Using Zyrtec For a Dog With Allergies

Sometimes your vet will prescribe a medication developed for people to use with your pet. This is a guide about using Zyrtec for a dog with allergies.

August 31, 2010 Flag

My dog has severe skin allergies and the medication is getting quite expensive. Is it safe to give my dog over the counter Zyrtec? I tried Benadryl and it did not work. He does not have fleas. He is treated with Frontline. Can you please answer my question as soon as possible?

I would ask your vet, that seems risky to me.

I had tried everything else for my dog's allergies including Benadryl. Nothing worked for her except Zyrtec, I buy the Walmart or Kroger generic. She does great.

My dog a 185 lbs Saint Bernard was licking his paws raw and scratching everywhere. I tried everything out there including trying to find another food thinking his food could be the cause. My vet told me to give him Zyrtec and he stopped licking. Do not give your dog Zyrtec D that will hurt your dog. Just the Zyrtec. Again my vet told me to give zyrtec and it works. I give him one 10 mg tablet in the morning and if he starts to lick his paws at night I may give him one more. Good luck and enjoy your pets.

I have a 6 year old mastiff mix with chronic Atopic dermititis. It's pereneal which means he is bad all year. I have tried everything known to man..The benadryl does not work for him. After consulting with a holisting vet I dedide to try a few herbs and medicinal things. Some worked some did not.

This is what is working so far, I am giving him a table spoon of cold pressed coconut, a teaspoon of pure fish oil, and two zyrtec. I do this twice daily with his food. Please research cold pressed coconut, I buy mine organic from the vitamin shoppe, has to be cold pressed it has lauric acid which helps with immflamation.

Also, I feed a no grain diet but he has no food alllergies. Just wanted to note that. He had a full allergy test and his are fleas, every tree in the eastern sea board, dust mites, smoke...poor baby he lost all his hair this summer and he is finally growing it back and I say its the supplement of coconut and the fish oil.

His regular vet prescibed the zyrtec my mastiff is 90 pounds and he is taking 20 mg 2 times a day. His quality of life has improved significantly in a six week time frame. I hope you all find a solution sometimes you have to try different things. But please always consult your vet when giving human medications to your fur babies.

Just a note, for dogs with atopic dermititis please no air freshners, no plug ins, no window blinds that can accumulate dust, no rugs. And last but never least, invest in a good air purifier...average $150 homedepot for a good one. There is hope its just a commitment. Good luck.

February 22, 2014 Flag

My dog has allergies and her vet prescribed Zyrtec. She is also incontinent and I was wandering if the meds make her pee more? The one day we ran out of it, she stayed dry the whole time I was at work. (She wears a diaper when inside). Later that night she was no longer dry. So are there any effects that this could be causing? She is a Poodle, white terrier mix.

By Ps

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

One of my Chihuahua's has allergies. My Vet had me give her Benadryl and I have never had a problem with it. She weighs 12 pounds and I give her 1/2 tablet 2 times a day.

I gave my German Shepherd dog two Benadryl a day, one in the morning, one at night for years and never had a problem. I wonder about all the chemicals in Zyrtex.

Having allergies myself, I know that antihistamines can make you thirsty since they dry up your nasal membranes. Drink more, then pee more.

August 7, 2011 Flag

I have a male weeny dog who is turning 10 this year. This past fall or a little longer ago, he started getting so congested that he was breathing out of his mouth and getting these scabby pus welts all over his belly.

I took him to the vet, and they said he has allergies, and to pinpoint exactly what kind it'll cost an arm and two legs. So, they prescribed a bunch of stuff along with shampoos and changed his food. I bought a humidifier and changed the filter in the furnace. None of the medicines have worked, and I gave him Benadryl with the vet's knowledge. It was working for a few weeks, but now nothing is working.

So I bought Zyrtec and was wondering if it's safe, or is there anything else that can be done for my little guy. He is 16 pounds. I swear I have a box of tissues in every room. What can I do about his congestion problem? He's miserable along with me. So please help. His skin is getting a lot better. I just want him to breath better.

Depending on where you live, if there is a veterinary university nearby, they may help with taking care of your pup. Sort of like going to a hospital that is a teaching area for medical schools.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

Try searching online for 'over the counter medications that are safe to give dogs'---I do that often for our dogs and goats.

I have a Wheaten Terrier who has allergies also. He weighs fifty pounds and takes one generic Clariden tablet daily and generic Benedryl up to four times a day, as needed, at the suggestion of his vet. Adjust these medications according to your pets weight.

If your dog also has skin problems, swab the itchy areas with a fragrance-free baby wipe when he comes inside. This may be an allergy to grass or mold outside. Oatmeal shampoo is soothing, make sure there is no fragrance added.

Otherwise, make sure that your vet checks him to make sure there are no secondary infections which may require an antibiotic. Also, I was told that dogs with skin allergies tend to have food allergies too. A kibble without wheat or corn may help also.

I had a cairn terrier with many allergies. For his skin allergies I changed his diet to brown rice and canned salmon (bones and skin and all; they need it for the calcium and fat). This worked for him and he lived to be 17 without any further difficulty.

My friends wiener dog was allergic to lawn fertilizer. His belly would break out every spring. They or the Vet did not know what was causing it. I suggested they change to organic fertilizer and voila.... not more scratching and biting. They had gone so far as to put a muzzle on the poor little guy to stop the biting. Now he is 100%.

I have not had much experience with nasal allergies. Look for patterns in your dogs allergies. This helped me to figure out what was going on. Also you might try an air cleaner in you home. They remove allergens that are in the air. But it is a real mystery sometimes to try and find out what the culprit is. Don't give up and best of luck to you.

April 20, 2012 Flag

Does Zyrtec effect dog's liver and kidneys?

By Ragtopsallie

It shouldn't unless there's something already wrong with your dog's liver and kidneys.

If your dog has severe liver or kidney disease, Zyrtec might not be right for the dog.

If your dog does not have bad liver or kidneys, Zyrtec should be okay.

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 14, 2014
Dog standing by food dish.
Does My Dog Have Food Allergies?
Dog With Allergies
Treating Dogs With Seasonal Allergies
Dog With Food Allergies
Feeding a Dog With Food Allergies
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies