Browsing: Email Etiquette

Removing Email Addresses from an Email

ThriftyFun.com Staff

I have a problem that maybe sounds stupid, but I need to know the answer. When I receive e-mail it has a whole list of names of people who also have been sent this by the sender. I want to send it on, but hate to have all that extra baggage with it. Also if I save it in a folder then I get too much in my folders. Can someone tell me what to do to delete all the extra names?

Mabel in MN

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

We had lots of responses to this one. It is a great question and it is important for everyone using email to learn how to send on messages without the names and email addresses of all the recipients being displayed. There are programs capable of dredging out email addresses. If you wonder how you get on some spam lists, it may be from someone getting your email address from something forwarded to you that you forward on and some unscrupulous spammer dredging your address.

Thanks also to Janet in MD, Amy, Lisa, Beth, Susan in IA, Mary, Lori, Julia, Connie, and Anne Marie for their similar answers.

Thanks for your request; I wish everyone would take an interest in deleting all those forwarded addresses.

There are two ways of doing this.

1. Practice on old messages. You can forward your changed message (see #2 below) to yourself then you can see how the forwarded message would be sent to your friends.

2. Move curser next to addresses you want to delete then left click and scroll down which highlights the addresses, then click delete key. This will remove the addresses.

3. When you receive an e-mail joke that is loaded with arrows and sentences are misaligned you can "clean it up" before sending it on. Move curser in front of arrows and click the delete key, then move curser to the next one, etc. Practice makes perfect. Send the "cleaned up" version to yourself, you can then forward the new version to your friends.

Hope this helps you.

Syd Barr, Dunkirk, MD

The way that I do it is when I hit forward to send it to someone I type in who I want to send this to in the BCC field (if sending it to more than 1 person you solve the extra baggage problem by putting everyone in the BCC field, BCC means blind carbon copy meaning the recipient stays anonymous) then in the text area I highlight everything that I want to "remove", hit delete and then you only have the text that you want to send.

If you are wanting to save to a file. Highlight the areas you want to save and click copy, then open your word program click new document and then paste. That way you have saved only the portion that you want to save and you don't have all the headers and the people that the email has already been sent to.

Tonya

Not only are all those names a nuisance, they can become DANGEROUS! We don't like to think about it, but there are predators 'en masse' on the internet. To remove them... hit your forward. Then with your text in the outgoing/writing box use your cursor to highlight the addresses...and hit your 'delete' key. With some servers, you have to be careful to leave some of the message (or addy's) in the text box or they will delete the entire thing and you'll have to start over.

MaryKaye

(Contained similar suggestions plus) Folders really are a nice way to keep similar emails together. For instance, I have a recipe folder, a genealogy folder for keeping emails with family info that I don't want to lose, a "cute story" folder, etc. They really do take up very little room on your computer. Pictures take up way more space than text messages.

Becky S. - Cincinnati

Friendly Man With Email
Email Etiquette
AOL Email
Troubleshooting Problems With AOL Email
Junk Mail or Email Spam
Preventing Junk Mail or Email Spam
Photo of a person clicking on their inbox.
Organizing Your Email
Gmail
Using Gmail
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 13, 2016 at 1:16:35 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.