What is This Plant? Trout Lily (Erythronium americium)

The trout lily, a perennial native of the eastern North American woodlands, is known for its pretty yellow flower, colony growth habit, and gray-green mottled leaves. This is a guide about, "What is this plant?" Trout lily (Erythronium americium).

I've been trying to identify this plant for over a year and I still haven't found it. It looks like a miniature tiger lily with green leaves mottled with purple-brown. It grows wild here in the Sault, but I'm not sure if it's a wildflower or some kind of hybrid that escaped captivity. Any ideas?

By Angela Lantain from Sault Ste Marie, ON

Best Answer

Looks like a trout lily. We have them all through our woods.

I think you guessed it right,you can see a picture of the miniature tiger lily by searching for it, good luck.

The common name is snake flower. I don't know the Latin name.

It is in the lily family. One entry above is right. It is sometimes called a trout lily. My mom always called the Adder's tongues and I only have seen the yellow ones. They come in white too. See:

Ad It has photos of them:) Harriet