Washer Isn't Draining

I have a question on my my Maytag washing machine. It's a top loading Atlantis model. Recently it has been over flowing and not spinning out the water after a wash cycle.

I opened the top and put it through a couple of loads and I noticed that the machine goes into a slow spin after washing, but does not drain. But if I open the cover, then close it, the water drains immediately.

Am I looking at a stuck valve, sock in the pump, bad relay? Clues, hints? I'm trying to avoid having a repair man come out. They tend to be 1/2 the cost of a new one just to come by and look.

By Steveberry from Littleton, MA

Answers:

Washer Isn't Draining

If it's fairly new, I'd say sock in the pump. Most companies have a hotline number for self repair, and you can get advice. Or they used to. (09/04/2009)

By PIKKA

Washer Isn't Draining

You might try totally unplugging it and leave it for 24 hours, this sometimes remedies the synch problem and lets the washer "computer" reset it's self. This information came from a GE repairman who worked on mine while it was still under warranty. He said that washers were just like home computers, that occasionally they get a glitch in them and need a reboot (unplugged for 24 hours). I have done this in the past when my machine was acting up and it came back to normal operation. Thank goodness because my warranty expired 3 years ago. (09/07/2009)

By xraysrfun

Washer Isn't Draining
Top Loading Washer
Top Loading Washer Not Draining
yellow slime mold on mulch
Getting Rid of Slime Mold
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
🎉
🎄