Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit

Your zucchini plant is growing very well and even flowering, but not setting fruit. This is a guide about a zucchini plant not growing fruit.

June 17, 2015 Flag

My zucchini is growing lots of big bushy leaves and lots of blossoms, but none of those blossoms are growing into veggies. Why? I would welcome any advice.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fertilize the plants. There is probably something lacking in the soil. Add a tablespoon of Epsom salt in a gallon of water and water them. If you are actually seeing the blossoms, grab a cotton swab and gently swipe the center portion. Continue to each bloom. YOU will be pollinating them.

Good Luck!

Have they only been blooming a week or two?

Squash have both male and female flowers. You can easily see the difference. Not only are the centers of the flowers different, but the female flower has a baby squash at the base. But the male flowers always start blooming a week or two before the female flowers start blooming. If you're in that time frame, hang in there. Pretty soon you'll have plenty of zucchini.

April 8, 2015 Flag

I get only male flowers on the zucchini plant. It's been about two weeks so far. What should I do?

By Gene W

The female flowers arrive a week or so later than the male flowers.

December 17, 2014 Flag

I'm growing courgettes in green houses. The problem is that my production has stopped after a few weeks even though my plants are strong and have green large leaves. Bees are also working very well. I don't think there is poor pollination. Can you give some suggestions as to what may be the problem?

By baljeet

Try feeding dried blood

July 17, 2010 Flag

I have a few zucchini plants that are not producing fruit. They all look very healthy, big, tall, and keep extending their territories. All have lots of flowers, but the female flowers wilted before they bloom.

Is it seed problem? soil problem? The seeds were from last year's crop which yielded on average 5 or 6 good size fruits per plant. I use mostly cow manure and compost soil, supplementing with "Miracle Gro" 15-30-15.

There has been plenty of sunshine and they are well watered. Lately I added some cedar mulch to help retain the moisture. Yet nothing seemed to get the female flowers to bloom.

By Wing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you so much for your feedback. You were right about pollination issue as there could be no pollination if the female flowers wilted before blossoming. I read elsewhere that it may be the lack of calcium. So I added a different fertilizer with calcium and magnesium. I also put in lots of crushed egg shells and some lime powder to increase calcium content in the soil. After 2 or 3 weeks, 2 out of the 4 plants have produced fruits. The other 2 are still stubbornly infertile.

I'm having this problem now, and suspect pollination. How can I fix it? Can I put on my butterfly wings and use a toothpick and move pollen from one flower to the next, or does it need to be shared between 2 different plants? If the latter, is there a male and female plant? (sorry, I love gardening, but don't know much about how to garden.)

Thanks Becky Jaine Raleigh NC

August 1, 2011 Flag

I have several of zucchini plants this year and they are huge! My problem is that they bloom with flowers and then all of the sudden the flowers close up and then eventually fall off. I do not have any animals getting inside the garden and I have checked for any pests and there are none. I water ever other day usually as long as it's not extremely hot and in that case every day! Can you help me with any suggestions? I have managed to only grow one zucchini so far.

By Shelly

When I was living in AL I had the same problem. What I did was I took the bloom that had fallen off, and peeled back the petals. Then I rubbed the inside of the bloom gently on the other blooms that were open. It has to do with them not getting pollinated. Hope this helps.

Believe it or not, zucchini flowers are considered a treasure. For years, Italians have made zucchini flower fritters. Please let me know if you care to receive the recipe.

May 15, 2012 Flag

How do I know the difference between a male and a female zucchini and cucumber plant?

By Jaye L

There are three ways to determine which is which.

1. Stems - The male blossom has a long, slender stem, while the female blossom is on a short stem.

2. Blossom Attachpoint - Male blossoms have only a slender stalk directly attached to the stem. The female blossoms have a small bulbous area below the flower. This is actually the ovary which is an unfertilized zucchini.

3. Inside flower - Look inside the blooms. The male blossom has a stamen in the center of the flower. Female does not. The pollen on the stamen pollinates the female plant.

May 14, 2012 Flag

My zucchini plant will bloom, but I don't see where it is producing fruit. What should I do and is it too late?
Thanks.

By Linda

No. It's not too late, it's actually too soon. Now that the flowers are there the bees and butterflies will polinate them. Then the fruit will start to grow. Give it more time.

May 13, 2012 Flag

My zucchini plants look beautiful and have large green leaves. They were grown from seeds (which were planted 1-16-12). There are beautiful large blooms, but no zucchinis yet. What is the problem?

By BRT

You answered your own question with the word "yet". Just wait, the butterflies and bees will pollinate them, then they will show up. It's too soon.

June 6, 2011 Flag

Why do I not have zucchini squash even though there are lots of blossoms? When the blossoms fall off, a tall stem that looks as if the flower fell off is all that remains.

By Ann H

The first blossoms are the male blossoms. They don't produce fruit. Later, the female blossoms appear on the end of the fruit.

July 2, 2010 Flag

Why are all the flowers on my 4 courgette (zucchini) plants all male?

By Chris from Kent

The first flowers are always male; they are because the pollen will be waiting for the female flowers. Just wait a few days.

July 23, 2009 Flag

Zucchini flowers but no fruit comes.

By busy gardener from Marysville, WA

Zucchini plants have both female and male flowers, and bees usually do the pollination. However, some years, I remove a male flower that has opened and rub the pollen on the female flower just after it also has opened. This will give me fruit.

To understand the difference between a male and a female flower, look it up on the internet. A female flower has a swollen small zucchini behind it.

July 23, 2009 Flag

I planted zucchini this year. I have had many blossoms for about 2 months, but not one zucchini. Why? Pretty soon it will be too cold for the plants. Should I expect them or not and why/not?

Chirssy from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Zucchini Flowers But No Zucchini

All those flowers you got were male. It's probably too late this season, but next time, pinch off all of the flowers that don't have baby Zucchinis under them (male flowers are all stem, no fruit) and the plant will start making female flowers. Good luck next year. (09/04/2007)

By Beth - MA

Zucchini Flowers But No Zucchini

Sometimes you need to plant more than one plant to allow for pollination, but you also need to be sure that bees come around. Not sure how to help you out with the bee part. I typically do not use any kind of pesticides, because my younger daughter likes to go into the garden, pick and eat the super sweet 100's (small cherry tomatoes). (09/06/2007)

By MelissaVA

Zucchini Flowers But No Zucchini

Not positive, but how many bees are you seeing in your area? Bee hive collapse is a major problem to all of us right now. (09/06/2007)

By mcmillan968

Zucchini Flowers But No Zucchini

If you are getting blossoms and no fruit try taking a small stick or Q-tip and remove some of the pollen from one of the male flowers and place inside the female flower to help pollinate it.

(07/17/2008)

By Gina R.

Zucchini Flowers But No Zucchini

My mother in law loosened the soil around the roots and finally I see tiny Zucchini.
(09/02/2008)

By Jane

July 17, 2010 Flag

I have planted a zucchini and it has started producing a lot of male flowers (a month ago), but it hasn't produced a single female flower. What can I do to encourage my zucchini plant to produce female flowers, too?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Araz from Aleppo, Syria

July 14, 2009 Flag

I live in New Jersey and have a problem with Zucchini plants. The plants are huge and healthy and producing an enormous amount of flowers, but no Zucchini.

Home and Garden Gardening Growing VegetablesJanuary 17, 2013
Growing Zucchini Squash
Growing Zucchini Squash
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
🎄
🍂