Recipes Using Canned Pork

I would appreciate recipes for using canned pork.

Jayhawk from Lawrence, KS

I boil macaroni and drain. Add 1 jar of canned pork or venison (drained of the juice), 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. I then season it with Fajita seasoning or salt and pepper basically season with what I have on hand that sounds good. It makes a nice quick meal. I sometime experiment with adding a can of vegetable to make it more healthy.

Hi Jayhawk, I lived in Lawrence for 12 years. I now live in Washington State. I used to get the canned pork from Penn House. I would BBQ it. Just open the can, rinse off the fat then pour in BBQ sauce and heat. It makes great BBQ sandwiches. I also would mix in a packet of brown gravy and put over mashed potatos. Yummy.

mix with brown beans and serve with cornbread.
b-b-q.
serve like hot beef sandwich subbing pork for beef.
serve with mashed potatoes.
cook potatoes, carrots and onions and add pork.
add to stir fried veggies and serve over rice.
good luck and I envy you. its been years since I found any canned pork.

-I made this last week, I couldnt find any recipes I liked so I made one... I put 1 bag of small red beans (soaked overnight) and a can of pork and juices into the crock pot. I added water, 1 pouch of lipton beefy onion soup, season salt, minced onions, teaspoon of garlic, and salt. Let crock for 4 hours. Yummy type of pork and beans, the guys ate it all up!!!

-I am going to try this one tonight... I just thought it up. Boil 1 can pork in juices, then drain. Home made gravy. Mashed potatoes. After cooking pork and potatoes separately, mix pork into potatoes. Add butter and gravy. Well see what happens! It does sound quite tasty!

Going to try crock pot recipe tonite

You can buy excellent canned pork from Grabill Country Meats @ (260)627-3691 or

grabillmeats.com

Anonymous

Lakeside Foods another pork with juices.

I love Amanda's phrase, "the guys ate it all up!". Reminds me of my Grandma talking. It would be something she would say! Sounds like you got a stock pile of canned pork! Ha ha. Love the question, "where I can buy a can of pork". One avoids buying canned pork! Canned pork is something you end up with or acquire from a food bank! Thanks Amanda, I'm gonna try your way.

This post was so funny and true. I have 3 cans of lakeside pork - from a food bank, not very attractive to look at, and I hate to just toss it. So all these recipes are great ideas. Thank you so much. Lol.

For 24 or 29oz Canned Pork: Drain(save liquid, might need. Remove as much fat as possible.
1/2 med. onion or 1 sm. onion- diced
1/2 sm. green pepper- diced
Saute onion and gr. pepper for about 5 min.
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 eggs lightly beaten
Combined drained pork with other ingredients**
If to dry, add liquid from pork. Put in loaf pan and bake 1hr. at 350. ** Seasoning your choice. I use gd. pickling spices, Mexican or Italian spice blend.
Can be used when removed from oven or let cool, cover then weight with heavy can over night in fridge.
Cut thin. Can be rewarmed carefully or served cold.
This can be used for canned pork, chicken or beef. Just change seasonings.

It is very easy to can your own pork loin in a pressure canner. Raw pack using the recipe from the USDA approved source http://www.uga. … bes_chunks.html. If you need help, talk to your County Extension Office. You'll never buy it in a can again as this is delicious and it's very economical to purchase pork loin on sale. I just bought a huge loin for $1.69/lb at Safeway.

I just made some awesome Chile Verde using canned pork. Here's the super easy recipe:

1 can canned pork (ours was from commodities)
1 jar salsa verde, I used Safeway brand
white sauce, 1/2 & 1/2, or whipping cream to cut potency of salsa verde.
or heat up 3/4 jar of salsa verde and add 1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2 or whipping cream to heated verde sauce. Stir to thicken.
Drain canned pork making sure to scrape off any excess fat. Gently pull pork apart into chunks and put into pan with verde sauce. Stir on medium low heat until heated through.
Serve with your favorite pinto beans and top with sour cream. Add tortillas and rice for a total fiesta. Enjoy!

Recipe for white sauce:
Make a roux with about 1-2 tbsp butter (or juices from pork) and 2 tbsp. flour. Wisk until smooth paste, add about 1 cup milk, stir until thickening. Add salsa verde and stir.

Hi i have used canned pork for several meals. You can make a quiche or spaghetti or pork with egg noodles or even chilli. Its the spices that makes the difference. I buy them at trader joes or costco. Its called 21 spices and its organic and no salt added. Awesome spices. You can even make the spices yourself. 1.95 At trader joes 7.99 At costco. Just make sure you rinse the pork in warm water and drain then add your spices. I have gotten great reviews on my meals. So give it a try.

I found this awesome recipe and my family went back for seconds and thirds! My mother had seconds and she HATES canned pork. Not anymore!

SOUTHWEST PORK & RICE

1 & 1/2 tsps chili powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1 large can canned pork (24 oz)
1 TBSP vege oil
I cup rice (not instant)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained

1. In medium bowl combine chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Drain pork and mix with spices.

2. In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add pork: cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove pork from skillet; set aside.

3. Add rice and onion to skillet; cook and stir 2 minutes or until rice is opaque and onion is translucent. Stir in 1 & 1/2 cups water, tomatoes, and bring to a boil;stir in pork.

4. Cover; reduce heat to medium low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

***For added flavor, sprinkle with fresh minced cilantro. Also, add 1 cup frozen corn to rice mixture with tomatoes; proceed as directed.

Ok, I went ahead home to open up my canned pork and took some of the advice I had found on this site and others. I drained the pork fat/juice off of it, placed it in a sauce pan on low, and broke apart the chunks of pork and removed any pieces of fat. Drained away most of the additional fat as it melted away with the heat.

I made something like "Shredded Pork" for tacos or nachos. I used canned pork for a large family so:

2 cans of pork
1/2 onion
1/2 green pepper
garlic pepper seasoning (mixture of garlic, salt, sugar, pepper) - season to your taste

I stirred it with a fork to shred it apart gently and allow it to simmer so that flavors blend together. It was delicious. We served it with some "rice and black beans"

1 tsp. olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder

Saute those together in a sauce pan or small to medium stock pot for 3 minutes
3/4 cup of white rice - add to the pan and saute for 2 minutes
1 1/2 cup of chicken broth - mix into the rice and simmer for 20 minutes
add 1 can drained black beans, 1 can drained corn, 1 can diced tomatoes
add 1 tsp chili powder
add 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
stir and simmer for 5 minutes

Top your tacos as you normally would, lettuce, cheese, sour cream (what we used) or for nachos, layer the chips, add the shredded pork, then the black beans and rice, cheese and sour cream if desired.

This meal was great and the taste was surprizingly amazing. I prepared it and it did not taste anything like "canned or processed meat". If I acquire any additional canned pork, I will certainly make this again. Also, I will try something like chopped BBQ (like from hursey's BBQ)

I buy canned pork at Walmart.

Occasionally, we will have fried Spam. I slice it and batter each slice in flour and fry until brown and crisp on each side.

I make sandwich spread from canned pork, ranch dressing and pickle relish. Mash with a fork, and add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of ranch dressing and pickle relish. The amount of dressing and relish you add depends on the texture you prefer. I like the 1/3 cup results. Mix well, and serve as a sandwich filling, or on crackers as a snack.

Remove the pork from can as a whole piece, drain and remove fat. Place the whole piece over indirect coals on grill in an aluminum pan with small holes poked in the bottom. Brush on your favorite BBQ sauce. Allow the pork to get a little bark and smoke from the grill. Transfer into a small crock pot and add the jar of BBQ sauce, a little garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Once heated and mixed through Serve on Hamburger or Slider buns. The charcoal gives it a better taste and also adds that charred bark to the mix.
*Some hints:
~Keep lid on grill and close the air vents on bottom and leave 1/16" gap on lid vent.
~I have found that if the can is refrigerated before opening it will stay together longer. It also congeals the fat and fatty juices and they can be scraped off with a spoon or fork.
~You can also keep some of the congealed fatty juice on the pork "blob" In the pan and start the pan with meat over the coals, allowing the fatty liquid to drip through the holes into the coals causing more smoke.
~Be sure to move it away from coals so it doesn't burn once you get good smoke going.