Making Oil for Effusion Lamps

Category Home Decor
Effusion lamps are a great way to add a pleasant fragrance to your home or office. Save money and make your own scented effusion oil by mixing isopropyl alcohol (91 or 99%) with oil scents.

I would like to learn to make the fragrance oil to burn in a lamberge lamp.

Debby from Vinton, LA

Answers

Best Answer

Use 3 ounces of your preferred oil( fragrance), 16 ounces 91% Isopropyl Alcohol,
I make mine using eucalyptus oil,
love it

By joann (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi--with regards to the concentration of the isopropyl alcohol, I spoke just TODAY with a man who makes fragrance oils for berger wick lampes. He said to use 99% isopropyl alcohol (medical grade)--I found it online for $2.39 plus s/h. A little more expensive, but it will insure the "health" of the wick and stone.
Still really inexpensive when compared to the cost of the fuel. You can buy replacement wicks/stones at a great price from courtneyscandles.com
They are very nice people who have lots of information. I bought 3 lampes from them, too! Courtney's own brand. Good luck!

How do you make Mediterranean Fig Fragrance Oil for catalytic lamps?

Melissa from Blytheville, AR

Answers

Best Answer

Find a site that sells fig fragrance oil, try Wellington fragrance oil. Use 2 teaspoons of oil per 16 oz. 91% alcohol, mix the oil in a little acetone then pour into the alcohol bottle. Works great.

By Bobbie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have never found anything that can compare to Sophia's Fig. I have been selling the fuel for 6 years and it is still the best seller.

I would rather buy it from them than to risk loosing my regular customers who keep me in business buying it.

I have made my own 'oil' for my lamp, but it takes forever to get it to light and then it doesn't stay hot enough to bring the scent into the room. Have I done something wrong? I used 91% alcohol and 10 drops scent.

By Linda

Answers

Best Answer

I fixed it! I soaked the entire wick assembly in 91% rubbing alcohol. Set it out to dry for about 24 hours and started over with my handmade oil. Now it works perfectly.

Best Answer

I use 91% as well BUT from a 16 oz. bottle I take out 1 tablespoon of alcohol and replace it with 1 tablespoon of DISTILLED water to reduce the alcohol to 90%.

Then I add the essential oil. For 16 oz of liquid, I add one tablespoon of oil. Works great!

Can anybody tell me how make oakmoss essential oil thin enough to make drop by drop. Also I would like to know if oakmoss will clog up my lampe berger stone. Does anyone have any recipe ideas for my lampe berger.

Thank you everyone in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

It is quite simple to make your own fragrance oils at home. There is only 2 basic ingredients. First, you will need isopropyl alcohol and any fragrance oil.

You will mix 16oz of isopropyl alcohol with 10 drops of your fragrance oil in a bottle.

If you want to use your oakmoss it is possible. Just mix 10 drops of your oakmoss with 16oz of isopropyl alcohol. Shake well and pour in your lamp. Mixing it with isopropyl alcohol won't clog your lamp. If you don't use all the oil you have mixed, store the oil in a cool place using an airtight container.

When making diffusers, I would like to know if I can use surgical spirit B.P. instead of rubbing alcohol? Both are 99% alcohol. Please let me know.

Answers

Best Answer

I think they are basically the same thing. Here is an article on Wikipedia about rubbing alcohol and it has information on surgical spirit B.P. and how it is comparable to rubbing or isopropyl alcohol in the U.S.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Rubbing_alcohol

If you try it, let us know how it works out.

I use isopropyl alcohol, 99.5, but the smell is too alcoholic! How much is the right amount of essential oil in 500ml of alcohol?

By Stefano M

Answers

Best Answer

I use the 91% rubbing alcohol and about 12 drops of essential oil. Works well...using alcohol any less % will NOT work! Too much oil will not work as well either.

I would love to have the recipe so I can make my own effusion oil for my diffuser lamp. The oil is so expensive when you buy it in stores. Does anyone know how to make it? Thanks.

By Jeanie Hart from Mobile, AL

Answers

Best Answer

There is an excellent website for effusion lamps. It not only gives instructions on making your own oil but also care of the lamp, wick, etc. I made some last week and it works wonderfully.

christys-thriftydecorating.blogspot.../.../effusion-lamps.html

What is the correct amount of scented oil you use for 91% alcohol for a lampe berger? My lamp doesn't get very hot or hardly any scent. I can't afford to buy it already made up!

Thanks.

By Polly Johnson from Klamath Falls, OR

Answers

The secret is to use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (not the same as rubbing alcohol) - available at any Drug Store and inexpensive.

99% Isopropyl Alcohol will get the ceramic top part of the wick to it's right temperature after a minute or two, after which you blow out the flame and the ceramic will remain hot until either snuffed out or the alcohol is used up.

As for adding fragrance, you can either use essential oils (pure natural extracts - usually more expensive) or fragrance oils (synthetic fragrances - usually stronger and much larger fragrance selection and more reasonably priced compared to essential oils.)

How much you use depends on the type of oils you chose to use.
The general rule of thumb I use, is 8 to 10 drops of fragrance or essential oil per 250ml of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Good Luck, have fun and enjoy your Fragrance lamp without breaking the bank.

As soapmaker, i use Essential oil and fragrance on a daily basis. You can find a lot of great scent for create the lamp mix at place like www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com. I am so happy that I found that website! I was looking for refill for my Berger lamp and the price of the "real stuff" is prohibitive. I like to use natural product as much as possible and it's now possible to make my Berger lamp spread EO all over the house, yeah me! :)

I pay $33.00 a week for a small 16 ounce bottle of the pre made. I could smack myself stupid for not knowing I could make my own. Never turning back.

$33.00? Wow, that is the typical price for the 1 liter size.

Where are you getting it from?

I just checked on Amazon and ALL of them are expensive. Some smaller bottles could be about $20 but larger are $30 +

When making your own fusion lamp fuel, can you mix essential oils and fragrance oils together? I have some fragrance oils that I like to mix together to get my own scent, but have run out of vanilla, and the only oil I can buy local is essential oil.

Answers

Hello ! Essential oils shouldn't be burnt but only diffused and not all essential oils should be diffused. Fragrance oils can be made with chemical products but a product marked "essential oils" should be made from plant only. Each essential oil has its usage some are made for external use like skin massage other can be ingested if prescribed for medical use. When diffusing essential oil you breath it and it gets in contact with your eyes, diffusing oils like cedar oil, tea tree oil, is dangerous. My advice is to check wether what is sold to you as essential oil is really essential oil and if it is check its specific usage and my guess is that if you had bought true vanilla essential oils you surely would not burn it because of its price. In my country the lowest quality is sold 1844 dollars per liter !

Does anyone have directions for making my own catalyst lamp oil?

By debbie from Perham, MN

Answers

I have just brought my first oil lamp but it there a difference in a fragrance lamp and an oil lamp you light to show a flam. Also I have the one that produces a flame, Can i and fragrance-essential oils to it to develop a sent, and if so which ones and which light oils can essentials be added to. I like amber essential oils,

What is the best recipe for mixing fragrance oil to burn in a catalytic burner?

By EJ Green from Los Angeles, CA

Answers

I don't know what percent the alcohol is, but it is not the regular rubbing alcohol, but the next higher percentage strength. Just look at the store next to the 'regular' alcohol. Then choose whatever kind of scent oil you want to use---the kind of oil that is used to scent potpourri.
Start with pouring 1/4 of the vial of oil into the alcohol, recap it, and shake. You may need to increase the amt of oil.
I use that in my 'Lamp Berge" type of lamp.

Can you use denatured alcohol instead of isopropyl?

By Jerry

I need a recipe for essential oil fragrance for catalyst burner. Can anyone help?

By Joan Duncan from Mt. Pleasant, TX

Can you use candle fragrance oil in lamp oil?

Jennie

What is the difference between surgical spirit and isopropyl alcohol being used in catalytic lamp diffusers?

Constance from TX

What type of oils do you use to make fragrance lamp fuel? Essential oils, Perfume oils, or any fragrance oils? And what about the the flash point degree for the oil? Do you have a recipe for making fragrance lamp fuel?

Does anyone have a recipe for fragrant infusion fuel? This is a type of a room fragrance that is released into the air using wooden reeds in a glass container that holds the fuel. Thank you.

Mike

Answers:

Answers:

Making Oil For Infusion Lamps

I use 16 ounces of 91% - 99% isopropyl alcohol (sometimes I mix equal amounts of the two different percentages of alcohol, making 95%) and add up to 8 CCs (approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons) of either fragrance oil or essential oil. I use less oil if the fragrance is too strong. I have been using this formula for years without any problems. For really strong fragrance oils (such as "Nagchampa", I will use as little as 3 CCs (approximately 1/2 teaspoon), to 16 ounces of isopropyl alcohol. (06/19/2007)

By Thomas

Making Oil For Infusion Lamps

Go to Walmart in crafts, get 16fl. oz. isopropyl alcohol 91% vol. and they have fragrance oils called Elegant Expressions in 2oz. bottles. Add 1 bottle of fragrance oil to 16oz. of isopropyl alcohol 91%, shake up well and it's ready to use.
(07/01/2008)

By kennetha

How can I make oil that smells?

(format_html)I am looking for fragrance lamp fuel recipe.

Mimi-v from Monroe, LA

Answers:

Fragrance Lamp Fuel Recipe

I buy the alcohol at Wal-Mart. The fragrance oil (.3 oz) equals 1 3/4 teaspoons. So far I have tried different brands of fragrance oils without any problems. I did discover that some oils are more potent than others and I had to dilute it with more alcohol. I add the oil right to the alcohol bottle and then label the bottle with the name of the fragrance. My friend bought her oil on E-bay and got a very good deal. She only uses one scent. Not like me, I have about ten different scents that I use. So far, I really like my fragrance lamp. I only have it but a few months. I'm wondering how long the stone will last. I guess time will tell. (12/07/2005)

By it's.only.me

RE: Fragrance Lamp Fuel Recipe

Has anyone tried this? I just got a Lampe Berger and have really enjoyed using it. I will try this recipe out and repost about how it went. (01/02/2006)

By Sara C

RE: Fragrance Lamp Fuel Recipe

Has this recipe worked for anyone so far? I thought I read that Lampe Berger Lamps don't use oil and may not work. (01/04/2006)

By mirta

RE: Fragrance Lamp Fuel Recipe

I used a little bottle of the Christmas Joy oil, that someone had given me a couple of years ago, with 16 ozs. 91% alcohol from Walmart. It really smells nice. My price was about $1.00. (03/17/2006)

By Shirley Burks

RE: Fragrance Lamp Fuel Recipe

I made the fuel just like the recipe 91% alcohol and fragrance with the fragrance. It works well the first light but the second light it does not. Does anyone know why? I have to alternate the store brand and the homemade brand to keep the stone working. (03/30/2006)

By debbie

RE: Fragrance Lamp Fuel Recipe

I tried this recipe and my stone no longer works. Maybe it was just time to replace my stone. (06/07/2006)

By Kim