What Is This Houseplant?

I bought this at Walmart and over the last few months I have nursed it back. Now it has flowered. It is beautiful! What is it? Lol

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

It looks like a lilly what type I am not sure.

This flower is called an amaryllis. It can be purchased in most gardening sections, especially this time of year. It is a large bulb that comes in a kit box, bulb, soil and pot.

Anonymous

A bulb, Amaryllis, likely.

Looks like.Amaryllis

It is an amaryllis.

It's an amaryllis; we have them growing in four different feed tubs! You'll be able to divide the bulbs eventually for more plants.

Isn't it a red Lilly?

It is an amaryllis.

It is an Amaryllis and if you google Amaryllis Minerva, I think you will see your flower. Not absolutely sure, as I haven't grown Amaryllis in a while

PS

If you don't think it's Minerva, google Apple Blossom. I do think its one or the other.

It is definitely an Amaryllis. I only say so because my best friend is a master gardener and she has stamped it so. ;)

Definitely an Amaryllis and I think it's Apple Blossom. Here are some tips about aftercare. Your bulb will continue to grow and have more flower stems if you feed and water it in the right way, and give it the temperature it needs.

http://www.mira  aclegro/28000057

It is an amaryllis. I have one now that will blossom in about a week. Keep it after blossoming, as it will produce more later. Keep the soil damp and place in a window in bright, indirect light. In spring you may transfer to your outside garden. I live in WI so cannot put outside till late spring.

Anonymous

Looks like an Amaryllis to me.

You have many answers and I do believe they are all right. It is an amaryllis and they are sold at this time of year at Walmart and many garden centers.

The blooms last a long time. It is nice that you are going to enjoy yours again. Merry Christmas to you.

I have just purchased several as Walmart had them greatly reduced and I love this flower. i always grow my bulbs indoors until winter is over.

Last year I found a web site with this information and it worked well for me this past year. Maybe it will be helpful for you:

Amaryllis can be encouraged to blossom again the following year.
It takes a little planning and extra care, but is quite simple and very rewarding. After the flowers have faded, cut the flower stalk to within 1" of the top of the bulb. Continue to water and feed the plant regularly with a liquid houseplant fertilizer.

Amaryllis will grow a number of leaves during the spring and summer. This will help the plant produce energy for the following year's bloom. In mid-August, begin withholding water and let the foliage die back naturally as the pot dries out completely.
Store the dormant bulb in a cool, dark and dry place for a minimum of eight weeks. About five to eight weeks before you want the amaryllis to flower again, (optional - repot the bulb in fresh potting soil) and resume watering  sparingly at first.
Once you see new growth, increase watering.

You can expect another dramatic floral display within five to eight weeks. By following these basic care guidelines, you will be able to encourage your amaryllis to flower year after year.

Here is a good web site that has lots of Amaryllis information:

https://www.whi  -amaryllis-bulbs

Planting times vary but this is my info (Florida):

Gardeners in areas where temperatures do not go below 10°F (Zones 810) can plant Amaryllis bulbs directly in the ground.

This is the only info I could obtain for general planting times:

Amaryllis are super easy to keep. Sometimes I have forgotten to water mine for months. They have been in the same soil for years without any fertiliser and they still produce flowers and good strong leaves.

After a while they will also produce "babies" in the form of new bulbs growing around the mother bulb. These can be pulled off and planted separately

It is an Amaryllis. They are usually sold about this time of the year (around Christmastime). They are beautiful when they blossom. I have stored mine in the basement after the bloom dies off and was pleasantly surprised the next year that it would blossom again. A fun gift to give and receive.

It's an Amaryllis for sure. And yes, they can be successfully kept and will continue to bloom year after year. ENJOY!

Thank you all so much for answering my question about my little flowered plant. Since I first posted it, it has now sprouted three beautiful flowers!

I have one that blooms every year. It should have come with instructions on how to keep it from year to year

Anonymous

This looks like an Amaryllis.

Anonymous

It's an amaryllis, blooms supposedly near Xmas. Mine blooms whenever it wants to!

Anonymous

It's an amaryllis

Looks like an amaryllis.

Amaryllis.

This is an Amaryllis. It's a bulb-type flower sort of like a tulip, but they typically flower during Christmas. They also come in white and red varieties.