What is this Plant? Bee Balm

It is not uncommon for volunteer plants to come up in your garden, leaving you baffled as to what they are. Identifying them is sometimes difficult. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" (bee balm).

What is this plant? My mom has this growing out by her driveway. We don't know where it came from. She had thrown a packet of zinnia seeds out along the drive and they came up beautifully.

This plant must have been mixed in with them. We like how the stem comes out from the middle of the flower up to the next flower then out the middle again. Right now it stands 4 to 4-1/2 feet tall. Bees and butterflies love it.

By Linda from E. TN

Answers

Best Answer

Your plant is called Bee Balm. It is an herb. It is highly attractive to bees, butterflies and hummingbirds.

Be careful though, it spreads voraciously. It is a perennial and will return each spring. It is truly a beautiful plant to have in the garden.

It looks to me as a pincushion plant. Do a search on the internet for that and see what you think.

Thank you and I did look but I didn't find any like this one. It appears that this has at least three flowers on the same stem.

It's a little hard to tell from the picture above. I'm adding a second picture to see if it shows more clearly how the stem comes out of the middle of one flower and up to the next flower then out it's middle up to the next.

I'll be back over to see it this evening so maybe I can get a better picture.

I think you are right. I always thought they only were red.