Browsing: Using Old Christmas Cards

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Old Christmas Cards

You can collect quite a few of these cards that can be reused in a variety of fun ways. This guide is about using old Christmas cards.

Using Old Christmas Cards
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 6, 2012 Flag

If you have old holiday cards laying around and don't want to throw them away, why not use them to create these cute paper dresses.

card dresses

Total Time: 15 minutes

• old Christmas cards
  • scissors
  • trims, beads, and lace
  • a cut out shape of a dress
  • glue

1. I took old Christmas cards and cut off the fronts.
  2. Then I used one of the card backs to cut out a basic dress shape.
  3. Next, I cut out dresses from the fronts of different cards.
  4. Finally, I glued lace, trim, beads, and even cut outs from the cards to make the little dresses. I have them hanging like a garland down a wall.

January 23, 2008 Flag

Using Old Christmas CardsTake 20 used Christmas card (or any other card) fronts and cut out 4 inch circles. Using a triangle template, fold the edges of the circles up to form flaps. Glue the flaps together, add a hanging ribbon and you have an 8" decorative ball.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours -- longer with young children

Greeting Card Ball Supplies

Instructions:

Preparation:

1. With regular scissors, cut a 4 inch circle and a 3-7/16 inch equilateral triangle on sturdy cardboard (not corrugated). Using these dimensions will make a ball about 8 inches in diameter. Any other size circle will work - just make the equilateral triangle so that it fits inside the circle with all three points touching the edge of the circle.
  2. Select 20 Christmas card fronts that are all about the same thickness of card stock and at least one-fourth inch wider than the diameter of the cardboard circle.
  3. Place the cardboard circle on a Christmas card front and cut around it with pinking shears. So that the circles are uniform, try to get as close as possible to the cardboard circle's edge without cutting into the cardboard. I use a binder clip to hold the cardboard circle and Christmas card securely - it's easier on my hand. You could also use other craft scissors that cut other patterns such as small scallops.
  4. Greeting Card Ball Prep

5. Divide the card circles into two groups of ten.
  6. Take each card from the first pile and center the cardboard triangle with one of the points up (pointing away from you); fold the exposed edges upward to form three flaps.
  7. Do the same with the second group of ten, but place the triangle with one of the points down (pointing toward yourself).

Assembly:

1. The ball is made in three parts - a top "cap", a middle band, and a bottom "cap". As you are assembling the ball, make sure all the pictures are in the same direction. Paper clips are handy to hold the flaps together while the glue sets.
  2. To make the top "cap" of the ball, take five cards from the first group that were folded with the triangle point up and glue the side flaps together. Set aside.
  3. To make the bottom "cap" of the ball, take five cards from the second group that were folded with the triangle point down and glue the side flaps together. Set aside.
  4. Greeting Card Ball Assembly

5. To make the middle band or ring, take the remaining ten cards and glue the side flaps together, alternating those that were folded with the triangle point up with those that were folded with the triangle point down. Set aside.
  6. Cut a length of ribbon or yarn to use for hanging the ball. Glue one end to a small piece of cardboard. Thread the other end through the hole in the center of the top "cap".
  7. Place the top "cap" on the middle band and glue the flaps together where they meet. Attach the ball's bottom under the middle band and glue those flaps together.
  8. If you used paper clips, remove them carefully to avoid tearing the points around the circles.
  9. In order to find the best part of the picture to cut out a circle, cut out a sample circle using scrap paper. Lay this over the card front before cutting and move it around to see how the circle will look.
  10. Make interesting groupings by varying the length of ribbon or make various size balls. Use Christmas cards that have the same theme - all Santas, all wreaths, all one color, etc. Make a ball from other greeting cards - Easter, birthday, flowers.

By Linn VW from York, PA

January 29, 2016 Flag

I came across a Christmas card that I received earlier this year. I had a notebook that I do my homework and papers on, for my online college. I decided to use my Christmas card to make my notebook more efficient. Now when I open my notebook it is right where I want it to be, on the first new blank page.

November 25, 2009 Flag

I always save the Christmas cards we receive and like to send them to someone who can use them for recycling or making other crafts. Does anyone have such a name and address of where to send them? Thank you.

Annette

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can check a local daycare to see if they would like them for crafts. I work in a daycare and we use them for crafts and when the child's parent has a birthday we let them chose the the card they would like to give to their parent and that becomes the front of their card and they make the rest!

If you have any left, I would be happy to receive some. You can email me at:

Triciaminter AT yahoo.com.

I love to craft with them.

Read More Answers...

February 7, 2013 Flag

What are suggestions for ways to reuse past Christmas cards?

By Ann R.

I've cut off the pretty scene from cards, of all sorts. Then use a hole punch to put a hole thru it, along with a string & use it for a gift tag.

I have member of our church save their Christmas cards for me. I cut them apart making new cards using card stock and invitation size envelopes from an office supply store. I sometimes use the wording inside; either cutting it out and re-gluing or handwriting it. Also, many times there is a miniature size picture on the back cover that I use to make tags.

Read More Answers...

November 30, 2009 Flag

Approximate Time: 20 minutes or less

• used Christmas cards
  • glue
  • scissors
  • large can, such as a coffee can
  • laminate sheets or trip to office store

Instructions:

Select desired Christmas cards and place coffee can around area of picture and trace around can, cut out circle picture. Place the circles of cut out cards flat on table and overlap them as if they are linked together like a chain, or in pattern desired, and glue to hold in place. I usually overlap/link 4 or 5 across and 4 down, depending on the size desired.

After glue has dried, you can flip it over and glue them to the other side to match or you can leave as is if you don't have enough used cards but then your flip side will not be decorative.

Laminate them with laminate sheets or take them to an office supply store and have them run though laminate machine. This way placemats can be wiped clean and reused again and again.

They make very festive placemats, you can also make coasters to match. With the remaining scraps/cards left from cutting circles, I cut those into small pieces and use as decorative gift box name tags - nothing is wasted!

By Tracey from Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Editor's Note: I'm sorry but Tracey doesn't have a photo of this project. Feel free to post your own creations in the feedback.

November 17, 2009 Flag

How can I turn an old used Christmas card into a newer Christmas card, that is also cheap, creative, fun, and that several people can enjoy?

By Nikki from Bedford, PA

One thing you could do is use the card that the person sent you, and send her back the same card with a little note saying to send it back to you next year. Always send the same card, but with a message and the year attached to it. Should be fun to see how long it will travel in time.

You can use matching coloured paper folded to fit inside the card. Glue the paper to the back of the card where the person writes their greeting. I have actually bought cards that are made this way.

Read More Answers...

December 6, 2006 Flag

When my sister and I were kids, we didn't have a lot of money in our family. We didn't know it and still had a ton of fun! My Mom would save all the old Christmas cards from years before, she had boxfulls! She then would have us cut out the picture on the front for either a gift tag or to glue inside a paper/plastic coffee cup lid or those O.J. can lids, (these lids aren't sharp and are safe for kids) With this, we would add glitter and things to make it look pretty. The inside of the card wasn't wasted. We would cut out the verse and use it as a gift tag or glue to the bottom edge of the lid. Then you add a string or ribbon to the top and hang on the tree. I'll never forget how much fun that was. My Mother is now 80 and ill, so having those happy memories are very important.

By Gayle from Queen Creek, AZ

December 3, 2007 Flag

I would like to see pictures of things done (for Christmas) out of old Christmas Cards!

Decorations, boxes, tags, bowls, Angels & so on...

melody_yesterday from Sedalia, Missouri

September 12, 2008 Flag

Does anyone have instructions to make a Tree Skirt using old Christmas Cards? I had this pattern years ago and have lost it. Any replies are appreciated. Thank you.

I found the following idea by putting "Tree Skirt using old Christmas cards" into my search engine.

Wondering what to do with those old cards from previous years? Use them to cover that tree stand. Cut a cone of oak tag paper to fit around the stand, leaving the hole for the tree trunk on top (and for watering if you have a real tree). Glue or tape the old cards to the stand. You can either put them side by side so they can still be opened and viewed, make a collage out of their covers, or overlay them haphazardly to look like you've thrown a stack of cards at the bottom of the tree.

If I wanted to make it more permanent I would use the tag paper pattern and cut out some fabric (felt would be nice) and sew the cards to it. Then put a piece of velcro at the top and probably another on down to keep it in place and you would have it for future years.

I think I would use a small paper punch to make the the holes for the blanket stitch first; easier on the fingers.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 11, 2012
Framed Business Card
Other Uses for Business Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
A woman filling out Christmas cards.
Saving Money on Christmas Cards
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:23:19 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.