What's the difference between baking soda and washi

I'd like to know what the difference between Arm & Hammer baking soda and washing soda is? I have looked everywhere for washing soda and have had no luck finding it. Is baking soda close to the same thing? will it work in recipes for laundry detergent?

Chas from WV

Answers:

What's the difference between baking soda and washing soda?

Washing soda is sodium carbonate. DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. It is also a skin and eye irritant. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and is safe for human consumption. Washing soda can also be found in the pool department of Wal-Mart (or any pool supply outlet) under the name "pH Plus". 5 lbs. is $6-7. This is what I use for laundry since no stores in my area carry "washing soda".

By Seagrape

I am not sure of the difference but was on the hunt a few weeks ago for washing soda by Arm and Hammer. I needed it for a jewelery cleaner that I had bought. I also looked everywhere and found it at a local grocery store. The chain is called "Kroger"...not sure if it is in your area. It is fairly cheap (approx 3.00) and I used the extra in my washing machine as a presoak. Hope this helps.

By daroyal

There is a difference. Arm and Hammer has an 800 number with a "product locator" for the washing soda, which is little tricky to find. I use it to make a homemade, very concentrated dry laundry detergent.

I found washing soda at a local Reasor's grocery store (I'm in Tulsa, OK) I was having a very hard time finding it as well, but found that they do carry it. The local Albertson's also told me they would order it for me if I wanted. There is a real difference, even though they come in the same "Arm and Hammer" box. Be careful, it is caustic and can burn your eyes. I use it for everything, go online to the arm and hammer website, I think you'll be amazed! Happy hunting... btw, I have substituted baking soda for a couple of dry laundry mixes I have made, one was a box of Tide, two 1-pound boxes of baking soda and a box of salt... really stretches your laundry, softens the water, and the baking soda actually helps clean very well!

By Glenda

Red bowl full of baking soda
The Difference Between Baking Soda and Washing Soda
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Muffin and a Cupcake
Difference Between a Muffin and a Cupcake
🎉
🎄