Appraising China

Category Miscellaneous
Determining the value of fine china can be accomplished in a number of ways. This guide is about appraising china.

Finding a reputable appraiser is one of the better ways to determine the value of your bone china. This is a guide about finding the value of English bone china.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I am trying to figure out the value or background information on any of these styles. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

These pieces appear to be in $25-$45 dollar range but actually selling them for that price would still be a problem as this type of china is usually plentiful which brings the value down.

• Your pink salad plate Willow by Johnson Bros (England) is presently on sale at Replacements for $39.95 but they have 10 available so someone could buy more than one if needed to complete a set. It appears these have been for sale for a long time and I feel they will continue to reduce the price until they sell (their usual habit).
  • www.replacements.com/.../2855601
  • The pink color is more rare than the the blue Willow but it does not seem to increase the value.
  • One large 24" platter was listed for several months at $24.95 and did not sell.
  • www.ebay.com/.../273113952936?hash=item3f96dc32a8...
  • Here is a typical listing on eBay:
  • www.ebay.com/.../372243671788?hash=item56ab73aaec...
  • As to the other pieces, it is very difficult for a lay person to identify markings of this nature as they could be Chinese or Japanese and even then, we could only research if something similar has been sold or is on sale.
  • Ad

• There are several hundred similar markings and just one small line can make the difference in the brand/name so it would take a knowledgeable person to help you with your other pieces.
  • You might try finding a free china appraisal site on Google and sometimes these can be very helpful.
  • Check this link just as an example of how many different similar markings exist:
  • gotheborg.com/.../datedporcelain.shtml
  • Here is one site that does oftentimes help with identifying china items.
  • www.artifactcollectors.com/.../

I have a lot of antique china. Some is bone china and also rose gold. That's about all I know. I was hoping to get some more information on them and to find out if they hold any value. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Please look for markings on the bottom of your china and post any photos as china is produced by so many different US and foreign countries it would be almost impossible to identify a piece by just a photo.

• Almost all china of any value has markings of some kind (some are just symbols or numbers) so if there are no markings it probably means it may be pretty but may not be very notable and was probably mass produced and sold to many different companies as a low cost.
  • Ad

• If you look at just china cups listed for sale on eBay you will have a better idea of what I mean. You will find that almost all listings will have a name and markings.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_odkw=china&_osacat=870...

Please let us know if you find markings and someone will try to help you.

How can I find out about this particular china? I brought it in Prague in 1990-91.

Answers

Best Answer

It will be difficult to find out very much about china without more information.

• You say that you purchased the set in Prague in 1990-1991 so I believe it may be safe to assume your set was made in Prague and not another country.
  • I believe it is a standard that china is stamped with some type of marking during the curing process so most likely your set will have some type of makings.
  • As a general rule, these markings will be on the underside of each piece of the set.
  • Please look for markings and show a photo of the marks as well as explain whatever you can about the marks as you will be able to see them close up.
  • There are too many brands of china for anyone to try and guess any details of your set without more to go on.
  • I thought it might be Thun but I did not see your pattern in their line-up of patterns.
  • You can do your own research on Google, eBay, Etsy, Park Lane and other sites once you locate the markings on your china.

If you can decipher the markings and determine a name then you can check for prices/value at Replacements as they have a large variety of china.

Here is a link to help you get started.

https://www.rep  china/manu/a.htm

Does anyone recognize this? Look closely at the image inside the cup. It is the perfect image of a Chinese woman. I found it by accident while cleaning it. I have a whole set of tea cups and saucers, teapot, sugar and creamer, and a cake plate with 6 matching dishes. Absolutely gorgeous! It was passed down to me by my mother. It was one of her wedding gifts about 70 years ago. I always thought it was strange that there is no brand name on the back of the items. They are all blank, until I saw the image of the face. Did I just discover something valuable?

Answers

I don't know the value of your set, however, a bit of searching for "Japanese china with image of geisha in cups" might help. There were several sites that came up when I googled the topic, with different images and designs. Good luck. They are beautiful.

These are called lithophane cups and are very collectible. The value depends upon the condition. This article explains it very well: http://www.arti  ne-cups-614.html

Can anyone help me with these please? I am not sure what to do with them. There are 3 sets of cups and saucers. They are lovely old sets. One set is a pink colour. They all have marks on the bottoms. This is one set.

I have some antique dishes, Flying Turkey, with the "M" mark in a wreath, "T" mark in a wreath or triangle, and "TT" in triangles. What are they worth (ball park)? They were made in the early 19th Century.

By Lana J. Jarvis from Colchester, VT

Answers

Why not take the plates to an appraiser. They would have the best idea of their value. There are many listed in the yellow pages.

I had a wall dish with rooster on. I contacted the company thru the internet. I sent a picture and they gave me a estimate appraisal thru e-mail. Of course if you do not have a name that would be hard to do.

Anonymous

An appraiser will charge you for the appraisal. You can find the answer for free. Kovels! You can go to this link and search and if you don't find at their site online for a free search of what you're looking for go to your local library and borrow as many years of Kovels books as you can. If your particular library does not have them on their shelves ask for an inter-library book loan. http://www.kovels.com/

Take a photo of your china and email it to Replacements, Ltd. They are in Greensboro, NC. They will help you identify your pattern. Good luck!

Anonymous

Oh, I forgot about Replacements LTD! Here's their link and you might find your pattern on a search there!

http://www.repl  =kx&982&

Flying Turkey is also known as Blue Phoenix; you may want to Google "Noritake pottery marks". Though you're dating them early 19th C., Noritake used the M ( yep, an M, not an N) within wreath mark from around 1914 when they started to do a lot of exporting up to 1940. This mark was used on many different Noritake pottery pieces, not just the Blue Phoenix, that pattern mainly surfaced and was popular in the USA in the 1920's.

That said, if the marks you find after Googling date your pieces to the 20's--they're still worth a little bit. Looking around on eBay and other websites is showing it not uncommon for a dinner plate alone to be going for $40 and up.

(I've been selling, mainly pottery, on eBay for about eight years. If you're planning on selling the pieces, be aware that an antique dealer will probably realistically only offer you about 25-30% of what your pieces are worth; and selling them as a complete set on eBay may not be the way to go, either shipping rates for weight for a large lot of dinnerware tends to bring out the buyers who want to let's-make-a-deal on the cost of the items to offset the shipping expense--and you also have to take into consideration the aggravation and possible breakage in transit that can go hand-in-hand with mailing huge boxes of dinnerware.)

If it were me, and I wanted to sell them, I'd break them up into small sets, like four dinner plates, four bread & butter plates; four soup bowls and so on making separate auctions. It's easier to manage shipping them and also easier to sell them, as there are always people looking for just a few replacement pieces as opposed to the full set.

Sorry if I jumped the gun on the selling thing and passed along way too much info, just think you have something really nice there and the eBayer in me kicked in. :)

I'm trying to find out about French Saxon china. It says 22 carat gold on the bottom.

I need help to find out information on 22k china plates? I want to know what year they were manufactured and if they are worth anything. If there is anything you can tell me or if you can send me to the right link, I would appreciate it thank you.

I bought a set of this at an estate sale and was curious of the value. The set includes sixteen cups, twelve saucers, twelve dinner plates, twelve salad plates, twelve bowls, a round serving platter, a creamer pitcher and a sugar bowl. Thanks!

I have a set of Johann Haviland china from Bavaria Germany that my grandmother left to me. Is it worth anything?

I have a set of Nu Orleans china, made by Summerfield, from the 70's. It is an 8 piece setting with extra pieces, white with silver wheat leaves. Does anyone know about this china? Is it worth anything?

Thank you,
Jodee from MS

Answers

Don't know Summerfield - But you could do a Google search & see what you can find out about the brand. Where is it made? Japan/U.S. - Is it bone china (more valuable) or of lesser quality - should say on label. Also go on EBay to see if you can find anything similar there to price it out.

By kathy. (Guest Post)

I had some china from the 60's and I e-mailed replacements.com, unfortunately my dishes were not valuable, but you never know, you can send a picture of the front and back of a plate and they will tell you if they are worth anything. Sometimes if there is a demand for your pattern, they'll offer to buy them. Good luck!

Jodee, go to Ebay and enter your search as "Norleans china, Summerfield pattern." There are several pieces there for sale so you can get an idea of what they're trying to sell it for. You can also google "replacement china" and find websites that you can check for that pattern to see what they are charging for replacement pieces to get an idea.

Go to replacements.com they hundreds of patterns of china and you can look yours up and see if there is value to your set.

My grandmother gave me her antique china set before she passed away. I am having a hard time trying to find any like it. It is an entire set with every piece included. It has the dinner plates, cups, saucers, bowels, gravy dish, etc. It comes in zippered cloth cases. The dishes are white with a silver lining. Unfortunately, all it says on the bottom is "Westinghouse." I know she had them for at least 50 years.

As I do research online searching for Westinghouse china dinnerware, all I can find is information that the Hall China company made some dinnerware/china for Westinghouse, but the images I find are nothing like the set I have. I am just trying to find out any additional information about this particular set. I am in no way interested in getting rid of it. It would just be nice to know what the value of it is. If anyone has anymore information on it, that would be so fantastic. As I stated above, it is a very simple, yet pretty set with white dishes with silver lining, says Westinghouse on the back of everything, comes in green cloth zipper cases.

Thanks.

I have several sets of china and I would like to find their value. The first is a set of fine Mikasa china. I also have a set of Meito Norleans, and lastly a set of set of Kings Court china, Serenity pattern.

By S.S.

I have an 8 piece place setting of Royal Doulton china in the Rhodes pattern. I have the serving pieces, napkin rings, cake plate, and soup bowls, too.

By Gail C. from Northford, CT

How do I find the value of colonial dishes? These have been in the family over 60 years.

By Brenda

Answers

I know that I've sen shows like Antique Roadshow and Treasure Hunter. I'm sure they have a website that may be able to help. Hope this tips helps.

Often eBay has the answer. Use the search engine there and see if you can find it. I don't think that you have to have an account to do this.

www.whatsitworthtoyou.com is a very good online appraisal website. Just Upload a picture and tell what you know about the dishes. They will come back and tell you everything about the dishes and the manufacturer and give you an appraised value that you can print and keep with your set. All that for only 9.95 an appraisal. Also www.replacements.com has dishes of all sorts so you can replace pieces that may be broke. Look up your set on there and you may get an idea....

I have 4 Tiffany dinner plates with no chips, no cracking, or crazing. I cannot find this pattern anywhere on the internet and was hoping someone may know the year and approximate value of this set?

Thanks in advance!

I'm really stumped. This English Coronation Ware dinner set belonged to my great grandmother who was born around 1890. On the back is a narrow gold "v". I'm going cross-eyed looking online to find out if this set is worth keeping, selling, or donating.
Any help would be most appreciated!

Load More