Windshield Wiper Sprayers Not Working

Is it possible to fix the sprayers on windshield wipers? The pump works but they won't spray out right. They are the kind that are attached to the wipers.

Tori from Oshawa, Ontario, CA

Answers:

Windshield Wiper Sprayers Not Working

What I've found is that sometimes they are clogged in the sprayer, the place where it sprays out. Try taking a straight pin or needle and see if you can unclog the place where it is suppose to spray out. I've unclogged a lot of them that way. Also, see if you can disconnect the tube that connects to the wiper and see if the washer comes out when you run the pump. If it does, then the clog is in the last part. Work at it with a pin from the other side. Hope this helps and I've explained it well enough. If that doesn't work, add a little white vinegar to your reservoir and it will help descale the workings. It may help unclog over time.

Susan from ThriftyFun (01/06/2007)

By ThriftyFun

Windshield Wiper Sprayers Not Working

It is usually an inexpensive repair, the worst part is finding out where the loss of pressure happens. Other than what has been described, I have also found a leaking rubber hose before, replacing this fixed it.

One way to locate a leak, should this be the cause, is to fill the bottle with water and just RUN that pump for a good bit and start looking for leaks almost immediately. Of course it will leak due to water dribbling down the windshield so it's a bit hit and miss, but sooner or later you should find it.

Also I use black rubber vacuum tubing to fix it, just get the diameter right and it's way cheaper than the actual OEM hose, cut to size with scissors. (11/14/2007)

By 8307c4

Windshield Wiper Sprayers Not Working

Try using a "tiny" drill bit, slightly bigger than a needle and drill it out. I tried several methods, including; soaking in vinegar, spraying with brake-clean and blowing it out with a blowgun attached to my air compressor. I went to the dealer (Dodge ram) to order a new one, and they wanted nearly 40 bucks for a 2 cent part. I tried eBay as well and had no luck. That's when I tried the drill bit idea. It worked great! The spray is slightly different, but it cleans my windshield. This size of bit only usually is found in large kits. For "cheap" drill bits, try; harbor freight tools (google) Good luck! Steve (01/27/2008)

By scubasteve817

Windshield Wiper Sprayers Not Working

I had the same problem, and using the straight pin (needle) method I was finally able to solve it. If you decide to remove the sprayer, just be careful not to break the support that holds it in place (too late for me!). (05/19/2008)

By Manuel in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Windshield Wiper Sprayers Not Working

My motor was working but nothing was coming out. I blew out the lines, still nothing. I ordered a new motor and when I went to replace it, I found that the screen (filter) between the reservoir and motor was clogged with a gel like substance. I cleaned it and flushed out the reservoir with water and reassembled and everything was fine. I had not pulled out the screen because I did not want the 1/2 gallon of fluid to come out, which would have saved me a lot of work to begin with. (08/01/2008)

By Chris W.

My Windscreen Washer would not work. The wipers did. The pump sounded good...but no water coming through. I cleaned the jets and pipes...still nothing coming through. I read everything about the problem and followed to the letter..still no water coming through. It turned out to be the filter was clogged. In all my readings...watching videos etc no mention was made of a filter. Now it works..after the garage guy fixed it!!!.

Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Wiper Blades on White Background
Changing Windshield Wiper Blades
Windshield Wipers
Cleaning Windshield Wipers
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
🎄