Identifying a Houseplant

Many of us have picked up a houseplant at the store that was not labeled or have been given one as a gift. However, knowing what type of plant you have will help you ensure that you are giving it the best care. This is a page about identifying a houseplant.

"What is This Plant?" Questions

Ask a QuestionHere are the "What is This Plant?" Questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

This plant belongs to a friend of mine and she is having trouble finding out what it is. It is thriving very well, but she just doesn't know what it is called.

Plant with large dark green leaves with white spots.

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? 6

Could you please tell me what this plant is?

Tall narrow plant with multiple long leaves per branch.

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? 4

I was given this plant as a gift, but have no idea what species it is. I also don't know how best to look after it. I would be grateful for any pointers!

Identifying a Houseplant - succulent that appears to be a jade plant

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I am trying to find out what this plant is.

large potted plant with dark green deeply cut leaves

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Can anyone out there identify this house plant? The guy I bought it from did not know what it is. He just said it requires only low light and he has not watered it in 6 months.Thanks so much.

Multistemed plant with bulbous base on stem. Has ovoid leaves aligned in pairs.

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

I've tried looking up this plant by description with no luck. I'm trying to identify the type so that I know how to care for it. I need help badly for it's a family heirloom of sorts.

What Is This Houseplant? grassy looking plant with multiple stalks

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

I bought this at Walmart and over the last few months I have nursed it back. Now it has flowered. It is beautiful! What is it? Lol

amaryllis flower

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I was given this plant and I have no idea what kind it is.

What Is This Houseplant?

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

After my beloved mamaw's funeral, my parents gave me several of the large sympathy arrangements and baskets of blooming plants. Nothing was labeled, besides 'blooming plants' on a tag under the basket, and there were several small pots in the basket with blooms.

What Are These Houseplants?

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Can anyone help me identify this plant? I have had it a few years now. Someone has asked me for a piece of it and I am not sure how to divide it or start a cutting.

Identifying a Houseplant - draping plant with long thin leafless growth

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I really liked this small plant from IKEA, so I decided to buy it. However, I've searched everywhere and I still can't identify its type.

Its leaves are not smooth; they feel almost like paper, its branches are a little fuzzy, and it's average in size.

Identifying a Houseplant - small pant with dark green leaves heavily veined with white

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I got this as a gift about a month ago and still can't figure out what it is. It's been growing a little more since, but now some of the leaves and branches are kind of yellow and it's not standing upright like it used to.

Identifying a Houseplant - succulent with small nubby leaves

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I am taking care of a this plant for a friend. Neither of us know what type of plant it is. It has a reddish "fuzz" on the leaves and has recently started growing small purple flowers (not often, however).

Identifying A Houseplant - plant with variegated leaves and tiny flowers

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Is this plant harmful in my home? We found it and I like it. It needs tlc, I just don't know how to care for it or what it even is. Someone told me they thought it was poisonous?

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I received this plant as a gift a few months back and I love it. But I don't know what it is called or proper care instructions for it.

If I can get the name of it, I should be able to find the rest of the info I need.

trailing houseplant with thickish stems and medium sizes green leaves

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I am reposting this again because I still can't find out what the name of this hanging plant is. I am pretty sure I purchased it at Home Depot or Lowe's here in Portland. The stems are long and very sturdy. It has flowered twice and each time with just one flower.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I received this plant at my mother's funeral and I do not know what it is. Any help would be appreciated so I can learn how to care for it.

Identifying a Houseplant - plant with shiny green leaves and many small white flowers

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I got this plant at a yard sale a year ago and the owner didn't know what kind of plant it was. What's the name of this plant?

Identifying a Houseplant - plant with green and purplish brown leaves with extreme texture

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I am having a hard time identifying this plant. Very fast growing vine plant with 1.5" long leaves spaced about 2" apart along the length of the vine. I originally clipped a small stem from an existing plant and planted my own.

Within 8 months it has grown 4 separate vines each measuring 2.5 feet or greater.

I bought this plant about a week ago and I was trying to look up info on it. However the name on the side is not bringing up correct results. Anyone know?

What Is This Houseplant? - notched leaf plant

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know what this plant is called? It's a creeping vine type plant with light green & white variegated, almond-shaped leaves. It was thriving last year, but since my cat turfed it on the floor and I had to re-pot and move it, it's been struggling (thus the yellower colour to some of the leaves).

Identifying a Houseplant - vining plant with pretty light and medium green and white leaves

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Can anyone tell this plant or flower's name? It was brought to me as a gift. It has a thick trunk.

Plant with green leaves and red flower.

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I got this house plant from a garden centre. It had a label with the species on it, but they took it off at the checkout. I would really like to know what type of plant it is :)

What Is This Houseplant? - dark green flat leaves at the top of narrow roundish stems

Answer Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantAugust 4, 2013
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-08 15:08:19 in 39 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️