Uses for Bubble Wrap

Category Reusing
Bubble wrap is used to protect the contents of many packages shipped to our homes. Don't throw it away; it can be reused. This is a guide about uses for bubble wrap.

While looking for something to go into the bottom of vases to hold flowers for my daughter's wedding and keep the costs down, I ran across some bubble wrap laying around that was shaped like ice cubes. I cut two piece about 4 inches wide and 6 inches long. I laid each piece in the bottom of the vase and up the sides on either side of the vase. When I added the flowers to the vase, it looked so very much like the vase held ice cubes and was very attractive. I got loads of compliments on the flower arrangements.

Although not a great picture, you can at least get an idea of what I am saying.

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

That is a great idea. A few weeks ago when our church was having a yard sale we had many vases donated and several of like new silk and plastic flowers really nice ones So I wanted to sell both the vases and flowers. I had no bubble wrap but did use colored tissue paper from the Sunday school room to put into the vases used a color that would bring out a color in some of the flowers they all went but one. Charged 1.00 for both vase and flowers, was 9 of them and that one we can use in the dining area when we have our monthly church supper.

I use bubble wrap as the liner in my veggie drawers in the refrigerator. Veggies keep better and when they get soiled just toss and replace. This lets air circulate better too.

Just read a tip in Ready Made magazine about putting up bubble wrap on a window with tape to mask a bathroom window. I am going one step further. Because bubble wrap also has insulating qualities, I am putting it on a window that needs to be insulated for the winter. To make it decorative, I am going to color in some of the bubbles in a pattern with permanent marker to create a "Stained window effect" - (Great for the kids to do?) PLUS I am utilizing recycled bubble wrap from mailings I have received. So cost = $0

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

Excellent idea!

I love long hot baths, but even though I have an older and roomier bathtub the valve around the faucet still drains off the water and lowers the water level. I have found that I can stop up that drain by stopping it with squares of bubble wrap.

Bubble Wrap Squid

I run this as an activity at playgroup: bubble wrap tentacles of a giant squid. Great for kids age 2 - 8 yrs. Just add bubble wrap, acrylic paint, paper and kids.

Save that bubble wrap you get in packages! It's pricey if you have to buy it and it really does come in handy for all sorts of packing things to mail, even packing up little delicate objects.

I use to garden in Coquille, OR. The weather really fluctuates. I grew veggies and herbs in those big black containers. I wrapped the outside of containers in bubble wrap-sealed with a glue gun. It maintained a more even temperature for the plants.

Creative ways to use bubble wrap. Post your ideas!

Spray paint one side in different colors, especially metallics like gold or silver. It makes a great substitute for tissue paper in a gift bag!

Instead of sponge painting my dining room window boxs, I used bubble wrap instead. It took on a different look, being that I overlayed it with 2 colors.

Laura Lange

Chicago, IL.

If your angry instead of hurting yourself squeeze the bubble wrap

You can put it on your car door so when someone next to you opens their door they won't scratch or dent your car.

When I get packages in the mail, companies tend to use lots of bubble wrap for wrapping the item(s). So far, I have a shopping bag of it. I would hate to throw it out.

By Jerry S. from Oscoda, MI

If this is the large bubble stuff, it is great to use as insulation on windows. Wet the window and place the bubble wrap with the bubbles against the window.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Bubble Wrap to Protect Stacked Pots

Put bubble wrap between your pots and pans to protect them from scratching each other.