Using Aspirin for Sweat Stains

An aspirin bottle on it's size with aspirin pills spilling out of it.
Sweat stains on clothing can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about using aspirin for sweat stains.

I've seen several requests recently regarding removing those ugly yellow sweat stains from clothing. I heard this tip this morning and thought it might help someone.

Use one plain, regular-strength, crushed aspirin per half cup of hot water. Dissolve the aspirin in the water. Soak clothes in this for a couple of hours and wash as usual. The stains should be gone.

Source: "The CBS Early Show, this morning's tip segment.

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

Anonymous

This sounds interesting! Did they say why it works or do you happen to know why it works? I have a couple of light colored t-shirts that this happens to because of the medication I take and maybe doing this will help? I don't have aspirin on hand though so am hoping to find out more before spending the money. :-)

Hmm...I don't recall the reasoning being mentioned. Aspirin is simply salicylic acid. After all, acids are designed to break down things, including stains, presumably. You could probably find one of those little sample-sized bottles of plain, regular-strength aspirin for about $1 at most stores. I even used to see them at the gas stations I frequented. Try it, if you will, and let me know how it works for you, okay?

A paste of aspirin will work to get rid of yellow antiperspirant stains (and other protein-based stains). This is in addition to the age-old white vinegar/meat tenderizer remedies.

Source: http://www.instructables.com

By pamphyila from LA, CA

Make a paste of the cheapest aspirin you can find and grind into a powderish consistency. Then mix with water to form a thick paste. Spread paste over stain and rub in. Can use an old toothbrush or battery stain brush to rub paste into stain. Let sit 60-90 minutes and then wash as you would normally, in cold water.

When removed from washer; magic, no stain! No stain even if you have tried other methods and stain is old. If it is a really stubborn stain, repeat procedure. I have never had to do it more than twice to a really nasty stain.

By Nancy from Wilmington, DE

I don't remember where I got this tidbit from but it seems to work. If you put an aspirin in the washing machine with the laundry, it helps with underarm stains. It will not remove old stains but will help keep new ones from showing. Living in Florida and being on the football team, my son sweats a lot and even his BLACK tee shirts would get a white stain that I couldn't remove. (I know it wasn't the shirt because it happened to ALL of his shirts). Just put the aspirin in the machine with the wash, no crushing necessary. So far I see no stains on the new shirts! (And I bought the cheap aspirin!).

By Brenda from Deltona, FL

Answers:

Add Aspirin To Your Laundry To Prevent Underarm Stains

Is it just 1 aspirin? Wonder what it is in it that keeps the stains away?? (09/15/2008)

By TerryRawlinson

I guess I have a hard time accepting that just 1, tiny little aspirin in a whole washing machine tub full of water could make any appreciable amount of difference. Maybe using several of them a small handwash tub as a soak .... (09/23/2008)

By qtpuh2tme

Use cream of tartar and aspirin: This may seem a bizarre combination but it has been known to work wonders. Make a paste with one tablespoon of cream of tartar three crushed full-strength aspirins (they should be white and have no colored coating) and a cup of warm water and scrub in the stained region with an old toothbrush. Leave it that way for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse the affected area in warm water until the paste is completely removed. You can repeat this treatment-and-rinse cycle as many times as necessary but in our experience a maximum of thrice is enough. (04/28/2009)

By ddpmkrupa