Cleaning Magnalite Cookware

Category Dishes
Magnalite cookware is a line of cast aluminum pots and pans. As with any type of cookware you will want to keep them clean and stain free. This is a page about cleaning Magnalite cookware.

I washed my Magnalite boiler in the dishwasher. It is now discolored. What can I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Is it discolored on the inside or the outside?

If it is on the inside you can try the tips on this site (Thrifty Fun):
www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Magnalite-Cookware-1.html

If it is both in and outside, you can try

Boil water with 1 tablespoon of cream of tarter or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (I prefer lemon--but this just me) per quart--you will need enough to cover the broiler in the sink or a tub. Let it soak for an hour and remove (handle carefully to make sure it is not still hot).

You may need to repeat several times.

Hope you can get it back to normal!

Best Answer

Not everything can go in a dishwasher and survive when it comes out. There are some pots and pans that need to be washed by hand. You have one chance to try and get some of the colors back and I don't think this will really work. You can try mixing some baking soda with some lemon juice, make a thick paste, apply it to the pot, leave it sit for several hours, and try to scrub it and wash it. This might restore the color to the pot.

Best Answer

Magnalite products should never be placed in a dishwasher.

You may be able to get some help from the company site (or what is now making/selling these products) American Culinary.
"As of 2014 American Culinary continued to market products branded Wagner, Wagnerware, Magnalite and Griswold."
This site has a form to complete.

www.wagnerware.com/products.asp

www.wagnerware.com/contact.asp

www.wagnerware.com/about.asp

I believe this was originally Wagner and a branch was opened later in 1932 making Magnalite products. They were not too concerned about their cookware being placed in a dishwasher at that time.
Wagner and Griswold, of course, have been well known and respected brand since the 1800s.

I boiled a large amount of water in my Magnalite pot. When I poured the water out there was a horrible "water level" black stain.

What happened? How do I get the stain off? Is it safe to cook in this pot after removing the stain?

Answers

Best Answer

Barkeeper's Friend is great for cleaning pots.

Best Answer

These pots are mostly aluminum so Bar-Keepers Friend should work. Some people recommend using a teaspoon of bleach with a pot of water but I would not use bleach on aluminum but I do think you can use Cream of Tartar (if you have it).

Try not to leave anything on your pot for more than a few minutes (just while you are cleaning) and then rinse thoroughly as your pot may become pitted if not properly treated.

You may have to clean it several times.

I recently overheard someone say they kept the outside of their aluminum cookware shiny by using the polish made for shining truck toolboxes.

I have an oval Magnalite pot. We used it to drain some water from our sink and there was some kind of chemical that leaked into the pot. It was Drano or something of that nature. Can the pot be cleaned in some way to reuse it, or should I dispose of it?

By Tonia

Answers

Best Answer

I use to have magnalite pots and pans. They are hard, anodized aluminum. If you cook something with tomato stuff in it (acidic) it should change the pan back to normal.

You could also try scrubbing with some vinegar and see what it does, or try soaking with some vinegar and water. I'd keep checking to see how it was going. When ever aluminum gets dark spots, is usually from alkaline stuff coming in contact with the metal.

Drano and the like is very alkaline. If it's strong enough and left on long enough, it could damage the surface, but I'd try the acidic stuff for a bit. They are nice pans. Now, with stainless, acidic stuff makes the surface darken.

This magnalite has been in the family for at least 50 years. I do not put it in the dishwasher. I use hot water, Dawn and a ChoreBoy when needed. It is pitted. When I dry the inside of any piece, a black residue is left on the drying towel. Someone told me recently that this is unsafe. What is this black residue?

Answers

I believe you can clean your cookware with Barkeepers Friend but here is a link that tells how to clean and keep it safe to use.

www.ehow.com/how_4488340_clean-magnalite-cookware...

www.everydaycheapskate.com/.../

You will need cream of tartar and an acid like vinegar or lemon juice to clean the cookware. Please refer to this article:www.everydaycheapskate.com/.../

It's probably aluminum or aluminum-based cookware. I've had really nice non-stick fry pans that were great except for a part of the handle that always leached a dark substance. After much thought, I came to the conclusion that it was made of aluminum and continually oxidized onto anything that touched it. If your cookware is leaching a dark substance and it has sentimental value you could use it for decorative purposes only.

All I am finding regarding the 'black residue' is that this happens when you lean acidic sauces and such in the pans too long. Here is a link to a very informative article on the cookware:

www.ebay.com/.../g.html

I wash my Magnalite cookware in the dishwasher, using dishwasher powder. This leaves some sort of residue on my pots. When I dry them (I never use the heat dry cycle), the residue leaves a black-silverish stain on the dish towel and you can almost feel the residue when you rub your hand on the outside of the pot. I have to scrub them with Chore Boy after taking them from the dishwasher to get the residue off. The water from the washing is dark silver or black. Am I not supposed to wash my Magnalite in the dishwasher?

Carolyn from Shreveport, LA

Answers:

Washing Magnalite Cookware

Magnalite is made of aluminum, which does not do well in the dishwasher, because of the chemicals in the dishwasher soap. You should wash it by hand with Dawn or other regular dish detergent, and if needed, use a scrubber for anything that sticks.

Good luck. (10/16/2007)

By Sheila Hendricks

using magnalite cookware

Yesterday I made a key lime pie using my Wagner Magnalite pot and the acid in the lime juice caused dark "stuff" to come off the pan. I had to throw the pie out as it also tasted odd. I would suggest not cooking anything acidic (citrus, tomatoes) in Magnalite.
(03/02/2009)

By Linda

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 21, 2017
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-02-13 09:13:47 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️