Treating a Dog with Allergies

The first step in treating a dog that seems to have allergies is to determine what they are allergic to. Dogs can develop allergies to their food, as well as experience allergic reactions to fleas, household products, etc. Once the cause is known then the best solution(s) can be tried. You will also want to treat the skin damage done by licking and scratching.

My dog has allergies. What can I do about it? Please help.

Bill from Clinton, MO

Answers

By nancycorinne (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I concur with the person who said Benadryl. I give my dog 25 mg (1 pill over the counter) every time I see she is itchy. She weighs about 45 pounds. It really works, and in my dog's case it is on an as needed basis.

By StephanieAnnF (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hey all, go to walmart and try this hydrocortisone spray it's in a blue bottle made by Hartz. It was like 4 bucks. I sprayed that on my pit's stomach underneath his arms and legs because he wouldn't stop scratching. It helped right away!

I had went to the vet and he didn't help at all. However I still have a problem with my pups eyes they are constantly itchy and runny... can't find anything for that. The worthless vet said the pup has allergies and didn't help me. He sure took my 300 bux no problem though. Anyway hope that spray works as good for u as it did for me. I know white dogs have a lot of skin problems.

Answer this Question

6 More Questions

I have a male weeny dog who is turning 10 this year. This past fall or a little longer ago, he started getting so congested that he was breathing out of his mouth and getting these scabby pus welts all over his belly.

I took him to the vet, and they said he has allergies, and to pinpoint exactly what kind it'll cost an arm and two legs. So, they prescribed a bunch of stuff along with shampoos and changed his food. I bought a humidifier and changed the filter in the furnace. None of the medicines have worked, and I gave him Benadryl with the vet's knowledge. It was working for a few weeks, but now nothing is working.

So I bought Zyrtec and was wondering if it's safe, or is there anything else that can be done for my little guy. He is 16 pounds. I swear I have a box of tissues in every room. What can I do about his congestion problem? He's miserable along with me. So please help. His skin is getting a lot better. I just want him to breath better.

By DLR

Answers

Best Answer

I have a Wheaten Terrier who has allergies also. He weighs fifty pounds and takes one generic Clariden tablet daily and generic Benedryl up to four times a day, as needed, at the suggestion of his vet. Adjust these medications according to your pets weight.

If your dog also has skin problems, swab the itchy areas with a fragrance-free baby wipe when he comes inside. This may be an allergy to grass or mold outside. Oatmeal shampoo is soothing, make sure there is no fragrance added.

Otherwise, make sure that your vet checks him to make sure there are no secondary infections which may require an antibiotic. Also, I was told that dogs with skin allergies tend to have food allergies too. A kibble without wheat or corn may help also.

Best Answer

I had a cairn terrier with many allergies. For his skin allergies I changed his diet to brown rice and canned salmon (bones and skin and all; they need it for the calcium and fat). This worked for him and he lived to be 17 without any further difficulty.

My friends wiener dog was allergic to lawn fertilizer. His belly would break out every spring. They or the Vet did not know what was causing it. I suggested they change to organic fertilizer and voila.... not more scratching and biting. They had gone so far as to put a muzzle on the poor little guy to stop the biting. Now he is 100%.

I have not had much experience with nasal allergies. Look for patterns in your dogs allergies. This helped me to figure out what was going on. Also you might try an air cleaner in you home. They remove allergens that are in the air. But it is a real mystery sometimes to try and find out what the culprit is. Don't give up and best of luck to you.

Answer this Question

Unfortunately many dogs develop allergies to commercial dog foods. Low ingredient foods sometimes help, but if not, pet owners often try to provide homemade food. This is a page about recipes for a dog with allergies.

A dog eating food.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Determining the cause of your pet's allergic reaction is the first step to treating and hopefully preventing reoccurrences. This is a page about treating a dog with severe skin allergies.

A dog with a severe skin condition.

This is a page about feeding a dog with food allergies. Many dogs suffer from food allergies.

Dog With Food Allergies

Any ideas on how to help dog with allergys? He is scratching himself like crazy and making himself bleed. I took him to the vets they gave him allergy pills, but he still scratches.

In These Pages
Pets Dogs HealthOctober 16, 2019
🍂
😷
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Treating-a-Dog-with-Allergies-2.html