Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit

Your zucchini plant is growing very well and even flowering, but not setting fruit. This is a guide about a zucchini plant not growing fruit.

Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 17, 2015 Flag

I have a 1 year old female cat who very recently started losing hair on her ears, back of head and neck, and down almost to her shoulder blades in some spots. It's pretty uniform across her ears and back of head and then when it gets lower it's just in spots. I thought it could be because I'd gotten a new collar, but I took it off and she's still losing hair. We did just get a new pet, but since we got her we've added 8 other pets and she's never had a reaction like this. No changes in behavior. The only significant change has been the addition of wet food to her and our other cat's dry food once a day. They split one of the small cans between the two of them. Since I started doing that she has gained some weight and it's been since then that she started losing the hair. Is it possible that she's having allergies to wet food that she didn't have to dry only?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, it is possible that she has allergies to the wet food. Stop feeding that for a while or switch kinds to see if it helps.

It could also be another problem like mites or mange.

This could still be stress related. Have you heard of the straw that broke the camel's back? Eight could just be one too many for your cat.

Ringworm & mange come to mind - maybe one of your other 'pets' introduced it to the household . Get the wee one to a vet to treat it - she deserves all the loving she can get. Don't neglect her due to the amount of other ' pets ' you have. Also ringworm can move onto humans & spread through the others.

Dinovite claims to help with this problem. It's on the Internet.

Read More Answers...

June 17, 2015 Flag

My zucchini is growing lots of big bushy leaves and lots of blossoms, but none of those blossoms are growing into veggies. Why? I would welcome any advice.

Fertilize the plants. There is probably something lacking in the soil. Add a tablespoon of Epsom salt in a gallon of water and water them. If you are actually seeing the blossoms, grab a cotton swab and gently swipe the center portion. Continue to each bloom. YOU will be pollinating them.

Good Luck!

Have they only been blooming a week or two?

Squash have both male and female flowers. You can easily see the difference. Not only are the centers of the flowers different, but the female flower has a baby squash at the base. But the male flowers always start blooming a week or two before the female flowers start blooming. If you're in that time frame, hang in there. Pretty soon you'll have plenty of zucchini.

April 8, 2015 Flag

I get only male flowers on the zucchini plant. It's been about two weeks so far. What should I do?

By Gene W

The female flowers arrive a week or so later than the male flowers.

December 17, 2014 Flag

I'm growing courgettes in green houses. The problem is that my production has stopped after a few weeks even though my plants are strong and have green large leaves. Bees are also working very well. I don't think there is poor pollination. Can you give some suggestions as to what may be the problem?

By baljeet

Try feeding dried blood

July 17, 2010 Flag

I have a few zucchini plants that are not producing fruit. They all look very healthy, big, tall, and keep extending their territories. All have lots of flowers, but the female flowers wilted before they bloom.

Is it seed problem? soil problem? The seeds were from last year's crop which yielded on average 5 or 6 good size fruits per plant. I use mostly cow manure and compost soil, supplementing with "Miracle Gro" 15-30-15.

There has been plenty of sunshine and they are well watered. Lately I added some cedar mulch to help retain the moisture. Yet nothing seemed to get the female flowers to bloom.

By Wing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you so much for your feedback. You were right about pollination issue as there could be no pollination if the female flowers wilted before blossoming. I read elsewhere that it may be the lack of calcium. So I added a different fertilizer with calcium and magnesium. I also put in lots of crushed egg shells and some lime powder to increase calcium content in the soil. After 2 or 3 weeks, 2 out of the 4 plants have produced fruits. The other 2 are still stubbornly infertile.

I'm having this problem now, and suspect pollination. How can I fix it? Can I put on my butterfly wings and use a toothpick and move pollen from one flower to the next, or does it need to be shared between 2 different plants? If the latter, is there a male and female plant? (sorry, I love gardening, but don't know much about how to garden.)

Thanks Becky Jaine Raleigh NC

Pollination should be your first consideration. We don't have enough bees anymore to do all the work; I go out first thing in the morning and look over my zukes and other squashes. Oftentimes, a single plant will produce both male and female flowers. Mostly male early on, but the female (fruiting) flowers should come on shortly.

I hand-pollinate by removing the male flower from the stalk, peeling back (every so gently so as to not disturb the pollen) the flower petal part (eat this, its subtle flavor is yummy!) and leaving just the base and the center. Then stop by one or two female flowers and pollinate them by hand. They should go on to produce fruit as long as they are getting enough water.

The flowers should be new that day; older flowers tend to be too far past prime.

Works for me in AZ most every time. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

August 1, 2011 Flag

I have several of zucchini plants this year and they are huge! My problem is that they bloom with flowers and then all of the sudden the flowers close up and then eventually fall off. I do not have any animals getting inside the garden and I have checked for any pests and there are none. I water ever other day usually as long as it's not extremely hot and in that case every day! Can you help me with any suggestions? I have managed to only grow one zucchini so far.

By Shelly

When I was living in AL I had the same problem. What I did was I took the bloom that had fallen off, and peeled back the petals. Then I rubbed the inside of the bloom gently on the other blooms that were open. It has to do with them not getting pollinated. Hope this helps.

Believe it or not, zucchini flowers are considered a treasure. For years, Italians have made zucchini flower fritters. Please let me know if you care to receive the recipe.

May 15, 2012 Flag

How do I know the difference between a male and a female zucchini and cucumber plant?

By Jaye L

There are three ways to determine which is which.

1. Stems - The male blossom has a long, slender stem, while the female blossom is on a short stem.

2. Blossom Attachpoint - Male blossoms have only a slender stalk directly attached to the stem. The female blossoms have a small bulbous area below the flower. This is actually the ovary which is an unfertilized zucchini.

3. Inside flower - Look inside the blooms. The male blossom has a stamen in the center of the flower. Female does not. The pollen on the stamen pollinates the female plant.

May 14, 2012 Flag

My zucchini plant will bloom, but I don't see where it is producing fruit. What should I do and is it too late?
      Thanks.

By Linda

No. It's not too late, it's actually too soon. Now that the flowers are there the bees and butterflies will polinate them. Then the fruit will start to grow. Give it more time.

May 13, 2012 Flag

My zucchini plants look beautiful and have large green leaves. They were grown from seeds (which were planted 1-16-12). There are beautiful large blooms, but no zucchinis yet. What is the problem?

By BRT

You answered your own question with the word "yet". Just wait, the butterflies and bees will pollinate them, then they will show up. It's too soon.

July 2, 2010 Flag

Why are all the flowers on my 4 courgette (zucchini) plants all male?

By Chris from Kent

The first flowers are always male; they are because the pollen will be waiting for the female flowers. Just wait a few days.

July 17, 2010 Flag

I have planted a zucchini and it has started producing a lot of male flowers (a month ago), but it hasn't produced a single female flower. What can I do to encourage my zucchini plant to produce female flowers, too?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Araz from Aleppo, Syria

July 14, 2009 Flag
      By Ellen Brown

Question:

I live in New Jersey and have a problem with Zucchini plants. The plants are huge and healthy and producing an enormous amount of flowers, but no Zucchini. The flowers fall off and no fruit is produced. I don't see any female flowers forming. What can I do to help the plants produce fruit. I have never experienced this problem before with the Zucchini plants. Please help.

Dennis G. from Saddle Brook, NJ

Answer:

Dennis,

If this is the first flush of flowers on your Zucchini plants, don't worry. What you're seeing is normal. Zucchini plants, like all members of the Cucurbitaceae family of vine crops (melons, cucumbers, squash, etc.) produce male and female flowers on the same plant. During the initial first flush of flower production, usually only one gender of flower (usually the male flowers are first) is produced for the first few weeks. These flowers naturally shed their pollen and drop off. After this initial flush of flowers, a second wave of flowers develops that will contain both male and female blooms. I'm not sure exactly why this is, but some scientists think it's nature's way of "luring" in the bees, sort of giving them time to catch up and discover the flowers. Successful pollination requires proper timing and this first flush of "bait" flowers may be the plant's way of making sure there are bees at the ready when both genders of flower emerge. If the female flowers on your plants (the flowers with the slight swelling below the back of their petals) continue to drop off once both types of flowers are being produced, it's an indicator of pollination problems (the female flowers will abort if not pollinated). Then you may need to consider hand pollinating your plants.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. <a href="post_request.ldml?email_subject=Gardening">Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Zucchini Plant Not Producing Fruit

This is a common problem with Zucchini. The flowers need to cross pollinate themselves for the fruit to grow and mature. Sometimes you may even notice the Zucchini growing and rotting at like 4 inches long. Bees are essential to cross pollinating and if there are none around or not enough, you can help the plants along. Take a Q-Tip and rub some of the pollen from one flower and then rub it into the next flower and so on. This will ensure proper pollination and should help produce plenty of Zucchini. (07/12/2006)

By jcs523

Zucchini Plant Not Producing Fruit

I don't think that everyone knows how important bees, the black bumblebee, wasps, and the wood bores are to pollinating fruit trees, vegetables and berries. Some of my neighbors use insecticides and other sprays for their lawns. These are so harmful to the pollinating creatures. My one neighbor had used weed killer on their lawn and we were finding dead robins. I called our local bird watching group and they said that the weed killer poisoned the worms and bugs, and the birds eat these, which kills the birds. Please, everyone, try and use environmentally safe products. (07/13/2006)

By Malinda/Pa

Home and Garden Gardening Growing VegetablesJanuary 17, 2013
      Zucchini Bread
      Freezing Zucchini Bread
      Chopped Zucchini
      Sweet Zucchini Pie Recipes
      Zucchini Bread Recipes
      Zucchini Bread Recipes
      Zucchini Salad Recipes
      Zucchini Salad Recipes
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 1:09:05 AM on 10.0.1.153 in 741 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.