AdviceGardening

What is This Plant?

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? A neighbor gave it to me, and said it was dying. Now it has 3 new leaves. I don't know what I've done right but I would hate to lose it come winter. Help.

By cntrygrlshari from Morgantwon, WV

The plant is called elephant ears or colocasia. The Elephant's Ear Plant has big floppy leaves that look exactly like an elephant's ears! Its giant leaves are dark green, green and white, and the stems are green, red, purple, or violet. The Elephant's Ear Plant is grown from a tuber (a root that looks like a potato) which you plant in the spring. It prefers to

live in moist areas with some shade, but it can also grow well in containers.

Like an elephant, the Elephant's Ear Plant likes water, and you can give it a bath by misting its big leaves. When the cold weather makes the Elephant's Ear Plant leaves turn brown in the Fall season, dig up its tuber and store in a dry, cool place until you can plant it again in the warm, Spring season. it's a great plant!

Anonymous

It looks like elephant ears.

I never knew what it was called, I do now, we have one in the garden and the bright red berrys that come after are very attractive. Gail x