Appraising China?

I am having trouble identifying this mark for Johnson Brothers dishware. What is it worth, and what period is it from?

Answers

Best Answer

You have Johnson Brothers England Athena. Athena is the name of the pattern.
The backstamp (mark) was used in 1950-1959 (c.) www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/details.aspx?ResourceID=19543&ExhibitionID...
You didn't write how many pieces you have. For example the prize for a set of 3-4 Cup & Saucer is $26-30, teapot $42
www.ebay.com/.../373489735053?hash=item56f5b9158d...
www.ebay.com/.../114377215837?hash=item1aa169cf5d...

Best Answer

It appears the mark you're displaying is the earlier mark that was used in the 1950's. The Athena pattern was made in the 50's through 1999 and several marks were used after this crown mark was discontinued.
Athena was the favored pattern bought by restaurants so you will see a lot of different marks that probably represent the dates produced as well as the primary sales target.
You will find many pieces listed online as 'ironstone' but it is true ironstone only if it has that printed on the back. Some pieces will have microwave safe listed also.
I do not know if all of your pieces have the same mark but in checking listings it is rare that all pieces will have the same marks which means each piece is from a different time period as well.

I'm not sure any of this makes any difference in use or value but it is different than any other pattern that I've researched.
Example:
This listing for 5 salad plates has 3 different marks:
www.etsy.com/.../set-of-5-vintage-johnson-brothers...

You can check out the sold listings on eBay to get an idea of true value and the low number of pieces that are actually selling.
www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=johnson+brothers...

I do not believe it would be a good idea to list as a set but maybe in groups of 4.

Answer this Question

23 More Questions

I have had this 23 piece Tuscan fine English bone china tea set for many years now. I am unsure of its value or how far back it dates. Can someone maybe advise?

Answers

Best Answer

R H & S L Plant (Ltd) began its production c.1898. In 1966 it was acquired by the holding company Wedgwood, RH & SL Plant Ltd. was re-named "Royal Tuscan". Marks post 1902 include the trade-name 'TUSCAN'. The mark with note the introduction of the wording "FINE ENGLISH BONE CHINA" has been in use since 1947.
You have 1940s Tuscan Fine English Bone China Blenheim Pattern Set.
You can sell the pieces separately. The price is: Sugar Bowl $5, Plate $7-13, Cup and Saucer $25 www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675...

Best Answer

Very pretty.
Someone buying this type of set usually purchases it for display purposes so you may be able to sell it as a set.
A sale may happen but shipping will be a tremendous undertaking as if even one piece gets broken the buyer may not want the set so be sure that you know how to wrap and pack extremely fragile items.

Your pattern - R H & S L Plant (Ltd) - Tuscan Bone China Blenheim is not plentiful but does not appear to be rare.
This pattern appears to have at least 2 different shapes of cups (you have some of both). larger cup is coffee cup and your 2 smaller cups are tea cups.It also has different types of teapots/coffee pot and also different sugar bowls.
You can see some of the pieces on Replacements:
www.replacements.com/.../105915

Two 'sets' have sold recently (one in US) but they are not identical to yours - different pieces.
This one sold for $100 plus shipping but I see that shipping cost was probably underestimated - too low.
This one does not have a teapot.
www.ebay.com/.../203270816228?hash=item2f53e281e4...

This set sold in UK for GBP 75 ($103.) but it is just the coffee set - larger pot and cups:
www.ebay.com/.../164659685129?hash=item26567b6709...

I believe you could list your set with a higher starting price with best offer considered, free local pick up and also state real shipping cost. Maybe consider $150-$175 plus shipping and if no offers lower the price.

Otherwise you could list them in groups and price them accordingly.

Answer this Question

Hi I would like to know about this Arzberg set. It has multiple maker's stamps, could I market as set and is it worth anything?

6 X dinner plates
6 X bread plates

12 X saucers
6 X soup bowls
5 X coffee cups with saucers

Answers

Best Answer

I do not think it could really be called a 'set' and sets are more difficult to sell and very difficult to pack and ship. Shipping is also very expensive when dealing with this many pieces of china.

I believe this style/pattern was generally sold to the restaurant trade so that is probably the reason there are so many different marks on your pieces.
"Arzberg Hotel & Restaurant 2018 Catalogue
Published on Jun 20, 2018
Made in Germany, durable, functional and aesthetically perfect;
Arzberg is the epitome of premium quality porcelain."
issuu.com/.../xa9030_2018_arz_hotel_cat_mr

here is a plate like your #141 that sold for $9.99.
www.ebay.co.uk/.../154147631053?mkevt=1&toolid=10001...

You might want to try selling in singles or groups of 2-6 pieces so perhaps they will be easier to pack and ship.
It will take longer to sell all of the groups but you will receive more money in the long run.
Your cups appear to be demitasse cups (?) - if so, these should be sold as a set if possible.

You can check out the prices for your pieces on Replacements so you can get a general idea of what level to price your pieces.
Your prices should be started lower that Replacements but you can start high and if not sales you can lower your prices.
www.replacements.com/.../2693

Best Answer

Judging by the maker's stamps, your pieces were manufactured in 1960-70's. The manufacturer is the German factory Arzberg (Bayern), which has a very complex history, and in different years it was called differently. In your photos with stamps, the stamp on the first and third pieces was used in 1960-1974 by Porzellanfabrik Arzberg. design20.eu/.../ The stamp in the second photo was used by Porzellanfabrik Arzberg too. The stamp on the fourth photograph was used in the 1970s by Porzellanfabrik Carl Schumann. www.porzellanstrasse.de/.../bodenmarken-nach-orten.html www.design-mkt.com/104026-vintage-teapot-set-coffee...

The name of the pattern of your pieces is Athena White. www.replacements.com/.../2741
The price of a Cup & Saucer $10, Bread & Butter Plate $10, Dinner Plate $75, Salad Plate $26, Saucer for Cream Soup Bowl $8.

Answer this Question

I recently found this and fell in love. But I am a re-seller so I need to know the value. I have looked on eBay till my eyes twitched.

I can't seem to find it on Google, either.

The markings on the back do not help. Does anyone know what it means/says and if you have seen it? Thanks for any/all help.

Answers

Best Answer

So here are my thoughts....

I think it is from Latvia.

Here are is a link of why I think that:

www.alamy.com/.../latvia-made-in-blue-vintage.htm

Here is a list of all countries that end in A...if you want to try others:

youthworkinit.com/.../Countries-Ending-in-A.pdf

If it is from Latvia, Replacements most likely won't be able to help you. We tried getting them to buy my grandma's dishes from Hungary (which were probably 80-100 years old) and they wanted no parts of them and could not ID them. I love Replacements, but they are not good for some things.

There are not a lot of items from Latvia on eBay at the moment, but those plates that are, are all unsold and some as low as 99 cents. NONE MATCH YOURS so I am not saying that is your value...you would need to find an exact match to yours on eBay or another site to get today's current market value.

You could also take it to a vintage store and see if they can give you a value.

Thanks for sharing it!! It is very lovely!!! You could just try to resell it as a grape and floral pattern plate and hope for the best on a 7 day auction...let the market dictate the price.

People still love grape patterns and it is quite colorful and would look lovely on someones holiday table.

Post back what you decide and what you get for it as I always like to know how things turn out!!

Answer this Question

I'm trying to find out about French Saxon china. It says 22 carat gold on the bottom.

Answers

Best Answer

Maybe you can find your pattern on Replacements:

www.replacements.com/.../?query=french+saxon

A large amount of Saxon china has 22 carat gold but there are several patterns now listed on eBay that you may find your pattern.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5508.m570...

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=french...

This site has photos of many pieces also:

www.sebringohiohistoricalsociety.../frenchSaxon.html

Answer this Question

Does anyone recognize this? Look closely at the image inside the cup. It is the perfect image of a Chinese woman. I found it by accident while cleaning it. I have a whole set of tea cups and saucers, teapot, sugar and creamer, and a cake plate with 6 matching dishes. Absolutely gorgeous!

It was passed down to me by my mother. It was one of her wedding gifts about 70 years ago. I always thought it was strange that there is no brand name on the back of the items. They are all blank, until I saw the image of the face. Did I just discover something valuable?

I have a set of Empress, Crown Victoria Collection china. I believe it was from the 50s or 60s.

I purchased a 12 piece Warwick set of china with a rose pattern and beautiful gold trim. It's about 80 years old I'm told. I would like to sell it, but what to know for how much.

I have a set of Nu Orleans china, made by Summerfield, from the 70's. It is an 8 piece setting with extra pieces, white with silver wheat leaves. Does anyone know about this china? Is it worth anything?

Thank you,
Jodee from MS

Answers

Don't know Summerfield - But you could do a Google search & see what you can find out about the brand. Where is it made? Japan/U.S. - Is it bone china (more valuable) or of lesser quality - should say on label. Also go on EBay to see if you can find anything similar there to price it out.

By kathy. (Guest Post)

I had some china from the 60's and I e-mailed replacements.com, unfortunately my dishes were not valuable, but you never know, you can send a picture of the front and back of a plate and they will tell you if they are worth anything. Sometimes if there is a demand for your pattern, they'll offer to buy them. Good luck!

Jodee, go to Ebay and enter your search as "Norleans china, Summerfield pattern." There are several pieces there for sale so you can get an idea of what they're trying to sell it for. You can also google "replacement china" and find websites that you can check for that pattern to see what they are charging for replacement pieces to get an idea.

Go to replacements.com they hundreds of patterns of china and you can look yours up and see if there is value to your set.

Answer this Question

How much is my great grandmother's fine china worth? We have 6 saucers and 6 tea cups. The back of the china reads April 1, 1924. The Dresden style. Rosen Thale brand I believe. Can anyone provide insight?

Can an item be tracked by the patent number? Can't find a tea cup and saucer like it.

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMay 16, 2012
🌻
🐛
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf74686590.tip.html