What is This Garden Plant?

Trying to identify a volunteer or established plant planted by a previous owner can be a challenge. This is a page about what is this garden plant?

My friend just moved into a new home and we have been trying to figure out what kind of plant this is. It's grown very rapidly since she has moved in. It has flowers that only open at night and these spiky balls that just started growing on it.

Answers

Best Answer

Hello !
The plant is a Datura. Although the strenght of the toxins it contains depends on its age and condition of growth, consider all parts as extremely toxic, the seeds and the flowers being the most poisonous parts of the plant. It is an annual plant or a short live plant at the best. As it seems from the picture you have posted that the plant is reachable from the public space, I think that it should be cut back to its foot to do not run any risk.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

This appears to be a datura plant.. The plant has very pretty flowers but unfortunately is quite poisonous.

Many of you are growing this plant, though maybe not this particular variety.
A tuppence to the first to correctly answer this question!

Catherine?

What is this plant? I found it in the woods by my house. Dose anyone have an idea?

Aliesha

Answers

Best Answer

I believe it is solanum virus, also known as tropical soda apple. It is part of the nightshade family and is considered an invasive species.

www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/.../tropicalsoda.shtml

Does anyone know the variety of this dogwood? It was said to be a western dogwood. It is not. The closest I have come while researching is the Ivory Halo dogwood, but its leaf margins are almost pure white, not a very deep cream as the picture shows. Maybe someone has this tree?

Answers

Best Answer

When this guy told me this 'dogwood' bloomed all Summer and part of Fall, something didn't seem right. (but then, I don't keep up with the latest developments in plant breeding).

He finally got around to sending me a picture. I thought 'Golly, first time I saw a dogwood with funnel shaped blooms'. More research.

Even though the leaves are not a perfect match with mine, there is no doubt; this plant is Weigela (pronounced Wy-GEE-la). The particular variety is 'Weigela florida Variegata'.

Many thanks to Betty, and to anyone who has been researching this but not yet reported in on this.

All is well. Weigela is probably easier to root than Dogwood, anyway. I need these in the field I'm trying to turn into a garden.
All four cuttings are now in a rooting medium.

The picture shows just a few of my gardening folders. For the most part, I know the name and variety of everything I grow. Sometimes, one will escape me.

I don't know how I came by this flower.

I have searched the Internet repeatedly and cannot find a picture or name. It is a garden perennial and I'm sure it is fairly common. What is the name of this flower?

What kind of plant is this? I know it's not a mint because the stem is round, not square but it does run. I know it's not a Charlie, but the leaves are about the same size. It has a distinct odor that is not very pleasant.

It has very small stocks of white flowers in the fall. The leaves are soft and velvety and some have a pink tint on the edges. It is drought tolerant and frost resistant. I thought it was Mexican oregano but when I Google it the pictures are not the same.

By Babette from Lemon Grove, CA

I received this plant as a gift and I am not sure on what it is. Could anyone tell me? Thanks.

Lisa from Toronto, Ontario

Can anyone identify this plant for me? It just started blooming and will bloom until frost. It will then be killed to the ground and will remain dormant until late spring. At that time it will put up long shoots from the ground and grow into a vine.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Deanna D. Dison from North LA

What is this flower? It is very pretty.

This is a plant at work and I was wondering what it is. It has purple stems at the base.

My in law has a plant that has pretty much became a bush. It is beautiful. It only blooms at night with these beautiful white flowers. On the very bottom of the plants are growing these round balls with stickies on them. Inside of these are tons of seeds. This plant gives of a lovely scent. The only thing is that we do not know the name of it. If anybody can help with the name we would greatly be appreciated.

B Helmick

Answers

Could it be night blooming jasmine? Click on the link below to see some pictures and a description.

www.gardenguides.com/.../jasmine.htm

- Susan

Maybe it's a Moon Flower?

By Linda (Guest Post)

How about taking a piece to your local nursery and ask them? They should be glad to help!

My husband owns a garden center and he thinks it may be a moon flower. However, the moon flower plant is nonhardy in all zones except 9 and 10. Do your Inlaws live in a warm climate?

By Sue (Guest Post)

Moonflower has the sticky things. There is also a moonflower that vines.

It sounds like Jasmine. Are the leaves shiny and evergreen? Your County Agricultural Extension Agent would be able to identify it correctly for you if you bring a sample to him or her.

Good luck! It sounds wonderful.
Nancy from Pennsylvania

I found out what it is. Thanks to all who tried to help. It is a moon flower. Again Thanks.

By dean (Guest Post)

The name of this plant is Da Tura. It is also known as the Spirit plant. Go to your search engine (Google) and read about Da Tura. It is a plant that you do not want to have as it is very dangerous and was used back in the days of Mayan human sacrifices. The leaves and seed pod are a hallucinogen.

By Traci, SC (Guest Post)

That plant, moonflower, is aka Datura. It is hearty and has a beautiful bloom and sweet fragrance, but keep the children and pets from eating it and you and the plant/bush will be fine. I have several. The round thorny pods fall and more plants spring up, but it does have an interesting history and more recently, deadly results of dummies looking for a cheap high.

Can you send a photo of the flower to me at ttinalong @ yahoo.com (remove spaces) are a feedback photo for everyone to see see we well love to see it OK .
Tina is my name .

I find thes photo of moonflower

Photo sent in by Tina...

Anybody know tha name of this night blooming flower? It blooms at night, has a pleasant fragrance and thorny pods.

What is it? Is it poisonous? Should I be worried?

Answers

Best Answer

It is a Nightshade, aka Solanum Dulcamara, Snakeberry, and Blue Bindweed. I'd be careful.

I recently bought a small bush tree and it produced this lovely purple flower with a small yellow center. Can anyone recognize it and tell me what it's called?

By lahib

Answers

Best Answer

Try Solanum rantonnetii. Not a vine and it has the same leaves as your plant.

Does anyone know what kind of flower this is? I was told it is an annual, but more grew this year without me planting any seeds. Thanks for any help I can get.

By Carol Hanna from Ontario, Canada

I planted some parsley in this pot, but what is growing doesn't look like parsley to me. Most of it looks like grass, with maybe a few tomato plants? And most likely weeds. Anyone know what these plants are? I'd hate to pull them up only to find out that they are plants and not weeds! I did have tomatoes in this pot last year.

Misty from Wooster, OH

What kind of fruit tree is this? Or if it isn't a fruit tree, then what is it?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

Sherri from Orlando Florida

Is this a butterfly bush? Thanks, really trying to identify what I have at my new house.

Linda from Bellevue, NE

Can anyone identify this plant for me? Is it a weed or flower (perennial)? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Trudy from Bluffton, IN

I bought a container of rosemary from a greenhouse and this plant came up in the container. Can anyone tell me what it is?

I bought this fern at Lowe's. It was marked down to below half price. They had several for sale, all without tags. Not knowing how well I could grow them, I got just one. Had I known how well they would do, I would have gotten several.

I know next to nothing about ferns. This could be the common Boston fern everybody keeps hanging on their porch all summer. (Some of those people spend big money for ferns each spring and throw them all away each fall. Crazy).

Anyway, I was hoping another member was familiar enough with ferns to be able to identify this one. Do you know the name of this fern?

What is name of this shrub/plant? It has pink to purple blooms that bloom all summer. The blooms produce large seeds that resemble black peppercorns.

I bought a plant at a local nursery and noticed that this plant was growing with it so I separated them. Unfortunately I do not know what this is. The white flowers turn to green clusters then the berry like balls turn a black color. I would like to know what it is and if it will harm my cats.

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Alma from Corpus Christi, TX

What is the name of this plant?

Can someone tell me the name of this plant?

What is this and is it poisonous?

Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantApril 22, 2014
🌻
🎂
🎃