Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

Ideas for reusing the mesh bags that onions come in. Post your ideas!

Use for Mesh Onion Bags

The mesh bags that onions come in are effective for washing small items in the dishwasher. It will hold all the items in place so that they won't wind up in the bottom of the dishwasher. (08/31/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

I got the 10 lb size from my grocery store. In fall, I fill them with the leaves I'm raking and use them to cover my rose bushes, just use rocks to weigh them down. They're still in great condition after 6 yrs.

You can also use the small ones to hang suet feeders in the trees for birds. Roll some shortening into birdseed, put inside the mesh and hang near your window.

I've also thought that you could wash the mesh well, put a sponge inside, weave string around to cinch closed and you have a homemade 'body polisher' for the shower. (I've seen them for sale in the beauty dept.)

Along those lines you could put soap in the mesh instead of a sponge and make soap on a rope. Now if you rinse out an old liquid detergent container (the huge ones with the spigot that sit on their sides), fill with water, hang the soap/mesh bag on the spigot, you have a wash station for camp or the worksite.

By Lee-Ann

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

My daughter uses those mesh bags to scrub off her bird's perches and ladders. They scrape off the icky stuff and scour the wood without having to use steel wool which might leave bits of metal for the bird. We usually cut them down into pieces if it's a large bag. (08/31/2004)

By rabbithorns

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

The best idea I have heard is to take a mesh bag, add several used soap pieces, close and hang close to your outdoor water spigot. Great to wash yours, or kis, dirty hands before coming in the house. (08/31/2004)

By leno

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

Hi, In Australia you can buy plastic sponge type handheld scrubbers for non-stick fry-pans (skillets) and saucepans but they can be expensive. I found myself in a bind once when I wanted to get some gunk of my pan and had nothing to use. I remembered a friend told me that the onion bags scrunched up make good scrubbers. When they wear out just find another. I usually try to keep one or 2 under the sink just in case. Make sure there are no metal clips or tags that might scratch the non-stick surface. It is guaranteed to get off hard to shift burnt offerings without scratching the surface.

By Ozbev

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

These home made scrubbies are also great for getting Bugs off your windshiled.Keep one in the car in a zipper bag with a little dishwater on it. The bugs come of & any residue can be rinsed off using the rinse button with the wipers or with bottled water. Or even with water left in your cup from fast food lunch. (09/21/2004)

By Linne

Toy Bag For The Car

I wash out the mesh bag that my onions come in and use it to store toys for the car. That way everything is together in the car. Use a bread bag clip or a rubber band to close the mesh bag.

By SK (01/29/2005)

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

In the garden, I use the onion bags to put in the bottom of flower pots. Helps keep the potting soil in and lets the water drain out. When the plants are ready to be removed to the garden you can rinse them off and use them again. I used some in the bottom of this work boot. LOL

They are also good to clean the BBQ grill. Then just toss in the trash. Some jobs are just to yucky to try to reuse it. (01/29/2005)

By Great Granny Vi

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

I use mesh bags as scrubbies when I am washing dishes and pots (01/30/2005)

By Lois

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

If you have indoor cats and have trouble keeping them out of your plants, just put the mesh bags around the base of the plant. They don't like it because it gets caught in their paws and you can water as usual. (02/05/2005)

By Leona

Uses for Mesh Onion Bags

Use them to store flower bulbs in. (03/30/2006)

By Carol

Save the red ones for Christmas

Mesh Produce Bag
Reusing Mesh Produce Bags
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
beautiful lawn
Getting Rid of Onion Grass
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
sewing scrubber
Making a Recycled Mesh Bag Pot Scrubber