Identifying a Houseplant

Many of us have picked up a houseplant at the store that was not labeled or have been given one as a gift. However, knowing what type of plant you have will help you ensure that you are giving it the best care. This is a guide about identifying a houseplant.

"What is This Plant?" Questions

Ask a QuestionHere are the "What is This Plant?" Questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

I was given this plant as a gift, but have no idea what species it is. I also don't know how best to look after it. I would be grateful for any pointers!

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This plant belongs to a friend of mine and she is having trouble finding out what it is. It is thriving very well, but she just doesn't know what it is called.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I bought this at Walmart and over the last few months I have nursed it back. Now it has flowered. It is beautiful! What is it? Lol

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I've tried looking up this plant by description with no luck. I'm trying to identify the type so that I know how to care for it. I need help badly for it's a family heirloom of sorts.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? 1

After my beloved mamaw's funeral, my parents gave me several of the large sympathy arrangements and baskets of blooming plants. Nothing was labeled, besides 'blooming plants' on a tag under the basket, and there were several small pots in the basket with blooms.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I am trying to find out what this plant is.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Is this plant harmful in my home? We found it and I like it. It needs tlc, I just don't know how to care for it or what it even is. Someone told me they thought it was poisonous?

I am having a hard time identifying this plant. Very fast growing vine plant with 1.5" long leaves spaced about 2" apart along the length of the vine. I originally clipped a small stem from an existing plant and planted my own. Within 8 months it has grown 4 separate vines each measuring 2.5 feet or greater.

I am taking care of a this plant for a friend. Neither of us know what type of plant it is. It has a reddish "fuzz" on the leaves and has recently started growing small purple flowers (not often, however).

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I received this plant as a gift a few months back and I love it. But I don't know what it is called or proper care instructions for it. If I can get the name of it, I should be able to find the rest of the info I need.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I am reposting this again because I still can't find out what the name of this hanging plant is. I am pretty sure I purchased it at Home Depot or Lowe's here in Portland. The stems are long and very sturdy. It has flowered twice and each time with just one flower.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Could you please tell me what this plant is?

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Can anyone tell this plant or flower's name? It was brought to me as a gift. It has a thick trunk.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Can anyone out there identify this house plant? The guy I bought it from did not know what it is. He just said it requires only low light and he has not watered it in 6 months.Thanks so much.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? 1

What is this shrub? I would like to know what it is called and what are the requirements for light, water, etc.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

About a year ago my grandmother gave me a couple clones of a vine plant she had. It quickly shot out more vines and is now growing up my kitchen window. Her plant didn't fair well and died. She can't remember what exactly it is called and I was curious. Sorry the photos may be hard to make out, lots of sun.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I wonder if somebody can tell me what kind of plant I have? I have two pics of the stems and leaves.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I found this on the side of the road. I have no idea what kind of plant it is. Possibly a money tree? Seriously I have no idea.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

We received this houseplant from a funeral, but none of us are sure what it is. The stems and undersides of the leaves are purple and fuzzy. It is also quite large - about waist high in its pot.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I purchased this plant from a nursery. The gardener said it's an evergreen, non-flowering, house plant. I couldn't identify it by searching online.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I was given this plant. She doesn't know what it is and neither do I. Can anyone identify it?

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I received a plant and I am unsure of what it is. It has dark pink stems and the veins through the leaves are pink. The leaves are mostly light green with hints of the dark pink. Some of the leaves have dark pink on them, but it doesn't look like a polka dot plant. Maybe a corelus? Thank you

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

My client has one in her house and is unable to remember what the name is or how to care for it. Could you guys be of any help?

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? 1

I received this plant 4 months ago, and the tips of the leaves are turning brown. I thought it was over watered so I stopped watering it and it still is losing the ends of the leaves.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I don't know the name of this plant. I asked someone at a nursery and she thought it was Schefflera but then said "no, someone else told me it was called a Grapefruit Plant". But no one so far has given me a definitive answer.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I am wondering what kind of plant this is. Apparently a long stem grows on it with the flower on top.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I just inherited this cute plant from my fiance's roommate and have no idea what kind it is. I have two kittens so only cat -friendly plants allowed.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I bought this at a supermarket and it didn't have the name of the plant. I suspect it is a philodendron, but I can't find any images on the web that have these particular leaves. I would appreciate any advice.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I rescued this plant. I think it is a Dracaena, perhaps a corn plant? Information on its identity and care would be appreciated.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Can anyone tell me what plant this is? I got it as a gift and want to know how to care for it.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

It has tiny pinkish flowers on tendrils that turn into berries. Can you identify it so I can research how to care for it?

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I bought this from a supermarket. It had bright orange flowers. It needs watering about twice a week, otherwise the leaves droop right down. How can I get it to cheer up and flower?

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know what I have here? I want to know how to treat it better.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I was given this plant and I have no idea what kind it is.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

We cut a small branch from a friend's and potted this plant more than 10 years ago. It keeps growing, but it never has flowers. It is supposed to have clusters of tiny flowers that are supposed to have a very strong smell. It does have a cluster of brown flower buds as shown in photos.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More