Recipes Using Spam

Category Ham
Spam is canned pork and ham and can be used in numerous recipes when you would normally use ham. This page contains recipes using Spam.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

I grew up on a farm way out in the country. When my husband and I were dating, he told his friends that I lived in Plum Nelly, plum out of the country and nelly out of the world. Our family didn't have a lot, but we did eat well. Most of our food was grown on the farm. For meat, we had cows, pigs and chickens, plus bass and crappie we caught while fishing in the pond and occasionally we even went frog gigging. Frog legs were a real treat.

After finishing school, I got my first full time job and moved from home to the big city of Raleigh, NC and shared an apartment with one of my classmates. I was like a fish out of water. It was a big change of life for me and I had a lot to learn. The two of us had to live on a tight budget.

My roommate introduced me to Spam, which I had never heard of. I found it to be quite tasty. Spam is not what I would call a health food, however we do enjoy having it once in a while. When battered and fried crispy, it is delicious.

• 1 can (12oz) Spam*
  • flour**
  • Crisco vegetable shortening.

* I get the lite as it has less fat, calories and sodium.
** I have to use gluten free Bisquick or gluten free flour.

1. Open the can and take a knife and go around the edge to loosen the spam. Dump it out on a plate.
  2. Slice spam into 8 or 9 slices.
  3. Coat each slice with flour.
  4. Fry in a little hot Crisco, 360 F, uncovered until well browned on each side.
  5. To keep the grease from spattering, I cover the pan with a splatter screen.
  6. Remove and place on paper towels to drain.
  7. Enjoy!
  8. Ad

Very different recipe.

Hold the salt and let each individual salt to taste when at the table. Spam is rather salty.

I have found that Spam is a great and inexpensive substitute for ham in scalloped potatoes. Just use the same way you would use regular ham.

By Robin