Using Magic Jack

Using a computer phone service can present challenges. This guide is about using Magic Jack.

Using Magic Jack
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 20, 2009 Flag

Can you use the Magic Jack phone with satellite internet? I would love to cancel my phone service and dial up and get satellite. I've read the reviews on the site and am willing to try it to save money. Thanks.

Mindy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was told by one of the MJ reps that it will not work with Satellite.

I have Vonage, and actually like it, most of the time anyway. It is through the computer like Magic Jack is too, and with Vonage, a high speed internet.

Anyway, I was told that if the power is off, just plug your phone into your old phone jack, and you can call 911 that way, so atleast we are not stuck w/o power. It sounds like it would work with anyone who has Magic Jack also.

To dh8 they are very nice especially on "phone systems that force you to enter numbers". I do it all the time. I use the computer dialer and use the screen keypad to enter numbers works like a charm. best feature is handset or headset switching. I work on my computer while waiting to speak to someone and set it headset as soon as I hear a voice I pickup the handset and talk saves me plenty of time. the drawbacks are if your computer looses internet signal then no phone but there is voice mail. If your downloading then you will have problems with communications. and the biggest problem is it takes over your computer while starting and it takes a long time and if the program is not loaded on your computer, your not going to get any calls. I overcame most of these problems using Google voice it calls my magic jack and my cell so I always get the call. If my cell dies and magic not on then I get voice mail. as far as satellite I don't know never had it never will.

I still have my old magic jack, but the call quality is somewhat good and bad, but I gave magic jack another try by purchasing their new magic jack plus unit. Guess what, this upgrade is totally awesome, no dropped calls and sound quality is like just my regular phone line, no low sounds quality. I have it connected directly to my wireless router and always on (without my computer being on). Good job Magic Jack!

Read More Answers...

March 12, 2009 Flag

Does the computer have to be on for the phone to work when using Magic Jack?

Polly

And if you lose power you don't have a phone.

Be aware that Magic Jack does not work for everyone. Many have little or no results. There are lots of forums/blogs on the net related exclusively to using Magic Jack where you can read up and do some homework before purchasing.

yes, PC has to be ON! Its VOip -- voice over internet protocol.

I have Magic jack on my Mac and use it everyday. It's on from 7am to 11pm and during the interim I rely on my cell phone placed in the bedroom. Works great and costs only $20 a YEAR!

Yes your computer has to be on. It can be in a sleep state or hibernate but you cant completely turn it off, the phone wont work. I use to have Vonage which basically works the same way as magic jack, you need the internet in order for it to work. Also if your in the process of restarting your computer, which shuts down the MJ, it wont work either and MJ will have to reload but once your on, your golden.

Read More Answers...

November 26, 2012 Flag

I have DSL with AT&T. Can I use Magic Jack Plus?

By Irmi M.

I have DSL and also use MagicJack Plus. Works great!

July 29, 2010 Flag

How do you add a personal greeting to magicJack voice mail?

By Glenda from Mercedes, TX

It's really easy to record your own message with Magic Jack. When you call your number to get your voice mail messages, immediately press zero, which takes you to a menu to record a variety of different things. (You can do this either from your phone handset, or from your computer itself) From there, it gives you the option to record an "away" or "busy" message, a regular voice mail greeting, or just your name, if you wish. Just choose the voice mail greeting. Easy to do and you can change it as often as you want. I love my Magic Jack & have never had problems with it. Hope this helps. :)

Computers TipsDecember 3, 2012
Cupcake decorated as a jack-o-lantern.
Making Jack-O-Lantern Cupcakes
star shaped magic wand
Magic Wand Crafts
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Jack Sparrow Costume
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
Cleaning With Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 7:49:21 PM on 10.0.2.187 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.