Uses for Old Bed Springs

The avid recycler tries to find a use for just about everything, including bed springs. This is a guide about uses for old bed springs.

January 25, 2010 Flag

I really recycle, and that includes taking old furniture apart so I can use the parts. I like getting the springs out of old box mattresses, couches and easy chairs, because I can use them for several years to protect seedlings in the garden, and/or make trellises. They aren't beautiful, but they are sturdy, and last at least 5 years even in rough weather.

Source: Just was taking some stuff apart for the trash and recycle and realized what a good trellis the springs would make.

By Cornelia M. from OR

That would look beautiful with morning glory climbing up all around & through it! :)

April 9, 2009 Flag

If you have a dirt driveway or lane, this tip is for you. Our lane is 1/4 mile long, and it gets worse every year with deep holes. As soon as it gets wet, either from snow and rain, or from the neighbor's irrigation system, it gets soft and we sink into the mud. We were afraid we would have to hire someone to grade it again.

Some friends came out Sunday because we had some banty chickens for some children they know. They took one ride down our lane and offered this suggestion: Tie an old set of bed springs to the back of your pickup. Tie on some cinder blocks to weight it down. Drive up and down the lane until it is smooth. That's it! They once lived in a rental with a whole mile of lane, and their landlady asked them how they kept it so nice! We just happen to have a set of bedsprings.

By Coreenhart from Rupert, ID

Thank you so much for posting this! I was just telling my husband that we needed to find someone to grade our driveway and, now, we can do it ourself! We have some old bedsprings in the barn. Thanks again and God bless.

I drag one behind the ATV. I also use one to scatter the manure in my pasture from 4 horses after a long winter.

Better Living Green Living ReusingJanuary 16, 2013
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Bed Spring
Crafts Using Bed Springs