Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes

Reaching into the dryer to remove your laundry only to discover the violet crayon is now decorating your clean clothing is frustrating. This is a guide about removing melted crayon from dried clothes.

Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes, Man removing clothes from the dryer.
Filter Sort

Tip: Success Removing Crayon On Clothing

By Robbster 1

I searched this thread and found this to be the most common successful formula for removing crayon from clothes after going through the washer/dryer, so thought I'd try it. I had red crayon on a whole load of clothes, dozens and dozens of spots. Since it was me and my son's fault, I had to deal with it, sparing my wife the extra work.

I used extra detergent (full cap Tide Free + full cap Tide Stain booster), plus borax (20 Mule Team, 1 cup), plus Oxiclean (4 scoops of the powder). I soaked the clothes for one hour on the hottest setting on our LG topload He machine, then used the heavy soil wash cycle.

Success! Got out 99% of the crayon with this approach. Found three remaining light spots which I'll try washing a second time, but the vast majority are completely gone. Nice!

My son cleaned the dryer drum with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power, which did the job well. I cleaned the filter with Soft Scrub as others had recommended, on a paper towel, with very hot water, and used a butter knife to wedge the towel into the small spaces. A bit of work, but also successful.

I appreciated the many suggestions here on ThriftyFun, and wanted to pass on what worked for me.

Don't give up, it can be done!

By Robbster from Ohio

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Removing Crayon from Washed and Dried Clothes

By afiprincess 1

I never check pockets when I wash clothes, and of course this time I payed the price. I did not realize there was a crayon in a pocket until I dried the load and to my horror saw that I had blue spots on everything. I honestly almost started crying.

I'm so glad I Googled and found this website. I read a lot of ways to help get crayon off, one post said to try LA's Totally Awesome that could be found at a dollar store. Thanks to this tough economy I decided to try this $1.00 product. And let me tell you, thanks goodness for this product.

I soaked the damaged clothes in the washer with hot water (I had a small load of damaged clothes) and poured in half the bottle of LA's Totally Awesome and I let it soak for approximately 30 min. I wanted to be sure the crayon was going to come out so I also scrubbed each piece with a cleaning brush. And wala out came the crayon. I then ran a normal cycle on hot water. Thank you for all the tips. This product will now be a must in my house. Good luck and I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

• 1 half bottle aprox LA's Totally Awesome ($1.00)
  • scrub brush ($1.00)
  • water

1. Soak clothes in washer with hot water and approximately half a bottle of LA's Totally Awesome in washer for about 30 minutes.
  2. Use scrub brush to scrub out crayon.
  3. I poured some more solution directly on spots if they were not coming out.
  4. Add detergent and wash.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Black Oil Pastel Crayon on Clothing

I need help! I have dried clothes in my dryer and have found a black oils pastel crayon melted on all of my clothes. Help how do I get them clean. They are brand new!!! I just washed them once.

Debbie in Illinois

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Black lipstick washed and dried with clothes. How do you get it off?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Crayon Melted on Clothing and Clothes Dryer

By karenf 1

My grandson left crayons in his clothing and it has left the clothes dryer and clothes full of crayon. How do I remove it from the cylinder in the dryer and also from his clothes?

By KarenF from Lake Worth, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By llpensinger 15 64 Flag

I know this sounds crazy but I'd spray the dryer with WD-40 and wipe down. As for clothes if you take newspaper, lay it over crayon marks using a hot iron run it over the newspaper. As the was in the crayons melts it will be soaked into the newspaper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Melted Crayon from Fabric

Does anyone know how to remove dried melted crayon off silk/polyester material?

By Candice T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Ziggyziggy 1 1 Flag

The best way to get melted crayon or wax out if clothes and the quickest is to out the iron on. Wet a facecloth. Put the damp facecloth on the item of clothing with the wax and iron on top of the damp face cloth keep moving the iron around for 30 seconds Wax is then removed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Melted Crayon from Clothes

What is the best way to get melted crayon out of your clothes?

By Soraya from Kissimmee

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dorothy 79 155 Flag

Place paper towel on the top and under the clothing and iron on it. The paper towel will absorb the liquid from the crayon.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Crayon Stain in Clothes

I washed and dried laundry with crayons. How do you remove these stains?

By Bobbi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ofarrellsaus 8 Flag

White vinegar and baking soda, make a paste and rub on the item of clothing. Leave it to soak up the stain then put through the washing machine and the stain should be out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Melted Crayon from Clothing

How can I remove melted crayon from clothing that has been washed and dried?

By Jeremy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tasana 3 20 Flag

Is it crayon stains or crayon pieces melted on the clothing? This is what my mom did when I left crayons in my pocket and she didn't know about it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5563276_remove-clothing-after-washing-drying.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

By Shellerz 1

How do you get melted crayon out of a full load of light clothes that have already gone through the washer and dryer?

By Shellerz from Dsm, IA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Foxes 1 Flag

LA's Totally Awesome! 1/2 bottle in the prewash compartment and 1/2 bottle in the main wash compartment and then set on the hottest water possible and add the soak phase. Incredible! Worked the first time! I had cotton T-Shirts and a nylon running jacket. I set mine on "Whitest Whites" (extra hot wash) and the "Soak Mode". LA's Totally Awesome can be found at Dollar Tree or Wal-Mart. I've been using it on so many things, including my laundry stains, for a couple of years. I didn't realize it would work on crayons until now!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Getting Melted Crayon Out of Dried Clothes

By ashleydanger67 1

Go to your nearest a Dollar Tree or Dollar General and buy a bottle of Awesome. Spray Awesome directly on the dried crayon and soak in hot water. Then use your choice of laundry detergent to pretreat the stain again. After about 10 to 20 minutes put back in machine and wash again. It takes the stains right out

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Jeans

How do you remove melted black crayon from denim jeans?

By Shirley G.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Washing Melted Crayons Out of Clothes

If the directions on the clothes call for only cold water, how can I get the melted crayons out? I am desperate! A load of my husband's work clothes (all brand new) got washed and dried with red crayon. Help!

By Bekah

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Crayons Out of Washed and Dried Clothes.

How can you get crayons out of washed and dried clothes?

By Cheryl H

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

How do I remove stains left by crayons that melted on a load of clothes in the dryer?

By Linda T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Crayon from Dried Clothes

A brown crayon went through the washer and dryer and now there are spots all over everything! This happened before and I tried spraying with a stain remover and soaking in hot water. Some things came clean, others, not so much. Any better ideas?

By Andrea B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

I washed and dried a crayon and now it is all over the clothes. How do I get it out?

By Mellissa W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Crayon Stains from Dried Clothing

By Julie V. 1

How do you get crayon out of clothes that have been dried in the dryer?

By Julie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: DESPERATE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Here are responses to a user that left crayon in her clothes pockets when doing laundry.

Answers:

Lestoil

One product on the market that works for me is Lestoil. I found it at K-Mart I believe. My husband works in a greasy, grimy factory and it removes all of it. Crayons are "greasy too. I'm betting that Lestoil will work. Be forewarned that it has a gasoline-like smell. I've found that a couple of regular washings after Lestoil use will remove the odor. I've used it on my kid's clothing... (01/21/2002)

By las424

Ironing

If you have patience, you could iron them out. This works with candle wax-it should work with crayons, which are also made of wax: Place a paper bag over the crayon stain. Iron, then lift off paper bag with
    crayon.

My friend uses Dawn Dish Soap to clean most greasy/waxy stains. If that doesn't work, you could just dye the clothes in the washer the same color of the crayons. (01/29/2002)

By Kimdedo

Soft Scrub

I had red crayon that melted in the dryer and was all over my dryer and my children's clothes. For the dryer I used soft scrub with bleach and water. For the clothes I washed them in hot water with tide with bleach, and oxiclean THREE times. It all came out) (06/04/2004)

By red crayon

WD-40

Use WD-40 to get the crayon out. It works awesome. Same thing happened to me. Put it on all the spots you got it on and then scrub a little bit. Re-wash all items and it should come out. (06/17/2004)

By WD-40 is the best crayon remover.

Toothpaste

I had great luck today getting the crayon out of my dryer with a wet rag & toothpaste! Worked on some of the clothes, too. (08/14/2004)

By Kim

Dish Soap and Vinegar

I have run into this problem many times but not as bad as last week when I washed all 4 kids best jeans for vacation. They came out with the worst red crayon stains I have ever seen and thought all was lost. After searching for what to do I eventually put the worst pair in the sink with HOT water, vinegar, and dish soap... let them soak till the water was cool then rinsed in hot water and let hang to dry. All of the stains came out!! I was so impressed I had to share this with you as it might save a few loads of laundry for some others. (12/03/2004)

By Kelly

WD40 Smell

The WD40 worked great, how do i get rid of the WD40 smell now. I've washed the clothes at least 5 times and they still smell. I'm afraid to dry them! (12/12/2004)

Goof Off 2

Yes, this too happened to me today! Green crayon all over my kids khaki uniform pants. I used Goof Off 2 water-based multi- purpose remover. It worked great! Pretreat then wash in hot H2O. Now, I have to get the green out of the dryer. Any ideas? (12/16/2004)

By Lisa in La.

Enzymatic Detergent

This is a really useful site! I've just had a close encounter with an orange crayon in the kids' laundry. I tried vinegar water hot soaks, boiling water and even peanut butter (Hey, it works on bubble gum!) None of it worked well. What wound up working best was just letting the clothes soak in the washer in water with a standard enzymatic detergent, then washing in the morning. Two cycles got the crayon out of everything but the socks and underwear; I guess cotton is tougher. (01/05/2005)

By Lars

Do not mix OxiClean or OxiBrite with chlorine bleach!

I am struggling with this also. But just a warning to everyone! Do not mix OxiClean or OxiBrite with chlorine bleach! There is a clear warning on the label about this. A janitor in one of our schools in Canada recently died when she mixed bleach with another cleaning chemical. Please be careful! (02/03/2005)

By Be Careful

Dish Soap

I just got brown crayon melted in my sons good pants. My entire dark load was thought to be ruined. I found that hot water soak with dish soap, let cool, then rinse hot, worked wonders. The crayon is gone excepted from the tag and pocket of the pants that had the crayon. Wonderful (02/07/2005)

By Jennifer, Ahhhh crayon!

Oxyclean

I too washed a load of my sons clothes and threw them in the dryer not knowing there was black and red crayons in one of his pockets. I had both colors dried on all his clothes and my new dryer was now a nice black and red swear color. I used oxyclean and soaked them all in hot water for several hours (did it twice) and 95% of the mess came out of the clothes. Pretty good considering I was going to toss them all. As for the dryer, I used some oxyclean and hot water and the eraser and the majority of it came out. Lesson learned: check all pockets next time! (02/08/2005)

By Mckenzie

Oxyclean

I found a package of restaurant crayons in my dark load after washing and drying. A HUGE mess! Most of the stains came out with Scrubbing Bubbles Tub Cleaner and a tooth brush (without removing the color from the clothes). The rest faded with repeated washings in Oxyclean.

Hope it helps! (02/16/2005)

By Rachel

RE: DESPERATE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I have tried almost everything to get the crayon out of clothes. I finally just tried going back to primitive times. I just soaked the items in very hot water for 15 min. then just used any dish soap to scrub the spots. It seemed the toothbrush I was using was doing an OK job, but then I started to scratch the spots with my fingernails and they came right out. I was very happy. I am from now on going to buy only Washable Crayons, they seem to come out easier than the regular kind. Hope this helps. (02/18/2005)

By Jamie

Dryel

I dried a hot pink crayon and ruined a whole load of laundry. Then I used Dryel stain remover and washed the entire load again in Tide with bleach. Every single mark came out and you can't even tell it happened! It is a very tedious job because you have to touch each mark but it worked. (02/25/2005)

By JennT

MACH III

I have found a solution for removing melted crayons from clothing. My grandson left a hand full of crayons in his jeans and the whole load of jeans had many colors of melted crayon all over them. I found an all purpose cleaner at a NAPA Auto parts store called MACH III. I diluted it, put it in a spray bottle, sprayed it all over the jeans and used a tooth brush to work on the spots. All eight pair of jeans are free from any melted crayon. This cleaner did not alter the color of the jeans either. (03/12/2005)

By Beverly Eraser

Toothpaste

CAN'T believe that toothpaste took the blue crayon off the inside of my white dryer. It is almost 99% gone. Should have known as parents anything new would get broken, dented or plain ruined. Brand new HE dryer only 6 days old and streaked inside by a crayon in a pocket. My husband may never notice thanks to the toothpaste. (03/18/2005)

By jgarciakeener

Toothpaste

To remove melted crayon on dryer - toothpaste works! Thanks to those who suggested it. I recommend pasting on a generous amount of toothpaste in your drier, spin it on high heat for a couple of minutes, wipe clean w/wet towel. (03/24/2005)

By Kim in OR

Oxy Clean

Thanks so much for the tips in soaking the clothes in Oxy Clean. It worked great. The few items that didn't come clean which were white I washed in bleach and they came out fine. Ended up just throwing away a pair of socks. Thanks again! (04/13/2005)

By Sandy

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser

Something else to try: Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. It worked for me.. the inside of my dryer was completely red from a crayon. I knew this product was a miracle worker for my walls.. and at the day care I work at, so thought I would try it on the mess in my dryer. How can one little crayon (it wasn't even a whole one) make such a huge mess??? lol (04/15/2005)

By Lee

This is from the Crayola website...

How to remove Crayons (Regular) from fabrics-fresh stains/heat-set stains (melted):

• Materials Laundry detergent
    • Liquid dishwashing detergent
    • WD-40® (car part lubricant)
    • Bleach for colored clothing (Clorox 2® or Biz®)
    • Paper towels

Procedure

Place the stained surface down on pad of paper towels, spray with WD-40, let stand a few minutes, turn fabric over and spray the other side. Apply liquid dishwashing detergent and work into the stained area, replacing toweling as it absorbs the stain. Wash in hot water with laundry detergent and bleach for about 12 minutes (use heavy soiled setting if there is no minute timer on your machine) and rinse in warm water.Special Note:Heat-Set Stains-Clean the drum of your dryer to remove any remaining wax residue. Spray a soft cloth with WD-40, and wipe the drum. Run a load of dry rags through a drying cycle to ensure that your drum is clean. (07/15/2005)

By Karen P - Valpo IN

Paper Towel and Iron

Something that helps to remove the waxy part of crayons or candle wax is to put a paper towel down on the surface of the object with the wax. Then take an iron on as warm a setting as the material will allow and melt the wax with the iron. The paper towel will soak up the wax. This won't remove all the stain and it won't necessarily remove color but it does help a lot. (08/13/2005)

By KD

20 MULE TEAM BORAX

I just had a red crayon melt in my new dryer also. I rewashed the entire load in 20 MULE TEAM BORAX. It all came out except the pocket the crayon melted in. Washed the shorts again, then it all came out. Hope this helps someone. (08/17/2005)

By Trisha C.

Krud Kutter

On my birthday last week my husband decided to be sweet and do the laundry. He is unfortunately not used to checking pockets before washing clothes. On the last load (almost entirely my daughter's new school clothes) we were dismayed to find that a red and a green crayon had been dried along with the clothes. We had not only heavy crayon spots, but also a thin layer of crayon on almost every item.

I came to this web site, read suggestions and then tried an idea of my own. IT WORKED LIKE MAGIC! I put each item in a large bowl and poured on Krud Kutter. This is a general purpose cleaner that I buy in the paint department at Home Depot. I put on enough to saturate the items and sort of swish it around. If there was a heavy spot of crayon, I scratched it with my nail. Every item came completely clean with no fading or bleaching of the items. I then rinsed the clothes in clean water and washed them again normally-in cold water. I am so thrilled and surprised with the results that I had to share! Even the rings on my fingers look like new. Also, I wiped down the inside of the drier with Krud Kutter and it looks like new. I hope that this helps someone else who is in a similar messy situation. (08/23/2005)

By Rebecca Breyer

Borax

90-95% of the crayon came out with one wash using the 20 mule Team BORAX - it is a laundry booster found in most laundry sections I guess (that's where I found it). BEWARE: it is hard on the clothing though - 3 items were damaged beyond fixing - it seemed to eat through some of the fabric that it sat on directly or something. If there was a worn place in your fabric before all this happened, it will be a hole when you get done. I used about a cup on a cold medium sized load, washed them a second time in my infant care fabric (since the crayon was in with my two year old's clothes.) I also pretreated a lot of the spots with oxyclean stain remover, and I also heard oxyclean worked well - they also have a liquid form. (09/01/2005)

By chezabou

Simple Toothpaste

OH MY GOODNESS! The toothpaste idea was absolutely perfect. I did not think that the dried stains would come off with simple toothpaste. I have used toothpaste to clean before, but never in a million years would have thought that it would work. I got all of the stains out of my entire load. It took me a while to get done because I had so much of it everywhere. I sat each item in a sink of warm water and applied the toothpaste with a toothbrush and scrubbed. Good Luck. (10/02/2005)

By LWilliams

Borax

Wow! The internet is awesome! I discovered an entire load of my NEW WINTER SWEATERS ruined with dark red crayon in the dryer! I was almost sick to my stomach when I thought I might have to throw them away! Logged on, did a search, found this site and I went out and bought 20-mule team borax detergent. ONE WASHING took out about 98% of the dried on crayon! Did one more wash to get the rest out! I'm SO THANKFUL for everyone on this site for their help! THANK YOU! (12/04/2005)

By 3doxiemom

WD40 Left Orange Spots on Jeans

I used WD-40 on a pair of cream colored jeans to get black crayon off the crayon is still there and the WD-40 left orange spots. What went wrong? (02/14/2006)

By Tasha

Baby Wipes

I came to this site to seek help in removing yellow crayon out of my son's white uniform. Thank you all for the great tips. Some of you have remnants of crayon in your dryer and need help there... use regular strength baby wipes! Don't try cheap store brand, buy the good name brand wipes. They also take ink and food stains off furniture and some markings on walls. I dread to think what is in these things that I'm using to wipe my child's rear, but they sure work. Good luck. (03/16/2006)

By Ellie

Orange Fast

You guys will love my husband for this. I had melted crayons all over my white shirt, my son cords, my daughter tights, skirt, her yarned sweater, and white shirt the color was florescent orange and it sat in my laundry basket for a week until i could go online and look up a solvent, and then my husband suggested ORANGE FAST the hand cleaner so I tried it with a little nail brush and it removed all of the caked on crayon. It did take some scrubbing but all of it came out... It also took some of the old stains out of my daughters school jacket it worked on red marker and the dirt that is always caked on the sleeves it also works on grass stains. I tried it on all of my stains so I could write all of you to tell you it does not do so good on chocolate stains, but hey, you can't have everything. (03/26/2006)

By Chashawna Andrade

For the dryer itself, I started with toothpaste then Comet. But I had the best results with Soft Scrub. (04/18/2006)

By

Purex and Borax

Day before yesterday, I washed and dried a dark blue or black crayon in a load of clothes. Everything seemed to be ruined. I called my mom and her friends at work and they directed me here to this page. Triumphantly, I want to let you guys out there know that I have conquered the washed then dried crayon stains left on an entire load of my 3 years olds clothes!

I used two cups of Purex Detergent and 1/2 cup of Borax Laundry Booster. Nearly all of it came out. I washed it one more time with one cup of Purex and another 1/2 cup of Borax and all of the stains were removed. Both loads were washed in HOT water and rinsed in Cold.
    Thank You! (04/21/2006)

By Sydney's Mommy Steffannie

Shout and Dawn

A full round of restaurant crayons found its way into a load of my husband's uniforms and knit shirts. We scraped off what we could. Each stain was scrubbed with the Shout scrubber before adding the item to the wash. I used HOT water and the wash cycle for 30 minutes. One cup of baking soda, 1/2 cup of dawn ultra dishwashing liquid and the shout gel removed every spot. I use Dawn (2TBS, low setting, HOT water) to get greasy stains out of my child's knit shirts. After reading about spots and clothes tearing up I was willing to try it for the crayon stains first. (04/22/2006)

By Bubba's wife

OxyClean

I had no idea that my friend had talked one of my kids in to taking their crayolas from a restaurant. I found one crayon, but didn't realize there were two more to melt all over. Wahoo! The OxyClean worked. I had a whole large load of jeans that had orange and red crayon melted all over it. I soaked the load in hot water & OxyClean (in my washer) for 3 hours... sure enough it worked! (04/22/2006)

By

Mr Clean Magic Eraser

I have just experienced the joy of discovering melted crayon all over my dried clothes! The tips worked -- thanks! Here's another tip to erase those crayon stains from the dryer -- wipe with a damp Mr Clean Magic Eraser sponge. It took the stains right out! This sponge also works well on crayon and dirty fingerprint stains on the wall! (04/24/2006)

By Amy

Warning About OxyClean

Just a warning for all of you using OxyClean products. DON'T wash anything that has been washed in even the tiniest amount of chlorine bleach. Your clothes will come out in shreds! (04/26/2006)

By Melba

This Worked for ME

I had a full load of laundry that a bright pink crayon went into. I came over to this site to read the tips of crayon removal. When I read most of these I said to myself this is way to much work for me. Who has that kind of time. So then I went over to crank my hot water heater up to the max, threw the whole load of damaged clothing into the washer and tripled the amount of laundry detergent. I also used bleach because the load was all whites. I then set the washer at the hot setting and washed the clothing as usual. I had to do the rinse cycle a couple of times, But sure enough everything came off. (05/01/2006)

By Jackie

Crayon on a Car Seat

I had a red and green crayon melt in the front seat of my car. I tried WD40 and then dawn to remove the grease. It got all of the melted crayon off but still left stains. I tried rubbing alcohol with cotton balls and it completely removed all of the red crayon without damaging the fabric but left the green. Then I tried toothpaste on the green and it did get most of it out. There is so little left now that you barely notice it. Hope this helps! (05/12/2006)

By Debbie Maddox

Magic Eraser

I used mr. clean magic eraser and it took fresh crayon stains out of my white dress shirts, maybe it would work for you (06/11/2006)

By Alyssa

Soak

Soak in hot water with 2 scoops oxyclean, about 2 cups white vinegar and 1cup rubbing alcohol. Let soak until water turns cold. Refill with hot water and wash in regular cycle. For spots: soak in vinegar, hot water and dawn dish soap until water cools. It should come off with a little pressure and a cleaning toothbrush. (06/14/2006)

By rlwarewolf

Shout

I pretreated a variety of clothes with Shout, until I emptied that bottle, then I used some Windex Multi Task. All but one item came completely clean after washing in extra hot water. I used double the detergent, (Purex with bleach) and I started the wash cycle over just before it started the rinse cycle. It was probably in the hot water for a good 20 minutes. All that other stuff just seemed like too much work. If you try this and it doesn't work, then you can try the other ideas. (07/30/2006)

By Tonja

Hairspray

Hairspray works like a charm. Spray area, rub gently, put a drop of dishwashing detergent on the area, rub gently, rinse with cold water. If there is any residue, repeat the process. It works. (07/31/2006)

By hedera

Archive: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I washed and dried a load of whites with a purple crayon. Any ideas how to get the crayon stains out?

Kandy from Phoenix

Answers:

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Full load of darks washed and dried with brown and red crayon - thought it was a TOTAL loss. For the dryer (which was a lovely shade of pink) tried Mr. Clean's magic eraser, but it didn't work so I tried Soft Scrub . . . success! For the laundry, the 21 Mule Borax in hot water on the longest cycle, worked like magic. Thanks for all of the tips! (08/27/2006)

By Beach

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Thanks Trisha, Steffanie, and "beach"! I soaked our jeans in hot water, laundry detergent, and Borax, and then washed them normally and the clothes are spotless! Also, the toothpaste in the dryer worked for me. And everyone: thank you for the warnings about mixing oxiclean with bleach! (09/06/2006)

By Alison

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used 20 mule borax. I the washed clothes in hot water and let them soak for about 20 minutes. The clothes still had little spots of crayon here and there so I wash them again and the turned out great. THANKS (09/11/2006)

By jay

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Tip on removing the crayon from the dryer drum:

Take a bunch of old towls and soak them in water and then throw them in the dryer and run it on the hottest setting.

If this doesn't work take WD-40 and Clorox Cleanup and scrub the drumb then run a load of old wet towls through again. (09/28/2006)

By ross

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used hot water in my washing machine to get crayon off of clothes that got put in the dryer. Gain laundry detergent (2 Xs) the regular amount. I also put a full cup of Shout in the washer with hot water and all of the clothes came out clean! What a LIFE SAVER! (11/01/2006)

By Camille

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I washed and dried a whole load of dark clothes (some of them new) and later discovered that a red crayon was in with the wash. I was desparate so I went online. Thank you for the information. I got some Cold Water Tide and used the maximum recommended amount along with a cup of Shout in hot water. Everything came out perfect. Thanks for the information. Even my dry cleaners didn't know what to do. (11/06/2006)

By SHERRY

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Try Baking Soda (8 oz) mixed with detergent and wash with hot water on longest setting. I did this twice and it worked. (11/09/2006)

By Valerie

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

So, yeah, the OXY ORANGE, Double DREFT & BLEACH trick worked. I also soaked them for an hour or so, and washed in HOT water. :) Thanks so much guys! (10/23/2007)

By tina

Recipe for Melted Crayon on Clothing Disaster!

I have 5 kids and I never knew what to do this has been going on for years at our home and all the clothes ended up in the trash. After reading this website I did my own concoction (sp).

I put in 1 cup each....
    any detergent ( I used the cheapest I could find at Wal-Mart)
    Oxy Clean ( also used a generic version)
    Shout
    White Vinegar

I washed everything in hot water and let it soak for about an hour. I rinsed with warm water. Everything came out! I washed the clothes only once!

For the dryer I found this method to work best take your kitchen dish rag get it wet and put on a generous amount of liquid dish detergent and throw it in the dryer for 5 minutes.

(b)(/b)(b)(/b)(b)(/b)(b)(/b) (10/29/2007)

By Shannon Mee

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

WOW! I'm SO glad I googled how to remove melted crayon on dried clothing!! I washed a load of my teenage daughter's school uniform pants last night, and tossed them in the dryer last night as well. When I unloaded the dryer this morning, I found large splotches of orange, yellow, white and blue crayon on EVERYTHING! I was not happy at all. I was all prepared to go out and spend a couple hundred dollars on new uniform pants for her, then I thought I would google it and see if there were any suggestions and I found this site! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! I already knew how to clean the crayon out of my new dryer, and thanks to the suggestion of
    1c. detergent (I used Gain powder)
    1c. Oxyclean
    1c. white vinegar
    1c. Shout
    Let soak in hot water for an hour, then wash....ALL THE STAINS CAME OUT! My daughter was really happy too, because I was REALLY upset with her. Thanks again for this amazing site and for the suggestions!! You saved my day, my sanity and my credit cards and bank account! (12/01/2007)

By Rhodesgemini

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

While doing laundry today I pull all our brand new christmas clothes out of the dryer and find them to be covered in red and blue crayon. After feeling a little hopeless I got online to try and find a solution. I found the one with the oxy clean and vinegar but I had none of the ingredients so I decided to try something else to soak them in till I got back from the store. To my suprise it worked. All I used was very hot water with 1/2 a cup of LA's Totally Awesome. This was an extremely cheap fix. You can find this cleaner at any Dollar General store for only a couple of bucks. (01/10/2008)

By hotrodgirl07

Can anyone help me with wax crayon stains? I must have left an orange one in my wash and I have tried all the usual stain removers. Nothing seems to help.

Antje from UK

Answers:

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Gojo - not the kind with pumice - or any brand of hand cleaner. Works really well - have 6 kids and have missed crayons in pockets more than once especially when they began to learn to do their own laundry

Warning - wash within a few minutes of applying or it will damage fabric. Also works well for lipstick. (03/14/2008)

By mammalisa

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

(sent in by email)
    I washed a load of whites and lights with a red crayon in my 6 yr old's pocket. Needless to say I was terrified! I called 1-800-crayola and they told me to lay out paper towel and spray the spots with wd40 and they wait two min and then to scrub with dish soap and then wash in hot water with detergent and bleach for unbleachables. I also used the wd40 on my dryer like they told me to and wiped it all clean and dried a load of dry rags. I was SHOCKED that it worked! My youngest son's white lovey came out clean. I was in shock! SO HAPPY! GOOD LUCK!
    Michy (03/14/2008)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Today I found not one but TWO crayons in my dryer and a whole lot of ruined clothes. I decided to google it and wallah! I found this website! I'm so glad b/c I was just going to throw the clothes out and buy new ones. Right now I'm trying the detergent, shout and hot water. If it doesn't work I'm going to try the Borax (last resort since some people said that it may ruin clothes). Wish me luck and thank goodness for this site! (03/17/2008)

By Amanda

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

this happened to me years ago before all the stain removing products were available. I put the items in a large pan, filled with water, added detergent and boiled the stains out. Worked fine. I remember my Mother boiling clothes to get stains out. (03/17/2008)

By duckie43

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

If it been heated at all it's not going to come out, it's there foroever. (03/17/2008)

By Ted

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

This happened to me two days ago with a red crayon. I soaked everything with hot water in the washer and a half a bottle of Orange TKO for a good hour and then washed on hot with 1/2 cup of Oxy Clean and a cup of regular detergent. It worked pretty swell, and everything smelled citrus fresh! No spot washing or scrubbing. As for the dryer, I turned it on high to heat everything up, then I wiped it down with an old rag and full strength Orange TKO. It worked like a charm! (03/19/2008)

By Trish

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

My daughter-in-law called me this morning all upset because a green crayon had gone through the washer and dryer with a batch of laundry. We tried the goo gone with very little success. We then called a local dry cleaning company and they suggested Murphy's Oil Soap. We worked in a little of the Murphys Oil Soap into each crayon spot and then washed is the warmest water that was safe for the fabric. She just called me and all of the crayon was successfully removed. (03/21/2008)

By Dawn

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Thanks for the great tips! I used 1 cup detergent, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 cup Borax and I soaked everything in hot water for an hour and then washed twice and it took out almost all of the crayon. I also used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in the dryer and it worked very well. Thanks again. (03/28/2008)

By Amy

RE: Melted RED Crayon Dried on Clothing and mess in dryer

Upset because the dryer still is red red red even after using toothpaste, soft scrub then magic eraser! My rag towels on hot setting aren't picking up the excess red.

Clothes are getting better after using Oxyclean, vinegar and hot water. My fingernails scratched off some of the clumps of red. Is my dryer permanently stained? It looks like strawberry swirl ice cream!

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Some people have had good luck using dampened dryer sheets. You should be able to get it out sooner or later. I'd be cautious drying anything in there until you can get the red out. (03/31/2008)

By Funke

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I just want to thank everyone for your feedback on this site. I too washed and dried a red crayon in a very full load of laundry. Everything and I mean Everything was RED! Socks, underwear, uniforms, jeans EVERYTHING! I read all of the feedback and came up with my own concoction. 2 capfuls of double strength Tide, 1 cup of Oxiclean powder, 1/2 cup of Borax and sprayed all of the articles of clothing down with Shout prior to re-washing. NO SCRUBBING! I threw it in the hottest water allowed and put it on heavy with the extra rinse cycle. You would never know the incident ever happened.

I am truly shocked and amazed! I thought I was going to have to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of clothes. Everything came out spotless after only one wash!! Please try this it is miraculous! Thanks again! Jill, mother of a 2 year old and a 6 year old! :) (04/05/2008)

By Jill Hart

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Thank you so much! I followed the tip above (2 capfuls of double strength Tide, 1 cup of Oxiclean powder, 1/2 cup of Borax and sprayed all of the articles of clothing down with Shout prior to re-washing on hot water), and I would say at least 90% of the crayon is gone. This seems to work best on denim and 100% cotton. Other items still have a few stubborn spots, so we're going to try WD40 on those. But I'm relieved that most of the load has been saved! (04/22/2008)

By Jenny D

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

This works GREAT! I had melted red crayon all over a load of laundry and I was in a panic. First, I treated with Reslove extra. Next, I turned my hot water up as hot as it would go. Then, I washed the clothes in 2 cups of Stain Dissolving WHISK, 1/2 cup of Borax, and 2 capfuls of liquid Oxi-Clean. I rinsed them twice and they look GREAT! (04/30/2008)

By michele

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I just tried these methods-I am so grateful. A red crayon went through our dryer in a load of white and my daughters brand new uniform shirt was in that load, it all came out. (05/01/2008)

By Amy

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used apple cider vinegar, baking soda and a hot water wash and all is clean. (05/02/2008)

By

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I tried 409 to get crayon that was melted into clothing and it worked great. Spray 409 then use a tooth brush to work the area. I also used it on many every day stains and it worked, it doesn't bleed clothing either. (05/04/2008)

By JOAN

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Thanks everybody for your ideas! I washed my load of red crayon dyed clothes in hot water, extra rinse cycle, with gain detergent, zout stain remover--about 1/2 cup and biz stain remover, about 1/2 cup. The load was almost perfect after one wash, but I washed again, and there is almost no trace of it on most pieces of clothing. I used soft scrub on the dryer drum and it came right off! Thanks again for your ideas. They worked like a charm! (05/10/2008)

By elissa

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Fingernail polish remover worked great in getting the color out of the dryer! (05/19/2008)

By angela

Is it possible to get crayon out of clothes? Crayons were left in the dryer.

Shelba T.

Answers:

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Use WD40, it works like a charm. Used it on my husband's brand new clothes, where a red crayon just happened to appear melted in the dryer. Life Saver. (05/28/2008)

By Sarah

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used Carbona - Color Run Remover and used it in my washing machine with hot water. It worked! All of the crayon came out of my clothes. I did however have a plaid pair of shorts where it came out but the color of the shorts faded a little but everything else came out perfectly. Good luck and don't throw it away until you try "Carbona" I bought mine at the grocery store. it was only $3.00. (06/16/2008)

By Dorothy

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

De-Solv-it is WONDERFUL for removing crayons after the dryer. It will also remove foundation from collars and grease. Some of my friends who are teachers swear by it for chewing gum too. (06/20/2008)

By hollysable

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one to do this! All of our clothes were khaki's and whites. So I filled both kitchen sinks with super hot water and added a generous amount of Dawn dish washing liquid and a scoop of Oxi-Clean. Soaked the clothes for approx. 3 hrs. Then threw them in the washer (hot water) with regular amount of deterrent and approx. 1/3 C. bleach. I couldn't believe it! I already went out and bought replacement clothes and I didn't even need to! (06/25/2008)

By Jhughes

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Oh my gosh! I was so furious when I found crayon melted on the clothes I had in the dryer. Thank goodness I found this website. I tried the soap, vinegar and borax, and guess what? It worked amazingly! So thank you for whoever discovered that concoction!
    (07/05/2008)

By Jamie

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

My daughter had ruined all her jeans by having a red crayon in the washer and dryer. The one pair was covered with red crayon. I used the 20 Mule Borax and Zout and every spot is gone. She will be thrilled! (07/09/2008)

By Angie

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing--THIS IS THE ONE

This is the one! THANKS TO ALL for the input of what to do and what not to--I'll be adding to the list. For us it was an orange crayon on just received hand-me overs from my wife's sister for our young kids. RATS!

This site was my first Google result! ;) Hooray! Clothes were mostly mixture of darks (denim, darker shirts--mixture of fabric types however) Older washer/dryer. I followed the previously mentioned and also modified mixture of:

1. 2 max amounts (line 3) of concentrated Tide
  2. 1 cup Oxiclean
  3. 1/2 cup 20 mule team Borax
  4. 1 cup Shout liquid
  5. 1 cup white vinegar
  6. I went with HOT water (but warm may work and be best for fabrics, see gotcha below). Let this agitate for a minute, then add clothes, agitate for another minute to work through, and soak for about an hour and run on a regular, long cycle with extra rinse.

As was previously mentioned ours too came out 95%+ removed, we did it a second time just to see if it would help, which it did on the crayon and got us to 98% but read on for gotcha.

GOTCHA, even though we knew some things might shrink, I chose HOT water--no not dumb male doing laundry, just trying to save some clothes for someone and figured the extra heat would draw out the oil and melt the wax.

SO 1)Sort by fabric type if desired to allow for doing HOT vs WARM and 2) Sort out the "bleeders" This was the real gotcha that I did forget about especially with the HOT water; ie little red dress, shirt--you get the idea. First soak/wash was fine--but the second we now have a few items to go back and touch up a different way.

Finally, the dryer: Soft Scrub foaming spray took off most of what little (fortunately) crayon residue was there, just a big pain and awkward to do in a small space.

WHEW! What a day. But at least my sweet wife is happier now that she did not ruin a nice gesture from her sister. May it never happen again :O (07/12/2008)

By Thankfully Satisfied

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

My husband and I followed almost all of the suggestions on this page and it made some of the load and got it out of the others. The only thing that kind of scares me is the WD-40 on the dryer drum. After I washed it off and everything all my laundry smells like it is about to catch on fire. I am also worried because WD-40 is flammable and the drum states to not put anything flammable or clothes with things that are flammable liquids on them even if they have been washed. I opened the dryer and it smelled like it was going to catch on fire. I would stated that WD-40 is not the best thing to use. (07/17/2008)

By Julia

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used Dawn Power Dissolver in the dryer to get my black crayon swirl marks and sprayed some on a damp towel. No scrubbing at all! I tried the magic eraser and that didn't work for me and I didn't want the residue of soft scrub in my dryer so I tried this since I know how perfect it cleans my stove top. All I had to do was wipe it clean. It took all of about 15 minutes. Awesome! (07/18/2008)

By Cindi

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used LA Awesome Stain Wash from the 99cent store and it worked wonders; must try! (07/29/2008)

By Vicky N.

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used 2 scoops of Gain, 1 cup of Shout and 1 cup of 20 Mule Borax. Washed the clothes in hot water and let them soak in the hot water for about 1 1/2 hours and rinsed them 3 times and all of the crayon came out! Thank you for this site! (07/31/2008)

By Rose

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

The tip with the vinegar, shout, tide, and oxi-clean worked wonders. I used purex and not the borax. It came out in less than 5 minutes. (08/03/2008)

By april

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I'm using Car Cleaner Wax to get the blue crayon out of my dryer. It's working well. I'm hoping the same will be said when I mix the vinegar soap and try it on the clothes! (08/06/2008)

By Kristen

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I did my laundry today and washed the school bags and jackets of my kids. As far as I know I did check all the pockets but unfortunately, around 4 crayons were still there and only realized when I finished drying them up. All the jackets were splattered with different colors and the bags as well. My dryer looks like a kaleidoscope! Sad to say but I just bought the washer and dryer less than a week. I just wanted to know if anybody can help me with a concoction for HE washers in washing the clothes and for the Dryer. How can I remove all the colors? I hope somebody could help me out especially with the HE washer in removing the stains from my kids bags and jackets. Thanks (08/14/2008)

By Kuracha

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I was AMAZED at how well it worked! We did a whole load of laundry with three crayons in one of the boys' pockets. Our clothes were a rainbow of red, blue and yellow swirls. After using the concoction posted under "This is the one", ALL of the stains came out of the clothes, the one exception being a white jersey-style gym shirt which needed a second cycle to get the heavier spots out. My hat's off to whoever was clever enough to come up with that potion, and bless your heart for sharing it.

As a tip for removing the wax from the dryer, I found it worked well to run the dryer for a few minutes to warm up the wax, then spray a cloth with the Soft Scrub and wipe the drum - you don't need as much elbow grease to wipe the wax off. Also, we found a lot of the wax had "baked" into the enamel, but thankfully it didn't re-release into the clothes. (08/20/2008)

By Very thankful

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Ah! At 10pm tonight I found melted crayon all over in the dryer and lint trap. I looked here for ideas and they were all great! At 10pm though, store are not open here so I looked around the house. As all women do I had finger nail polish remover. I tried it and it worked great! Just wiped right off. Then I threw a few dryer sheets in with a damp old towel and all is as good as new! Thanks to the others who posted. Hope mine helps.(As or the clothes era, white vinegar, rubbing alcohol hot water and the longest running load:) (08/20/2008)

By ANDREA B.

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

7. 2 max amounts (line 3) of concentrated Tide
  8. 1 cup Oxiclean
  9. 1/2 cup 20 mule team Borax
  10. 1 cup Shout liquid
  11. 1 cup white vinegar
  12. What a life saver! I have 3 little dirt balls. LOL My 1st grader left a black crayon in a side pocket of his school uniform. Oy yeah, this was the first week of school so all the uniforms were brand new. So I had 9 khaki uniform pants and 9 polos. That's about $250 worth of new uniforms. I was shaking I was so mad. I have never seen my kids run so fast to bed. I scrubbed and scrubbed to no avail. So I sat down did a quick google search on melted crayons and this was the first site i found. I saw how many great reviews there was and decided to try it. It cost me about $25 for the supplies. (oxiclean was the most expensive) But I think it was worth it. they are soaking now but I noticed a difference after 5 mins.

I can't wait to try it on my husbands work clothes. He's worse than the kids. LOL I couldn't get it all out of my dryer though. White vinegar worked the best, (it's about 90% gone) then I rubbed fabric softener sheets around the drum to rid the sour smell of the vinegar. The crayon stains in the dryer didn't redeposit on my clothes, so it must just be baked in. Someone did post earlier about nail polish remover. I would NOT advise that. It may have worked well but so would gasoline, and unfortunately they would have about the same effects. Remember to be safe and good luck with your stains. (08/21/2008)

By Jackie

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

This absolutely works! I opened the dryer to find a semi-dry load of clothes colored pink from a crayon. I used Borax, laundry detergent, Shout and white vinegar. The clothes were clean in the first wash on hot water. I wiped the dryer down with Johnson's Foaming Scrubbing Bubbles and then tested with a load of rags. Nothing pink! (08/24/2008)

By Emily

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

The tide, oxiclean, borax, shout, & vinegar recipe is most definitely a lifesaver!

Last week I had washed and dried 2 loads of my clothes before realizing that there was a red crayon that somehow made it into the dryer. I tried every idea that was suggested to me, but nothing worked. The crayon wasn't even fading.

So, as usual I turned to my computer & I found this site. I am happy to say that 99.9% of the crayon is completely gone. There is one pair of pants that has a little blotch of red, but I have complete faith that that will clean up perfectly as well. Thanks for a great site and a great recipe that saved me a lot of money.
    (08/25/2008)

By Very Thankful

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I did an entire wash of nothing but jeans for 4 kids. large load, yep. Guess what? RED CRAYON. I found this, and I can't believe my eyes. ALL of the crayon is GONE. NOT A TRACE LEFT. I am very impressed with the "this is the one" recipe. I'm talking, my mind is blown by how well this worked! Thank you so much for being a laundry room scientist for us! You just saved us a ton of money! (09/01/2008)

By eternally thankful

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

This recipe worked wonders! An entire load of my son's clothes were covered in red crayon. I didn't even notice the damage until after they were dried. So, I was unsure that this would work since the crayon was already heat set. But it worked magnificently! I used all ingredients and hot water wash, longest cycle. What a lifesaver! (09/03/2008)

By Alison

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

My son put color crayons in his pockets and YES I didn't realize it until after I dried them and there was orange and brown color crayon all over his new school clothes. I read through all the posts and tried what I had available at home and it worked.

I used: 1 cup of Ecos laundry detergent, 1 cup of borax, 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of shout. Soaked for 2 hours washed and Viola everything was gone! THANK YOU! (09/07/2008)

By Tara H

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Wow! The Shout-Borax-Oxiclean-vinegar worked great. We had red crayon on khaki shirts and pants. One wash did the trick - we presoaked only for about 10 minutes, and it was perfect on the first wash. Neither my husband nor I thought this would work - amazing. (09/07/2008)

By Judy B

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I found this string of posts today after having found the last load of whites came out of the dryer with a nice smattering of bright red hardened crayon.

I used what I have around the house to get it out.

A regular amount of laundry soap (liquid concentrate, designed for cold water), 1 cup of white vinegar, and 3/4 cup of Borax.

I ran this load with hot water, let it soak a few minutes after the agitation cycle, and double rinse.

Anyway, all the crayon is gone, from all of the different fabric types/designs present in that initial load of laundry. So, save your money on doubling up the detergent and using Oxygen based cleaners. Soap, Borax, and vinegar in hot water took it out for me! (09/07/2008)

By Macempire

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

OMG as I sit here and read the comments and all I truly wonder if all these kids are related because my son just did this to me last night. I was sitting here trying to figure out how to save all these clothes then someone had said type it in and all I can say is THANK YOU I'm not the only mom going through this. Any sugguestions on how to get the crayons out of the dryer vent holes? lol It was an entire box that got washed and dried. (09/12/2008)

By Kat

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Thank God for sites like these. I have no clue what Borax is, but I'm going to buy it tomorrow! I have blue and red crayon all over my dress clothes for work, and, my new 450 thread count sheets (HOW my 2yr old's crayons got into the "good" clothes is beyond me)! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (09/21/2008)

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Thank you! I had red crayon melted on an entire load of assorted dark clothes... jeans, shirts, etc. I had to modify the "this is the one" recipe because I felt it would be too much for my HE front loader.
    What I used was:

13. 2 max doses of HE liquid tide
  14. 1/2 lid of liquid Oxyclean
  15. 1/4 cup of Borax
  16. 1/2 cup of liquid Shout
  17. 1/2 cup of vinegar
  18. I mixed these all together since the Borax was a solid and then filled the wash section to the max and poured all of the remaining liquid in the prewash section. I chose pre-soak and second rinse on the heavy duty cycle but only chose warm since I usually wash these clothes in cold water and was worried about shrinkage.

It worked like magic. Everything came out perfect! No red stains, no stains at all! Thank you so much for this recipe.
    (09/22/2008)

By Elaine from Michigan

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Thank you for the ideas here! Part of an orange crayon, in my 5 year old's school pants went through the dryer. The orange spots looked so awful all through the whole load! I almost cried at all the nice things that I thought were ruined. But the recipe, detergent, Shout, Borax, vinegar and OxiClean worked wonders! I'm surprised. Out of the entire load, only item has a few stubborn orange spots -- everything else is perfect again. Thank you! (09/28/2008)

By Jennifer

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I like most of you are now part of the crayon in the dryer club, and like most of you found it at an inopportune time. I searched through the postings here and made the magic potion as directed and am happy so far with my results. I checked my whites after only a few minutes of washing to find my clothes free of stains. Huge kudos to whoever came up with this concoction. Now to get the crayon out of the dryer and find out where my kid is hiding. (09/29/2008)

By Bill

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

This totally worked! I wish I had known sooner. I had to toss two loads of clothes before this one. I used 2 cap fulls of concentrated whisk, 1 cup borax, cup of spray & wash, and 1 cup vinegar. Soaked in HOT water for about an hour washed and rinsed and every single garment was spotless. YAY! I've got to pass this one on! Thanks to whom ever figured this out! (09/30/2008)

By Gina from Mississippi

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

OMG I just did this and it worked so well! I didn't use any exact measurements, just all the ingredients and kinda guesstimated. After my husband's huge freak out this morning that the kids clothes were ruined. I had to try something. I am happy to report to him that ha ha! it worked. He was more than skeptical, but this really works. Just thought I would tell everyone. (10/01/2008)

By So Surprised

How do I get crayon out of already dried clothes?

Pam from Union, MO

Answers:

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I as every other parent with little kids did not one but 2 loads of wash with crayon in pockets of clothes. First load was a blue green crayon and the other was purple. OMG. What a mess. Well first load I came to this great page. Didn't have everything I needed so thought Id use what I had. I have HE washer and dryer.I used oxy dish soap put that on clothes before I washed, vinegar and he power tide and 98% came out.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Second load only a pair of my daughters pants got it thank goodness but boy were they purple. I used all the above but put in my sink. That worked as well.. Thank you! Going to wash loads again when I get everything, Hopefully the little bit that didn't come out will then. (02/28/2009)

By Joanna

How do you get crayon out of clothes that have been washed and dried?

Amber from Lonaconing, MD

Answers:

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I am not kidding you, this just saved me! Bright red crayon all over a load of jeans. New jeans, mind you. There is one little spot about the size of an eraser on a pencil that really got melted into the fabric on one (thankfully old) t-shirt that was in with the jeans. It's still on the shirt, but it came completely off of the jeans! I didn't want to spend the money for the oxy, so I decided to just try the rest of the ingredients, and it worked great. I started with hot water to let it soak in, then washed it in warm water, and rinsed with cold so hopefully any shrinking will be minimal. I used:

• 2 capfuls of Purex detergent (I didn't want to spend the money on the Tide when I already had Purex)
    • 3/4 c. Borax 20 Mule team
    • 1 c. white vinegar
    • 1 c. Shout
    I am going to try the toothpaste idea on the one remaining spot. Wish me luck! (10/15/2008)

By mistie

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I, like many others, have had a crazy night, after finding that my daughter left a red crayon in her pocket.It was everywhere and on everything in a dark load of clothes. Furious to find my new dryer ruined! A whole lot of hours of trying everything from wd-40, Comet, white vinegar, dish liquid, alcohol, to toothpaste and all the household cleaners you can think of, the only thing that got the baked on streaks out of my dryer was Acetone Artificial Nail Remover( test a small area first, the inside of my dryer is metal, I would use caution for a plastic tub).

I even tried acetone polish remover, but it didn't have the same effect. So if you find yourself in this horrible situation, there's hope! I did rinse well after using and let thoroughly dry before drying any clothes. I am currently using the " this is the one " method to save my clothes! This website has given me my sanity back! Thank you all for the info, hope mine can be as helpful to someone! (10/20/2008)

By Joy

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

My son left an entire box of crayons in his pants pocket-you know those little ones you get from restaurants? Well, I had washed and dried the kids' school uniforms (navy pants, white polos and plaid jumpers)-crayons and all. Needless to say, I was looking at $500 worth of ruined uniforms.

Thank goodness I found this site! I can't thank whoever wrote "This Is The One" enough! You are a godsend! 99% of the crayon came out of the polos and 100% came out of the pants/jumpers. I have an HE washer but I followed the directions to the letter and my washer is just fine. I just wanted to thank you again. And the scrubbing bubbles worked on the dryer like a charm, too! Thank you. (10/21/2008)

By E.

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Here is a new one - Mr.Clean Magic Eraser.

After pulling out my daughter's 7 pairs of jeans and finding black crayon all over them, I found this site and I had to wait to wash with the above concoction. I scrambled through my cleaning stuff and thought, it couldn't hurt. Well, with a little water and small amount of scrubbing, voila! Crayon is gone!

Thank you Mr. Clean! Woo Hoo! (11/15/2008)

By Cindy

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

This worked and I didn't have all the ingredients. (This was the second time I had crayon go through the wash and dryer. Just lived with it the first time. WD-40 did not work!)

I soaked my clothes covered with blue crayon marks that had melted in the dryer in 3 capfuls of concentrated Tide, 4-5 BIG scoops of Oxyclean powder, and one cup white vinegar. Used hot water, and let it sit overnight. Figured I'd get the Borax and Shout the next day because I didn't have any in the house. I am still amazed that 99% of the crayon marks came out of everything from jeans to t-shirts to sweat pants! (01/09/2009)

By Gus and Pete's mom

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

All I can say is, amazing! I was so impressed with this recipe. I had an entire load of my 6 yr old daughters clothing that I was getting ready to throw away. It was red crayon, and all over everything. I had to adjust the recipe a little due to the fact that I didn't have any oxyclean. So here is what I did:

• 2 caps ALL liquid 3x ultra
    • 1 cup vinegar
    • 1 cup Borax
    • 1 cup Shout
    • 3/4 cup peroxide
    Filled washer with hot water and added ingredients. Let agitate about 5 minutes to make sure everything was mixed well. Then I added clothes and let agitate for about 5 minutes. Let soak overnight, ran through a rinse cycle. Then washed clothes regularly with detergent and softener only. There is not one single mark of red crayon on her clothes!

I swear by this and am so very glad I found this recipe! Good luck to anyone else with the same troubles. Oh, and for the red crayon in the dryer, I used a Mr. Clean magic eraser and it worked well. (01/31/2009)

By Jodie Indianapolis, IN

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

If you have had a crayon disaster don't panic, this really works. I had a load covered in five different colors that were in my daughter's pocket and went through the washer and dryer. What a disaster! I figured there was no way these clothes could possibly be saved but amazingly they look like new!

We have a front loader HE washer and used the following combination. Put it on prewash, heavy duty cycle and extra rinse. We sprinkled the borax directly into the washer since it is a powder and poured the rest of the liquids into the chamber where the detergent normally goes. Give this a try, it is a miracle!

• 2 max doses of HE liquid tide
    • 1/2 lid of liquid Oxyclean
    • 1/4 cup of Borax
    • 1/2 cup of liquid Shout
    • 1/2 cup of vinegar (02/16/2009)

By SO HAPPY IT WORKED

While visiting my daughter last week, I discovered a trick for getting crayon from clothes. I'd like to pass it on to moms who find out the hard way that crayons in a dryer can ruin a whole load of clothes.The toddler had left one in a pants pocket. Immediately she soaked the clothes in Clorox 2 and left them overnight. However this still didn't get it all out.

My sister told me to use WD 40 on the crayon spots by dabbing it on with a sponge and using a paper towel on top of the stain to absorb the color. Let this sit for several minutes. I left it for 15-20 minutes. Then washed the spot using dish washing liquid. I then washed them in the machine (actually, twice) to get the rest of the stain out.

The bright red crayon stains came out of a pale pink sweatshirt that I thought was ruined. Mineral spirits can also be used in place of the WD 40. The only problem I see with this method is that the smell of the WD40 tends to linger in the clothes, but I feel that, with a few washings, it will lose its scent. I bet many a Mom wished she'd heard about this method before now. Clothes are too expensive to lose.

By Sharon from Ravenna, KY

Feedback:

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I'd email the Crayola Crayon Company. Look on the back of the box and see who the manufacturer is; they probably already have a website on the box. I'd ask them what to do about this problem.

Good luck. (03/07/2009)

By metroplex

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I, like everyone else posting here, had a crayon mishap with the laundry. It was a load of darks with a couple colors mixed in (and a stray white sock) vs. a dark purple crayola crayon. At first I thought the crayon was the victor in the battle of clean stain free laundry. But I found this website via a frantic Google search and found my laundry stain savior.

It didn't completely get the crayon stains out of my favorite shirt. However, it got all the stains out of the rest of the load and even removed set in grease stains that I'd acquired a month or so ago while making dinner while wearing said favorite shirt.

The only "stain" left in the shirt was an oily looking stain on the back/bottom of the shirt, where I think the biggest piece of crayon was sitting. The color was completely dissolved from the stains however, making it far less noticeable than the huge purple marks that were everywhere on the light green shirt. I followed the following recipe with a couple changes due to lack of having the exact ingredients. My changes are in parenthesis.

• 2 max doses of HE liquid tide (I used All Free/Clear)
    • 1/2 lid of liquid Oxyclean (1/4 cup Sun Oxygen Cleaner powder)
    • 1/4 cup of Borax
    • 1/2 cup of liquid Shout (Spray and Wash w/Resolve)
    • 1/2 cup of vinegar

I've now blogged said recipe for laundry saving and also emailed it to everyone that doesn't read my blog that's in my contact list. Can't keep this laundry saver to myself. Thank you all for your suggestions and posting on how you were able to resolve this issue. You all are life savers, and whomever posted the "recipe" the first time, you rock. Thanks again. (05/02/2009)

By winterwhispers

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Being busy with the holiday weekend prep. I threw a load of "good" jeans, not our work pants, not our play pants of course, but our "good" jeans into the washer without checking the pockets. After the cycle was complete, I quickly tossed them over into the dryer, popped it on and walked away. One hour later, I find a total disaster. My youngest son had left, not the typical rock in his pocket, but blue, black, and green crayon bits. All over everything. I felt sick. I quickly jumped on Thriftyfun.com and searched for a remedy. Unfortunately, I didn't have many of things that were listed. I did my best with what I had.

• 1 cup of Tide
    • 1 cup of distilled white vinegar
    • 1 cup of Shout

I washed the jeans on "Heavy" cycle in warm water. I did this twice just for good measure. It was a success. Thank you everyone for so many good ideas. (05/21/2009)

By cbmommy

My daughter's kids put jeans in the washer with crayons. She didn't discover it until the jeans had gone through the dryer as well. It took her hours to clean the dryer, but the jeans still have "set-in" crayon marks. I offered to try to get out the marks, but I need help in doing so. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

By caseye from Plano, TX

Feedback:

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I would never use WD-40 on my children's clothing. However the other suggestion (2c. tide, 1c. Oxiclean, 1/2c 20 Mule team Borax, 1c. shout, 1c. White vinegar) worked like a dream! I am so thrilled because I was about to cry when I pulled out my daughter's beautiful new Gap dress only to find red crayon melted all over it. And red crayon on my son's new shirt from Gymboree, including my pants and shirts from J.Crew. None of which are cheap clothes. Ruined!

I ran to Walmart to get the supplies. I bought off brand oxiclean. Couldn't find Borax, and I had never heard of it before. After searching all over town, I finally found it at Target. I let the clothes soak over night, and every single item is spot free! Thank you to all who posted your responses about how well this worked. I was skeptical to try it, but because of so many responses, I figured, there's no way it doesn't work.

I used a Brillo pad on my dryer drum and it came off in under 5 minutes. It was not hard at all, and came off like an eraser removing pencil. Wonderful!

Try this, and NOT WD-40 (that's not safe for clothing or your dryer). Crayola's suggestion was WD-40, no way I would ever try that. Who ever came up with this magic solution is a genius! I even threw in my shirt that I had on yesterday (my daughter tripped and busted her lip, so while I was comforting her, she got blood all over my shirt), pulled it out this morning, and it was gone. YAY!

Also, it took longer to get the red crayon off of white clothing and the tulle under layers of my daughter's dress. After sitting over night, every single red mark from every item was magically gone.

Another question I had when reading about the solution, was, does this make my clothes/house smell like vinegar? Nope, the smell of the laundry detergent drowned it out, no problem.

Try it. You won't regret it! (11/06/2009)

By sourkats

I would like information on how to get melted crayon out of children's clothes.

By Marlene

Feedback:

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Try putting the clothing in the freezer and when set, scrape off the crayon. (12/10/2009)

By va3pur

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

To my horror today I opened up the dryer to find an entire load of clothes (including several pieces of nice Gymboree kids clothes!) with little red colored specks. I found the culprit in my son's pants pocket. It was a red crayon. I quickly googled to see if I could find a remedy. I found this website and I really appreciate all of the great information listed.

We were hit by a snow storm yesterday so my resources were limited but I did find a solution that worked. I put the clothes in the washing machine and started the hot water cycle. I added 1 box of baking soda, 1/2 cup vinegar, 2 caps full of Clorox, 2 stain fighter/booster, and my laundry detergent. I let the washing machine run for about a minute to mix everything and I let the load soak for about 30 minutes. I then let the wash cycle finish. Yeah! It worked! I was so relieved to see the spots gone! (12/19/2009)

By klee2217

My 5 year old left a brown crayon in one of her pockets. I didn't check her pockets, and when I washed and dried that load of clothes it melted to the side of my dryer. I got it off the inside of the dryer, but it stained several items of clothing in that load.

I need to know how to get it out of the clothes. I really don't want to have to make dust rags out of all of them. Thanks in advance.

By Tammy from Shelby, NC

Feedback:

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I remember my mother getting candle wax out of a table cloth when I was younger. She used brown paper. She put the brown paper over the tablecloth where the wax was and ironed it out. The iron must not steam. The heat melted the wax and the brown paper absorbed it. This she repeated till all the wax was out. (01/15/2010)

By Kleinelly

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

You can remove the crayon easily with Lestoil. Saturate every spot with Lestoil and leave to soak for at least 6 hours. Wash in hot water and detergent. The spots will be gone. (01/16/2010)

By katnsanderson

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 11, 2011
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Girl drawing with crayons on microfiber.
    Removing Crayon From Microfiber
    Making Crayon Rolls
    Making Crayon Rolls
    Picture of crayon stains on a dryer door.
    Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer
    Crayon marks on a wall.
    Removing Crayon From Walls
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:37:48 PM on 10.0.0.187 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings