Determining the Value of China

Category Miscellaneous
This is a page about determining the value of china. Whether you have a full set of china or just a few prized pieces, it can be hard to figure out how much it is worth. Often it's worth more to you than in monetary value, but some china can also be very valuable.

I am trying to figure out the value or background information on any of these styles. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

These pieces appear to be in $25-$45 dollar range but actually selling them for that price would still be a problem as this type of china is usually plentiful which brings the value down.

• Your pink salad plate Willow by Johnson Bros (England) is presently on sale at Replacements for $39.95 but they have 10 available so someone could buy more than one if needed to complete a set. It appears these have been for sale for a long time and I feel they will continue to reduce the price until they sell (their usual habit).
  • www.replacements.com/.../2855601
  • The pink color is more rare than the the blue Willow but it does not seem to increase the value.
  • One large 24" platter was listed for several months at $24.95 and did not sell.
  • www.ebay.com/.../273113952936?hash=item3f96dc32a8...
  • Here is a typical listing on eBay:
  • www.ebay.com/.../372243671788?hash=item56ab73aaec...
  • As to the other pieces, it is very difficult for a lay person to identify markings of this nature as they could be Chinese or Japanese and even then, we could only research if something similar has been sold or is on sale.
  • Advertisement

• There are several hundred similar markings and just one small line can make the difference in the brand/name so it would take a knowledgeable person to help you with your other pieces.
  • You might try finding a free china appraisal site on Google and sometimes these can be very helpful.
  • Check this link just as an example of how many different similar markings exist:
  • gotheborg.com/.../datedporcelain.shtml
  • Here is one site that does oftentimes help with identifying china items.
  • www.artifactcollectors.com/.../

I have a lot of antique china. Some is bone china and also rose gold. That's about all I know. I was hoping to get some more information on them and to find out if they hold any value. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Please look for markings on the bottom of your china and post any photos as china is produced by so many different US and foreign countries it would be almost impossible to identify a piece by just a photo.

• Almost all china of any value has markings of some kind (some are just symbols or numbers) so if there are no markings it probably means it may be pretty but may not be very notable and was probably mass produced and sold to many different companies as a low cost.
  • Advertisement

• If you look at just china cups listed for sale on eBay you will have a better idea of what I mean. You will find that almost all listings will have a name and markings.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_odkw=china&_osacat=870&_from...

Please let us know if you find markings and someone will try to help you.

How can I find out about this particular china? I brought it in Prague in 1990-91.

Answers

Best Answer

It will be difficult to find out very much about china without more information.

• You say that you purchased the set in Prague in 1990-1991 so I believe it may be safe to assume your set was made in Prague and not another country.
  • I believe it is a standard that china is stamped with some type of marking during the curing process so most likely your set will have some type of makings.
  • As a general rule, these markings will be on the underside of each piece of the set.
  • Please look for markings and show a photo of the marks as well as explain whatever you can about the marks as you will be able to see them close up.
  • There are too many brands of china for anyone to try and guess any details of your set without more to go on.
  • I thought it might be Thun but I did not see your pattern in their line-up of patterns.
  • You can do your own research on Google, eBay, Etsy, Park Lane and other sites once you locate the markings on your china.

If you can decipher the markings and determine a name then you can check for prices/value at Replacements as they have a large variety of china.

Here is a link to help you get started.

www.replacements.com/.../a.htm

It's a 46 piece set of Cunningham & Pickett 22kt gold. It says hand decorated Calirose Alliance Ohio. They are white with gold trim and painted pink roses on all of the pieces. It is a beautiful set.
Thanks for looking!

Answers

It is not an expensive set. eBay has many pieces for sale here: www.ebay.com/.../cunningham-pickett

I have a set of Sheridan, Noritake china with M in the insignia. It was made in Japan. US design, PAT. OW533 (hard to read). Any ideas what it might be worth? It is from the early part of last century.

By Susan B

Answers

Best Answer

Noritake china is ubiquitous in this country and most commonly used in restaurants, homes, airlines, etc. The import of Noritaki to the US from Japan started in 1910 so is not considered "antique" by Chinese researchers.
antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Noritake_China

I found 16 pieces of vintage or antique Schwarzburg Germany, gold rim pattern, 1904, white, 22K gold rim china. There are just 8 plates and 8 bowls. And all I could find online to match or give me a history was a platter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone help me with these please? I am not sure what to do with them. There are 3 sets of cups and saucers. They are lovely old sets. One set is a pink colour. They all have marks on the bottoms. This is one set.

Answers

Ask an antique dealer or a fine jewelry store where they also do bridal registry for china. They should have a book to be able to look it up.

It was hard for me to make out the marking completely. I thought it said, "Broopal France". I couldn't find anything. Type in the name online and see what comes up.

Those are Arcopals and they are gorgeous! I love them. Here is an Etsy listing for the same ones:

www.etsy.com/.../vintage-arcopal-demitasse-teacup...

I have some antique dishes, Flying Turkey, with the "M" mark in a wreath, "T" mark in a wreath or triangle, and "TT" in triangles. What are they worth (ball park)? They were made in the early 19th Century.

By Lana J. Jarvis from Colchester, VT

Answers

Why not take the plates to an appraiser. They would have the best idea of their value. There are many listed in the yellow pages.

I had a wall dish with rooster on. I contacted the company thru the internet. I sent a picture and they gave me a estimate appraisal thru e-mail. Of course if you do not have a name that would be hard to do.

An appraiser will charge you for the appraisal. You can find the answer for free. Kovels! You can go to this link and search and if you don't find at their site online for a free search of what you're looking for go to your local library and borrow as many years of Kovels books as you can. If your particular library does not have them on their shelves ask for an inter-library book loan. www.kovels.com/

Take a photo of your china and email it to Replacements, Ltd. They are in Greensboro, NC. They will help you identify your pattern. Good luck!

Oh, I forgot about Replacements LTD! Here's their link and you might find your pattern on a search there!

www.replacements.com/index.htm?s1=kx&982&

Flying Turkey is also known as Blue Phoenix; you may want to Google "Noritake pottery marks". Though you're dating them early 19th C., Noritake used the M ( yep, an M, not an N) within wreath mark from around 1914 when they started to do a lot of exporting up to 1940. This mark was used on many different Noritake pottery pieces, not just the Blue Phoenix, that pattern mainly surfaced and was popular in the USA in the 1920's.

That said, if the marks you find after Googling date your pieces to the 20's--they're still worth a little bit. Looking around on eBay and other websites is showing it not uncommon for a dinner plate alone to be going for $40 and up.

(I've been selling, mainly pottery, on eBay for about eight years. If you're planning on selling the pieces, be aware that an antique dealer will probably realistically only offer you about 25-30% of what your pieces are worth; and selling them as a complete set on eBay may not be the way to go, either shipping rates for weight for a large lot of dinnerware tends to bring out the buyers who want to let's-make-a-deal on the cost of the items to offset the shipping expense--and you also have to take into consideration the aggravation and possible breakage in transit that can go hand-in-hand with mailing huge boxes of dinnerware.)

If it were me, and I wanted to sell them, I'd break them up into small sets, like four dinner plates, four bread & butter plates; four soup bowls and so on making separate auctions. It's easier to manage shipping them and also easier to sell them, as there are always people looking for just a few replacement pieces as opposed to the full set.

Sorry if I jumped the gun on the selling thing and passed along way too much info, just think you have something really nice there and the eBayer in me kicked in. :)

Can someone tell me about these awesome cups I have found? They are Meito china made in Japan; hand painted. What is the pattern called? What year are they? What is the value?

I bought china at a yard sale. It looks very expensive and was made in China. She got it for her wedding 44 years ago. Any idea where to start on value?

I inherited this serving platter. It is antique flow blue. I would like to find out from mark on back who made it and the value of it today?

I need help to find out information on 22k china plates? I want to know what year they were manufactured and if they are worth anything. If there is anything you can tell me or if you can send me to the right link, I would appreciate it thank you.

I have few tea cups sets (just cups and saucers). I would like to find out the value of each set. I don't know where else to look. The blue ones are 14 cups and 14 saucers. I just need help to price them so I can sell the sets.

Thank you!

Anyone know about this awesome tea pot I have found? It is a Gibson Staffordshire England teapot. What is the pattern called? What year is it from?
What does the gold # mean? What is the value?

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMarch 22, 2019
🎄
🍂