Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Uses for Antique China

Antique China Cups and Saucers

Antique china from broken sets, yard sales, and thrift stores can be repurposed in many fun and functional ways. Whether you use it in craft projects or under your potted plants, antique china is a lovely decorative item. This is a guide about uses for antique china.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Craft Project: Vintage China Pin Cushions

I have an annoying habit of picking up orphaned sugar bowls, creamers, and little teapots that have no lids, as well as old planters too small for plants and vintage fabric scraps too small for anything. in hopes of finding creative uses for them.

Lately I've been making pin cushions. Wouldn't these make cute table decorations? You could give as door prizes for a wedding or baby shower, mother-daughter banquet, red hat tea party, or any gathering of ladies? You can pick these up for as little as 25 cents, but if you need lots or are looking for a certain color or style, start collecting them well in advance of your event!

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

• old sugar bowls, small pitchers, teacups, teapots, tiny pottery planters, etc.
  • styrofoam ball, cut to fill the hole (or use tightly packed Fiberbill)
  • coordinating fabric scraps - vintage is best!
  • ribbon, beads, bows, tiny flowers, etc.
  • hot glue or tacky glue
  • fancy straight pins

Instructions:

1. Wash and dry your sugar bowl and sand off any chipped edges with an emery board.

2. Touch up chipped paint if desired and seal with light coating of varnish. (Dishes with missing lids are best because there is a "lip" around the hole where you can attach the Styrofoam ball. They're also really cheap!)

3. Cut Styrofoam ball to fit (or use Fiberfill).

4. Cover ball with fabric scrap and glue raw edges to back. Stretchy fabric works best.

5. Add ball to sugar bowl and glue in place.

6. Add trims as desired, strategically hiding cracks and chips with embellishments.

7. Small tags used by Scrapbookers may be tied on handles and used as place cards with the person's name.

8. Add pins.

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

Teacup Planters

An ivy plant in a china teacup with saucer.This simple project is a wonderful way to use the china teacups gathering dust on your shelves. Filled with soil and ivy they make dainty and long-lived planters.

Materials and Equipment:

• a large plastic bag or several sheets of newspaper
  • one or more teacups, preferably with saucers
  • potting soil, enough to fill a teacup
  • a tablespoon
  • small ivy plant, I find the slow growing variety "Glacier" works well

Instructions:

1. Clean and dry the teacup before starting. Clear the table and cover it with newspaper or a large garbage bag to avoid getting soil on the table.

2. Fill the bottom third of the teacup with potting soil.

3. Take the ivy out of its container and remove any pot-bound roots. Place the plant in the teacup.

4. Fill the rest of the teacup with soil, covering the roots of the ivy. Press the soil down with your spoon or hand.

5. Water lightly and place in indirect light. Fertilize every few weeks.

6. Remember that there are no drainage holes in the teacup, so water sparingly. If you over water, just tip the cup to drain the excess water out. My teacup planters have lived happily for several years following this advice!

By Christine Weber

Tip: Using Antique Plates as Plant Saucers

I found some really pretty glass plates at a resale shop that I just had to have. A number of my houseplants were in need of saucers. I find the plastic ones or even the clay ones to be kind of ugly. The plates I bought make perfect saucers and they aren't porous so I don't have to worry about them sitting on my wooden bookcases. :)

plant saucer 1 plant saucer 2 plant saucer 3

By

Tray from Vintage Dishes

Tiered serrving tray.Put this tray on your vanity or dresser to hold your jewelry or use it on your buffet to serve desserts or treats. It would also make a nice gift.

Approximate Time: About 15 minutes

• vintage plates (2 different sizes)
  • wine glass
  • silk or dried flowers
  • E6000 glue or porcelain glue

Instructions:

1. Place flowers inside of wine glass.

2. Put E6000 glue or other porcelain glue around bottom edge of wine glass and glue to center of large place.

3. Run another bead of glue around rim of glass and place smaller plate on top.

4. Allow to dry before using.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Tip: New Uses for Formal China Tableware Pieces

Table set for a holiday meal.During the holidays and other special occasions when I use my china, it has pieces that were for rather old fashioned formal services. So I use my formal pieces for other creative dishes. For example, my sugar dish held my cranberry sauce this Thanksgiving. This way, I can still use all my pieces.

By Linda from Rapid City, SD

Tip: "Vintage" Cake Platter

I had two china dinnerware plates stored in my cabinet; I wanted to display them or use them. I made matching cake platters. I used an inexpensive stemware piece, coarse sandpaper, quickset epoxy glue.

Sanding the bottom of the stemware piece and the bottom of the dinnerware plate, I dusted the pieces free of dust and debris; I mixed the epoxy glue and applied it to the bottom of the stemware piece and the center of the dinner plate. Attachment of the stemware piece onto the plate had to be centered. The piece was set aside for 24 hours to insure stability of the piece. The cake platter cannot be placed in the dishwasher; it must be hand-washed.

The china dinnerware plates were bought by my husband when he was in college in the early 1970's when grocery stores offered china patterns on a weekly basis. I had stored these two plates and now they are a "vintage" piece of dinnerware for me. I can proudly serve my family, friends and guests on my pretty cake platter or use at a tea party.

The bottom of the stemware is clear so at time of using this piece for entertaining, I will place a flower or another type of ornamental piece in it for decorative purposes.

By JOSE from Collierville, Tennessee

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!