Identifying a Houseplant

Many of us have picked up a houseplant at the store that was not labeled or have been given one as a gift. However, knowing what type of plant you have will help you ensure that you are giving it the best care. This is a guide about identifying a houseplant.

Africa spear (Sansevieria cylindrica) is a succulent from Angola with smooth round leaves that are grey green in color. If grown in a location with enough light they can produce a three foot spikelike raceme with white flowers. This is a guide about, "What is this houseplant?" Sansevieria cylindrica.

Sansevieria cylindrica with colorful tips.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Tradescantia zebrine is a perennial, native to southern Mexico and other Central American countries. It is typically sold and grown as a trailing houseplant in cooler climates. This is a guide about the houseplant Wandering Jew (Tradescantia Zebrine).

What Is This Houseplant? - looks like Wandering Jew

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I was given this plant as a gift, but have no idea what species it is. I also don't know how best to look after it. I would be grateful for any pointers!

Answers

Best Answer

This is a type of succulent called a Jade plant. Can thrive in poor soil, doesn't require alot of water. Very easy to grow and take care of. Water once a week. Enjoy!

Best Answer

It's definitely a jade plant. If you pick off leaves lower, you can form it into a tree. If you pinch off the branches, it will grow into two more, allowing you to form a tree even more. But keep in mind, it grows relatively slowly. I have had some of my jades for years.

Any leaves or branches you remove will easily grow into a new plant. They are remarkably hearty and need very little water. I have found plant starts that were dried out behind my couch that were still able to green up and grow. A fun and rewarding plant.

This plant belongs to a friend of mine and she is having trouble finding out what it is. It is thriving very well, but she just doesn't know what it is called.

By W. David

Answers

Anonymous

Angel wing begonia.

I bought this at Walmart and over the last few months I have nursed it back. Now it has flowered. It is beautiful! What is it? Lol

I've tried looking up this plant by description with no luck. I'm trying to identify the type so that I know how to care for it. I need help badly for it's a family heirloom of sorts.

Is this plant harmful in my home? We found it and I like it. It needs tlc, I just don't know how to care for it or what it even is. Someone told me they thought it was poisonous?

Answers

Best Answer

It is Orchid, potting in bark or osmunda fiber. Water only when the bark/fiber almost totally dried up. Orchids have hundreds varieties, beautiful colors and shapes.

Best Answer

I agree it is an orchidea and I am quite sure it is a phalaenopsis. It is one of the easy to grow Orchidea but QUICK ! take it out of the water or it will die ! You will find all the info to take care of it here. http://www.aos.  ault.aspx?id=217

After my beloved mamaw's funeral, my parents gave me several of the large sympathy arrangements and baskets of blooming plants. Nothing was labeled, besides 'blooming plants' on a tag under the basket, and there were several small pots in the basket with blooms.

I recognized the peace Lilies, cyclamen, and a palm but don't recognize two of the others. One has tiny bunches of pink flowers and really thick rubbery green leaves that almost feel like sedum leaves, like frog belly sedum. The other has small white/cream flowers with petals that sparkle in the light, it also has green, kind of thick leaves. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a name for them, so I can give them proper care. Thanks in advance! I did look on the florist's website to no avail.

I am having a hard time identifying this plant. Very fast growing vine plant with 1.5" long leaves spaced about 2" apart along the length of the vine. I originally clipped a small stem from an existing plant and planted my own. Within 8 months it has grown 4 separate vines each measuring 2.5 feet or greater.

Thanks for any information.

Answers

Best Answer

One of my friends is a Master Gardener and she believes the other posters are correct in that it appears to be green wandering jew plant.
Here are her "thoughts" from one of her study books:

Tradescantia fluminensis
Common Names: green wandering Jew, small leaf spiderwort, white-flowered wandering Jew, inch plant, speedy Jenny

Usually considered an invasive species but makes a great ground cover and a nice hanging basket plant.

Loves most of Florida's weather but I forgot to ask about other weather zones -

I am reposting this again because I still can't find out what the name of this hanging plant is. I am pretty sure I purchased it at Home Depot or Lowe's here in Portland. The stems are long and very sturdy. It has flowered twice and each time with just one flower. Some people are suggesting it is from the honeysuckle family. Please help.

By Susan from Happy Valley (Portland), Oregon

I received this plant as a gift a few months back and I love it. But I don't know what it is called or proper care instructions for it. If I can get the name of it, I should be able to find the rest of the info I need. Thanks in advance :)

Answers

Best Answer

It appears to be a jade plant which is a succulent

I am trying to find out what this plant is.

Answers

Best Answer

I agree it is a Philodendron Selloum, it is easy to grow and it does become very large, what is nice is that it lives many years. Be careful with cats it is toxic.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Yes :) split-leaf Philodendron

Can anyone tell this plant or flower's name? It was brought to me as a gift. It has a thick trunk.

By lahib

Answers

Best Answer

The plant looks like a Desert Rose.

Best Answer

Hi your first answer (desert rose) is the correct one as I searched later on google and saw images exactly like the one I have. Thanks so much.

Could you please tell me what this plant is?

Answers

Best Answer

It is beautiful, and I agree it is a heptaleurum brassaia. It grows up straight up because it is, in fact, a tree. In its native country (Australia) it can be 30 meters high. You can prune it to give it a more bushy shape.

I purchased this plant from a nursery. The gardener said it's an evergreen, non-flowering, house plant. I couldn't identify it by searching online. Please help!

Answers

Best Answer

Thanks Erikd923! You identified it right. I've already searched a lot about it and finally identified it as Polyscias fruticosa Parsley". Hope I've identified it right. Thanks a lot! Have a good day!

About a year ago my grandmother gave me a couple clones of a vine plant she had. It quickly shot out more vines and is now growing up my kitchen window. Her plant didn't fair well and died. She can't remember what exactly it is called and I was curious. Sorry the photos may be hard to make out, lots of sun.

I received a plant and I am unsure of what it is. It has dark pink stems and the veins through the leaves are pink. The leaves are mostly light green with hints of the dark pink. Some of the leaves have dark pink on them, but it doesn't look like a polka dot plant. Maybe a corelus? Thank you

Answers

Best Answer

I think it is an Iresine Herbstii but that it is not getting enough light. Compare here : http://www.colo  esine_Herbstii-m

What is this shrub? I would like to know what it is called and what are the requirements for light, water, etc.

By Lahib A.

Answers

Best Answer

You appear to have a pink polka dot plant. Here is a link to caring for the polka dot plant. http://www.guid  a-dot-plant.html

I wonder if somebody can tell me what kind of plant I have? I have two pics of the stems and leaves. The leaves, I am told, look like a Chinese evergreen, but the stems are segmented. All of the pics I found of Chinese evergreens don't have segmented stems like mine does. Thank you.

By Peggy L.

I found this on the side of the road. I have no idea what kind of plant it is. Possibly a money tree? Seriously I have no idea. Would love your input. Thank you!

I was given this plant. She doesn't know what it is and neither do I. Can anyone identify it? Thanks.

My client has one in her house and is unable to remember what the name is or how to care for it. Could you guys be of any help? Please and thanks :)

Can anyone out there identify this house plant? The guy I bought it from did not know what it is. He just said it requires only low light and he has not watered it in 6 months.
Thanks so much.

By Lori

I received this plant 4 months ago, and the tips of the leaves are turning brown. I thought it was over watered so I stopped watering it and it still is losing the ends of the leaves. I am not sure what kind of plant this is, it has a cane type base. Thanks for everyones help.

Laverne from Omak, WA

I don't know the name of this plant. I asked someone at a nursery and she thought it was Schefflera but then said "no, someone else told me it was called a Grapefruit Plant". But no one so far has given me a definitive answer.

I fell in love with it when it was about to be thrown away during an office furniture giveaway my company sponsored. It had a sign attached to its pot that said TRASH. I called my VP and asked if I could bring it back with me to HQ and she said "yes" sight unseen. It had to be cut back and I was able to root nearly half of the cuttings to make new plants. Please let me know what the name of this plant is. Thanks.

By Cheryl from Washington, DC

I am wondering what kind of plant this is. Apparently a long stem grows on it with the flower on top.

We received this houseplant from a funeral, but none of us are sure what it is. The stems and undersides of the leaves are purple and fuzzy. It is also quite large - about waist high in its pot.

I want to care for it properly. Anyone have any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

Hello ! It is a calathea, possibly it is a calathea rufibarba.
No direct sun, warmth and moist. You can check the cares for calathea in general, they all need the same conditions and cares.

I just inherited this cute plant from my fiance's roommate and have no idea what kind it is. I have two kittens so only cat -friendly plants allowed.

Answers

Best Answer

Looks like a Marble Queen Pothos. If it is, it is mildly toxic to both cats and dogs. The stems contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause mouth irritation (drooling, loss of appetite) However, it's not deadly (looking at you, Sago Palm)
You can prevent the kitties from munching on it by hanging it up (which is what it prefers; see pic) Just make sure to keep any hanging vines out of reach.

I rescued this plant. I think it is a Dracaena, perhaps a corn plant? Information on its identity and care would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Can anyone tell me what plant this is? I got it as a gift and want to know how to care for it.

I bought this at a supermarket and it didn't have the name of the plant. I suspect it is a philodendron, but I can't find any images on the web that have these particular leaves. I would appreciate any advice.

It has tiny pinkish flowers on tendrils that turn into berries. Can you identify it so I can research how to care for it?
Thank you!

I bought this from a supermarket. It had bright orange flowers. It needs watering about twice a week, otherwise the leaves droop right down. How can I get it to cheer up - and flower?

Does anyone know what I have here? I want to know how to treat it better.

We cut a small branch from a friend's and potted this plant more than 10 years ago. It keeps growing, but it never has flowers. It is supposed to have clusters of tiny flowers that are supposed to have a very strong smell. It does have a cluster of brown flower buds as shown in photos, but they do not turn into flowers.

Some called it "diamond flowers plant". It needs sticks to support it upright, or it falls down. It does not have a thick stem to support the whole plant, has only thin branches. A web site look up does not match the image. What is the proper name for this plant? Thanks.

I got a new potted planter at Lowe's and it has an orchid and another plant in it. It also has a very small plant in it that I can't seem to find on the web. The little plant in the center of the photo is the one I have no idea of what kind of plant it is. Should I seperate the three plants as well? There is no drainage hole in the bottom of the flower pot. Please help.

A friend and neighbor who has since passed away gave me a start from her plant years ago. It wasn't doing very well in the last year, but is making a comeback! Can you tell me what type of plant it is so I can find out how to better care for it?

This plant was my mom's. I think it is happy in it's new home. Can you tell me what the name of the plant is? It kind of freaked out when I repotted it so maybe if I knew what it was I could help it some. Thank you!

I am looking for the name of this houseplant. See photo. I am searching to find out why it only flowers every 3 or 4 years.

By Luc from Ottawa, Canada

I've received this pineapple plant one year ago. It's growing a new pineapple plant from all of it's eyes, and on the top side growing another small pineapple. Until now I still don't know what the name is of this kind of plant. I just called it a unique "Pineapple" Plant. Maybe you can help me to find out what the real name is for this plant.

Hardiness Zone: 11

Eddy from Surabaya, Indonesia

Recently I bought this plant. There was no name tag on it and I don't have an idea of its requirements. Can anyone can identify it please?

This plant came in a terrarium. It has dwindled to just these few leaves and I'm not sure what to do for it. I repotted it in new pot and soil, but don't know what it is so I can't figure out what it needs. I was thinking maybe a fern of some sort? Any ideas? Thanks!

I am desperately seeking help to figure out what these plants are so I know how best to care for them. My great grandmother just passed away this winter and as the relatives were clearing out the house they were about to toss these. Although I have the opposite of a green thumb I wanted to save them and take them home because I know she enjoyed caring for them and she put work into them. I couldn't just see them get tossed in the trash. These are much much more than just a few house plants to me, they have a special meaning and if anyone could help me identify them I would be more grateful than any one could imagine! Thank you in advance (hopefully).

I have had no use with online searches trying to figure out with kind of plant this is. It is about a foot in height and the spikes are very firm, almost rock hard I would say. Also I am not sure if they are all one plant or five grown together. If you could give me any clue that would be wonderful!

Thank you!

Load More