Using an Effusion Oil Lamp

Effusion Oil Lamps
Effusion oil lamps are an alternative to candles for disbursing your favorite fragrance throughout your home. This is a guide about using an effusion oil lamp.

I had recently bought a lamp burner (something like lampe berger) and came across recipes using isopropyl alcohol and essential oils.
The recipe I got was 16oz of isopropyl alcohol and 2 tablespoon distilled water and 5ml - 10ml essential oil (depending on strength).

I have a few questions. First, if the concentration of the isopropyl alcohol is 99% is it alright to use? Secondly, why must distilled water be used in the solution? Would it cause the burning effect to be affected as water is a non inflammable? And finally, I find that especially when I try to use sandalwood essential oil for burning, the stone will not be burning after an hour or so. Why is that?
Thank you.

By Stephen from Sarawak, Malaysia

I make my own fragrances for my Lampes Berger using 16 oz. of 91% isopropyl alcohol, 8-10 drops of a pure essential oil, and NO water. I have had no problems with the stones going out.

I don't understand why some recipes recommend adding distilled water, but my Lampes work fine without it. Personally I think it's the water that may be fouling the stone and causing it to go out.

Can you use essential oils instead of the fragrance oils in making fuel for catalytic lamps?

Is effusion oil and lamp berge' oil the same thing?

By Melody D.