Preventing Junk Mail or Email Spam

Category Spam
There are ways to protect your email address from the frustration of unsolicited junk email, and sometimes you just need to start over. This page is about preventing junk mail or email spam.

To quickly get rid of a lot of the spam in your email box, just do this. As you check your new mail, go down the list and check the little box next to the spam mail as you go down the list. When done, hit 'delete' or 'spam' at the bottom of the page to remove all the spam emails at once. It only takes a minute of two, and you'd be surprised how much junk mail you get rid of this way.

By lara from Portland, OR

I have more than 8 different email addresses, split between cable provider, hotmail and gmail. With all accounts combined, I still get less than one spam per day - combined!

Pick a name that is unique. If you pick a name and have spam the very next day, chances are that someone has contaminated the user name before you. Put something in front of the name...

something like...

hereis
mebe
iare

things that spambots aren't likely to come up with

Use one account as your "junk" account. Use that one to sign up for stuff on the internet.

Never post your email address online. If you must, you should post only your junk account (disposable when spam gets out of hand) in the following format...

myemail at myprovider dot com

Then instruct readers to change at to @ and dot to . and remove spaces. This thwarts the majority of spambots.

Give your "private" email address only to persons you know, not to companies unless you have tested them on a separate email address for spam first. Have a second account that you use for certain registrations and newsletters AFTER testing them on your junk account. Test them for 2 months before allowing them to know your "private" email address.

When your 'disposable' junk account starts accumulating spam, dump it for another.

By beanygurl from Winnipeg, Canada

I received a forwarded email about the cost of prescription drugs last night from a relative. The subject was "Subject: Drug Costs" and went on to say "The women who signed below are Budget Analysts out of federal Washington, D.C. offices."

There was a person mentioned in the bottom of the email from a government office so I emailed her and asked if she could verify what was in the email. She told me that it was just something that she had forwarded on a long time ago and now was considered the source of the information. She receives lots of emails a day about it.

There is a good website for checking out those "Send to everyone you know." emails. It is called Break the Chain.

http://www.breakthechain.org/

This one in particular is covered at: http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/genericrx.html

Be sure and do your own research on chain letters before you pass them on. There are letters that have been circulating for years and years. You also can become the source of the information like this woman did when all you do is send it on. So many people leave the trail of email addresses where it has been sent before on their messages.

As far as internet scams are concerned, there are plenty. If you think something is a scam go to:

http://www.scambusters.org/

It's best to be very cautious about forwarding. There is so much misinformation out there.

I have a problem that's driving me nuts. Lately I've been bombarded with annoying e-mails. Crackpot psychics are the least of it. Some are just plain filthy. I have set my "Junk e-mail options" on "high" and I put the senders and domains in the "blocked senders" file but this stuff keeps getting through!

Why isn't it working and where did these e-mails come from all of a sudden? No one else has access to this computer. By the way, my computer's security system lets this filth in but often sends ThriftyFun to the junk e-mail file. Go figure. I'm no computer genius. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

peanuts from Virginia

Answers

By Diana (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Have you registered for FREE stuff? Completing those forms often generates a LOT of SPAM
I use CA Security and NO SPAM gets through
google it. I think it runs about $30/year

also set up a free e-mail account (Yahoo for example) to give when you are required to give an e-mail address
this will keep you good e-mail free from clutter
Run a check for tracking cookies too and clear them out

By Syd (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I use Message Rule in Outlook Express Email. I set up individual files for messages to go into; i.e. personal, any particular email group I'm on, computer (newsletters), newsletters (general), Recipe group, etc. Click on Message Rules and see what the options there are for setting up your files. You must set up each folder.

Most of the stuff that comes to my Inbox is Spam; I can quickly look to see if all is SPAM then highlight an email and click Control A at the same time, which highlights all the emails in the Inbox then click delete.

Works great for me!

TIP: Occasionally a Message Rule clicks itself off with a red arrow and things that normally go to a folder will wind up in your Inbox. Just go back to Message Rule and correct it.

Answer this Question

I keep getting disgusting emails. I tried to have it changed but my ISP's process is so difficult I can't figure it out. Can I get a second email address? Preferably a free one because this computer is costing a fortune as it is. Would I have to report this second address to my ISP? I hate dealing with those people! I'd be so grateful for any help. I'm starting to think getting this computer was the worst mistake I ever made.

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

I use Outlook Express, and I am suddenly being invaded by junk mail soliciting either refinancing, stocks et. I did not have this before, I am replying to them to stop but some are returning as undelivered. We have Norton, Antispyware, etc.

Please help!

Ana from Pembroke Pines, Florida

Answers

For a free spam remover, ask your ISP (internet service provider) to suggest one. They know the best ones that are free. If you love it, you can buy it, but it's usually not necessary. Most ISP's are very helpful with little tips that make your relationship with your computer much smoother. If nothing works, buy those sponge bricks, and you know what to do from there.

By Ardis Ilene Barnes

By Julie C. (Guest Post)

I use adaware, its a free download from lavasoft....I ran it on my aging old computer and it found 600+ spams....now you'd never know the computer is 5 years old! ( http://www.lavasoft.com )

By syd (Guest Post)

Someone mentioned ...

This is a very good program, however, this is for "tracking cookies" Lavasoft calls them "web bugs" and it does help, but does not take care of all SPAM.

I use Lavasoft and scan my computer several times a day for tracking cookies and delete them. It's a maintenance thing!

I find that using "message rules" in Outlook Express works quite well for me. I set up folders and my designated emails go direct to the folders in Outlook Express ... most of what is in my "inbox" is spam. I do a quick look to make sure a good email is not there, then just highlight everything in the inbox and delete.

It is rather easy to set up. There is always Windows books to refer to.

Changing your e-mail address once in a while is a good idea. In fact, I have found that using a different name and e-mail address for certain types of sites is safer than using the same name and address and password for everything. It cuts down on the danger of ID theft. And it sure cuts down on the junk email.

By Ardis Barnes

By pam tucker (Guest Post)

I have one email address that I do not get any spam in because I only give that address out to certain companies like credit card or the bank. I use another email address for newsletters and contests. I know I am going to get spam in those, but I have a great spam filter.

By pam tucker (Guest Post)

By Patti (Guest Post)

Ana, all the advice you've received so far is good. One more thing -- you have inadvertently made a BIG mistake. You've replied to the spam messages. When you reply in any way, even by hitting the "unsubscribe" button, you are telling the spammers that your e-mail is current and legitimate. Therefore, they sell your e-mail to MORE spammers who send you MORE spam, etc etc etc.

Believe me -- I am the voice of experience. :-(

It's a sick world, to be sure. Good luck with your new address.

By Shirley (Guest Post)

I have had the same problem lately...I do have Norton Spam blocker on my computer and that eliminates a lot of them, and I do use the block sender feature. I thought it was NOT a good idea to respond to them so they cannot identify your computer?

By (Guest Post)

It's a bad idea to respond to spam. The spammer now knows it's a good email addy and you will get even more spam. Best thing is to just delete it all, unread.

Only friends and relatives have my real email addy and I don't get any spam. I use a freebie email account for any online registrations, account contacts, etc.

By Connie A. (Guest Post)

We get this junk also. I go to "Messages" at the top and click on "Block Sender" this will stop this particular sender although more will arise. I just keep blocking. Maybe they aren't getting the message but neither and I getting "their" emails. Please don't reply to spam, this only makes it worse and they gain more information about you than you care to give.

By Roberta (Guest Post)

I too had that problem but downloaded Stop-Sign spyware and virus program and it's the best I've ever used. It allows you to block further email, should it slip through, right on your email program. There is a "block/allow" panel and you just drag the email to there and it blocks further attempts.
I will say I have rarely had to even use that since it stops mass mailings, finds and isolates virus emails, stops pop-up, etc. Can you tell I really love the program!

Go to google and type in
housecall
it's free and is wonderful for finding spyware that the other companies can't. You will have to re-download it everytime you use it unless you buy the product.

Also, put your computer in Safety Mode and run an anti-spyware program. You might find a few of those programs lurking there (a computer professional told me to do this).

By syd (Guest Post)

Message Rules is Free:

Answer this Question

Hello Frugal friends,

I was wanting to know why all my junk mail isn't going into my junk mail folder, it always goes into my inbox. That's a pain to separate all the time. Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it all.

Answers

Teresa, I don't know which your e-mail carrier you have, but Yahoo, MyWay and Hotmail allow you to mark junk e-mail as "spam" (or "junk" in Hotmail). I do that everytime spam gets into my "inbox" and pretty soon, you have a fairly junk free inbox. There are always one or 2 that slip through from time to time. On the other hand, you also need to check your junk folder to make sure "good" e-mail didn't slip in there....I've had that happen several times, too.

It looks like someone has been using my account to send spam. I keep getting failure notices for mail (spam) that I didn't send. How do I stop this? Thanks.

By Tami from Ojai, CA

I keep getting spam from one place that's trying to sell something. I use the filter in Yahoo mail, but that doesn't stop them from continuing to send me mail. In the "sender" field or the "subject" field they just add certain numbers or characters and the spam continues to get through.

If I could figure out which of my mail accounts they are sending it to I could delete that account. Without opening the spam I can't tell which of my mail accounts it's using. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as every day I get spam from them trying to sell me Viagra.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Angela

Answers:

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

This happens to me also on and off with one (only one) of my AOL e-mail accounts. I contacted them and they verified that no one had 'invaded' my computer and took over by sending e-mails. They said it is not difficult for someone to fake an e-mail with someone else's address. They have me forward them to them, whenever if happens. as my e-mails show details of the origin of the e-mail.

Every computer has a signature to it. This helps your ISP to track down such people. So contact your ISP. They should be able to guide you in trying to solve your problem. It helped a lot with me, although occasionally I still get them. (01/12/2009)

By Memere

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

I would contact whoever I have my email account with and forward them the failures and ask them what can be done to fix this problem. (01/12/2009)

By Laura

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

I have been having a similar problem lately. I am getting spam that comes in as "to me" and "from me." Since my first name is often mistaken to be the name of a man, I get all those nasty emails that are geared for males. This has just started in the past few weeks. I actually have 2 addresses; one with google, and one with our local ISP, and they are using my google mail to send to my other mail also.

I could have it filtered out with my ISP mail, but my ISP does not let me check the spam before it is deleted, and sometimes they mistake good emails for spam. So I asked them to take the filters off. But for several years I have not had a problem. I checked the headers once, and all the information they gave me there was that it was coming from someone "pretending" to be me. But I already knew that much. Oh, well, it only takes a minute to move them over into the JUNK file. (01/12/2009)

By Harlean

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

They are not necessarily sending mail from your account. They are probably sending it from their own account, but putting your email in the FROM field. When an email delivery fails, the receiving server sends the notification back to whatever address is in the FROM field. With the right software, you can put any conceivable address in the FROM field, and it's very common for spammers to put the "wrong" address there. Think about it this way: you could send a letter to someone but a different "return address" on the envelope. On the surface, it would look like the other guy sent the letter. (01/12/2009)

By Josh Reeves

Spam Emails Being Sent from My Account

This happened to me a few months back. They even deleted all of my contacts in my address book. I had to change my password and it fixed the problem. I waited a week or so and changed it back and it happened again. So I would try changing my password and not changing it back. (01/13/2009)

By Krystle

Computers SpamJanuary 7, 2014
😎
🌻
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Preventing-Junk-Mail-or-Email-Spam.html