Reducing Junk Mail

I noticed different mail arriving with a spelling mistake in my name. It kept coming, from increasing different sources, including a political party! I had read that organizations sell their mailing lists and now I watched it happening.

From that point on I "returned to sender" by a slash through my name toward the return address. I wrote "unsolicited mail". There were many stops at the mailboxes. I systematically eliminated any legitimate mailings that I knew were selling their client base of names and addresses.

It means no more subscriptions, but now I receive only my bills :( and solicited mail. I think Reader's Digest is the worst offender for this practice. That's where my misspelled name originated. But I can't do a thing about those ones marked "Occupant". They go in the cat box as great scratch it up stuff.

Source: Observation. Deduction. Research. Patience. Success.

By Carol W. from Canada

More Solutions

When I receive junk mail with a postage-paid envelope included, I take the time to tear off the part of the page that has my name and address printed on it.

You can cut down on the amount of junk mail you receive by registering at dmachoice.org.

Opt out of junk mailings, tele-marketers calls and e-mail lists. It is easy and free:

I apologize for the 'lateness' of this question. A few weeks ago, I read about how you can get product samples and give them to homeless shelters. I LOVE this idea but I have a question for those who order samples. Do you get junk snail mail or other spam because of this? If so, how do you handle this problem?

That's my only concern otherwise, I'd sign up for everything. Please let me know the answer to my question. If my concerns aren't a problem, I look forward to helping out others by doing this simple thing.

Dawn from Apple Valley, MN

Answers

Hi--I think it was my tip that I submitted that you're referring to! :) So far, I haven't had a big problem with a lot of spam, etc. In some cases, if they ask for an e-mail address, I use one that I rarely use. Then if I get any kind of ad from them I just delete it right away. Also, I just give the bare minimum information--that is, I don't fill in any of the "optional" information boxes. Of course, I can't guarantee that you wouldn't get spam--it depends on the company, I suppose. I just think this is a pretty simple way that I can try to help out, while being on a limited budget myself! Some people may not be comfortable with having to give their information to get the samples, but if you don't mind, it's an easy way to help out! Glad you liked the tip!

Yes, that's one of the big drawbacks of free samples.

If I don't want emails from the company, I'll opt out by choosing the "Unsubscribe" option, generally at the bottom of the email.

I have also gotten some free samples from Walmart. I just fill in the name & address section of the form to receive my sample and I haven't received any junk mail and very minimal junk emails. Many of the companies ask for additional information and if you're willing to review their product, but I choose not to fill in that part of the form.

By Christine IN (Guest Post)

I have more than 1 address & only give out my dummy address to companies. You are usually allowed more than 1. Hope this helps.

Answer this Question

I am trying to help my elderly parents to get their name off mailing lists. I feel they are getting targeted for buying things they really do not need. I have seen this happen to other older people. Please advise me how to stop junk mail as a free service. Thank you.

By Barbara from Boerne, TX

Answers

When I get junk mail I give it back to the postman. He told me I could go on line to USPS.gov and have my name taken off the junk mail list. Going to that site I can't find any link to do so. I would ask you postman about it.

To eliminate a lot of funk mail don't sign up for any free items; don't subscribe to any magazines, don't contribute to charity organizations and don't register to vote. That's a hard one because I vote but I don't like all the junk mail and phone calls from people running for political office. Any time your name, address, and phone number is given to any organizations one is subject to junk mail and unwanted phone calls. Sad, but it's the world we live in and you can't trust any organization to not sell your information.

This is how to remove yourself from the NCOA list....

National Change of Address (NCOALink) "is a secure dataset of approximately 160 million permanent change-of-address (COA) records consisting of the names and addresses of individuals, families and businesses who have filed a change-of-address with the USPS".

The USPS National Customer Support Center (NCSC) in Memphis, TN can remove your information from the National Change of Address (NCOA) system. Please email your request to COAHelp@usps.gov, to the attention of Garry Moore, or contact them directly at 866-315-7856 X6453.. You may also cancel the change of address order by calling 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) or by visiting www.usps.com and providing the confirmation number.

Answer this Question

7 Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Here's the 1999 Junk Mail Totals for our office . . .

photo of a mail box with junk mail overflowing

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes
Better Living Green Living AdviceMay 20, 2012
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Reducing-Junk-Mail-Guide.html