Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit

Your zucchini plant is growing very well and even flowering, but not setting fruit. This is a guide about a zucchini plant not growing fruit.

Here are questions related to Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit.

Question: Identifying Male and Female Flowers on Zucchini and Cuke Plants

How do I know the difference between a male and a female zucchini and cucumber plant?

By Jaye L

Most Recent Answer

By BracyP09/16/2013

There are three ways to determine which is which.
1. Stems - The male blossom has a long, slender stem, while the female blossom is on a short stem.

2. Blossom Attachpoint - Male blossoms have only a slender stalk directly attached to the stem. The female blossoms have a small bulbous area below the flower. This is actually the ovary which is an unfertilized zucchini.

3. Inside flower - Look inside the blooms. The male blossom has a stamen in the center of the flower. Female does not. The pollen on the stamen pollinates the female plant.

Question: Zucchini Blooms but Does Not Set Fruit

My zucchini plant will bloom, but I don't see where it is producing fruit. What should I do and is it too late?
Thanks.

By Linda

Most Recent Answer

By JazzyMe05/19/2012

No. It's not too late, it's actually too soon. Now that the flowers are there the bees and butterflies will polinate them. Then the fruit will start to grow. Give it more time.

Question: Zucchini Not Setting Fruit

My zucchini plants look beautiful and have large green leaves. They were grown from seeds (which were planted 1-16-12). There are beautiful large blooms, but no zucchinis yet. What is the problem?

By BRT

Most Recent Answer

By JazzyMe05/19/2012

You answered your own question with the word "yet". Just wait, the butterflies and bees will pollinate them, then they will show up. It's too soon.

Question: Zucchini Blooming But Not Setting Fruit

I have several of zucchini plants this year and they are huge! My problem is that they bloom with flowers and then all of the sudden the flowers close up and then eventually fall off. I do not have any animals getting inside the garden and I have checked for any pests and there are none. I water ever other day usually as long as it's not extremely hot and in that case every day! Can you help me with any suggestions? I have managed to only grow one zucchini so far.

By Shelly

Most Recent Answer

By emily08/03/2011

Believe it or not, zucchini flowers are considered a treasure. For years, Italians have made zucchini flower fritters. Please let me know if you care to receive the recipe.

Question: Zucchini Plant Not Producing Fruit

I have a few zucchini plants that are not producing fruit. They all look very healthy, big, tall, and keep extending their territories. All have lots of flowers, but the female flowers wilted before they bloom.

Is it seed problem? soil problem? The seeds were from last year's crop which yielded on average 5 or 6 good size fruits per plant. I use mostly cow manure and compost soil, supplementing with "Miracle Gro" 15-30-15.

There has been plenty of sunshine and they are well watered. Lately I added some cedar mulch to help retain the moisture. Yet nothing seemed to get the female flowers to bloom.

By Wing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Most Recent Answer

By ladybanksia9908/02/2011

Pollination should be your first consideration. We don't have enough bees anymore to do all the work; I go out first thing in the morning and look over my zukes and other squashes. Oftentimes, a single plant will produce both male and female flowers. Mostly male early on, but the female (fruiting) flowers should come on shortly.

I hand-pollinate by removing the male flower from the stalk, peeling back (every so gently so as to not disturb the pollen) the flower petal part (eat this, its subtle flavor is yummy!) and leaving just the base and the center. Then stop by one or two female flowers and pollinate them by hand. They should go on to produce fruit as long as they are getting enough water.

The flowers should be new that day; older flowers tend to be too far past prime.

Works for me in AZ most every time. Good luck!

Question: Courgette (Zucchini) Flowers Are All Male

Why are all the flowers on my 4 courgette (zucchini) plants all male?

By Chris from Kent

Most Recent Answer

By denise07/02/2010

The first flowers are always male; they are because the pollen will be waiting for the female flowers. Just wait a few days.

Solutions: Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Zucchini Plant Not Producing Fruit

By Ellen Brown

Question:

I live in New Jersey and have a problem with Zucchini plants. The plants are huge and healthy and producing an enormous amount of flowers, but no Zucchini. The flowers fall off and no fruit is produced. I don't see any female flowers forming. What can I do to help the plants produce fruit. I have never experienced this problem before with the Zucchini plants. Please help.

Dennis G. from Saddle Brook, NJ

Answer:

Dennis,

If this is the first flush of flowers on your Zucchini plants, don't worry. What you're seeing is normal. Zucchini plants, like all members of the Cucurbitaceae family of vine crops (melons, cucumbers, squash, etc.) produce male and female flowers on the same plant. During the initial first flush of flower production, usually only one gender of flower (usually the male flowers are first) is produced for the first few weeks. These flowers naturally shed their pollen and drop off. After this initial flush of flowers, a second wave of flowers develops that will contain both male and female blooms. I'm not sure exactly why this is, but some scientists think it's nature's way of "luring" in the bees, sort of giving them time to catch up and discover the flowers. Successful pollination requires proper timing and this first flush of "bait" flowers may be the plant's way of making sure there are bees at the ready when both genders of flower emerge. If the female flowers on your plants (the flowers with the slight swelling below the back of their petals) continue to drop off once both types of flowers are being produced, it's an indicator of pollination problems (the female flowers will abort if not pollinated). Then you may need to consider hand pollinating your plants.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

RE: Zucchini Plant Not Producing Fruit

This is a common problem with Zucchini. The flowers need to cross pollinate themselves for the fruit to grow and mature. Sometimes you may even notice the Zucchini growing and rotting at like 4 inches long. Bees are essential to cross pollinating and if there are none around or not enough, you can help the plants along. Take a Q-Tip and rub some of the pollen from one flower and then rub it into the next flower and so on. This will ensure proper pollination and should help produce plenty of Zucchini. (07/12/2006)

By jcs523

RE: Zucchini Plant Not Producing Fruit

I don't think that everyone knows how important bees, the black bumblebee, wasps, and the wood bores are to pollinating fruit trees, vegetables and berries. Some of my neighbors use insecticides and other sprays for their lawns. These are so harmful to the pollinating creatures. My one neighbor had used weed killer on their lawn and we were finding dead robins. I called our local bird watching group and they said that the weed killer poisoned the worms and bugs, and the birds eat these, which kills the birds. Please, everyone, try and use environmentally safe products. (07/13/2006)

By Malinda/Pa

I have planted a zucchini and it has started producing a lot of male flowers (a month ago), but it hasn't produced a single female flower. What can I do to encourage my zucchini plant to produce female flowers, too?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Araz from Aleppo, Syria