Appraising China

Category Miscellaneous
Determining the value of fine china can be accomplished in a number of ways. This guide is about appraising china.

I recently found this and fell in love. But I am a re-seller so I need to know the value. I have looked on eBay till my eyes twitched.

I can't seem to find it on Google, either. The markings on the back do not help. Does anyone know what it means/says and if you have seen it? Thanks for any/all help.

Answers

Best Answer

So here are my thoughts....

I think it is from Latvia.

Here are is a link of why I think that:

www.alamy.com/.../latvia-made-in-blue-vintage.htm

Here is a list of all countries that end in A...if you want to try others:

youthworkinit.com/.../Countries-Ending-in-A.pdf

If it is from Latvia, Replacements most likely won't be able to help you. We tried getting them to buy my grandma's dishes from Hungary (which were probably 80-100 years old) and they wanted no parts of them and could not ID them. I love Replacements, but they are not good for some things.

There are not a lot of items from Latvia on eBay at the moment, but those plates that are, are all unsold and some as low as 99 cents. NONE MATCH YOURS so I am not saying that is your value...you would need to find an exact match to yours on eBay or another site to get today's current market value.

You could also take it to a vintage store and see if they can give you a value.

Thanks for sharing it!! It is very lovely!!! You could just try to resell it as a grape and floral pattern plate and hope for the best on a 7 day auction...let the market dictate the price.

People still love grape patterns and it is quite colorful and would look lovely on someones holiday table.

Post back what you decide and what you get for it as I always like to know how things turn out!!

Best Answer

Hi,

I love the pattern on this piece. There is a site that you can upload a photo of your dish and they will help with identification of the pattern.

Here it is:
patternid.replacements.com/

I hope this helps you in some way.

--Robyn

Does anyone recognize this? Look closely at the image inside the cup. It is the perfect image of a Chinese woman. I found it by accident while cleaning it. I have a whole set of tea cups and saucers, teapot, sugar and creamer, and a cake plate with 6 matching dishes. Absolutely gorgeous!

It was passed down to me by my mother. It was one of her wedding gifts about 70 years ago. I always thought it was strange that there is no brand name on the back of the items. They are all blank, until I saw the image of the face. Did I just discover something valuable?

Answers

I don't know the value of your set, however, a bit of searching for "Japanese china with image of geisha in cups" might help. There were several sites that came up when I googled the topic, with different images and designs. Good luck. They are beautiful.

These are called lithophane cups and are very collectible. The value depends upon the condition. This article explains it very well: http://www.arti  ne-cups-614.html

These are very collectible cups but do not always bring a big price when actually sold. But since you have a complete set it is possible yours would be valuable.

I love to use eBay as a guide because it is a very large site that gets a lot of traffic and gives me a better chance of finding "true" value - what people will actually pay for an item.

Here is a link to present Geisha Lithophane listed on eBay:

http://www.ebay  ne+&_sacat=0

Here is a link that shows what some actually sold for:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

But if you want a pretty accurate idea as to the true value of your set, you can ask your question here and someone will try to help you:

http://communit  rcelain/bd-p/275

It looks like a Japanese litho pane set. The single geisha is not worth as much as the double giesha or some of the more ornate or sexy ones. It is nice that you have an entire set which would raise the value.

I'm trying to find out about French Saxon china. It says 22 carat gold on the bottom.

Answers

Here are a bunch of French Saxon plates. Do any of yours match?

https://www.ets  M7e-eBoCjMbw_wcB

No but I will send u a pic

The Sebring Historical Society has a lot of information and pictures on this type of china: http://www.sebr  frenchSaxon.html

Maybe you can find your pattern on Replacements:

http://www.repl  ery=french+saxon

A large amount of Saxon china has 22 carat gold but there are several patterns now listed on eBay that you may find your pattern.

http://www.ebay  ina&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

This site has photos of many pieces also:

http://www.sebr  frenchSaxon.html

I have a set of Nu Orleans china, made by Summerfield, from the 70's. It is an 8 piece setting with extra pieces, white with silver wheat leaves. Does anyone know about this china? Is it worth anything?

Thank you,
Jodee from MS

Answers

Don't know Summerfield - But you could do a Google search & see what you can find out about the brand. Where is it made? Japan/U.S. - Is it bone china (more valuable) or of lesser quality - should say on label. Also go on EBay to see if you can find anything similar there to price it out.

By kathy. (Guest Post)

I had some china from the 60's and I e-mailed replacements.com, unfortunately my dishes were not valuable, but you never know, you can send a picture of the front and back of a plate and they will tell you if they are worth anything. Sometimes if there is a demand for your pattern, they'll offer to buy them. Good luck!

Jodee, go to Ebay and enter your search as "Norleans china, Summerfield pattern." There are several pieces there for sale so you can get an idea of what they're trying to sell it for. You can also google "replacement china" and find websites that you can check for that pattern to see what they are charging for replacement pieces to get an idea.

Go to replacements.com they hundreds of patterns of china and you can look yours up and see if there is value to your set.

I bought a storage unit and inside were several boxes marked, china, so I have a lot of china that I know nothing about and can't seem to find it anywhere. Some are marked, from Italy 66312 py. The py has a circle around it and Kickard Athenian 1041.

My grandmother gave me her antique china set before she passed away. I am having a hard time trying to find any like it. It is an entire set with every piece included. It has the dinner plates, cups, saucers, bowels, gravy dish, etc. It comes in zippered cloth cases. The dishes are white with a silver lining. Unfortunately, all it says on the bottom is "Westinghouse." I know she had them for at least 50 years.

As I do research online searching for Westinghouse china dinnerware, all I can find is information that the Hall China company made some dinnerware/china for Westinghouse, but the images I find are nothing like the set I have. I am just trying to find out any additional information about this particular set. I am in no way interested in getting rid of it. It would just be nice to know what the value of it is. If anyone has anymore information on it, that would be so fantastic. As I stated above, it is a very simple, yet pretty set with white dishes with silver lining, says Westinghouse on the back of everything, comes in green cloth zipper cases.

Thanks.

Answers

google china patterns, there is a website out there but i cannot remember it off the top of my head, replacementsinc.com perhaps?

I tried, I still cannot find the same set. Strange....

Anonymous

Kovels price guide

There is no mark or stamp on this set. It's for 6 people.

I have a vast collection of antique dishes left to me by my father who recently passed. It includes everything from pieces from China, to occupied Japan, Germany, Italy, etc. I need an appraiser in Colorado, can you help?

By Tammy W

I'm new here. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the value of some of my pieces that I found at farmer's markets and yard sales. I am looking to make some extra money from them since we are remodeling our home and could certainly use the money right now. Any help is appreciated.

I just found this in our Salvation Army for $1.99. I can't find anything on this specific piece online, although the company makes beautiful china and pottery. Does anyone know anything about this? It is about 3 inches in diameter.

Answers

From what I am seeing on eBay and etsy, these are worth around $10

I have a small saucer that I would like to figure out what it is worth! It has a name on the back of it, but I can't tell what the letters are. I have enclosed a picture of front and back. I don't have any other pieces that match this saucer. I bought it at a thrift store! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

Go to Replacements.com to find out about your china piece - they are right up the road from me - its truly wonderful to go see all of their china pieces that they have; the place is HUGE...they will buy from you OR you can sell to them. Check out their website at Replacements.com and keep us posted on what you find out!

I have a 22-piece espresso and dessert demitasse set, made by Schwarzenhammer Bavaria West Germany. There are 6 cups and saucers, 6 dessert plates, a pedestal dessert plate, coffee pot, sugar and creamer. I don't know the name of the pattern, but it is floral with gold. The plates are pierced around the edge and multi-sided. According to http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/bavaria/schwarzenhammer-01/, the mark 1-23 indicates: Used around 1955, with 'WESTERN GERMANY' as part of the mark. All pieces are in excellent condition. Can you tell me what the approximate value of this set would be? Thank you.

By Laurie W. from LaBelle, FL

Answers

You can search ebay and other websites for answers or take the collection to an auction house for an estimate.