What is This Garden Plant?

Trying to identify a volunteer or established plant planted by a previous owner can be a challenge. This is a guide about what is this garden plant?

Known by common names such as lamb's quarter, pigweed and goosefoot, chenopodium album is a fast-growing annual. It is mostly considered a weed, but the young shoots are eaten around the world, and has been found in ancient food storages. This is a guide about what is this plant? lamb's quarters.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

The velvetleaf plant, a native of Eastern Europe, Asia, and north Africa, is a noxious annual that reproduces from seed. The plant can reach 3 - 8 feet and produces one yellow to yellow orange flower per solitary stalk. It outcompetes for resources with surrounding plants. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" Velvetleaf.

This north american annual from the sunflower family, is considered a noxious weed and an allergen. This is a guide about what is this plant? (giant ragweed).

This native of Uruguay and Brazil is a small shrub or vining plant with clusters of sky blue flowers. It is a member of the milkweed family. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (Tweedia caerulea).

The Empress (or Princess) tree is native to China and produces beautiful, large fragrant, purple flowers. This guide identifies and provides information about the Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa).

Sicklepod is a legume. It grows wild on many continents and is typically considered a serious weed in most areas. This is a guide about, "What is this plant? sicklepod (Senna obtusifolia)".

The plumeria is a flowering tropical tree like plant. The flowers are fragrant and open quite widely, displaying five petals. This is a guide about, "What Is This Plant" Plumeria (Frangipani).

Creeping charlie love it or hate it is also commonly known as ground ivy. It is a low growing, spreading plant that can be quite invasive, although some gardeners use it as ground cover for this very reason.

This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (creeping charlie).

If you have a plant growing in your yard that looks like this, it is probably a locust tree. This is a guide about what is this plant? (locust tree).

If you have a plant that looks like this, it may be a China Doll Ficus. This is a guide about what is this plant?.

When moving into a previously owned home you inherit a garden often with plants that may be unfamiliar to you. Some of them such as this example are grown for their fragrant flowers, despite the entire plant being quite toxic.

This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (lily of the valley).

It is not uncommon for volunteer plants to come up in your garden, leaving you baffled as to what they are. Identifying them is sometimes difficult. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (bee balm).

The strawflower is a drought tolerant, sun loving plant with long-lasting flowers in an array of colors including red, orange, pink, purple yellow, and white. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (Strawflower)

It is not uncommon to purchase plants from local nurseries and big box stores that have no useful information on their tags, not even the the name of the plant. This is a guide about, "What is the name of this ivy?".

The trout lily, a perennial native of the eastern North American woodlands, is known for its pretty yellow flower, colony growth habit, and gray-green mottled leaves. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" Trout lily (Erythronium americium).

My friend just moved into a new home and we have been trying to figure out what kind of plant this is. It's grown very rapidly since she has moved in. It has flowers that only open at night and these spiky balls that just started growing on it.

Answers

Best Answer

Hello !
The plant is a Datura. Although the strenght of the toxins it contains depends on its age and condition of growth, consider all parts as extremely toxic, the seeds and the flowers being the most poisonous parts of the plant. It is an annual plant or a short live plant at the best. As it seems from the picture you have posted that the plant is reachable from the public space, I think that it should be cut back to its foot to do not run any risk.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

This appears to be a datura plant.. The plant has very pretty flowers but unfortunately is quite poisonous.

Many of you are growing this plant, though maybe not this particular variety.
A tuppence to the first to correctly answer this question!

Catherine?

What is this plant? I found it in the woods by my house. Dose anyone have an idea?

Aliesha

Answers

Best Answer

I believe it is solanum virus, also known as tropical soda apple. It is part of the nightshade family and is considered an invasive species.

http://www.inva  opicalsoda.shtml

Does anyone know the variety of this dogwood? It was said to be a western dogwood. It is not. The closest I have come while researching is the Ivory Halo dogwood, but its leaf margins are almost pure white, not a very deep cream as the picture shows. Maybe someone has this tree?

Answers

Best Answer

When this guy told me this 'dogwood' bloomed all Summer and part of Fall, something didn't seem right. (but then, I don't keep up with the latest developments in plant breeding).

He finally got around to sending me a picture. I thought 'Golly, first time I saw a dogwood with funnel shaped blooms'. More research.

Even though the leaves are not a perfect match with mine, there is no doubt; this plant is Weigela (pronounced Wy-GEE-la). The particular variety is 'Weigela florida Variegata'.

Many thanks to Betty, and to anyone who has been researching this but not yet reported in on this.

All is well. Weigela is probably easier to root than Dogwood, anyway. I need these in the field I'm trying to turn into a garden.
All four cuttings are now in a rooting medium.

The picture shows just a few of my gardening folders. For the most part, I know the name and variety of everything I grow. Sometimes, one will escape me.

I don't know how I came by this flower. I have searched the Internet repeatedly and cannot find a picture or name. It is a garden perennial and I'm sure it is fairly common. What is the name of this flower?

What kind of plant is this? I know it's not a mint because the stem is round, not square but it does run. I know it's not a Charlie, but the leaves are about the same size. It has a distinct odor that is not very pleasant.

It has very small stocks of white flowers in the fall. The leaves are soft and velvety and some have a pink tint on the edges. It is drought tolerant and frost resistant. I thought it was Mexican oregano but when I Google it the pictures are not the same.

By Babette from Lemon Grove, CA

I received this plant as a gift and I am not sure on what it is. Could anyone tell me? Thanks.

Lisa from Toronto, Ontario

Answers

I think it might be what we used to call a beefsteak begonia. It should get a begonia flower on it soon if it is.

Can anyone identify this plant for me? It just started blooming and will bloom until frost. It will then be killed to the ground and will remain dormant until late spring. At that time it will put up long shoots from the ground and grow into a vine.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Deanna D. Dison from North LA

What is this flower? It is very pretty.

Load More