Determining the Value of China

This is a page about determining the value of china. Whether you have a full set of china or just a few prized pieces, it can be hard to figure out how much it is worth. Often it's worth more to you than in monetary value, but some china can also be very valuable.

59 Questions

Are these 3 pieces of china worth anything? The photos include the bottoms showing the manufacturer of each piece.

Answers

Best Answer

I need to do these one at a time, so bear with me. The Minton planter is bone china. There are many of these for sale on eBay of the same pattern and size. They are all sitting UNSOLD at 29.99 to 35.00

Since value is what someone will pay and there are no sold examples, at the moment my best guidance is to start it at the lesser prices and take best offer.

Sadly I would not be surprised if the best offer was 10 or less. There is just a glut on the market at the moment and these type of sales are supply and demand based. High supply, low demand, drives down prices.

I will let you know about the others as soon as I get a chance to check them out! Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

The second piece is a Royal Worcester Evesham Pan Plate Tart Quiche Pie Fruit Porcelain England. It is consistently selling on eBay in the 9.99 range, with shipping.

I would start this at 11.99 and take best offer.

Best Answer

The Stebanville Trends piece is discontinued, per Replacements.com

www.replacements.com/.../stb1067g.htm

I cannot find a single example of a sold dinner plate like yours. There were some UNSOLD saucers priced at 5.00 for 8 of them. They have been sitting unsold for a while now.

You can see if Replacements.com will buy it, or you can start it high like 25.00 and take best offer, which may be as low as a dollar or two.

Sadly fine china is not on too many people's wish list any more and most patterns, even those that "back in the day" were very expensive, are sitting unsold or sell for pennies on the dollar.

If you can hold on it, it may come back in style.

Thanks for sharing your three lovelies! Please let me know if you need any other info.

Answer this Question

I am trying to identify my mother's tea set. She has 10 sets of cups, saucers, and plates plus a tea pot and sugar bowl (no creamer has been found).

The pictures identify it as being made in Bavaria, Western Germany.

Answer this Question

I have a complete (new) set of this china. It was a wedding gift to my grandparents (early 1900s). Any information (manufacturer, value, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Answer this Question

I just purchased this lovely china pattern. Based on the marking I think it is from 1905-1925. Can anyone tell me more about this pattern, ie.

artist or genre? Was it a transfer pattern or hand painted?

Thank you collectors for your help in answering my question.

Answers

Best Answer

i.pinimg.com/.../1dfc21764f2c7e12be52269e5f981f73...
This is the mark pattern dating c. 1940-1960. See above link.

John Aynsley began his business in 1775 in Longton Staffordshire, England on Lane End. The grandson, John Aynsley continued the business named Portland Works in 1861 using the Aynsley name when moving to another location in Longton Staffordshire, England on Sutherland Road.

A few well known companies purchased Aynsley China like Waterford, and presently Beleek. Markings changed with each owner.

I was not able to locate no. 5072 d., but it is interesting to note that the royal family purchased pieces of the Aynsley China as did Diana.

Best Answer

You do not say how many pieces you have but this is a lovely pattern.
The very best place to check china like this is Replacements.
I did check out the brand - John Aynsley - and they have a very large assortment of this brand.
I did not see your pattern but it's still possible they have it but even if they do not have it they will know all about it so check out their site for sure.
You can send them pictures and information on what you have and they will tell you if they are interested in buying. If so, they will quote you a price (which will probably be a good 40% lower than an 'insurance' appraisal).

I feel sure you do not wish to sell but you can obtain correct information about your pieces and also receive a low-ball figure (they intend to make money) of the value.

www.replacements.com/.../ayn.htm

www.replacements.com/contact-us.htm

Answer this Question

I would like to know the value to my Castleton China Severn pattern.

Answers

Best Answer

You do not state what pieces you have and that would determine the value.
China (all brands/types) are very slow sellers as very few people are really wanting sets of china anymore.
The world has moved to mostly casual dining and the younger crowd just want something that is plain and dishwasher safe - and easy to replace at local stores. This type store - Walmart and Target type stores - also sells the type of dinnerware that a large majority of people use today.

There is a set of this pattern listed on eBay - check their pieces against yours - so you might place a watch on this listing to see if it sells. This is the asking price and has no relation to the 'current value' as only a sold item can tell what someone was willing to pay. Asking prices are just prices a seller would like to receive for their items.

www.ebay.com/.../274132253520?hash=item3fd38e3b50...

There has only been one plate sold on eBay over the past several months so that shows that it is not a fast seller even in individual pieces.

Replacements.com has some pieces listed so you can see what these are listed at but these prices are above what the general public can expect to receive for the same pieces.

www.replacements.com/.../c__sev.htm

You can contact Replacements to see if they are interested in buying your set. They will want a few pictures and an exact list of the items you have. If they are interested in buying they will quote you a figure (which may not be very high) but you would be responsible for packing and shipping and insurance. They will not usually give you any information on the value of the set - unless they wish to buy. They do not do appraisals.
Here is their contact information.

www.replacements.com/contact-us.htm

Someone may be able to provide more information if you post the type and number of pieces you have available.

Best Answer

You best bet is to go to this website and see how much they charge for each replacement plate, serving platter, bowls and all other items. Then yu can figure this out by the number of servings in your set. Just keep in mind this may not be the real value of the set, but it can give you a good idea how much it is worth if you bought the piece to create your own set. Now look online and see what the asking price is. Compare the two prices and start around the middle to list the set. Also this may take a very long time to sell this set. www.replacements.com/.../c__sev.htm. Maybe this site will buy it from you. It is worth a try.

Answer this Question

I have a complete set of 12 in mint condition in the original box. Markings include Fairmont 625.

Answer this Question

What is the value of blue and white Haviland china including, 4 teacups, 6 small bowls, and a sugar saucer with lid?

Answers

Best Answer

Looks like the blue garland pattern.

Tea cups are selling (eBay SOLD prices--not asking) for 3.75 each for sets of four that is $14.99 each + shipping.

Bowls, if they are the 7 1/2 inch ones have SOLD prices of 7.49 each (also sold in sets of four). The one set was sold where the seller paid the shipping so you can cut that value in half since shipping is very costly.

The sugar bowl is selling (SOLD prices again) for $12.00 each.

The prices I am quoting are for pristine pieces with little to no wear. Even one chip or ding and any sign of wear will devalue them by at least $2 a piece.

If you are looking for a one and done way to sell them, I would ask Replacements.com if they are buying and get them to send you a quote sheet. If you like what they offer, you pack and ship (follow their instructions to the letter) and in a few weeks you get a check.

IF you don't want to mess with shipping, I suggest a local venue like a consignment store so you share the percentage of sale and have no hassles.

The prices I am giving you are considered re-sale retail...which you could try to fetch on eBay if you want to sell them yourself.

Any other method you will get less, but it is a much easier way to sell highly breakable items like these lovelies!

Answer this Question

I have few tea cups sets (just cups and saucers). I would like to find out the value of each set. I don't know where else to look. The blue ones are 14 cups and 14 saucers. I just need help to price them so I can sell the sets.

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

So the next one, the Royal Crown Derby is selling (SOLD PRICE) for $45 for 1 cup/saucer. That is pretty amazing to me as most china I have researched lately has very little value--but this pattern seems to be still quite valuable. This is the sold auction:

www.ebay.com/.../254370250994?hash=item3b39a600f2...

If you want to maximize your profits on your sale, it is critical to research each set (I didn't see at first you have multiple sets, I thought you just had 2).

This step is important so you know today's market value on your pieces (which = sold prices) and so you don't under cut yourself or try to get too much for something that has no value and you waste a lot of time).

To research, type what is on the back the piece into eBay's search engine. Match your piece to what is SOLD (select the sold button) and that gives you today's market value for the item--like I share above.

My guess is some will have value like the Royal Crown pieces and some will not, like the pretty blue and white set.

If you are not an experienced seller, I suggest having an estate sale company or a consignment store sell them for you so you get the maximum value for your items. You will get a percentage of the sale--basically paying them for the hassle of selling it for you.

If you are an experienced eBay is the best place to sell using the sold values described above as a guide for pricing. When you ship be use to use the box in box technique where each piece is wrapped in bubble wrap, then cardboard, then boxed. None of the inside boxes can touch (use packing peanuts between them). Be sure to pack your items BEFORE LISTING (DON'T SEAL JUST WRAP) so you know the weight and size of the box to put into eBay's shipping tool.

Best wishes on yours sales!! Post back with updates!

Answer this Question

I am trying to figure out the value or background information on any of these styles. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

These pieces appear to be in $25-$45 dollar range but actually selling them for that price would still be a problem as this type of china is usually plentiful which brings the value down.

• Your pink salad plate Willow by Johnson Bros (England) is presently on sale at Replacements for $39.95 but they have 10 available so someone could buy more than one if needed to complete a set. It appears these have been for sale for a long time and I feel they will continue to reduce the price until they sell (their usual habit).
  • www.replacements.com/.../2855601
  • The pink color is more rare than the the blue Willow but it does not seem to increase the value.
  • One large 24" platter was listed for several months at $24.95 and did not sell.
  • www.ebay.com/.../273113952936?hash=item3f96dc32a8...
  • Here is a typical listing on eBay:
  • www.ebay.com/.../372243671788?hash=item56ab73aaec...
  • As to the other pieces, it is very difficult for a lay person to identify markings of this nature as they could be Chinese or Japanese and even then, we could only research if something similar has been sold or is on sale.
  • There are several hundred similar markings and just one small line can make the difference in the brand/name so it would take a knowledgeable person to help you with your other pieces.
  • You might try finding a free china appraisal site on Google and sometimes these can be very helpful.
  • Check this link just as an example of how many different similar markings exist:
  • gotheborg.com/.../datedporcelain.shtml
  • Here is one site that does oftentimes help with identifying china items.
  • www.artifactcollectors.com/.../
Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMarch 22, 2019
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Determining-the-Value-of-China.html