Uses For Baby Food Jars

Snow Globes

My niece made snowglobes out of babyfood jars with her Girl Scout troop. Fill clean jars with water. Water can be tinted with food coloring if desired. Add glitter into the water (for the "snow"). Spraypaint the lids gold or silver or whatever color you like. Then hot glue small figurines or objects onto the inside of each lid, such as a tiny trees, animals, people, etc. Hot glue and screw on the lids (with the figures now inside) tightly. Let dry thoroughly. Hot glue ribbon around the edge of the lids if desired. Turn babyfood jars over and shake -- and watch the glitter swirl in the water like snow -- and you have snow globes! If any jars leak water, try to remove the lids and re-glue.

You can also put loose items into the jar with the water and glitter -- such as colored beads and metallic confetti cutouts -- that will float (and not disintegrate) and look pretty when the jar is shaken.

By Ness

Lighted Baby Food Jar Christmas Tree

• 33 (3-inch) baby food jars with lids
  • String of 35-bulb light set
  • 50 inches (3-inch wide) Christmas ribbon
  • Double-sided tape
  • 5 1/2 x 9-inch finished board for base
  • Small package silver roping tinsel
  • Tube of Liquid Nails Adhesive
  • Drill and bits

NOTE: Because Liquid Nails Adhesive is used as glue, each row of jars must dry overnight before next row is added. Project will take a number of days to complete.

Prepare the jars. Wash and dry all jars and lids.

Drill the holes. Before drilling holes in lids for the bulbs to fit into, drill practice holes in a board to determine appropriate bit size. Bulbs should fit snugly into holes. Drill holes in the center of all 33 lids. Place tinsel in all jars and replace lids.

Glue the jars. Line up 7 jars with caps up next to each other along a straight edge on a flat surface. Use Liquid Nails to glue jars together. Tie string around the row of jars to hold them in place. Let dry over night. Turn glued jars on side. Glue a row of six jars on top of the 7 jars. Let dry overnight.

Continue to glue a row each day until the last jar becomes the top of the tree. Make the tree trunk in the same way.

Assemble the tree. Glue tree trunk to the finished board. Let dry overnight. Glue large section of the tree onto the trunk. Let dry overnight. To attach ribbon to tree, start at top of tree trunk and apply double-sided tape around tree, ending on the opposite side of tree trunk. Place the ribbon over tape.

Insert the lights. Starting at the top, insert a light in each hole. Set the completed tree in a location of your choice, plug it in and light up!

By BeckyTN

Organizing Nails and Screws

In your garage or basement, you can nail/screw the lids to the undersides of your shelving, then put nails, screws, and other small fasteners in the jars and screw them onto the jar lids. Baby food jars are a good size for this, but you can also use larger jars. This provides a free, convenient, see-through way to organize.

By Claudia

Freezing Herbs

I was reading a book on Home Freezing this weekend. It talked about using baby food jars to freeze fresh herbs in. Pack fresh herbs tightly in the jars. Put lid on. Boil in water for 5 minutes. Cool and freeze. Take out what you need when you need it.

By Meari

"Gerber" Baby Food Craft

For my daughter's first birthday party, I made her into the "Gerber" baby by creating new "labels" for the jars. I started with a Word document and inserted a picture of her from my Kodak files, then shrunk the picture down to the size needed to fit the baby food jars. After that, to the left of the picture I typed "ingredients" to include mom, dad, grandparents, and added aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. On the right side of the picture I typed her birth statistics and her height/weight a year later.

I even inserted lines and bars to make her very own "barcode" with the numbers of her birthdate under each bar. I copied and pasted 6 or 7 to a page, cut them out, then glued them to the baby food jar. I filled them with M & Ms, Skittles, and cereal to give as gifts at her birthday party, and for table decorations.

Here's a link for making this craft:

By Donna

Uses for Baby Food Jars, Three Jars Full of Baby Food
Uses for Baby Food Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table