Preventing Email Spam?

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 104 Posts

I keep getting spam from one place that's trying to sell something. I use the filter in Yahoo mail, but that doesn't stop them from continuing to send me mail. In the "sender" field or the "subject" field they just add certain numbers or characters and the spam continues to get through.


If I could figure out which of my mail accounts they are sending it to I could delete that account. Without opening the spam I can't tell which of my mail accounts it's using. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as every day I get spam from them trying to sell me Viagra.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 169 Posts
January 27, 20120 found this helpful

If you have a hotmail account you can use the sweep feature to rid yourself of pests. Everything which isn't from someone on my contact list goes to junk.


I go in there periodically to sweep everything and it will block the addresses

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 28, 20120 found this helpful

Try setting up a separate yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc. account & use only that when giving out your e-mail addy on the net. I did that several years ago & check the account only about 2-3 times a week OR a little more if I know I've recently used that account on a website. Am sure it seems to some like more than they care about doing however it's amazing how much garbage ends up in the alternate account. Major upside is there hasn't been a bit of spam in either my husband's main or my own main account for years.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 28, 20120 found this helpful

If it's on Yahoo, do you use the "report spam" feature? I get loads of those viagra emails but the spam filter usually catches them all.


If that's not helping maybe you could try contacting Yahoo directly about the problem.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 109 Feedbacks
January 28, 20120 found this helpful

I am not familiar with Yahoo mail but I can tell you of a couple features that may be available to you.

Subject deletion - You can set up email to be automatically deleted if an email shows up with a particular subject, like viagra. I had an account that I used for website information. I never emailed anybody from that site so I made a rule that any email received with RE: in the subject would be deleted automatically. Since I never expected and email reply from anyone this eliminated many unwanted emails.


Contacts only - this feature allows for emails to stay in the in box if the sender is part of the contact list. I think this was mentioned above.

From Deletion - I have received junk mail from sources that list my own email address as the sender. I use this function to automatically delete any emails that supposedly come from my own email address.

Unsubscribe - one factor that many people don't even look for is many of these emails have an option to "unsubscribe" from the email list. This is usually at the bottom of the email and sometimes it is part of a graphic so you have to load the entire email before you see it. 90% of the time this works. The other 10% usually puts you on a confirmed email list that is sold to other companies. Not a perfect solution but 9 out of 10 times it works.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 29, 20120 found this helpful

if you direct multiple accounts to send email to one specific account: in that specific account, set up folders for each of your accounts and set up a rule that directs one receipent to each folder. it will quickly become obvious which email address is receiving the spam and you can deal with it accordingly.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Computers SpamJanuary 27, 2012
Father's Day Ideas!
Mother's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-05-07 09:49:42 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.