What is This Garden Plant?

Trying to identify a volunteer or established plant planted by a previous owner can be a challenge. This is a guide about what is this garden plant?

The Empress (or Princess) tree is native to China and produces beautiful, large fragrant, purple flowers. This guide identifies and provides information about the Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa).

What is This Plant? Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa)

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Sicklepod is a legume. It grows wild on many continents and is typically considered a serious weed in most areas. This is a guide about, "What is this plant? sicklepod (Senna obtusifolia)".

closeup of wheel and bracket

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The plumeria is a flowering tropical tree like plant. The flowers are fragrant and open quite widely, displaying five petals. This is a guide about, "What Is This Plant" Plumeria (Frangipani).

Plumeria (Frangipani)

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Creeping charlie love it or hate it is also commonly known as ground ivy. It is a low growing, spreading plant that can be quite invasive, although some gardeners use it as ground cover for this very reason. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (creeping charlie).

A creeping charlie with a purple flower.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

It is not uncommon for volunteer plants to come up in your garden, leaving you baffled as to what they are. Identifying them is sometimes difficult. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (bee balm).

A field of magenta bee balm flowers in bloom.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you have a plant growing in your yard that looks like this, it is probably a locust tree. This is a guide about what is this plant? (locust tree).

The pods of a locust tree.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When moving into a previously owned home you inherit a garden often with plants that may be unfamiliar to you. Some of them such as this example are grown for their fragrant flowers, despite the entire plant being quite toxic. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (lily of the valley).

A lily of the valley plant in bloom, with small white bell shaped flowers.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you have a plant that looks like this, it may be a China Doll Ficus. This is a guide about what is this plant?.

A China Doll Ficus growing outside.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The strawflower is a drought tolerant, sun loving plant with long-lasting flowers in an array of colors including red, orange, pink, purple yellow, and white. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (Strawflower)

Strawflower in bloom in a garden.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

It is not uncommon to purchase plants from local nurseries and big box stores that have no useful information on their tags, not even the the name of the plant. This is a guide about, "What is the name of this ivy?".

What is the Name of This Ivy?

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The trout lily, a perennial native of the eastern North American woodlands, is known for its pretty yellow flower, colony growth habit, and gray-green mottled leaves. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" Trout lily (Erythronium americium).

What is This Plant? Trout Lily (Erythronium americium)

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My friend just moved into a new home and we have been trying to figure out what kind of plant this is. It's grown very rapidly since she has moved in. It has flowers that only open at night and these spiky balls that just started growing on it.

Answers

Best Answer

Hello !
The plant is a Datura. Although the strenght of the toxins it contains depends on its age and condition of growth, consider all parts as extremely toxic, the seeds and the flowers being the most poisonous parts of the plant. It is an annual plant or a short live plant at the best. As it seems from the picture you have posted that the plant is reachable from the public space, I think that it should be cut back to its foot to do not run any risk.
Hope this helps.

Best Answer

This appears to be a datura plant.. The plant has very pretty flowers but unfortunately is quite poisonous.

What is this plant? I found it in the woods by my house. Dose anyone have an idea?

Aliesha

Answers

Best Answer

I believe it is solanum virus, also known as tropical soda apple. It is part of the nightshade family and is considered an invasive species.

http://www.inva  opicalsoda.shtml

What kind of plant is this? I know it's not a mint because the stem is round, not square but it does run. I know it's not a Charlie, but the leaves are about the same size. It has a distinct odor that is not very pleasant.

It has very small stocks of white flowers in the fall. The leaves are soft and velvety and some have a pink tint on the edges. It is drought tolerant and frost resistant. I thought it was Mexican oregano but when I Google it the pictures are not the same.

By Babbie from Lemon Grove, CA

The picture shows just a few of my gardening folders. For the most part, I know the name and variety of everything I grow. Sometimes, one will escape me.

I don't know how I came by this flower. I have searched the Internet repeatedly and cannot find a picture or name. It is a garden perennial and I'm sure it is fairly common. What is the name of this flower?

I received this plant as a gift and I am not sure on what it is. Could anyone tell me? Thanks.

Lisa from Toronto, Ontario

What is this flower? It is very pretty.

My in law has a plant that has pretty much became a bush. It is beautiful. It only blooms at night with these beautiful white flowers. On the very bottom of the plants are growing these round balls with stickies on them. Inside of these are tons of seeds. This plant gives of a lovely scent. The only thing is that we do not know the name of it. If anybody can help with the name we would greatly be appreciated.

B Helmick

Answers

Could it be night blooming jasmine? Click on the link below to see some pictures and a description.

http://www.gard  cles/jasmine.htm

- Susan

Maybe it's a Moon Flower?

How about taking a piece to your local nursery and ask them? They should be glad to help!

My husband owns a garden center and he thinks it may be a moon flower. However, the moon flower plant is nonhardy in all zones except 9 and 10. Do your Inlaws live in a warm climate?

Moonflower has the sticky things. There is also a moonflower that vines.

It sounds like Jasmine. Are the leaves shiny and evergreen? Your County Agricultural Extension Agent would be able to identify it correctly for you if you bring a sample to him or her.

Good luck! It sounds wonderful.
Nancy from Pennsylvania

I found out what it is. Thanks to all who tried to help. It is a moon flower. Again Thanks.

The name of this plant is Da Tura. It is also known as the Spirit plant. Go to your search engine (Google) and read about Da Tura. It is a plant that you do not want to have as it is very dangerous and was used back in the days of Mayan human sacrifices. The leaves and seed pod are a hallucinogen.

That plant, moonflower, is aka Datura. It is hearty and has a beautiful bloom and sweet fragrance, but keep the children and pets from eating it and you and the plant/bush will be fine. I have several. The round thorny pods fall and more plants spring up, but it does have an interesting history and more recently, deadly results of dummies looking for a cheap high.

Can you send a photo of the flower to me at ttinalong @ yahoo.com (remove spaces) are a feedback photo for everyone to see see we well love to see it OK .
Tina is my name .

I find thes photo of moonflower

Photo sent in by Tina...

Anybody know tha name of this night blooming flower? It blooms at night, has a pleasant fragrance and thorny pods.

I recently bought a small bush tree and it produced this lovely purple flower with a small yellow center. Can anyone recognize it and tell me what it's called?

By lahib

Answers

Best Answer

Try Solanum rantonnetii. Not a vine and it has the same leaves as your plant.

This is a plant at work and I was wondering what it is. It has purple stems at the base.

Does anyone know what kind of flower this is? I was told it is an annual, but more grew this year without me planting any seeds. Thanks for any help I can get.

By Carol from Ontario, Canada

Does anyone know the variety of this dogwood? It was said to be a western dogwood. It is not. The closest I have come while researching is the Ivory Halo dogwood, but its leaf margins are almost pure white, not a very deep cream as the picture shows. Maybe someone has this tree?

I planted some parsley in this pot, but what is growing doesn't look like parsley to me. Most of it looks like grass, with maybe a few tomato plants? And most likely weeds. Anyone know what these plants are? I'd hate to pull them up only to find out that they are plants and not weeds! I did have tomatoes in this pot last year.

Misty from Wooster, OH

What kind of fruit tree is this? Or if it isn't a fruit tree, then what is it?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

Sherri from Orlando Florida

Answers

; that looks like A loquat tree to me.
It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 years before it starts bearing fruit,
The seeds are quite large for a bird to have dropped it there.
Is there someone in your family that likes loquats? "
I do suggest you replant it further away from your fence, they can grow very large,

Not knowing what kind it is, it can grow any where from a 6 foot plant to a 20 foot plus three

the fruit looks like this

what is a loquat tree, and what kind of fruit does it grow? Can it be eaten?
jamish

It looks like a loquat tree. The fruit can be eaten and quite delicious when it's ripe. The skin can be easily peeled. It's tangy and sweet. I have 2 trees in my back yard (southern California). The fruits are considered medicinal in China and (supposedly)good for sore throat.

I have a couple of these, we call them here in the south, Japanese Plum or . They do get big, but you can keep their size down and they still produce. The fruit is sweet and juicy and are easily plantable. A bird can easily eat the fruit and drop the seed. But I have found, the birds never eat this fruit off my trees. Another name for them is a word that sounds like "meuse-pa-luce" or "mousse-pluce".

for sure those fruits are loquats. They are quite common here in Australia. The fruit is sweet, with a big pip in the middle.

Is this a butterfly bush? Thanks, really trying to identify what I have at my new house.

Linda from Bellevue, NE

Can anyone identify this plant for me? Is it a weed or flower (perennial)? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Trudy2 from Bluffton, IN

I bought this fern at Lowe's. It was marked down to below half price. They had several for sale, all without tags. Not knowing how well I could grow them, I got just one. Had I known how well they would do, I would have gotten several.

I know next to nothing about ferns. This could be the common Boston fern everybody keeps hanging on their porch all summer. (Some of those people spend big money for ferns each spring and throw them all away each fall. Crazy).

Anyway, I was hoping another member was familiar enough with ferns to be able to identify this one. Do you know the name of this fern?

What is name of this shrub/plant? It has pink to purple blooms that bloom all summer. The blooms produce large seeds that resemble black peppercorns.

I bought a plant at a local nursery and noticed that this plant was growing with it so I separated them. Unfortunately I do not know what this is. The white flowers turn to green clusters then the berry like balls turn a black color. I would like to know what it is and if it will harm my cats.

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Alma from Corpus Christi, TX

What is this and is it poisonous?

This plant grew well in the heat. Then when it started cooling down it sprouted tons of flower buds. This large stalk appeared with this tiny flower on it. The leaves are mulberry leaf shaped but have a spiky texture.

What is the name of a plant that has pink flowers, grows like a Hollyhock, but is much shorter? I have seeds that I got from another person. She said that it starts with an L.

By Bonita from Petersburg, NY

Can anyone identify this plant for me? It just started blooming and will bloom until frost. It will then be killed to the ground and will remain dormant until late spring. At that time it will put up long shoots from the ground and grow into a vine.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Deannan from North LA

Can anyone tell what kind of plant this is? I think it may just be a weed but I'm letting it grow.

By Willkng from TX

I was given this plant today and need to know if it is a sun or shade plant. It blooms a tubular pink flower, but it is not an angel trumpet.

I found it by the side of the road in a box of trash. It's not doing very well, I want to figure out how best to bring it back to health.

Can anyone please identify this common bush that blooms at this time of year? The little blooms smell wonderfully sweet like honeysuckle.
Photo taken 6-3-10.

By Ohio Girl from NE OH

Can anyone identify these flowers? They start out with a hairy pod and then bloom. I do not know if they are wild or if I planted them. They are purpelish blue.

By freedombelle2001 from Bellevue, NE

Load More