Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Old Christmas Cards

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Using Old Christmas Cards

You can collect quite a few of these cards that can be reused in a variety of fun ways. This guide is about using old Christmas cards.

Solutions: Using Old Christmas Cards

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Christmas Card Paper Dresses

card dresses

If you have old holiday cards laying around and don't want to throw them away, why not use them to create these cute paper dresses.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

• old Christmas cards
  • scissors
  • trims, beads, and lace
  • a cut out shape of a dress
  • glue

1. I took old Christmas cards and cut off the fronts.
  2. Then I used one of the card backs to cut out a basic dress shape.
  3. Next, I cut out dresses from the fronts of different cards.
  4. Finally, I glued lace, trim, beads, and even cut outs from the cards to make the little dresses. I have them hanging like a garland down a wall.

By

Hanging Ball Made With Old Cards

Using Old Christmas CardsTake 20 used Christmas card (or any other card) fronts and cut out 4 inch circles. Using a triangle template, fold the edges of the circles up to form flaps. Glue the flaps together, add a hanging ribbon and you have an 8" decorative ball.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours -- longer with young children

• 20 used Christmas card fronts
  • cardboard
  • regular scissors
  • pinking shears
  • glue
  • paper clips (optional)
  • large binder clip (optional)
  • ribbon or yarn
Greeting Card Ball Supplies

Instructions:

Preparation:

1. With regular scissors, cut a 4 inch circle and a 3-7/16 inch equilateral triangle on sturdy cardboard (not corrugated). Using these dimensions will make a ball about 8 inches in diameter. Any other size circle will work - just make the equilateral triangle so that it fits inside the circle with all three points touching the edge of the circle.
  2. Select 20 Christmas card fronts that are all about the same thickness of card stock and at least one-fourth inch wider than the diameter of the cardboard circle.
  3. Place the cardboard circle on a Christmas card front and cut around it with pinking shears. So that the circles are uniform, try to get as close as possible to the cardboard circle's edge without cutting into the cardboard. I use a binder clip to hold the cardboard circle and Christmas card securely - it's easier on my hand. You could also use other craft scissors that cut other patterns such as small scallops.
  4. Greeting Card Ball Prep

5. Divide the card circles into two groups of ten.
  6. Take each card from the first pile and center the cardboard triangle with one of the points up (pointing away from you); fold the exposed edges upward to form three flaps.
  7. Do the same with the second group of ten, but place the triangle with one of the points down (pointing toward yourself).

Assembly:

1. The ball is made in three parts - a top "cap", a middle band, and a bottom "cap". As you are assembling the ball, make sure all the pictures are in the same direction. Paper clips are handy to hold the flaps together while the glue sets.
  2. To make the top "cap" of the ball, take five cards from the first group that were folded with the triangle point up and glue the side flaps together. Set aside.
  3. To make the bottom "cap" of the ball, take five cards from the second group that were folded with the triangle point down and glue the side flaps together. Set aside.
  4. Greeting Card Ball Assembly

5. To make the middle band or ring, take the remaining ten cards and glue the side flaps together, alternating those that were folded with the triangle point up with those that were folded with the triangle point down. Set aside.
  6. Cut a length of ribbon or yarn to use for hanging the ball. Glue one end to a small piece of cardboard. Thread the other end through the hole in the center of the top "cap".
  7. Place the top "cap" on the middle band and glue the flaps together where they meet. Attach the ball's bottom under the middle band and glue those flaps together.
  8. If you used paper clips, remove them carefully to avoid tearing the points around the circles.
  9. In order to find the best part of the picture to cut out a circle, cut out a sample circle using scrap paper. Lay this over the card front before cutting and move it around to see how the circle will look.
  10. Make interesting groupings by varying the length of ribbon or make various size balls. Use Christmas cards that have the same theme - all Santas, all wreaths, all one color, etc. Make a ball from other greeting cards - Easter, birthday, flowers.

By Linn VW from York, PA

Tip: Coasters From Christmas Cards

I received many Christmas cards this year that displayed family photos. Rather than put them in the recycle bin, I am cutting the pictures to fit ceramic tiles and mod-podging the pictures to the tiles. This is creating a set of coasters that will be a reminder of a Merry Christmas for years to come. I plan to give these homemade coasters to the families in January, after all the Christmas excitement dies down

By

Tip: Frame Greeting Cards as a Holiday Decoration

I love to save greeting cards people have sent me over the years. One day, while going through my box of cards, I thought how pretty they were and it was a shame they were packed away in a box.

I went to a local craft store and purchased an inexpensive frame. Now, when each holiday rolls around, I take one of my greeting cards and slide it into the frame. I can display it on a shelf or end table or wherever I need a little holiday cheer. It's inexpensive and helps recycle those greeting cards!

By Kennedy C. from Virginia Beach, VA

Tip: Salvage Damaged Christmas Cards

Recycle Christmas cards!

My daughter was pulling out her Christmas decorations yesterday and found a partial box of unused Christmas cards she had sent out a couple years ago. The picture on the front is so adorable and she said "I wish I could remember where I got these so I could buy another box for this year." There were about 15 cards left in her pack, but they were stuck together from the dampness of storage.

I suggested she slide a sharp knife between the pages to separate them, then cut the badly damaged back page off. I told her to use the cute picture side of the card as a postcard by writing a quick note on one half of the back side of the picture and the address on the other half!

Not only will she be able to use these otherwise useless cards, she will also save money on the postage because here in the states a post card still costs less to mail than a letter!

God Bless.

By GrammySheila from Decatur, IL

Tip: Don't Throw Away Your Christmas Cards!

They can be used for so many things next Christmas: decoupage, wreaths, ornaments, decorations, collage, etc., etc., etc. Put them in a ziploc baggie and store them with your other Christmas things.

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

Recycle Christmas Cards Fronts Onto New Cards

Here's a great way to use old Christmas cards or those Christmas card samples you get in the mail, or even those Christmas cards you get on clearance after Christmas. If you are like me, then you get those sample card fronts with the beautiful pictures asking you to buy the design. They can be expensive and I hate to throw those beautiful cards away.

• old Christmas cards
  • cardstock, or blank greeting cards
  • glue
  • decorative scissors
  • ribbon or other embellishments

Instructions:

Take your Christmas card and cut off the greeting part of the card so that you are left with the picture part of the card. Cut along the edges of this part with decorative scissors.

Next, take your blank cardstock and fold in half to make a card (if you are using a blank greeting card, just find the front of the card). Take your decoratively cut Christmas card front and glue to the front of your blank card. You have a great recycled Christmas card!

If you are using Christmas cards you bought on a clearance sale, there is no need to do all the cutting and what have you, just simply take a blank sheet of colored paper, or cardstock and cut to fit the inside of your card, and you have a new greeting card to use any time of they year.

I try to find cards that do not have a holiday motif with the picture on the front (which is sometimes hard to do). I found some recently with gnomes on them and had no Christmas motif to them at all. I give them for birthdays, or other special occasions.

Tip: Craft Projects You Can Make Out Of Your Christmas Cards

I would like to see pictures of things done (for Christmas) out of old Christmas Cards!

Decorations, boxes, tags, bowls, Angels & so on...

melody_yesterday from Sedalia, Missouri

Tip: Reusing Old Christmas Cards (Holiday Craft Idea)

When my sister and I were kids, we didn't have a lot of money in our family. We didn't know it and still had a ton of fun! My Mom would save all the old Christmas cards from years before, she had boxfulls! She then would have us cut out the picture on the front for either a gift tag or to glue inside a paper/plastic coffee cup lid or those O.J. can lids, (these lids aren't sharp and are safe for kids) With this, we would add glitter and things to make it look pretty. The inside of the card wasn't wasted. We would cut out the verse and use it as a gift tag or glue to the bottom edge of the lid. Then you add a string or ribbon to the top and hang on the tree. I'll never forget how much fun that was. My Mother is now 80 and ill, so having those happy memories are very important.

By Gayle from Queen Creek, AZ

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Using Old Christmas Cards.

Question: Recycling Christmas Cards

I always save the Christmas cards we receive and like to send them to someone who can use them for recycling or making other crafts. Does anyone have such a name and address of where to send them? Thank you.

Annette

Most Recent Answer

By tricia minter [11]12/07/2009

If you have any left, I would be happy to receive some. You can email me at:
Triciaminter AT yahoo.com.
I love to craft with them.

Question: Making Crocheted Greeting Card or Paper Containers

I am searching for the name and instructions of a craftwork which is comprised of acrylic sheeting either side of recycled cards or paper formed into several templates. These are then hole punched evenly along the sides of the templates and then crocheted together to form decorative containers.

By Robina M-S

Question: Ideas for Reusing Old Christmas Cards

What are suggestions for ways to reuse past Christmas cards?

By Ann R.

Most Recent Answer

By jean03/03/2013

I have member of our church save their Christmas cards for me. I cut them apart making new cards using card stock and invitation size envelopes from an office supply store. I sometimes use the wording inside; either cutting it out and re-gluing or handwriting it. Also, many times there is a miniature size picture on the back cover that I use to make tags.

Question: Recycling Christmas Cards as Christmas Postcards

I want to recycle last years Christmas cards to send out this year as Christmas postcards. Just one question: the fronts of all my cards have an embossed image of a tree, a package, a star, etc. When I turn the card over to draw the center line between the message side and the address side the card is not smooth. Can I still use them or will the embossed image cause a problem with the postal service.

By GA

Most Recent Answer

12/06/2011

I don't see how the embossing could be a problem. From what I understand from a cousin who worked at the post office for several years the mail is fed into a machine that reads and sorts and if the machine can't read the address then it's spit out and hand sorted. I've turned Christmas cards (and other cards) into postcards for a few years and never had a problem.

Question: Recycling an Old Christmas Card into a New One

How can I turn an old used Christmas card into a newer Christmas card, that is also cheap, creative, fun, and that several people can enjoy?

By Nikki from Bedford, PA

Most Recent Answer

12/11/2012

You can use matching coloured paper folded to fit inside the card. Glue the paper to the back of the card where the person writes their greeting. I have actually bought cards that are made this way.

Question: Making a Gift Box Using Old Christmas Cards

I need instructions to make a gift box out of old Christmas cards.

Nancy from Pryor, OK

Most Recent Answer

By Laura [4]12/04/2008

I just saw the coolest picture that was made out of cards. Using only the front of the cards, make a patchwork design. You can cut out different shapes or one area of the card. I saw this in a magazine in the doctor's office. They wanted $500 for the finished piece. From what I saw, they made some that were 8 x 10, and larger. I think it would make a nice gift. I am thinking about do it with all my mother's day cards too.
Hope this helps
Laura

Question: Tree Skirt Made With Old Christmas Cards

Does anyone have instructions to make a Tree Skirt using old Christmas Cards? I had this pattern years ago and have lost it. Any replies are appreciated. Thank you.

Most Recent Answer

By Quilleen (Guest Post)09/16/2008

I think I would use a small paper punch to make the the holes for the blanket stitch first; easier on the fingers.

Question: Box Made from Christmas Cards and Yarn

When I was a kid, my aunt made boxes out of old christmas cards. She would punch holes along the sides and then crochet them together. The boxes even had a flap for a lid. I am looking for directions/pattern on how to make these.

Nancy from Pittsburgh

Most Recent Answer

By MamaofMany08/08/2011

Hi Mom,
I think I found something that will help. http://robynefmelia.blogspot.com/2010/05/hanky-box-for-zoe.html

RE: Box Made from Christmas Cards and Yarn

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Craft Projects You Can Make Out Of Your Christmas Cards

Crafts that you can make with old Christmas cards. Post your ideas.

RE: Craft Projects You Can Make Out Of Your Christmas Cards

Looking at this years crop of Christmas cards.I can see making new scenes from them by cutting out the pictures you need and gluing them to Posterboard.

You could also make window decorations . Maybe even into jewelry for children. Some others to decorate scrapbooks. Even used to make homemade storybooks with your own stories. (12/29/2004)

By

My mother made an ornament for me when I was a baby and I treasure it more than all the others. To make you: remove the front of the card(cut out picture nicely), glue a photo to the back(of the picture), with a name/date/note...etc. Add decorations (fabric paint, glue/glitter...etc)

I made one for my newborn this year and I am sure he will treasure it too. Enjoy (03/09/2005)

By starchild

Craft Projects You Can Make Out Of Your Christmas Cards

By Abigail Beal It is always a fun part of the holiday season giving and receiving Christmas cards. But what can you do with them after the holidays? It is often a shame simply to throw them out - they have beautiful holiday scenes and many of them now have sentimental value. Here are some craft projects to give a new life to your Christmas cards.

Make a Christmas Card Wreath

For this project you will need an embroidery hoop, a glue gun with glue sticks and at least a dozen Christmas cards. Cut the backs off the Christmas cards and lay out the cards on the embroidery hoop in a fan pattern, circling all around the hoop. Once you have found a design that you like, glue them to the embroidery hoop. Glue gun a small piece of ribbon on the back of the hoop as a hook to hang the wreath.

Kids Placemats

These are fun for the kids to make, and they can use them for next Christmas morning! You will need inexpensive plastic or vinyl placemats, colored paper and Christmas cards, scissors, glue and clear contact paper. Help your children (depending on age level) to create a design they like with the Christmas cards, perhaps to write their name making construction paper letters, or draw a picture. Once they have a design they like, glue the design to the mat, using sparing amounts of glue. The glue will help you hold the design in place for the next step, it is not the only step you will use. Take clear contact paper and place it over the placemat and cut it slightly larger than the placemat. Fold down the corners over the edges of the placemat. Placemat will clean with a damp sponge and a little dishwashing detergent.

Coasters

You will need some plain wooden coasters, decoupage glue for outdoor projects and foam brushes. Cut your Christmas cards to show the designs and patterns you like the best, measuring so they fit on the coasters. Glue them down using the decoupage glue, with the foam brushes. The outdoor decoupage glue is stronger and will help protect it from liquid.

Ornaments

This is an easy ornament the kids can make with little supervision. You will need white glue, scissors, hole punch and ribbon. Match Christmas cards up so you have pairs of cards that you like. Decide on a shape to cut them in - stars, hearts or even just leaving them as rectangles. Glue the cards together and allow the glue to set. Once the glue has set, cut the desired shape. Punch a hole at the top of the ornament and put a ribbon through to hang it on the tree.

Magnets

This is a fun project the kids can make. You will need scissors and a sheet of magnets. Decide on the shape to cut the Christmas cards. Then press down on the sheet of magnets and then cut the Christmas card. The sheet of magnet has a stick on side that will hold the Christmas card to it, and the other side is a magnet.

Serving Tray

For this project you will need a wooden tray, at least six Christmas cards, craft paint, paintbrush, decoupage glue and scissors. Paint the trim of the wooden tray your desired color and allow it to dry. Then decide the layout of the Christmas cards. Glue the cards down and apply several coats of decoupage glue on top to seal it. Allow this to dry for at least twenty four hours before use. Makes a nice hostess gift.

About The Author: Abigail Beal © 2004 Abigail Beal a.k.a. "the Gift-wrap Goddess" is the author of GiftWrapGoddessWraps. Don't miss our holiday issues - November & December 1st! To subscribe:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GiftWrapGoddessWraps/ Contact: giftwrapgoddess@yahoo.com (06/27/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Use Old Christmas Cards as a Book Cover

Make a little book using the front of the Christmas card. Glue them back to back (or on colored construction paper -- which can even be folded in half to save paper), punch some holes down the side, put some yarn through the holes, and make a book. The kids will enjoy having something (different) to look at, and maybe some of the older kids can even go over the items that they see in the pictures for the younger kids. This can be done with all holiday cards.

By Meari (06/27/2005)

You can fold the cover of a card into the lid of a box, and the bottom becomes the base. This works great with designs that are centered in the card. Cut the card in two pieces along the fold. The front will always be a tiny bit bigger on manufactured cards. You will fold the top and the bottom the same.

Fold the sides in to meet in the middle, unfold, fold the top and bottom in to meet in the middle, unfold again. Cut the folds from the top and bottom to make two outside tabs, and then turn them in, holding the sides up. The center flap that is left on the top and bottom folds over the tabs and can be taped or use double stick tape to hide the tape.

I make small ornaments and earrings, and often use these as gift boxes -I especially like giving back a gift in the "card box" that someone sent me the year before. (06/29/2005)

By QueenBeeCrafts