Valentine's DayCrafts

Valentine's Day Banner

I volunteer at a daycare for mentally challenged individuals and plan simple art projects with inexpensive supplies to make together. I thought I'd share them since they can be used in classrooms or even at home!

Total Time: 2 hours

1. I first cut the publications in half. I do this because it easily makes 7 or 8 (according to how many pages in the publication) banners easily since I do this project for 50 patients.
  2. I cut a V out of the bottom section. I cut them all together so it goes quickly!
  3. Ad
  4. Now, I remove the staple in the center of the publications and separate the pages so there are one for each student.
  5. Next I fold some colored paper in half, then in half again to create 4 hearts when I cut it out.
  6. Ad
  7. I cut the heart out freehand but you could trace or sketch a heart on the top quarter page and follow that for all four hearts. If you students are capable, you could trace a heart and have them cut them out.
  8. Ad
  9. Next, they use their glue stick and glue the heart to the banner sheet.
  10. This is where you can let them draw and write their name on the heart. We also handed out the little hearts and let them stick them on.
  11. Ad
  12. We will string the cord along the wall and simply slip the banner onto the cord since it is open on the bottom. We will also tie some pretty yarn or even crepe paper in between each name and space them out.
  13. It will be fun for them to look for their own names and see their artwork hanging.
  14. I think I will have each person decorate two of these banners and string a smaller cord on the second banner for them to bring home as a door hanger for their home. Cute, personal, inexpensive and easy!