Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Recipes Using Canned Pork

Finding a recipe to use for canned meat can sometimes be difficult. This is a guide about recipes using canned pork.

I would appreciate recipes for using canned pork.

Jayhawk from Lawrence, KS

I just made some awesome Chile Verde using canned pork. Here's the super easy recipe:

1 can canned pork (ours was from commodities)

1 jar salsa verde, I used Safeway brand

white sauce, 1/2 & 1/2, or whipping cream to cut potency of salsa verde.

or heat up 3/4 jar of salsa verde and add 1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2 or whipping cream to heated verde sauce. Stir to thicken.

Drain canned pork making sure to scrape off any excess fat. Gently pull pork apart into chunks and put into pan with verde sauce. Stir on medium low heat until heated through.

Serve with your favorite pinto beans and top with sour cream. Add tortillas and rice for a total fiesta. Enjoy!

Recipe for white sauce:

Make a roux with about 1-2 tbsp butter (or juices from pork) and 2 tbsp. flour. Wisk until smooth paste, add about 1 cup milk, stir until thickening. Add salsa verde and stir.

Hi i have used canned pork for several meals. You can make a quiche or spaghetti or pork with egg noodles or even chilli. Its the spices that makes the difference. I buy them at trader joes or costco. Its called 21 spices and its organic and no salt added. Awesome spices. You can even make the spices yourself. 1.95 At trader joes 7.99 At costco. Just make sure you rinse the pork in warm water and drain then add your spices. I have gotten great reviews on my meals. So give it a try.

I found this awesome recipe and my family went back for seconds and thirds! My mother had seconds and she HATES canned pork. Not anymore!

SOUTHWEST PORK & RICE

1 & 1/2 tsps chili powder

3/4 tsp ground cumin

3/4 tsp black pepper

3/4 tsp salt

1 large can canned pork (24 oz)

1 TBSP vege oil

I cup rice (not instant)

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 can diced tomatoes, undrained

1. In medium bowl combine chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Drain pork and mix with spices.

2. In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add pork: cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove pork from skillet; set aside.

3. Add rice and onion to skillet; cook and stir 2 minutes or until rice is opaque and onion is translucent. Stir in 1 & 1/2 cups water, tomatoes, and bring to a boil;stir in pork.

4. Cover; reduce heat to medium low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

***For added flavor, sprinkle with fresh minced cilantro. Also, add 1 cup frozen corn to rice mixture with tomatoes; proceed as directed.

Ok, I went ahead home to open up my canned pork and took some of the advice I had found on this site and others. I drained the pork fat/juice off of it, placed it in a sauce pan on low, and broke apart the chunks of pork and removed any pieces of fat. Drained away most of the additional fat as it melted away with the heat.

I made something like "Shredded Pork" for tacos or nachos. I used canned pork for a large family so:

2 cans of pork

1/2 onion

1/2 green pepper

garlic pepper seasoning (mixture of garlic, salt, sugar, pepper) - season to your taste

I stirred it with a fork to shred it apart gently and allow it to simmer so that flavors blend together. It was delicious. We served it with some "rice and black beans"

1 tsp. olive oil

1 onion chopped

1 tsp. garlic powder

Saute those together in a sauce pan or small to medium stock pot for 3 minutes

3/4 cup of white rice - add to the pan and saute for 2 minutes

1 1/2 cup of chicken broth - mix into the rice and simmer for 20 minutes

add 1 can drained black beans, 1 can drained corn, 1 can diced tomatoes

add 1 tsp chili powder

add 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper

stir and simmer for 5 minutes

Top your tacos as you normally would, lettuce, cheese, sour cream (what we used) or for nachos, layer the chips, add the shredded pork, then the black beans and rice, cheese and sour cream if desired.

This meal was great and the taste was surprizingly amazing. I prepared it and it did not taste anything like "canned or processed meat". If I acquire any additional canned pork, I will certainly make this again. Also, I will try something like chopped BBQ (like from hursey's BBQ)

I buy canned pork at Walmart.

Lakeside Foods another pork with juices.

You can can your own. It's great. I'm just looking for more recipes to use it with.

Occasionally, we will have fried Spam. I slice it and batter each slice in flour and fry until brown and crisp on each side.

I make sandwich spread from canned pork, ranch dressing and pickle relish. Mash with a fork, and add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of ranch dressing and pickle relish. The amount of dressing and relish you add depends on the texture you prefer. I like the 1/3 cup results. Mix well, and serve as a sandwich filling, or on crackers as a snack.

Going to try crock pot recipe tonite

A pulled pork sandwich
Recipes Using Pork
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats PorkMay 24, 2016
Canned Beans
Using Canned Beans in a Crockpot
Crockpot Pork Roast
Crockpot Pork Roast Recipes
Barbecue Pork
Barbecue Pork Recipes
Pork Chops ready to be cooked.
Italian Pork Chop Recipes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 28, 2017 at 11:16:44 AM on 10.0.2.244 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.