What is This Garden Plant?

Trying to identify a volunteer or established plant planted by a previous owner can be a challenge. This is a guide about what is this garden plant?

The Empress (or Princess) tree is native to China and produces beautiful, large fragrant, purple flowers. This guide identifies and provides information about the Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa).

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Sicklepod is a legume. It grows wild on many continents and is typically considered a serious weed in most areas. This is a guide about, "What is this plant? sicklepod (Senna obtusifolia)".

The plumeria is a flowering tropical tree like plant. The flowers are fragrant and open quite widely, displaying five petals. This is a guide about, "What Is This Plant" Plumeria (Frangipani).

Creeping charlie love it or hate it is also commonly known as ground ivy. It is a low growing, spreading plant that can be quite invasive, although some gardeners use it as ground cover for this very reason.

This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (creeping charlie).

It is not uncommon for volunteer plants to come up in your garden, leaving you baffled as to what they are. Identifying them is sometimes difficult. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (bee balm).

If you have a plant growing in your yard that looks like this, it is probably a locust tree. This is a guide about what is this plant? (locust tree).

When moving into a previously owned home you inherit a garden often with plants that may be unfamiliar to you. Some of them such as this example are grown for their fragrant flowers, despite the entire plant being quite toxic.

This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (lily of the valley).

If you have a plant that looks like this, it may be a China Doll Ficus. This is a guide about what is this plant?.

The strawflower is a drought tolerant, sun loving plant with long-lasting flowers in an array of colors including red, orange, pink, purple yellow, and white. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (Strawflower)

It is not uncommon to purchase plants from local nurseries and big box stores that have no useful information on their tags, not even the the name of the plant. This is a guide about, "What is the name of this ivy?".

The trout lily, a perennial native of the eastern North American woodlands, is known for its pretty yellow flower, colony growth habit, and gray-green mottled leaves. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" Trout lily (Erythronium americium).

My friend just moved into a new home and we have been trying to figure out what kind of plant this is. It's grown very rapidly since she has moved in. It has flowers that only open at night and these spiky balls that just started growing on it.

Answers

Best Answer

Hello !
The plant is a Datura. Although the strenght of the toxins it contains depends on its age and condition of growth, consider all parts as extremely toxic, the seeds and the flowers being the most poisonous parts of the plant. It is an annual plant or a short live plant at the best. As it seems from the picture you have posted that the plant is reachable from the public space, I think that it should be cut back to its foot to do not run any risk.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

This appears to be a datura plant.. The plant has very pretty flowers but unfortunately is quite poisonous.

Many of you are growing this plant, though maybe not this particular variety.
A tuppence to the first to correctly answer this question!

Catherine?

What is this plant? I found it in the woods by my house. Dose anyone have an idea?

Aliesha

Answers

Best Answer

I believe it is solanum virus, also known as tropical soda apple. It is part of the nightshade family and is considered an invasive species.

http://www.inva  opicalsoda.shtml

What kind of plant is this? I know it's not a mint because the stem is round, not square but it does run. I know it's not a Charlie, but the leaves are about the same size. It has a distinct odor that is not very pleasant.

It has very small stocks of white flowers in the fall. The leaves are soft and velvety and some have a pink tint on the edges. It is drought tolerant and frost resistant. I thought it was Mexican oregano but when I Google it the pictures are not the same.

By Babette from Lemon Grove, CA

The picture shows just a few of my gardening folders. For the most part, I know the name and variety of everything I grow. Sometimes, one will escape me.

I don't know how I came by this flower. I have searched the Internet repeatedly and cannot find a picture or name. It is a garden perennial and I'm sure it is fairly common. What is the name of this flower?

I received this plant as a gift and I am not sure on what it is. Could anyone tell me? Thanks.

Lisa from Toronto, Ontario

Can anyone identify this plant for me? It just started blooming and will bloom until frost. It will then be killed to the ground and will remain dormant until late spring. At that time it will put up long shoots from the ground and grow into a vine.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Deanna D. Dison from North LA

What is this flower? It is very pretty.

My in law has a plant that has pretty much became a bush. It is beautiful. It only blooms at night with these beautiful white flowers. On the very bottom of the plants are growing these round balls with stickies on them. Inside of these are tons of seeds. This plant gives of a lovely scent. The only thing is that we do not know the name of it. If anybody can help with the name we would greatly be appreciated.

B Helmick

Answers

Could it be night blooming jasmine? Click on the link below to see some pictures and a description.

http://www.gard  cles/jasmine.htm

- Susan

Maybe it's a Moon Flower?

By Linda (Guest Post)

How about taking a piece to your local nursery and ask them? They should be glad to help!

My husband owns a garden center and he thinks it may be a moon flower. However, the moon flower plant is nonhardy in all zones except 9 and 10. Do your Inlaws live in a warm climate?

By Sue (Guest Post)

Moonflower has the sticky things. There is also a moonflower that vines.

It sounds like Jasmine. Are the leaves shiny and evergreen? Your County Agricultural Extension Agent would be able to identify it correctly for you if you bring a sample to him or her.

Good luck! It sounds wonderful.
Nancy from Pennsylvania

I recently bought a small bush tree and it produced this lovely purple flower with a small yellow center. Can anyone recognize it and tell me what it's called?

By lahib

Answers

Best Answer

Try Solanum rantonnetii. Not a vine and it has the same leaves as your plant.

This is a plant at work and I was wondering what it is. It has purple stems at the base.

Does anyone know what kind of flower this is? I was told it is an annual, but more grew this year without me planting any seeds. Thanks for any help I can get.

By Carol Hanna from Ontario, Canada

Does anyone know the variety of this dogwood? It was said to be a western dogwood. It is not. The closest I have come while researching is the Ivory Halo dogwood, but its leaf margins are almost pure white, not a very deep cream as the picture shows. Maybe someone has this tree?

I planted some parsley in this pot, but what is growing doesn't look like parsley to me. Most of it looks like grass, with maybe a few tomato plants? And most likely weeds. Anyone know what these plants are? I'd hate to pull them up only to find out that they are plants and not weeds! I did have tomatoes in this pot last year.

Misty from Wooster, OH

What kind of fruit tree is this? Or if it isn't a fruit tree, then what is it?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

Sherri from Orlando Florida

Load More