Top Loading Washer Not Draining

Top Loading Washer
Your washer just completed the wash cycle and will not drain. This is a guide about a top loading washer not draining.

I have the older Frigidaire stacked washer and dryer. It is not a front load. I turn on my washer and everything seems to work fine until it gets to the spin cycle. On the spin cycle the water does not seem to want to drain corrrectly or fast enough. The spin cycle is making like a grinding noise and as it spins the water is not releasing fast enough. It will get pushed to the top of drum and leak out the top of the drum as the spinning catches speed. What is the grinding noise and what is causing it to not drain correctly? I mean it will spin, but has a gringing noise, and it will drain, but not correctly.

By Britt

We had the same problem a couple of years ago with an old washer and, as we expected, had to buy a new washer as the awful grinding noise was just the prelude to certain failure.

If you have a reliable repair person in your area, give them a call. They will likely be able to tell you if this is repairable for a sensible fee, or if it is time to get a new washer. Some repairs are simple and cost effective; other times the whole machine has worn out pretty much at the same time.

My Frigidaire top loader will not drain the water or spin after the wash or rinse cycle. What is the problem and how do I repair it?

By Terry from Cape, MO

When I had this problem in a washer, I had a broken water pump. You probably need to call in a service man.

How old is it? If it's 10 or more years old, it might be dead. Otherwise look on web for an 800 number for Frigidaire and find their do it yourself repair number and talk to someone. I used to have a GE washer and dryer, and occasionally had to fix it and got help via their parts/repair people. However we used the sets

each and every day, about 2-3 times per day, and after 10 years the set was toast. Went through 2 sets that way, but happy with them.

I have a LG top load washer. It is a little over a year old. My washer is running through the the wash cycle, but won't drain. It sounds like it's sucking water and a little comes out but then it stops and reads OE code. I checked all the drain tubes, inside and outside, checked the drain pump and even replaced it. The problem is still occurring. Anyone have any other suggestions as to what the problem is? I can't really afford to pay an arm and a leg for repairman right now:(

If you have your manual for the dishwasher find out if you have a screen over the drain. They need to be cleaned. Otherwise it may be your pump is faulty.

I have an 11 year old GE washer that has stopped draining properly or spinning on the cycle I use the most. However, it still works on the quick wash cycle. Any ideas what might be wrong with it?

By 1Buckley from Marietta, GA

Answers

I have a basic Maytag washing machine and it started spinning out less and less water with more and more water being left in the bowl. I got my husband to pull the hose apart down the bottom and inside was a build up of fluff and grime, that would not let the water out, worked like a dream once it was removed.

Check your warranty it should still be under warranty.

I have a GE top load washer that is holding water after the wash cycle is complete. You cannot see the water, but if you shake the drum you can hear the water. The water has a moldy smell and I cannot get this water to drain. I have run the washer on all cycles, have taken the drain hose off, and even have turned the washer upside down to see if any of the water would drain out, no luck there. All of this just made the smell stronger. Any ideas?

By Chris C.

My washer is not emptying water after washing and getting ready for rinsing.

By Sandra from Woodland, CA