Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing

I live in an apartment complex, and I use their laundry room for washing clothes. I have noticed that after washing and drying some of my clothes, there are "tea" colored spots on them. This has happened in other apartment building laundry facilities I have used also. Why is this happening? What can I do about getting them out? I've tried bleach, to no avail.

By elyag from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing

Hi,
Are you sure that it is not the water? Sometimes when I wash whites it looks like a brownish color. The only other option would be that someone left something in the washer/ dryer. Good luck! (06/02/2009)

By CBLAISDELL

Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing

I think it's rust. Look for tips on removing rust. (06/02/2009)

By PIKKA

Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing

This has happened to me twice over the years and both times it was oil leaks from the washer and it needed servicing. It was the oil seal that needed replacing. (06/04/2009)

By Ausjulie

Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing

I had that problem and it was a rust spot in the washer. It needed to be painted over. Tell the maintenance guy. Good luck. (06/05/2009)

By mulberry204

Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing

I just wanted to make a comment about using public laundry rooms. You are better off doing a Clorox wash to remove germs, and then, in the same washer, do the rest of your washing. I read this somewhere. Sounds like a good idea. (06/05/2009)

By cookwie

Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing

Agree with Ausjulie on the oil seal leaking; tell the maintenance person. Back in the days when we were apartment dwellers we ended up hauling our wash to an off site laundromat that had newer washers and dryers (since our building maintenance then overall wasn't great and we didn't see any improvement with the wash).

When we did the first loads in the newer laundromat, we were astonished by how much cleaner everything was. We'd been concentrating on those oil spots, but in reality everything had a dinginess to it.

I'd give everything a good shooting with the Oxyclean laundry spray (which seems to get almost everything out) and pre-treat the darkest spots with Dawn dish washing detergent. Try to get the wash done somewhere else if the building is iffy about maintaining the laundry room. (06/05/2009)

By PupperMom

Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing

My washer does it all the time and it's not rust, it's red clay in the water lines. When we have a broken pipe that's when it happens. So what I do is I fill my washer up with Bleach water first before putting my white clothes in, or I will put my dark clothes in that way the rust or whatever it is in the lines will come out of the pipes. Also there is a rust remover you can use to get rid of the rust. Hope this helps. (06/05/2009)

By margaret spurlock

Washer Leaving Brown Stains on Clothing
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
🎉
🎄