Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes, Man removing clothes from the dryer.

Reaching into the dryer to remove your laundry only to discover the violet crayon is now decorating your clean clothing is frustrating. This is a guide about removing melted crayon from dried clothes.

Solutions: Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Success Removing Crayon On Clothing

I searched this thread and found this to be the most common successful formula for removing crayon from clothes after going through the washer/dryer, so thought I'd try it. I had red crayon on a whole load of clothes, dozens and dozens of spots. Since it was me and my son's fault, I had to deal with it, sparing my wife the extra work.

I used Extra Detergent (full cap TIDE Free + full cap Tide Stain booster), plus Borax (20 Mule Team, 1 cup), plus Oxyclean (4 scoops of the powder). I soaked the clothes for one hour on the hottest setting on our LG topload He machine, then used the heavy soil wash cycle.

Success! Got out 99% of the crayon with this approach. Found three remaining light spots which I'll try washing a second time, but the vast majority are completely gone. Nice!

My son cleaned the dryer drum with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power, which did the job well. I cleaned the filter with Soft Scrub as others had recommended, on a paper towel, with very hot water, and used a butter knife to wedge the towel into the small spaces. A bit of work, but also successful.

I appreciated the many suggestions here on ThriftyFun, and wanted to pass on what worked for me.

Don't give up, it CAN be done!

By Robbster from Ohio

Tip: Removing Crayon from Washed and Dried Clothes

I never check pockets when I wash clothes, and of course this time I payed the price. I did not realize there was a crayon in a pocket until I dried the load and to my horror saw that I had blue spots on everything. I honestly almost started crying.

I'm so glad I Googled and found this website. I read a lot of ways to help get crayon off, one post said to try LA's Totally Awesome that could be found at a dollar store. Thanks to this tough economy I decided to try this $1.00 product. And let me tell you, thanks goodness for this product.

I soaked the damaged clothes in the washer with hot water (I had a small load of damaged clothes) and poured in half the bottle of LA's Totally Awesome and I let it soak for approximately 30 min. I wanted to be sure the crayon was going to come out so I also scrubbed each piece with a cleaning brush. And wala out came the crayon. I then ran a normal cycle on hot water. Thank you for all the tips. This product will now be a must in my house. Good luck and I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

• 1 half bottle aprox LA's Totally Awesome ($1.00)
  • scrub brush ($1.00)
  • water

1. Soak clothes in washer with hot water and approximately half a bottle of LA's Totally Awesome in washer for about 30 minutes.
  2. Use scrub brush to scrub out crayon.
  3. I poured some more solution directly on spots if they were not coming out.
  4. Add detergent and wash.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes.

Question: Removing Melted Crayon from Fabric

Does anyone know how to remove dried melted crayon off silk/polyester material?

By Candice T.

Question: Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Jeans

How do you remove melted black crayon from denim jeans?

By Shirley G.

Question: Washing Melted Crayons Out of Clothes

If the directions on the clothes call for only cold water, how can I get the melted crayons out? I am desperate! A load of my husband's work clothes (all brand new) got washed and dried with red crayon. Help!

By Bekah

Question: Getting Crayons Out of Washed and Dried Clothes.

How can you get crayons out of washed and dried clothes?

By Cheryl H

Question: Removing Melted Crayon from Clothes

What is the best way to get melted crayon out of your clothes?

By Soraya from Kissimmee

Most Recent Answer

By Dorothy07/02/2012

Place paper towel on the top and under the clothing and iron on it. The paper towel will absorb the liquid from the crayon.

How do I remove stains left by crayons that melted on a load of clothes in the dryer?

By Linda T.

Question: Crayon Stain in Clothes

I washed and dried laundry with crayons. How do you remove these stains?

By Bobbi

Most Recent Answer

By ofarrellsaus04/11/2012

White vinegar and baking soda, make a paste and rub on the item of clothing. Leave it to soak up the stain then put through the washing machine and the stain should be out.

Question: Removing Crayon from Dried Clothes

A brown crayon went through the washer and dryer and now there are spots all over everything! This happened before and I tried spraying with a stain remover and soaking in hot water. Some things came clean, others, not so much. Any better ideas?

By Andrea B.

Question: Removing Melted Crayon from Clothing

How can I remove melted crayon from clothing that has been washed and dried?

By Jeremy

Most Recent Answer

By tasana12/16/2011

Is it crayon stains or crayon pieces melted on the clothing? This is what my mom did when I left crayons in my pocket and she didn't know about it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5563276_remove-clothing-after-washing-drying.html

I washed and dried a crayon and now it is all over the clothes. How do I get it out?

By Mellissa W.

Question: Removing Crayon Stains from Dried Clothing

How do you get crayon out of clothes that have been dried in the dryer?

By Julie

Question: Crayon Melted on Clothing and Clothes Dryer

My grandson left crayons in his clothing and it has left the clothes dryer and clothes full of crayon. How do I remove it from the cylinder in the dryer and also from his clothes?

By KarenF from Lake Worth, FL

Most Recent Answer

By looneylulu06/15/2011

I know this sounds crazy but I'd spray the dryer with WD-40 and wipe down. As for clothes if you take newspaper, lay it over crayon marks using a hot iron run it over the newspaper. As the was in the crayons melts it will be soaked into the newspaper.

Question: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

How do you get melted crayon out of a full load of light clothes that have already gone through the washer and dryer?

By Shellerz from Dsm, IA

Most Recent Answer

By Foxes10/20/2011

LA's Totally Awesome! 1/2 bottle in the prewash compartment and 1/2 bottle in the main wash compartment and then set on the hottest water possible and add the soak phase. Incredible! Worked the first time! I had cotton T-Shirts and a nylon running jacket. I set mine on "Whitest Whites" (extra hot wash) and the "Soak Mode". LA's Totally Awesome can be found at Dollar Tree or Wal-Mart. I've been using it on so many things, including my laundry stains, for a couple of years. I didn't realize it would work on crayons until now!

Question: Black Oil Pastel Crayon on Clothing

I need help! I have dried clothes in my dryer and have found a black oils pastel crayon melted on all of my clothes. Help how do I get them clean. They are brand new!!! I just washed them once.

Debbie in Illinois

Most Recent Answer

By Robin (Guest Post)10/29/2007

Black lipstick washed and dried with clothes. How do you get it off?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: DESPERATE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Here are responses to a user that left crayon in her clothes pockets when doing laundry.

Archive: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I washed and dried a load of whites with a purple crayon. Any ideas how to get the crayon stains out?

Kandy from Phoenix

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Full load of darks washed and dried with brown and red crayon - thought it was a TOTAL loss. For the dryer (which was a lovely shade of pink) tried Mr. Clean's magic eraser, but it didn't work so I tried Soft Scrub . . . success! For the laundry, the 21 Mule Borax in hot water on the longest cycle, worked like magic. Thanks for all of the tips! (08/27/2006)

By Beach

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Thanks Trisha, Steffanie, and "beach"! I soaked our jeans in hot water, laundry detergent, and Borax, and then washed them normally and the clothes are spotless! Also, the toothpaste in the dryer worked for me. And everyone: thank you for the warnings about mixing oxiclean with bleach! (09/06/2006)

By Alison

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used 20 mule borax. I the washed clothes in hot water and let them soak for about 20 minutes. The clothes still had little spots of crayon here and there so I wash them again and the turned out great. THANKS (09/11/2006)

By jay

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Tip on removing the crayon from the dryer drum: Take a bunch of old towls and soak them in water and then throw them in the dryer and run it on the hottest setting. If this doesn't work take WD-40 and Clorox Cleanup and scrub the drumb then run a load of old wet towls through again. (09/28/2006)

By ross

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used hot water in my washing machine to get crayon off of clothes that got put in the dryer. Gain laundry detergent (2 Xs) the regular amount. I also put a full cup of Shout in the washer with hot water and all of the clothes came out clean! What a LIFE SAVER! (11/01/2006)

By Camille

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I washed and dried a whole load of dark clothes (some of them new) and later discovered that a red crayon was in with the wash. I was desparate so I went online. Thank you for the information. I got some Cold Water Tide and used the maximum recommended amount along with a cup of Shout in hot water. Everything came out perfect. Thanks for the information. Even my dry cleaners didn't know what to do. (11/06/2006)

By SHERRY

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Try Baking Soda (8 oz) mixed with detergent and wash with hot water on longest setting. I did this twice and it worked. (11/09/2006)

By Valerie

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

So, yeah, the OXY ORANGE, Double DREFT & BLEACH trick worked. I also soaked them for an hour or so, and washed in HOT water. :) Thanks so much guys! (10/23/2007)

By tina

Recipe for Melted Crayon on Clothing Disaster!

I have 5 kids and I never knew what to do this has been going on for years at our home and all the clothes ended up in the trash. After reading this website I did my own concoction (sp). I put in 1 cup each.... any detergent ( I used the cheapest I could find at Wal-Mart) Oxy Clean ( also used a generic version) Shout White Vinegar I washed everything in hot water and let it soak for about an hour. I rinsed with warm water. Everything came out! I washed the clothes only once! For the dryer I found this method to work best take your kitchen dish rag get it wet and put on a generous amount of liquid dish detergent and throw it in the dryer for 5 minutes. (b)(/b)(b)(/b)(b)(/b)(b)(/b) (10/29/2007)

By Shannon Mee

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

WOW! I'm SO glad I googled how to remove melted crayon on dried clothing!! I washed a load of my teenage daughter's school uniform pants last night, and tossed them in the dryer last night as well. When I unloaded the dryer this morning, I found large splotches of orange, yellow, white and blue crayon on EVERYTHING! I was not happy at all. I was all prepared to go out and spend a couple hundred dollars on new uniform pants for her, then I thought I would google it and see if there were any suggestions and I found this site! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! I already knew how to clean the crayon out of my new dryer, and thanks to the suggestion of 1c. detergent (I used Gain powder) 1c. Oxyclean 1c. white vinegar 1c. Shout Let soak in hot water for an hour, then wash....ALL THE STAINS CAME OUT! My daughter was really happy too, because I was REALLY upset with her. Thanks again for this amazing site and for the suggestions!! You saved my day, my sanity and my credit cards and bank account! (12/01/2007)

By Rhodesgemini

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

While doing laundry today I pull all our brand new christmas clothes out of the dryer and find them to be covered in red and blue crayon. After feeling a little hopeless I got online to try and find a solution. I found the one with the oxy clean and vinegar but I had none of the ingredients so I decided to try something else to soak them in till I got back from the store. To my suprise it worked. All I used was very hot water with 1/2 a cup of LA's Totally Awesome. This was an extremely cheap fix. You can find this cleaner at any Dollar General store for only a couple of bucks. (01/10/2008)

By hotrodgirl07

Can anyone help me with wax crayon stains? I must have left an orange one in my wash and I have tried all the usual stain removers.

Is it possible to get crayon out of clothes? Crayons were left in the dryer.

How do I get crayon out of already dried clothes?

Pam from Union, MO

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I as every other parent with little kids did not one but 2 loads of wash with crayon in pockets of clothes. First load was a blue green crayon and the other was purple. OMG. What a mess. Well first load I came to this great page. Didn't have everything I needed so thought Id use what I had. I have HE washer and dryer.I used oxy dish soap put that on clothes before I washed, vinegar and he power tide and 98% came out.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Second load only a pair of my daughters pants got it thank goodness but boy were they purple. I used all the above but put in my sink. That worked as well.. Thank you! Going to wash loads again when I get everything, Hopefully the little bit that didn't come out will then. (02/28/2009)

By Joanna

How do you get crayon out of clothes that have been washed and dried?

While visiting my daughter last week, I discovered a trick for getting crayon from clothes.