Browsing: Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit

Your zucchini plant is growing very well and even flowering, but not setting fruit. This is a guide about a zucchini plant not growing fruit.

Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 17, 2015 Flag

My zucchini is growing lots of big bushy leaves and lots of blossoms, but none of those blossoms are growing into veggies. Why? I would welcome any advice.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fertilize the plants. There is probably something lacking in the soil. Add a tablespoon of Epsom salt in a gallon of water and water them. If you are actually seeing the blossoms, grab a cotton swab and gently swipe the center portion. Continue to each bloom. YOU will be pollinating them.

Good Luck!

Have they only been blooming a week or two?

Squash have both male and female flowers. You can easily see the difference. Not only are the centers of the flowers different, but the female flower has a baby squash at the base. But the male flowers always start blooming a week or two before the female flowers start blooming. If you're in that time frame, hang in there. Pretty soon you'll have plenty of zucchini.

April 8, 2015 Flag

I get only male flowers on the zucchini plant. It's been about two weeks so far. What should I do?

By Gene W

The female flowers arrive a week or so later than the male flowers.

December 17, 2014 Flag

I'm growing courgettes in green houses. The problem is that my production has stopped after a few weeks even though my plants are strong and have green large leaves. Bees are also working very well. I don't think there is poor pollination. Can you give some suggestions as to what may be the problem?

By baljeet

Try feeding dried blood

July 17, 2010 Flag

I have a few zucchini plants that are not producing fruit. They all look very healthy, big, tall, and keep extending their territories. All have lots of flowers, but the female flowers wilted before they bloom.

Is it seed problem? soil problem? The seeds were from last year's crop which yielded on average 5 or 6 good size fruits per plant. I use mostly cow manure and compost soil, supplementing with "Miracle Gro" 15-30-15.

There has been plenty of sunshine and they are well watered. Lately I added some cedar mulch to help retain the moisture. Yet nothing seemed to get the female flowers to bloom.

By Wing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm having this problem now, and suspect pollination. How can I fix it? Can I put on my butterfly wings and use a toothpick and move pollen from one flower to the next, or does it need to be shared between 2 different plants? If the latter, is there a male and female plant? (sorry, I love gardening, but don't know much about how to garden.)

Thanks Becky Jaine Raleigh NC

Pollination should be your first consideration. We don't have enough bees anymore to do all the work; I go out first thing in the morning and look over my zukes and other squashes. Oftentimes, a single plant will produce both male and female flowers. Mostly male early on, but the female (fruiting) flowers should come on shortly.

I hand-pollinate by removing the male flower from the stalk, peeling back (every so gently so as to not disturb the pollen) the flower petal part (eat this, its subtle flavor is yummy!) and leaving just the base and the center. Then stop by one or two female flowers and pollinate them by hand. They should go on to produce fruit as long as they are getting enough water.

The flowers should be new that day; older flowers tend to be too far past prime.

Works for me in AZ most every time. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

August 1, 2011 Flag

I have several of zucchini plants this year and they are huge! My problem is that they bloom with flowers and then all of the sudden the flowers close up and then eventually fall off. I do not have any animals getting inside the garden and I have checked for any pests and there are none. I water ever other day usually as long as it's not extremely hot and in that case every day! Can you help me with any suggestions? I have managed to only grow one zucchini so far.

By Shelly

When I was living in AL I had the same problem. What I did was I took the bloom that had fallen off, and peeled back the petals. Then I rubbed the inside of the bloom gently on the other blooms that were open. It has to do with them not getting pollinated. Hope this helps.

Believe it or not, zucchini flowers are considered a treasure. For years, Italians have made zucchini flower fritters. Please let me know if you care to receive the recipe.

May 15, 2012 Flag

How do I know the difference between a male and a female zucchini and cucumber plant?

By Jaye L

There are three ways to determine which is which.

1. Stems - The male blossom has a long, slender stem, while the female blossom is on a short stem.

2. Blossom Attachpoint - Male blossoms have only a slender stalk directly attached to the stem. The female blossoms have a small bulbous area below the flower. This is actually the ovary which is an unfertilized zucchini.

3. Inside flower - Look inside the blooms. The male blossom has a stamen in the center of the flower. Female does not. The pollen on the stamen pollinates the female plant.

May 14, 2012 Flag

My zucchini plant will bloom, but I don't see where it is producing fruit. What should I do and is it too late?
Thanks.

By Linda

No. It's not too late, it's actually too soon. Now that the flowers are there the bees and butterflies will polinate them. Then the fruit will start to grow. Give it more time.

May 13, 2012 Flag

My zucchini plants look beautiful and have large green leaves. They were grown from seeds (which were planted 1-16-12). There are beautiful large blooms, but no zucchinis yet. What is the problem?

By BRT

You answered your own question with the word "yet". Just wait, the butterflies and bees will pollinate them, then they will show up. It's too soon.

June 6, 2011 Flag

Why do I not have zucchini squash even though there are lots of blossoms? When the blossoms fall off, a tall stem that looks as if the flower fell off is all that remains.

By Ann H

The first blossoms are the male blossoms. They don't produce fruit. Later, the female blossoms appear on the end of the fruit.

July 2, 2010 Flag

Why are all the flowers on my 4 courgette (zucchini) plants all male?

Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Growing VegetablesJanuary 17, 2013
Growing Zucchini Squash
Growing Zucchini Squash
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 28, 2016 at 12:08:23 PM on 10.0.0.41 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.