Save Your Paper Towels

I recently read a tip from a reader who rinsed out her paper towels to see if she could use them a little more before reaching for another towel. I believe I can do her one better. I save the old towels, washcloths, dishcloths, etc. that are too thin or ragged for their original use. They work great for dusting, scrubbing, etc. They even work with 409, Fantastik, or whatever spray cleaner you use.

When washing windows, using spray window cleaner, I use good old-fashioned tea towels, the ones that are too thin to be much good for drying dishes. I even grab them when washing the car windows. Since I like to buy the heavier, cloth-like paper towels, I can make a roll last much longer this way. I save them for the things I don't want to deal with again, like when the cat upchucks or something exciting like that. Also, when some grease gets spilled because that coats your rag or dishcloth or whatever and you'll probably never get it out and it won't absorb very well after that either. I feel this is both a frugal tip as well as an ecological tip.

I wanting to STOP BUYING paper towels but it seems to me that the cost of water and electricity to laundry rags would not justify the savings. My water bill is going up every month and my local news is saying that our water bills is estimated to go up 37 - 57% in the next few years. I use paper towels to obsorb grease when I cook bacon. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Saving Money on Paper Towels
Saving Money on Paper Towels
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsDecember 22, 2000
paper towel being pulled off cute flower holder
Uses for Paper Towels
Paper Towels
Fixing a Toilet Clogged By Paper Towels
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent