Appraising China

Category Miscellaneous
Determining the value of fine china can be accomplished in a number of ways. This guide is about appraising china.

Finding a reputable appraiser is one of the better ways to determine the value of your bone china. This is a guide about finding the value of English bone china.

Value of Bone China - bottom of plate with info

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Does anyone recognize this? Look closely at the image inside the cup. It is the perfect image of a Chinese woman. I found it by accident while cleaning it. I have a whole set of tea cups and saucers, teapot, sugar and creamer, and a cake plate with 6 matching dishes. Absolutely gorgeous! It was passed down to me by my mother. It was one of her wedding gifts about 70 years ago. I always thought it was strange that there is no brand name on the back of the items. They are all blank, until I saw the image of the face. Did I just discover something valuable?

Answers

I don't know the value of your set, however, a bit of searching for "Japanese china with image of geisha in cups" might help. There were several sites that came up when I googled the topic, with different images and designs. Good luck. They are beautiful.

These are called lithophane cups and are very collectible. The value depends upon the condition. This article explains it very well: http://www.arti  ne-cups-614.html

Can anyone help me with these please? I am not sure what to do with them. There are 3 sets of cups and saucers. They are lovely old sets. One set is a pink colour. They all have marks on the bottoms. This is one set.

I have some antique dishes, Flying Turkey, with the "M" mark in a wreath, "T" mark in a wreath or triangle, and "TT" in triangles. What are they worth (ball park)? They were made in the early 19th Century.

By fyfer from Colchester, VT

Answers

Why not take the plates to an appraiser. They would have the best idea of their value. There are many listed in the yellow pages.

I had a wall dish with rooster on. I contacted the company thru the internet. I sent a picture and they gave me a estimate appraisal thru e-mail. Of course if you do not have a name that would be hard to do.

Anonymous

An appraiser will charge you for the appraisal. You can find the answer for free. Kovels! You can go to this link and search and if you don't find at their site online for a free search of what you're looking for go to your local library and borrow as many years of Kovels books as you can. If your particular library does not have them on their shelves ask for an inter-library book loan. http://www.kovels.com/

Take a photo of your china and email it to Replacements, Ltd. They are in Greensboro, NC. They will help you identify your pattern. Good luck!

Anonymous

Oh, I forgot about Replacements LTD! Here's their link and you might find your pattern on a search there!

http://www.repl  =kx&982&

Flying Turkey is also known as Blue Phoenix; you may want to Google "Noritake pottery marks". Though you're dating them early 19th C., Noritake used the M ( yep, an M, not an N) within wreath mark from around 1914 when they started to do a lot of exporting up to 1940. This mark was used on many different Noritake pottery pieces, not just the Blue Phoenix, that pattern mainly surfaced and was popular in the USA in the 1920's.

That said, if the marks you find after Googling date your pieces to the 20's--they're still worth a little bit. Looking around on eBay and other websites is showing it not uncommon for a dinner plate alone to be going for $40 and up.

(I've been selling, mainly pottery, on eBay for about eight years. If you're planning on selling the pieces, be aware that an antique dealer will probably realistically only offer you about 25-30% of what your pieces are worth; and selling them as a complete set on eBay may not be the way to go, either shipping rates for weight for a large lot of dinnerware tends to bring out the buyers who want to let's-make-a-deal on the cost of the items to offset the shipping expense--and you also have to take into consideration the aggravation and possible breakage in transit that can go hand-in-hand with mailing huge boxes of dinnerware.)

If it were me, and I wanted to sell them, I'd break them up into small sets, like four dinner plates, four bread & butter plates; four soup bowls and so on making separate auctions. It's easier to manage shipping them and also easier to sell them, as there are always people looking for just a few replacement pieces as opposed to the full set.

Sorry if I jumped the gun on the selling thing and passed along way too much info, just think you have something really nice there and the eBayer in me kicked in. :)

I bought a set of this at an estate sale and was curious of the value. The set includes sixteen cups, twelve saucers, twelve dinner plates, twelve salad plates, twelve bowls, a round serving platter, a creamer pitcher and a sugar bowl. Thanks!

I'm trying to find out about French Saxon china. It says 22 carat gold on the bottom.

I have a set of Nu Orleans china, made by Summerfield, from the 70's. It is an 8 piece setting with extra pieces, white with silver wheat leaves. Does anyone know about this china? Is it worth anything?

Thank you,
Jodee from MS

Answers

Don't know Summerfield - But you could do a Google search & see what you can find out about the brand. Where is it made? Japan/U.S. - Is it bone china (more valuable) or of lesser quality - should say on label. Also go on EBay to see if you can find anything similar there to price it out.

I had some china from the 60's and I e-mailed replacements.com, unfortunately my dishes were not valuable, but you never know, you can send a picture of the front and back of a plate and they will tell you if they are worth anything. Sometimes if there is a demand for your pattern, they'll offer to buy them. Good luck!

Jodee, go to Ebay and enter your search as "Norleans china, Summerfield pattern." There are several pieces there for sale so you can get an idea of what they're trying to sell it for. You can also google "replacement china" and find websites that you can check for that pattern to see what they are charging for replacement pieces to get an idea.

Go to replacements.com they hundreds of patterns of china and you can look yours up and see if there is value to your set.

I have a set of Johann Haviland china from Bavaria Germany that my grandmother left to me. Is it worth anything?

My grandmother gave me her antique china set before she passed away. I am having a hard time trying to find any like it. It is an entire set with every piece included. It has the dinner plates, cups, saucers, bowels, gravy dish, etc. It comes in zippered cloth cases. The dishes are white with a silver lining. Unfortunately, all it says on the bottom is "Westinghouse." I know she had them for at least 50 years.

As I do research online searching for Westinghouse china dinnerware, all I can find is information that the Hall China company made some dinnerware/china for Westinghouse, but the images I find are nothing like the set I have. I am just trying to find out any additional information about this particular set. I am in no way interested in getting rid of it. It would just be nice to know what the value of it is. If anyone has anymore information on it, that would be so fantastic. As I stated above, it is a very simple, yet pretty set with white dishes with silver lining, says Westinghouse on the back of everything, comes in green cloth zipper cases.

Thanks.

Answers

google china patterns, there is a website out there but i cannot remember it off the top of my head, replacementsinc.com perhaps?

I have several sets of china and I would like to find their value. The first is a set of fine Mikasa china. I also have a set of Meito Norleans, and lastly a set of set of Kings Court china, Serenity pattern.

By S.S.

Answers

Two ways to research the value of your china are to look on eBay to see what various pieces are selling for, and check the replacement costs for different pieces at Replacements.com. Occasionally, complete sets, or almost-complete sets, are available on eBay, but eBay sellers usually have odd pieces, picked up at estate sales, garage sales, etc.

You have all the sets with pertinent information so look on eBay and Google but as the first responder suggested - Replacements.com is the best place to see individual pieces (and sometimes sets) of almost all china.

If you don't have estate agents or antique dealers / stores in your area, S.S., try such online resources as e-bay and Craigslist to see what other people are charging?

I have an 8 piece place setting of Royal Doulton china in the Rhodes pattern. I have the serving pieces, napkin rings, cake plate, and soup bowls, too.

By Gail C. from Northford, CT

Answers

There are many online sites you may check for value. Try this:
http://www.just  -worth-they.html

Note: You may have to pay a fee for answers on most sites.

You could Google your question but try Replacements as they have this china.

Hi again - I hope you Google Royal Doulton Rhodes China because it appears there is some interest in this pattern. eBay has a few listed but to see what people are actually paying - look under eBay's SOLD listings.

Prices people ask do not usually reflect what an item will actually sell for - but it is a good start.

China and dolls are very difficult to sell and a lot of trouble to ship (and insure) so I hope you plan to keep your china - use it - enjoy it.

If you wish to sell - You can list on your local Craigslist and not have to ship. Be aware - lots of "phonies" answer ads on Craigslist.

How do I find the value of colonial dishes? These have been in the family over 60 years.

By Brenda

Answers

I know that I've sen shows like Antique Roadshow and Treasure Hunter. I'm sure they have a website that may be able to help. Hope this tips helps.

Often eBay has the answer. Use the search engine there and see if you can find it. I don't think that you have to have an account to do this.

www.whatsitworthtoyou.com is a very good online appraisal website. Just Upload a picture and tell what you know about the dishes. They will come back and tell you everything about the dishes and the manufacturer and give you an appraised value that you can print and keep with your set. All that for only 9.95 an appraisal. Also www.replacements.com has dishes of all sorts so you can replace pieces that may be broke. Look up your set on there and you may get an idea....

I am trying to find info about an Ardalt china piece manufactured in Japan it is numbered 6646.

I have a incomplete china dish set. How much is it worth? It was made by Royalton China Co. It is translucent porcelain fine china E. G. 3301 YD. I want to sell it, but have no idea what is worth. It was passed down from an aunt.

I have a set of Sheridan, Noritake china with M in the insignia. It was made in Japan. US design, PAT. OW533 (hard to read). Any ideas what it might be worth? It is from the early part of last century.

By Susan B

Answers

Noritake china is ubiquitous in this country and most commonly used in restaurants, homes, airlines, etc. The import of Noritaki to the US from Japan started in 1910 so is not considered "antique" by Chinese researchers.
http://antiques  e_Noritake_China

Google your question and also try eBay and Replacements.

How would I estaimate the value of a set of Rotal Tettau platinum china?

I just found this in our Salvation Army for $1.99. I can't find anything on this specific piece online, although the company makes beautiful china and pottery. Does anyone know anything about this? It is about 3 inches in diameter.

I bought a serving bowl from a local flea market. It is made by Edward M. Knowles China Co. It is 10 inches in diameter. The number on the back is 21- 3 9 patented. Does anyone know the value?

Answers

You can check this out on eBay and Google but i do not think it is very valuable.
Try looking on Replacements also as they have a lot of items listed.

This is a blue on white Ridgway Potteries serving bowl. The bowl has the number 03 stamped into the back with the Ridgeway logo and "Made in England" under it. There is a 1/8" X 1/4" chip on the back.

Ridgeway Potteries Ltd. was founded around 1744 in Staffordshire, England. John Ridgeway was appointed potter to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, earning a high commendation at the 1851 Exhibition.

Ridgeway Potteries was purchased in 1960 by Royal Doutlon and production under the Ridgeway name ceased.

I am interested in any other details and an estimated value.

Answers

I get help with pricing from ebay. Put your information into the search bar. You can "watch" item to see what they sell for. You can also search "completed" items and set "follow this search" to get emails every time your item gets a new listing.
Kovels is also a helpful resource.
http://www.kove  price-guide.html

I have a small saucer that I would like to figure out what it is worth! It has a name on the back of it, but I can't tell what the letters are. I have enclosed a picture of front and back. I don't have any other pieces that match this saucer. I bought it at a thrift store! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

Go to Replacements.com to find out about your china piece - they are right up the road from me - its truly wonderful to go see all of their china pieces that they have; the place is HUGE...they will buy from you OR you can sell to them. Check out their website at Replacements.com and keep us posted on what you find out!

I have a huge set of Noritake china, pattern N 1285. It was a service for 12, but there are chips in 2 of the dinner plates and a small platter. It is also missing several teacups, etc. But, most of it is in excellent condition and there are several nice unique serving dishes as well. It is old, but I cannot find out much about it. Any help?

By Debbie

Answers

You can Google your question but there may be some individual pieces on Replacements and they also buy sets.

I am wondering if you could help me put a value on a piece I saw yesterday?

By Lyn

Answers

You will find information on Google, eBay, Replacements
but you may need a pattern name.

I have a 22-piece espresso and dessert demitasse set, made by Schwarzenhammer Bavaria West Germany. There are 6 cups and saucers, 6 dessert plates, a pedestal dessert plate, coffee pot, sugar and creamer. I don't know the name of the pattern, but it is floral with gold. The plates are pierced around the edge and multi-sided. According to http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/bavaria/schwarzenhammer-01/, the mark 1-23 indicates: Used around 1955, with 'WESTERN GERMANY' as part of the mark. All pieces are in excellent condition. Can you tell me what the approximate value of this set would be? Thank you.

By Laurie W. from LaBelle, FL

Answers

You can search ebay and other websites for answers or take the collection to an auction house for an estimate.

How do I find the value of a RVR German 4 pronged standing floral bowl with holes in bottom like a collander?

By Linda L from Tyler, TX

How do I find the value of M Z Austrian numbered bowl?

By Linda L

I recently came across a set of Haviland fine china, #1 Ranson. While cleaning them I noticed marks on the back of some of them stamped as Thomas-Bavaria Germany. They look pretty much exact with the Thomas being slightly smaller. I could not find this Thomas mark online and was wondering if this could be a replica. Also, I was planning on selling the Haviland and would like to know the value. Thanks.

By Mary F

I have a set of Footo China that is stamped "Made in Japan". It does not say "Occupied Japan". It is a service for 16. Any idea of the value? The pattern is floral (roses) with gold trim.

By Hallie from Langhorne, PA

What is the value of a bone china, rose and sea urchin, vase by Seymour Mann?

By HG

I have a vast collection of antique dishes left to me by my father who recently passed. It includes everything from pieces from China, to occupied Japan, Germany, Italy, etc. I need an appraiser in Colorado, can you help?

By Tammy W

I have a small plate, number 13, Royal Doulton. Does this plate have any value?

By Kerrie Ann

I was gifted numerous pieces of Daulton china and Wedgewood china used on the private jet of the Commander General of the Royal Netherlands Air Force. This china is specially designed for use with airline galley trays.

By Debbie Bell from Wichita Falls, TX