Uses for Antique China

Antique china from broken sets, yard sales, and thrift stores can be repurposed in many fun and functional ways. Whether you use it in craft projects or under your potted plants, antique china is a lovely decorative item. This is a guide about uses for antique china.

Christine Weber5 found this helpful
May 2, 2006 Flag

This simple project is a wonderful way to use the china teacups gathering dust on your shelves. Filled with soil and ivy they make dainty and long-lived planters.

Materials and Equipment:

Instructions:

1. Clean and dry the teacup before starting. Clear the table and cover it with newspaper or a large garbage bag to avoid getting soil on the table.

2. Fill the bottom third of the teacup with potting soil.

3. Take the ivy out of its container and remove any pot-bound roots. Place the plant in the teacup.

4. Fill the rest of the teacup with soil, covering the roots of the ivy. Press the soil down with your spoon or hand.

5. Water lightly and place in indirect light. Fertilize every few weeks.

6. Remember that there are no drainage holes in the teacup, so water sparingly. If you over water, just tip the cup to drain the excess water out. My teacup planters have lived happily for several years following this advice!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with you, those teacups which are shoved to the back of the cabinets make such cute planters. I prefer though, to drill drainage holes in them as it is easier for the water to drain than pour from the cup. It just takes some patience and time especially if they're made of bone china. I put a masking tape on the part to be drilled and use the smallest tile/glass drill bit to make a indentation; then carefully drill away. I rest in between drilling time till the correct size drainage hole is achieved. Each project is a challenge but when I finish one, my happiness and satisfaction is unmatched by anything else.

April 24, 2009 Flag

Put this tray on your vanity or dresser to hold your jewelry or use it on your buffet to serve desserts or treats. It would also make a nice gift.

Approximate Time: About 15 minutes

Instructions:

1. Place flowers inside of wine glass.

2. Put E6000 glue or other porcelain glue around bottom edge of wine glass and glue to center of large place.

3. Run another bead of glue around rim of glass and place smaller plate on top.

4. Allow to dry before using.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I love this idea. I find vintage plates at yard sales and thrift stores all the time for sometimes a dime or a quarter! This would make a great wedding gift too!

July 21, 2009 Flag

sugar bowl pin cushion

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have an annoying habit of picking up orphaned sugar bowls, creamers, and little teapots that have no lids, as well as old planters too small for plants and vintage fabric scraps too small for anything, in hopes of finding creative uses for them.

May 23, 2013 Flag

plant saucer 1

I found some really pretty glass plates at a resale shop that I just had to have. A number of my houseplants were in need of saucers. I find the plastic ones or even the clay ones to be kind of ugly.

January 24, 2012 Flag

"Vintage" Cake Platter made from a china plate and stemware.

I had two china dinnerware plates stored in my cabinet; I wanted to display them or use them. I made matching cake platters. I used an inexpensive stemware piece, coarse sandpaper, quickset epoxy glue.

May 13, 2012 Flag

Table set for a holiday meal.

During the holidays and other special occasions when I use my china, it has pieces that were for rather old fashioned formal services. So I use my formal pieces for other creative dishes.

September 24, 2015 Flag

I used lots of old china and tea pots etc. Last year several of my tea pots and cups broke even though they were in a storage bin outside. I live in Michigan. Anyone else have this happen? How do I know what can stay out over the winter? I hate to make and sell stuff if it's gonna fall apart.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There could be many reasons for your broken china and cold temperatures may be one reason. As you state you use old china pieces that usually do not come with their original safety and handling requirements, you probably do not know what kind of care each piece may require.

There are no quality guarantees you can assume in purchasing, collecting, etc., of old china so, accordingly, you are not able to provide a guarantee of no defects, etc., if you sell old china.

Better Living Green Living ReusingJuly 17, 2013
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
China tea cup and saucer with floral pattern.
Cleaning Fine China Dishes
China Cup and Saucer
Appraising China
China tea cups
Selling Fine China
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 2:08:54 AM on 10.0.1.138 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.