Pitting and Black Residue on Vintage Magnalite Cookware?

This magnalite has been in the family for at least 50 years. I do not put it in the dishwasher. I use hot water, Dawn and a ChoreBoy when needed. It is pitted. When I dry the inside of any piece, a black residue is left on the drying towel. Someone told me recently that this is unsafe. What is this black residue?

I believe you can clean your cookware with Barkeepers Friend but here is a link that tells how to clean and keep it safe to use.

www.ehow.com/how_4488340_clean-magnalite-cookware...

www.everydaycheapskate.com/.../

You will need cream of tartar and an acid like vinegar or lemon juice to clean the cookware. Please refer to this article:www.everydaycheapskate.com/.../

It's probably aluminum or aluminum-based cookware. I've had really nice non-stick fry pans that were great except for a part of the handle that always leached a dark substance.

After much thought, I came to the conclusion that it was made of aluminum and continually oxidized onto anything that touched it. If your cookware is leaching a dark substance and it has sentimental value you could use it for decorative purposes only.

All I am finding regarding the 'black residue' is that this happens when you lean acidic sauces and such in the pans too long. Here is a link to a very informative article on the cookware:

www.ebay.com/.../g.html

Consumer Advice General AdviceJuly 29, 2017
👒
🐛
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Pitting-and-Black-Residue-on-Vintage-Magnalite-Cookware.html