Using Magic Jack

Category Tips
Using Magic Jack
Using a computer phone service can present challenges. This guide is about using Magic Jack.

Using a computer phone service may require a different way of adding a personal greeting. This is a guide about recording a voice mail greeting on magic jack.

white telephone

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can you use the Magic Jack phone with satellite internet? I would love to cancel my phone service and dial up and get satellite. I've read the reviews on the site and am willing to try it to save money. Thanks.

Mindy

I have Vonage, and actually like it, most of the time anyway. It is through the computer like Magic Jack is too, and with Vonage, a high speed internet.

Anyway, I was told that if the power is off, just plug your phone into your old phone jack, and you can call 911 that way, so atleast we are not stuck w/o power. It sounds like it would work with anyone who has Magic Jack also.

To dh8 they are very nice especially on "phone systems that force you to enter numbers". I do it all the time. I use the computer dialer and use the screen keypad to enter numbers works like a charm. best feature is handset or headset switching. I work on my computer while waiting to speak to someone and set it headset as soon as I hear a voice I pickup the handset and talk saves me plenty of time. the drawbacks are if your computer looses internet signal then no phone but there is voice mail. If your downloading then you will have problems with communications. and the biggest problem is it takes over your computer while starting and it takes a long time and if the program is not loaded on your computer, your not going to get any calls. I overcame most of these problems using Google voice it calls my magic jack and my cell so I always get the call. If my cell dies and magic not on then I get voice mail. as far as satellite I don't know never had it never will.

I still have my old magic jack, but the call quality is somewhat good and bad, but I gave magic jack another try by purchasing their new magic jack plus unit. Guess what, this upgrade is totally awesome, no dropped calls and sound quality is like just my regular phone line, no low sounds quality. I have it connected directly to my wireless router and always on (without my computer being on). Good job Magic Jack!

Does the computer have to be on for the phone to work when using Magic Jack?

Polly

Anonymous

Be aware that Magic Jack does not work for everyone. Many have little or no results. There are lots of forums/blogs on the net related exclusively to using Magic Jack where you can read up and do some homework before purchasing.

yes, PC has to be ON! Its VOip -- voice over internet protocol.

I have Magic jack on my Mac and use it everyday. It's on from 7am to 11pm and during the interim I rely on my cell phone placed in the bedroom. Works great and costs only $20 a YEAR!

Yes your computer has to be on. It can be in a sleep state or hibernate but you cant completely turn it off, the phone wont work. I use to have Vonage which basically works the same way as magic jack, you need the internet in order for it to work. Also if your in the process of restarting your computer, which shuts down the MJ, it wont work either and MJ will have to reload but once your on, your golden.

I have DSL with AT&T. Can I use Magic Jack Plus?

By Irmi M.

I have DSL and also use MagicJack Plus. Works great!

Has anyone used the Magic Jack to send and receive faxes and if so what brand fax machine? I can receive faxes through my Lexmark, but am unable to send. I want to buy one that can do both.

By Jeff from Tampa