Make Your Own Mushroom Powder

If you get a super sale on mushrooms (mark downs); slice them and dry on cookie sheets on low in oven until crispy dry. I processed mine in a mini chopper and stored powder in spice jars.

Great for adding a mushroom flavor to gravy recipes when you are out of fresh mushrooms.

Can you imagine how much a spice company would market it for? Cheap, cheap, cheap!

Syd Barr

What a great idea. when ALDI has mushrooms for .49 or.69 I always buy them, and did dry some. Now I will make my own cream soup using the powdered version. Here is the recipe for cream soup base, that I think I got on this site:

Yield: equals 1 can of soup

2 Tbsp butter

3 Tbsp flour

1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup low-fat milk

Sea salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter over medium-low heat.

Stir in flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.

Add broth and milk, a little at a time, keeping stirring until smooth.

Return to heat. Bring sauce to a slow boil.

Cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.

Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed

Use in recipes in place of canned cream soups.

Add herbs and or seasonings, as desired. You can add vegetable broth, sauted chopped celery, celery seed, sauted chopped mushrooms, whatever you want.

To Sue, thank you for figuring out the price of making your own mushroom powder. But she does state that we should do this when the mushrooms are cheap. I find them quite often for 59 cents a package at Aldi. This reduces the cost dramatically.

From my calculations, you used just over 13 packs of mushrooms to make 80 Tbl of powder. At 59 cents each, 14 (I rounded up) packs would cost $8.26, a significant savings. And when you make your own, you know exactly what is in the product. Companies are not required to put all the ingredients on any label except when specifically required by law. Pink slime proved to us all that they will put anything in our food.

March 2, 2011 Flag

Mushroom Powder

I saw the tip about drying out mushrooms and then powdering them in a food processor. I bought dried mushrooms, instead of doing that myself. My food processor was too small for it to work well. Instead of used a coffee grinder. That worked very well. - Mike K (03/14/2001)

Make Your Own Mushroom Powder

This is a great idea. I tried it but left the slices on a tray in the oven with my pilot on. They were done the next afternoon with no fuss. (03/15/2001)

By guest

Make Your Own Mushroom Powder

Just in time. Mushrooms are on sale this week!
Thanks . (06/23/2005)

By Linne D.

Make Your Own Mushroom Powder

I figured it out. I bought the powder on-line and was $20.00 (based on 80 Tbsp.of powder). Cost to make 80 Tbsp. at home was $36.00 when the mushrooms were $2.69 a pound fresh.
Easier & cheaper to buy on-line & you can buy small containers. (07/29/2007)

By Sue

Making Mushroom Powder
Making Mushroom Powder
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesMarch 14, 2001
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms
Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
Recipes Using Mushrooms