Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Film Canisters

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Film Canister

Even in the age of digital cameras, some of us still use film or have old canisters lying about. This is a guide about uses for film canisters.

Solutions: Uses for Film Canisters

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Store Touchup Paint in Film Canisters

Save film canisters and use them to store small amounts of leftover paint for touch-ups. Label each one and store in a handy place. Instead of a label, you can also just paint a part of the film canister lid with the paint for quick reference.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Tip: Use Film Canisters for Spices

When camping, place spices in empty film canisters. Once you get the campsite set up, poke holes in the lids for shaker tops if desired. Film canisters are also good for storing fish hooks, etc.

Source: my mother

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Tip: Use Film Canisters For Storing Small Items

Use empty film canisters to store beads, jewelry findings, etc.. You can glue one of the content items on the lid of canister. Works great.

By Georgia M. from Neskowin, OR

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Uses for Film Canisters.

Question: Uses for Film Canisters

Ideas for reusing film canisters.

Best Answers

By Hope Romine10/12/2004

You can use them to make a toothbrush holder. Just cut a hole in the lid, take off the lid and put in the toothbrush and then slide the lid back on.

Best Answers

08/30/2004

Great for holding quarters for the laundromat...also for diet/fat free dressing for eating out at restaurants, or for low fat creamer instead of using the high fat creamer at a restaurant. I'm diabetic and also use the test strip containers to hold daily pills when on vacation.

Best Answers

08/30/2004

I use film cannisters to store my dangling earrings. I don't use the lids--I just set the cannisters in a box on a shelf so I can see down into all of them. I put two or three similar pairs together in each cannister.

Also, a friend uses them to store spices on camping trips. (Mmm, noodles and cheese with tuna is so much better with basil in it!) Of course you need to wash out the containers quite thoroughly before storing food in them.

You could also use them to store ear plugs in the car for loud movies or shows.

And you can fill them from large discount containers of pills you take frequently so you can have a small container for your purse, brief case, or glove compartment.

By Debbie

Best Answers

By Suzanne Spencer08/28/2004

I use this to put in my son's backpack with his lunch money for each day. The coins fit in perfectly and I don't have to worry about my son losing his change in his backpack or on the way to school.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Use Film Canisters For Storing Small Items

If you're still using an ordinary 35 mm point-and-shoot camera, hold onto the film canisters after you drop off a roll. They make excellent containers for beads and other small items.

By Angela from Sault Ste Marie, ON

RE: Use Film Canisters For Storing Small Items

Another thing you can do with film canisters is to make a holder for a roll of postage stamps. Remove the cap and make two 1 inch slits very close to each other in a downward direction. Remove the little strip in between the two cuts. Put the roll of stamps inside, feeding the end of the roll out through the slit area. Put the cap back on. Voila! (03/06/2008)

By Tina

Those things will be treasured antiques someday! I have all my odd stamps, paper clips, thumbtacks, pushpins, and other desk stuff in several of them. I froze garden seeds in them with a slip of paper to ID. Good for you! (03/06/2008)

By kimhis