Using Non-Stick Cookware

Many cooks have some type of non-stick cookware in their kitchen. This is a guide about using non-stick cookware.

August 24, 2010 Flag

I want to share something my oncologist told me. He said he hopes I will replace all my "non-stick" cookware with good stainless steel products. He was very definite about this. Since I have come through the surgery and am now cancer free, I will do all he asks. It would be a small price to pay, wouldn't it, to help your body all you can? He has even written a great cookbook for cancer patients.

So, I hope if you are going through cancer or know someone that is, you will spread the word. Start small and add to your cookware as you can. Thanks for reading!

By MS.Scarlett from Oceanside, CA

I have stainless steel pots and pans and I hate them. Everything sticks to them and I can not get them clean without a lot of work. I just don't have the time to spend half the evening cleaning pots. Is there some other kind of pots and pans to use. Spraying with a spray don't help either.

As far as the non-pans go, I have read numerous articles over the years saying that they cause cancer, and I have read numerous articles saying the opposite. I guess it depends on which expert is talking. I don't like stainless steel pans either.

Have you ever tried cast iron frying and cooking pans? Once seasoned they are the very best ever. I don't have anything stick in mine. I have been using them for years and I would never use anything else now.

I have used cookware that is non-stick, and cast iron, and stainless steel for over 30 years & love it all. You just have to know how to use it right.

Non-stick: Research seems to show it's safe as long as the surface isn't scratched and/or flaking off, and you don't cook with it on high heat all the time, you know how some people keep the stove setting on high to cook faster & end up warping the pans? Doing it with non-stick releases some really noxious, toxic chemicals that can harm you & kill your pets pretty quickly! If I'd had cancer, I probably wouldn't take the chance either though.

Cast Iron:wonderful stuff! I have some my Granny used as a young woman! Keep it seasoned properly & nothing sticks to it.

Stainless Steel: Got a set of RevereWare 20+ years ago & absolutely hated it until someone taught me how to use it. You have to heat the pan BEFORE you put the cooking spray or oil in it. If you do it while the pan is cold, the food IS going to stick! Cooking lean meat or tomato based stuff-oil/spray the pan. If you are cooking something milk based, don't keep the burner on high trying to hurry things. The stuff will scorch & stick to the pan. I'm pretty sure though, that if you buy the cheapest, thinnest stainless cookware you can find, your going to have problems with it regardless.

How interesting! What is your doctor's name and the name of the cookbook as well. I have had cancer in the mid 1980s but am always looking for new ideas.

January 29, 2013 Flag

I really love this ceramic frying pan. It has an aluminum core and it works without any butter or anything. I am so happy with it, I had to share it on this site.

April 27, 2006 Flag

Does anyone else have a problem with their T-Fal cookware sticking? It seemed like when I would wash my skillet in the dishwasher that it came out a different color and the food in it would stick. Are you not supposed to put T-Fal cookware in the dishwasher? I paid a lot of money (in my opinion) to get pots and pans that don't stick. Is there something I can do to make the skillet nonstick again? Help!

(btw, I hand wash it in the sink now)

luv2craft from Normalville, Pennsylvania

Well I put oil in the pan and rubbed it around with paper towel and it seemed to help. This morning I made scrambled eggs in it and they didn't stick. I did spray it with non-stick cooking spray first so that might have helped.

I've had this set of pots for about 3 or 4 years so there's probably no warranty on them.

I am guilty of turning up the heat to get food started though (electric stove) that might have been one of the problems along with washing the skillet in the dishwasher.

Thank You everyone that gave me suggestions on how to solve my problem!

If you want to make your pan non-sticking, heat your pan first. This works for any pan, even an old frying pan I got from a garage sale.

Just heat the pan, not on high heat so the burner is red, medium-high, when the pan is hot add your oil or butter or whatever you use.

Add your meat, eggs or whatever you are cooking. Fried eggs will slide right out of the pan.

Give it a try.

I've always been taught to NEVER put ANYTHING non stick in the dishwasher because it ruins the non stick coating.

The coating on the inside of pans coming off. Does anyone know if this is harmful to still keep cooking and using pans?

I finally just gave up on my T-Fal skillet and trashed it. I went to good ol Wally World and replaced it for $5.00! Surprising to me. It's not quite as big as the other one was, like it's the next step down, but since I'm just cooking for me now. It's ok.

January 10, 2010 Flag

How can I renew the non-stick in my pots?

By Shirely from AL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There have been reports that the non-stick Teflon coating is potentially harmful to people's health, especially when the Teflon is cracked or scratched. Several years ago I had this problem. I took a meat turner, scraped the lining out of a fry pan, used it a few months then donated it, good luck.

"How can I renew the non-stick in my pots?" You can't. Once non-stick starts coming off it's time to throw it out.

I highly recommend only using non-stick for items like eggs, pancakes and such and to only use a rubber or silicone spatula. For all the rest of your cooking get stainless steel or cast iron.

BTW, if you season and use cast iron correctly, over time you have the "original" non-stick pots and pans. The key is to use them mostly for fatty foods and not acidic foods until the seasoning has built up well.

Not safe when it comes to cooking and ingesting food once the coating starts coming off but you don't need to throw them away either! Recycle!

I had a really, really large one where the Teflon was coming off and I now use it for a pedicure soap and water soak and a medium large size one I use for water and vinegar solution for cleaning :-) You could also use some of the pots as planters ;-)

Use the pan as a double broiler. Only to put water in. Can be used as a double boiler to make candles in, also.

http://tuberose.com/Teflon.html

You should rid all similar cookware as well as Aluminum [has been linked to Alzheimers]. Quality Stain. Steel cleans as well as the coated items; is lifetime durable and is an addition to your kitchen. The large Dept. stores are always having Sales; as well as searching the Internet for pricing.

March 2, 2011 Flag

Non-stick pans/skillets will keep their finish longer if you lightly coat them with oil. The non-stick finish is porous and will benefit from this conditioning. This really helps especially if you put any of these pans in the dishwasher.

April 29, 2012 Flag

How do you like the "green" pans, the Orgreenic pans? I bought one and it was non-stick for awhile, but now it sticks like everything else. I seasoned it right and did all I was supposed to do. Anyone else not loving it?

By Linda from Eustis, FL

HI I would be very careful who you buy from, my son signed up for a set they were to give him 5 payment to pay for it but ended up charging the whole amount at once.which overdrew his bank account which cost him 185 in bank fees. They also never sent the set to him. It sounds good as far as the videos go though, I found one small fry pan at Walmart so as for me if I can get a set at a store even if it cost more, at least it is better to be safe then sorry

December 2, 2010 Flag

How do I clean up pan bottoms? They are non-stick cookware.

By Dorcas from Newfield, NY

If you are talking about the outside of the pan, you should be able to use SOS soap pads, or schouring powder of any kind.

If it is on the outside of the pot or pan, use oven cleaner. If it is on the inside, a "bounce" or other dryer sheet will loosen stuck on stuff. Just put it in the pan, fill with water and leave overnight.

I use Barkeepers Friend for the bottom of my pans, and they still look like new. It's a powdered cleanser like Comet, etc., but it is not abrasive at all. You can buy it at Walmart and most grocery stores. Works really well.

February 12, 2007 Flag

I have a non-stick fry pan that has rubber on the handle. Is it true that if I cover the handle with foil, I can put it in the oven?

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsJanuary 29, 2013
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Teflon Pan
Cooking With Teflon Cookware
Stainless Steel Pot
Using Stainless Steel Cookware
🎉
🎄