Why Does My Dog Rub His Butt On The Carpet?

Why does my dog rub his butt on the carpet and the grass?

Sherry from Martinez, GA

Why does my dog rub his butt on the carpet?

My dog is always rubbing his butt on the ground. Does that mean he has worms?
Nope, not usually, that is an old Wive's tale. It usually means that the anal glands need to be emptied. Have your vet check the anal glands and show you how to relieve these glands every time you shampoo and the problem will probably never reoccur.

I found this on a dog web site I thought that it covered your question it may help if you contact your vet or maybe an animal hospital and ask the vet assistant they like to help. (08/01/2007)

By dpool from memphis

He probably has worms. If a dog swallows a flea that has the larvae he developes pin worms. You can see them at night. They are white and are around his anus. You will have to get worm medicine from your vet. (08/02/2007)

By Jackay

Since my dog goes to the groomer, I long ago learned that rubbing his bottom across the floor meant it was time to go to the groomer. My groomer always "expresses" the glands, as these anal pouches are called.

Not all groomers do this, so check to be sure it is included in the grooming. This is less costly than going to the vet, and you get a clean dog at the same time. (08/02/2007)

By the Oracle

Why Does My Dog Rub It's Butt On The Ground?
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Saving Money on Carpet, Installing Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume