Using Old Christmas Cards

You can collect quite a few of these cards that can be reused in a variety of fun ways. This guide is about using old Christmas cards.

December 6, 2012 Flag

If you have old holiday cards laying around and don't want to throw them away, why not use them to create these cute paper dresses.

Total Time: 15 minutes

• old Christmas cards
  • scissors
  • trims, beads, and lace
  • a cut out shape of a dress
  • glue

1. I took old Christmas cards and cut off the fronts.
  2. Then I used one of the card backs to cut out a basic dress shape.
  3. Next, I cut out dresses from the fronts of different cards.
  4. Finally, I glued lace, trim, beads, and even cut outs from the cards to make the little dresses. I have them hanging like a garland down a wall.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

These are adorable! How creative you are! Thanks for sharing!

I love these, adorable. I am going to give them a try!

Read More Comments...

January 23, 2008 Flag

Take 20 used Christmas card (or any other card) fronts and cut out 4 inch circles. Using a triangle template, fold the edges of the circles up to form flaps. Glue the flaps together, add a hanging ribbon and you have an 8" decorative ball.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours -- longer with young children

Instructions:

Preparation:

1. With regular scissors, cut a 4 inch circle and a 3-7/16 inch equilateral triangle on sturdy cardboard (not corrugated). Using these dimensions will make a ball about 8 inches in diameter. Any other size circle will work - just make the equilateral triangle so that it fits inside the circle with all three points touching the edge of the circle.
  2. Select 20 Christmas card fronts that are all about the same thickness of card stock and at least one-fourth inch wider than the diameter of the cardboard circle.
  3. Place the cardboard circle on a Christmas card front and cut around it with pinking shears. So that the circles are uniform, try to get as close as possible to the cardboard circle's edge without cutting into the cardboard. I use a binder clip to hold the cardboard circle and Christmas card securely - it's easier on my hand. You could also use other craft scissors that cut other patterns such as small scallops.
  4. Divide the card circles into two groups of ten.
  5. Take each card from the first pile and center the cardboard triangle with one of the points up (pointing away from you); fold the exposed edges upward to form three flaps.
  6. Do the same with the second group of ten, but place the triangle with one of the points down (pointing toward yourself).

Assembly:

1. The ball is made in three parts - a top "cap", a middle band, and a bottom "cap". As you are assembling the ball, make sure all the pictures are in the same direction. Paper clips are handy to hold the flaps together while the glue sets.
  2. To make the top "cap" of the ball, take five cards from the first group that were folded with the triangle point up and glue the side flaps together. Set aside.
  3. To make the bottom "cap" of the ball, take five cards from the second group that were folded with the triangle point down and glue the side flaps together. Set aside.
  4. To make the middle band or ring, take the remaining ten cards and glue the side flaps together, alternating those that were folded with the triangle point up with those that were folded with the triangle point down. Set aside.
  5. Cut a length of ribbon or yarn to use for hanging the ball. Glue one end to a small piece of cardboard. Thread the other end through the hole in the center of the top "cap".
  6. Place the top "cap" on the middle band and glue the flaps together where they meet. Attach the ball's bottom under the middle band and glue those flaps together.
  7. If you used paper clips, remove them carefully to avoid tearing the points around the circles.
  8. In order to find the best part of the picture to cut out a circle, cut out a sample circle using scrap paper. Lay this over the card front before cutting and move it around to see how the circle will look.
  9. Make interesting groupings by varying the length of ribbon or make various size balls. Use Christmas cards that have the same theme - all Santas, all wreaths, all one color, etc. Make a ball from other greeting cards - Easter, birthday, flowers.

By Linn VW from York, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you so much! I love it. I can't wait to make them. I bet valentine cards would be cute too!

I remember making this in 5th grade back in 1964. It was fun then and really fun today when I tried it again. A great project for all ages.

Read More Comments...

January 29, 2016 Flag

I came across a Christmas card that I received earlier this year. I had a notebook that I do my homework and papers on, for my online college. I decided to use my Christmas card to make my notebook more efficient. Now when I open my notebook it is right where I want it to be, on the first new blank page.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 30, 2009 Flag

Approximate Time: 20 minutes or less

• used Christmas cards
  • glue
  • scissors
  • large can, such as a coffee can
  • laminate sheets or trip to office store

Instructions:

Select desired Christmas cards and place coffee can around area of picture and trace around can, cut out circle picture. Place the circles of cut out cards flat on table and overlap them as if they are linked together like a chain, or in pattern desired, and glue to hold in place. I usually overlap/link 4 or 5 across and 4 down, depending on the size desired.

After glue has dried, you can flip it over and glue them to the other side to match or you can leave as is if you don't have enough used cards but then your flip side will not be decorative.

Laminate them with laminate sheets or take them to an office supply store and have them run though laminate machine. This way placemats can be wiped clean and reused again and again.

They make very festive placemats, you can also make coasters to match. With the remaining scraps/cards left from cutting circles, I cut those into small pieces and use as decorative gift box name tags - nothing is wasted!

By Tracey from Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Editor's Note: I'm sorry but Tracey doesn't have a photo of this project. Feel free to post your own creations in the feedback.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great idea! You can also use clear contac paper instead of laminate. I'm going to make some now! Thanks!

I think this is a good idea! I think what I am going to do is on the flip side I am going to put names of who gave me the card!! For example I have the last card my aunt sent me before she died and I will use this card and cut out where she signed it and put it on the back. This will be good for memories of family members!

Read More Comments...

December 6, 2006 Flag

When my sister and I were kids, we didn't have a lot of money in our family. We didn't know it and still had a ton of fun! My Mom would save all the old Christmas cards from years before, she had boxfulls! She then would have us cut out the picture on the front for either a gift tag or to glue inside a paper/plastic coffee cup lid or those O.J. can lids, (these lids aren't sharp and are safe for kids) With this, we would add glitter and things to make it look pretty. The inside of the card wasn't wasted. We would cut out the verse and use it as a gift tag or glue to the bottom edge of the lid. Then you add a string or ribbon to the top and hang on the tree. I'll never forget how much fun that was. My Mother is now 80 and ill, so having those happy memories are very important.

By Gayle from Queen Creek, AZ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gayle, that is what Christmas is all about....family, fun, and making memories! Happy Holidays to you!

Dear Harlean,

Thank you so very, very, much for posting these wonderful little Christmas Card Slippers! I cannot express enough how much I have wanted to locate this pattern! Yes indeed back in the 60's or 70's when I was in school, one of my teachers made these little slippers for us at Christmas time.

One Christmas some years later, when I went to look for mine, after saving it for so many years, and many moves, I could not find it! I was so heartbroken! That little card meant so much to me and became a part of my "melancholic memories." So now, thanks to you, I can "recreate" my little lost slipper, and make a memory for some one else to look back on with the same pleasure and joy as I have! Thank you so much again, warmest wishes, Penny

Read More Comments...

November 25, 2009 Flag

I always save the Christmas cards we receive and like to send them to someone who can use them for recycling or making other crafts. Does anyone have such a name and address of where to send them? Thank you.

Annette

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our church would be happy to receive them-we make cards for a prayer ministry and nursing homes

St John United Methodist Church

12700 West US Highway 42

Prospect, KY 40059

attn: Caring Card Ministry

thanks

You can check a local daycare to see if they would like them for crafts. I work in a daycare and we use them for crafts and when the child's parent has a birthday we let them chose the the card they would like to give to their parent and that becomes the front of their card and they make the rest!

If you have any left, I would be happy to receive some. You can email me at:

Triciaminter AT yahoo.com.

I love to craft with them.

Read More Answers...

December 3, 2007 Flag

I would like to see pictures of things done (for Christmas) out of old Christmas Cards!

Decorations, boxes, tags, bowls, Angels & so on...

melody_yesterday from Sedalia, Missouri

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I let my grandchildren cut out the pretty fronts and glue them on poster board or colored construction paper to make Christmas table mattes, everyone enjoys them and each one is unique. You also can cover them with clear contact paper(as I did) to keep for the next year.

Read More Comments...

February 7, 2013 Flag

What are suggestions for ways to reuse past Christmas cards?

By Ann R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could see if you local school or Sunday school or club like Brownies wants them for craft projects.

I've cut off the pretty scene from cards, of all sorts. Then use a hole punch to put a hole thru it, along with a string & use it for a gift tag.

I have member of our church save their Christmas cards for me. I cut them apart making new cards using card stock and invitation size envelopes from an office supply store. I sometimes use the wording inside; either cutting it out and re-gluing or handwriting it. Also, many times there is a miniature size picture on the back cover that I use to make tags.

Read More Answers...

December 15, 2004 Flag

When I was a kid, my aunt made boxes out of old Christmas cards. She would punch holes along the sides and then crochet them together. The boxes even had a flap for a lid. I am looking for directions/pattern on how to make these.

Nancy from Pittsburgh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi Mom,

I think I found something that will help. http://robynefmelia.blogspot.com/2010/05/hanky-box-for-zoe.html

I'll bet the ones you might be thinking about are the hexagon shaped ones. The sides kind of bulged out. I have been looking for that pattern for years. I used to make them with my grandmother, she actually crocheted them together, using a crochet hook. I saw some for sale at a craft fair, but they would not give me a copy of the pattern. I will keep hunting surely someone has a pattern they are willing to share.

Well, I am still looking for the pattern for those Hexagon shaped boxes. The one that I keep seeing is not the right one. The one I want has curved sides that bulge out and make a box that is rounded on the outside. I know it must be hard to visualize if you have never seen one. I am determined to find a copy of the original one. I might have to try to create my own. I really want to make these for my children this year. They have been asking for years. I can't believe that they are not on the Internet somewhere, but I have searched under every description I can think of. Help!

Read More Answers...

January 3, 2008 Flag

Here's a great way to use old Christmas cards or those Christmas card samples you get in the mail, or even those Christmas cards you get on clearance after Christmas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 25, 2009 Flag

I love to save greeting cards people have sent me over the years. One day, while going through my box of cards, I thought how pretty they were and it was a shame they were packed away in a box.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 29, 2008 Flag

They can be used for so many things next Christmas: decoupage, wreaths, ornaments, decorations, collage, etc., etc., etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 17, 2009 Flag

How can I turn an old used Christmas card into a newer Christmas card, that is also cheap, creative, fun, and that several people can enjoy?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 11, 2012
Framed Business Card
Other Uses for Business Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
A woman filling out Christmas cards.
Saving Money on Christmas Cards
🎉
🎄