Using Old Christmas Cards

You can collect quite a few of these cards that can be reused in a variety of fun ways. This guide is about using old Christmas cards.

December 6, 2012 Flag

If you have old holiday cards laying around and don't want to throw them away, why not use them to create these cute paper dresses.

Total Time: 15 minutes

• old Christmas cards
  • scissors
  • trims, beads, and lace
  • a cut out shape of a dress
  • glue

1. I took old Christmas cards and cut off the fronts.
  2. Then I used one of the card backs to cut out a basic dress shape.
  3. Next, I cut out dresses from the fronts of different cards.
  4. Finally, I glued lace, trim, beads, and even cut outs from the cards to make the little dresses. I have them hanging like a garland down a wall.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

January 23, 2008 Flag

Take 20 used Christmas card (or any other card) fronts and cut out 4 inch circles. Using a triangle template, fold the edges of the circles up to form flaps. Glue the flaps together, add a hanging ribbon and you have an 8" decorative ball.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours -- longer with young children

Instructions:

Preparation:

1. With regular scissors, cut a 4 inch circle and a 3-7/16 inch equilateral triangle on sturdy cardboard (not corrugated). Using these dimensions will make a ball about 8 inches in diameter. Any other size circle will work - just make the equilateral triangle so that it fits inside the circle with all three points touching the edge of the circle.
  2. Related Content(article continues below)

3. Select 20 Christmas card fronts that are all about the same thickness of card stock and at least one-fourth inch wider than the diameter of the cardboard circle.
  4. Place the cardboard circle on a Christmas card front and cut around it with pinking shears. So that the circles are uniform, try to get as close as possible to the cardboard circle's edge without cutting into the cardboard. I use a binder clip to hold the cardboard circle and Christmas card securely - it's easier on my hand. You could also use other craft scissors that cut other patterns such as small scallops.
  5. Divide the card circles into two groups of ten.
  6. Take each card from the first pile and center the cardboard triangle with one of the points up (pointing away from you); fold the exposed edges upward to form three flaps.
  7. Do the same with the second group of ten, but place the triangle with one of the points down (pointing toward yourself).

Assembly:

1. The ball is made in three parts - a top "cap", a middle band, and a bottom "cap". As you are assembling the ball, make sure all the pictures are in the same direction. Paper clips are handy to hold the flaps together while the glue sets.
  2. To make the top "cap" of the ball, take five cards from the first group that were folded with the triangle point up and glue the side flaps together. Set aside.
  3. To make the bottom "cap" of the ball, take five cards from the second group that were folded with the triangle point down and glue the side flaps together. Set aside.
  4. To make the middle band or ring, take the remaining ten cards and glue the side flaps together, alternating those that were folded with the triangle point up with those that were folded with the triangle point down. Set aside.
  5. Cut a length of ribbon or yarn to use for hanging the ball. Glue one end to a small piece of cardboard. Thread the other end through the hole in the center of the top "cap".
  6. Place the top "cap" on the middle band and glue the flaps together where they meet. Attach the ball's bottom under the middle band and glue those flaps together.
  7. If you used paper clips, remove them carefully to avoid tearing the points around the circles.
  8. In order to find the best part of the picture to cut out a circle, cut out a sample circle using scrap paper. Lay this over the card front before cutting and move it around to see how the circle will look.
  9. Make interesting groupings by varying the length of ribbon or make various size balls. Use Christmas cards that have the same theme - all Santas, all wreaths, all one color, etc. Make a ball from other greeting cards - Easter, birthday, flowers.

By Linn VW from York, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 11 Comments

January 29, 2016 Flag

I came across a Christmas card that I received earlier this year. I had a notebook that I do my homework and papers on, for my online college. I decided to use my Christmas card to make my notebook more efficient. Now when I open my notebook it is right where I want it to be, on the first new blank page.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 6, 2006 Flag

Reusing Old Christmas Cards (Holiday Craft Idea). When my sister and I were kids, we didn't have a lot of money in our family. We didn't know it and still had a ton of fun!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 3, 2007 Flag

I would like to see pictures of things done (for Christmas) out of old Christmas Cards!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2008 Flag

Here's a great way to use old Christmas cards or those Christmas card samples you get in the mail, or even those Christmas cards you get on clearance after Christmas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 25, 2009 Flag

I love to save greeting cards people have sent me over the years. One day, while going through my box of cards, I thought how pretty they were and it was a shame they were packed away in a box.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 29, 2008 Flag

They can be used for so many things next Christmas: decoupage, wreaths, ornaments, decorations, collage, etc., etc., etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 26, 2013 Flag

I received many Christmas cards this year that displayed family photos. Rather than put them in the recycle bin, I am cutting the pictures to fit ceramic tiles and mod-podging the pictures to the tiles.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 18, 2008 Flag

Recycle Christmas cards! Not only will she be able to use these otherwise useless cards, she will also save money on the postage because here in the states a post card still costs less to mail than a letter!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 25, 2009 Flag

I always save the Christmas cards we receive and like to send them to someone who can use them for recycling or making other crafts. Does anyone have such a name and address of where to send them? Thank you.

Annette

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our church would be happy to receive them-we make cards for a prayer ministry and nursing homes

St John United Methodist Church

12700 West US Highway 42

Prospect, KY 40059

attn: Caring Card Ministry

thanks

You can check a local daycare to see if they would like them for crafts. I work in a daycare and we use them for crafts and when the child's parent has a birthday we let them chose the the card they would like to give to their parent and that becomes the front of their card and they make the rest!

February 7, 2013 Flag

What are suggestions for ways to reuse past Christmas cards?

By Ann R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could see if you local school or Sunday school or club like Brownies wants them for craft projects.

I've cut off the pretty scene from cards, of all sorts. Then use a hole punch to put a hole thru it, along with a string & use it for a gift tag.

December 15, 2004 Flag

When I was a kid, my aunt made boxes out of old Christmas cards. She would punch holes along the sides and then crochet them together. The boxes even had a flap for a lid. I am looking for directions/pattern on how to make these.

Nancy from Pittsburgh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi Mom,

I think I found something that will help. http://robynefm  box-for-zoe.html

I'll bet the ones you might be thinking about are the hexagon shaped ones. The sides kind of bulged out. I have been looking for that pattern for years. I used to make them with my grandmother, she actually crocheted them together, using a crochet hook. I saw some for sale at a craft fair, but they would not give me a copy of the pattern. I will keep hunting surely someone has a pattern they are willing to share.

November 17, 2009 Flag

How can I turn an old used Christmas card into a newer Christmas card, that is also cheap, creative, fun, and that several people can enjoy?

By Nikki from Bedford, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are don't mind a little extra postage you could glue matching felt to the back of the front of the card leaving a 1/4" border all around, write on the back with a gold or silver ink pen. Or glue the fronts to a piece of card stock folded to fit an envelope for a whole new card. Or simply glue cardstock to the back like a postcard if there is writing on it.

One thing you could do is use the card that the person sent you, and send her back the same card with a little note saying to send it back to you next year. Always send the same card, but with a message and the year attached to it. Should be fun to see how long it will travel in time.

September 12, 2008 Flag

Does anyone have instructions to make a Tree Skirt using old Christmas Cards? I had this pattern years ago and have lost it. Any replies are appreciated. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think I know what you're talking about.

I seem to remember that the card pieces were first edged in a blanket stitch. You'd have to use a fairly strong needle and a decent/sturdy ply of yarn.

Then, the pieces were attached to each other, probably through crochet or sewn together with yarn.

Hope this helps.

I found the following idea by putting "Tree Skirt using old Christmas cards" into my search engine.

Wondering what to do with those old cards from previous years? Use them to cover that tree stand. Cut a cone of oak tag paper to fit around the stand, leaving the hole for the tree trunk on top (and for watering if you have a real tree). Glue or tape the old cards to the stand. You can either put them side by side so they can still be opened and viewed, make a collage out of their covers, or overlay them haphazardly to look like you've thrown a stack of cards at the bottom of the tree.

If I wanted to make it more permanent I would use the tag paper pattern and cut out some fabric (felt would be nice) and sew the cards to it. Then put a piece of velcro at the top and probably another on down to keep it in place and you would have it for future years.

December 1, 2008 Flag

I need instructions to make a gift box out of old Christmas cards.

Nancy from Pryor, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Nancy! Here's a site that tells how to make small boxes using Christmas cards: http://www.allf  g-card-box.shtml By the way, I was born in Stillwater OK :):)

I just saw the coolest picture that was made out of cards. Using only the front of the cards, make a patchwork design. You can cut out different shapes or one area of the card. I saw this in a magazine in the doctor's office. They wanted $500 for the finished piece. From what I saw, they made some that were 8 x 10, and larger. I think it would make a nice gift. I am thinking about do it with all my mother's day cards too.

Hope this helps

Laura

December 4, 2011 Flag

I want to recycle last years Christmas cards to send out this year as Christmas postcards. Just one question: the fronts of all my cards have an embossed image of a tree, a package, a star, etc. When I turn the card over to draw the center line between the message side and the address side the card is not smooth. Can I still use them or will the embossed image cause a problem with the postal service.

By GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't see how the embossing could be a problem. From what I understand from a cousin who worked at the post office for several years the mail is fed into a machine that reads and sorts and if the machine can't read the address then it's spit out and hand sorted. I've turned Christmas cards (and other cards) into postcards for a few years and never had a problem.

January 18, 2014 Flag

I am searching for the name and instructions of a craftwork which is comprised of acrylic sheeting either side of recycled cards or paper formed into several templates. These are then hole punched evenly along the sides of the templates and then crocheted together to form decorative containers.

By Robina M-S

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 3, 2007 Flag

Crafts that you can make with old Christmas cards. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Craft Projects You Can Make Out Of Your Christmas Cards

Looking at this years crop of Christmas cards.I can see making new scenes from them by cutting out the pictures you need and gluing them to Posterboard.

You could also make window decorations .
Maybe even into jewelry for children.
Some others to decorate scrapbooks.
Even used to make homemade storybooks with your own stories. (12/29/2004)

By

My mother made an ornament for me when I was a baby and I treasure it more than all the others.

To make you: remove the front of the card(cut out picture nicely), glue a photo to the back(of the picture), with a name/date/note...etc. Add decorations (fabric paint, glue/glitter...etc)

I made one for my newborn this year and I am sure he will treasure it too.
Enjoy (03/09/2005)

By starchild

By Abigail Beal

It is always a fun part of the holiday season giving and receiving Christmas cards. But what can you do with them after the holidays? It is often a shame simply to throw them out - they have beautiful holiday scenes and many of them now have sentimental value. Here are some craft projects to give a new life to your Christmas cards.

Make a Christmas Card Wreath

For this project you will need an embroidery hoop, a glue gun with glue sticks and at least a dozen Christmas cards. Cut the backs off the Christmas cards and lay out the cards on the embroidery hoop in a fan pattern, circling all around the hoop. Once you have found a design that you like, glue them to the embroidery hoop. Glue gun a small piece of ribbon on the back of the hoop as a hook to hang the wreath.

Kids Placemats

These are fun for the kids to make, and they can use them for next Christmas morning! You will need inexpensive plastic or vinyl placemats, colored paper and Christmas cards, scissors, glue and clear contact paper. Help your children (depending on age level) to create a design they like with the Christmas cards, perhaps to write their name making construction paper letters, or draw a picture. Once they have a design they like, glue the design to the mat, using sparing amounts of glue. The glue will help you hold the design in place for the next step, it is not the only step you will use. Take clear contact paper and place it over the placemat and cut it slightly larger than the placemat. Fold down the corners over the edges of the placemat. Placemat will clean with a damp sponge and a little dishwashing detergent.

Coasters

You will need some plain wooden coasters, decoupage glue for outdoor projects and foam brushes. Cut your Christmas cards to show the designs and patterns you like the best, measuring so they fit on the coasters. Glue them down using the decoupage glue, with the foam brushes. The outdoor decoupage glue is stronger and will help protect it from liquid.

Ornaments

This is an easy ornament the kids can make with little supervision. You will need white glue, scissors, hole punch and ribbon. Match Christmas cards up so you have pairs of cards that you like. Decide on a shape to cut them in - stars, hearts or even just leaving them as rectangles. Glue the cards together and allow the glue to set. Once the glue has set, cut the desired shape. Punch a hole at the top of the ornament and put a ribbon through to hang it on the tree.

Magnets

This is a fun project the kids can make. You will need scissors and a sheet of magnets. Decide on the shape to cut the Christmas cards. Then press down on the sheet of magnets and then cut the Christmas card. The sheet of magnet has a stick on side that will hold the Christmas card to it, and the other side is a magnet.

Serving Tray

For this project you will need a wooden tray, at least six Christmas cards, craft paint, paintbrush, decoupage glue and scissors. Paint the trim of the wooden tray your desired color and allow it to dry. Then decide the layout of the Christmas cards. Glue the cards down and apply several coats of decoupage glue on top to seal it. Allow this to dry for at least twenty four hours before use. Makes a nice hostess gift.

About The Author: Abigail Beal © 2004 Abigail Beal a.k.a. "the Gift-wrap Goddess" is the author of GiftWrapGoddessWraps. Don't miss our holiday issues - November & December 1st! To subscribe:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GiftWrapGoddessWraps/ Contact: giftwrapgoddess@yahoo.com (06/27/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Use Old Christmas Cards as a Book Cover

Make a little book using the front of the Christmas card. Glue them back to back (or on colored construction paper -- which can even be folded in half to save paper), punch some holes down the side, put some yarn through the holes, and make a book. The kids will enjoy having something (different) to look at, and maybe some of the older kids can even go over the items that they see in the pictures for the younger kids. This can be done with all holiday cards.

By Meari (06/27/2005)

You can fold the cover of a card into the lid of a box, and the bottom becomes the base. This works great with designs that are centered in the card. Cut the card in two pieces along the fold. The front will always be a tiny bit bigger on manufactured cards. You will fold the top and the bottom the same.

Fold the sides in to meet in the middle, unfold, fold the top and bottom in to meet in the middle, unfold again. Cut the folds from the top and bottom to make two outside tabs, and then turn them in, holding the sides up. The center flap that is left on the top and bottom folds over the tabs and can be taped or use double stick tape to hide the tape.

I make small ornaments and earrings, and often use these as gift boxes -I especially like giving back a gift in the "card box" that someone sent me the year before. (06/29/2005)

By QueenBeeCrafts

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 30, 2009 Flag

Approximate Time: 20 minutes or less

• used Christmas cards
  • glue
  • scissors
  • large can, such as a coffee can
  • laminate sheets or trip to office store

Instructions:

Select desired Christmas cards and place coffee can around area of picture and trace around can, cut out circle picture. Place the circles of cut out cards flat on table and overlap them as if they are linked together like a chain, or in pattern desired, and glue to hold in place. I usually overlap/link 4 or 5 across and 4 down, depending on the size desired.

After glue has dried, you can flip it over and glue them to the other side to match or you can leave as is if you don't have enough used cards but then your flip side will not be decorative.

Laminate them with laminate sheets or take them to an office supply store and have them run though laminate machine. This way placemats can be wiped clean and reused again and again.

They make very festive placemats, you can also make coasters to match. With the remaining scraps/cards left from cutting circles, I cut those into small pieces and use as decorative gift box name tags - nothing is wasted!

By Tracey from Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Editor's Note: I'm sorry but Tracey doesn't have a photo of this project. Feel free to post your own creations in the feedback.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 11, 2012
Framed Business Card
Other Uses for Business Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
A woman filling out Christmas cards.
Saving Money on Christmas Cards
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 2:40:34 AM on 10.0.0.223 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.