What is This Plant? Creeping Charlie

A creeping charlie with a purple flower.
Creeping charlie love it or hate it is also commonly known as ground ivy. It is a low growing, spreading plant that can be quite invasive, although some gardeners use it as ground cover for this very reason. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (creeping charlie).

This plant is taking over my back yard. I was wondering if it was pennyroyal. It has purple flowers in the spring and grows by spreading of the root system.

By Becky

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

The plant that you questioned looked to me like what we call Creeping Charlie or Ground Ivy. It spread on thread like runners through the lawn and garden and is almost impossible to get rid of. I just keep on pulling it out wherever I see it. It is a never ending challenge.

Creeping Charlie, also known as ground ivy and a few other names. I can think of a real nasty one myself! lol Good luck in getting rid of it. I finally had to have a service come in but I will have to have them again. It is extremely hard to get rid of. Google Creeping Charlie and you will find ways to get rid of it. Borax is supposed to work but unless you put the correct amount on it will render your lawn useless for several years.

Since you mention that it has purple flowers in the Spring, it sounds like wild violets to me. Just as bad as Creeping Charlie! Get rid of it any way you can or it will take over your whole yard. I am working on pulling up as much as I can. If I see new leaves shooting up I squirt them with Round-Up. It is going to take a while to delete all of it, but seems to be working!

It is called Creeping Charley. It does take over, but is easy to pull. Smells good too.