Cleaning Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes

Reaching into the dryer to remove your laundry only to discover the violet crayon is now decorating your clean clothing is frustrating. This is a guide about cleaning melted crayon from dried clothes.

Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes, Man removing clothes from the dryer.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I searched this thread and found this to be the most common successful formula for removing crayon from clothes after going through the washer/dryer, so thought I'd try it. I had red crayon on a whole load of clothes, dozens and dozens of spots. Since it was me and my son's fault, I had to deal with it, sparing my wife the extra work.

I used extra detergent (full cap Tide Free + full cap Tide Stain booster), plus borax (20 Mule Team, 1 cup), plus Oxiclean (4 scoops of the powder). I soaked the clothes for one hour on the hottest setting on our LG topload He machine, then used the heavy soil wash cycle.

Success! Got out 99% of the crayon with this approach. Found three remaining light spots which I'll try washing a second time, but the vast majority are completely gone. Nice!

My son cleaned the dryer drum with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power, which did the job well. I cleaned the filter with Soft Scrub as others had recommended, on a paper towel, with very hot water, and used a butter knife to wedge the towel into the small spaces. A bit of work, but also successful.

I appreciated the many suggestions here on ThriftyFun, and wanted to pass on what worked for me.

Don't give up, it can be done!

By Robbster from Ohio

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I never check pockets when I wash clothes, and of course this time I payed the price. I did not realize there was a crayon in a pocket until I dried the load and to my horror saw that I had blue spots on everything. I honestly almost started crying.

I'm so glad I Googled and found this website. I read a lot of ways to help get crayon off, one post said to try LA's Totally Awesome that could be found at a dollar store. Thanks to this tough economy I decided to try this $1.00 product. And let me tell you, thanks goodness for this product.

I soaked the damaged clothes in the washer with hot water (I had a small load of damaged clothes) and poured in half the bottle of LA's Totally Awesome and I let it soak for approximately 30 min. I wanted to be sure the crayon was going to come out so I also scrubbed each piece with a cleaning brush. And wala out came the crayon. I then ran a normal cycle on hot water. Thank you for all the tips. This product will now be a must in my house. Good luck and I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

• 1 half bottle aprox LA's Totally Awesome ($1.00)
  • scrub brush ($1.00)
  • water

1. Soak clothes in washer with hot water and approximately half a bottle of LA's Totally Awesome in washer for about 30 minutes.
  2. Use scrub brush to scrub out crayon.
  3. I poured some more solution directly on spots if they were not coming out.
  4. Add detergent and wash.

Does anyone know how to remove dried melted crayon off silk/polyester material?

By Candice T.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best way to get melted crayon or wax out if clothes and the quickest is to out the iron on. Wet a facecloth. Put the damp facecloth on the item of clothing with the wax and iron on top of the damp face cloth keep moving the iron around for 30 seconds Wax is then removed.

My grandson left crayons in his clothing and it has left the clothes dryer and clothes full of crayon. How do I remove it from the cylinder in the dryer and also from his clothes?

By KarenF from Lake Worth, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know this sounds crazy but I'd spray the dryer with WD-40 and wipe down. As for clothes if you take newspaper, lay it over crayon marks using a hot iron run it over the newspaper. As the was in the crayons melts it will be soaked into the newspaper.

Read More Answers...

What is the best way to get melted crayon out of your clothes?

By Soraya from Kissimmee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Place paper towel on the top and under the clothing and iron on it. The paper towel will absorb the liquid from the crayon.

I need help! I have dried clothes in my dryer and have found a black oils pastel crayon melted on all of my clothes. Help how do I get them clean. They are brand new!!! I just washed them once.

Debbie in Illinois

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Black lipstick washed and dried with clothes. How do you get it off?

Read More Answers...

I washed and dried laundry with crayons. How do you remove these stains?

By Bobbi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

White vinegar and baking soda, make a paste and rub on the item of clothing. Leave it to soak up the stain then put through the washing machine and the stain should be out.

How can I remove melted crayon from clothing that has been washed and dried?

By Jeremy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is it crayon stains or crayon pieces melted on the clothing? This is what my mom did when I left crayons in my pocket and she didn't know about it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5563276_remove-clothing-after-washing-drying.html

How do you get melted crayon out of a full load of light clothes that have already gone through the washer and dryer?

By Shellerz from Dsm, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

LA's Totally Awesome! 1/2 bottle in the prewash compartment and 1/2 bottle in the main wash compartment and then set on the hottest water possible and add the soak phase. Incredible! Worked the first time! I had cotton T-Shirts and a nylon running jacket. I set mine on "Whitest Whites" (extra hot wash) and the "Soak Mode". LA's Totally Awesome can be found at Dollar Tree or Wal-Mart. I've been using it on so many things, including my laundry stains, for a couple of years. I didn't realize it would work on crayons until now!

Go to your nearest a Dollar Tree or Dollar General and buy a bottle of Awesome. Spray Awesome directly on the dried crayon and soak in hot water. Then use your choice of laundry detergent to pretreat the stain again. After about 10 to 20 minutes put back in machine and wash again. It takes the stains right out

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get crayon out of a toddler's clothes, that have been dried with the crayon?

By Brenda from Seguin, TX

Answers:

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I too had this problem, before OxiClean or Shout were invented. My mom gave me a great idea and it worked. You need a brown paper bag and a warm iron (no steam). Place the paper over the crayon stain and run iron on paper going back and forth. Find clean area of paper and repeat process. The brown paper will absorb the color and grease of the crayon. I even was able to do this on my son's winter jacket. It came out as good as new. Good luck! (03/06/2011)

By Peggy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I remove melted crayon from white clothing after drying?

By Liz from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

S.O.S. pads. This worked so well, so fast, and did not hurt the clothes. Red crayon melted all over pink snowsuit and S.O.S pads took it out, almost effortless! (01/25/2011)

By Tina_c

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get melted crayon out of clothing?

By Donna from Bristol, VA

Answers:

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Try to put ice on it and the peel it off. (11/20/2010)

By Dobbyjack

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I too found a dryer full of jeans and two new work shirts smothered with blue crayon! I tried the Tide/Oxyclean with borax recipe. Instead of Clorox2 I used Vivid and instead of Shout I used Zout. I also used about 6 Shout Color Catchers which absorbed much of the dye. As my work shirts were a lighter cotton I pre-sprayed as much as possible with the Oxiclean blue bottle. I also had to scrub/scrape the worst spots on those. I agitated repeatedly and soaked overnight. I am amazed that the crayon is gone! Thank you to whomever created this recipe. (11/29/2010)

By mcfull

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

The crayon-free shirt! (11/29/2010)

By mcfull

RE: Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I used:

• 1 cup liquid Shout
    • 1 cup powdered Oxiclean
    • 1/2 cup borax
    • 1 cup white vinegar
    • ALL laundry detergent

I soaked the clothes in hot water in the washing machine and it came out perfectly! My entire load of my boys' blue jeans was saved from the red crayon. (12/09/2010)

By skstank

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I was so optimistic after reading these posts, but alas after 12 hours of working on 2 loads of laundry and $40 later, I am throwing out almost all the clothing items affected by an orange crayon that made it through the washer and dryer. The second load was only in the dryer for a few minutes until I found the crayon marks on the first load of clothing. Yes, I did try borax, Tide, Oxiclean, vinegar, multiple spot removers, Dawn dish soap, hot water, presoaking, etc. Ridiculous! I would have felt better if I would have thrown out all the clothes last night. I have no idea how these tricks worked for others. Next time, I'm tossing everything. (12/12/2010)

By jennyhath

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I opened my dryer and to my horror there was green crayon melted all over my kids clothes. This is what I did to get it out and it work!

Before washing I pretreated stains with Zout (off brand Shout). I just sprayed and brushed it in. Then I did a hot prewash using Thirsties cloth diaper prewash (I'm sure any prewash like Clorox 2 would work, I cloth diaper so I had it handy). Warm rinse.
    *This step alone got out the lighter stains.

To wash:

• hot water wash/warm water rinse
    • 2 scoops of Rockin Green Detergent (although a cap of your fave detergent would be fine, I'm sure).
    • 1 cap Oxiclean Max Force Power Gel
    • 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
    • 1 cup Zout (off brand Shout)
    • 1 cup white vinegar

I let the wash cycle start and then turned the washer off and let the clothes soak for 30 minutes before restarting the washer. It worked and I'm very excited! Good luck!
    (12/13/2010)

By stacie7777

Melted Crayon Dried on Clothing

I just pulled all of the clothes out of the dryer. It worked great, the only thing that did not come out was green on the white stripe of nylon basketball shorts.
    (01/10/2011)

By Anonymous

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I clean melted crayon from cotton clothing?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get crayon out of the kids' clothing?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove crayon from clothes that have been run through a dryer?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A crayon got put into my load of lingerie and got dried. So now all of my lingerie has melted crayon stains on it. I don't want to throw away all that lingerie. Please help me.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My 5 year old left a brown crayon in one of her pockets. When I washed and dried that load of clothes it melted to the side of my dryer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like information on how to get melted crayon out of children's clothes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My daughter's kids put jeans in the washer with crayons. She didn't discover it until the jeans had gone through the dryer as well. It took her hours to clean the dryer, but the jeans still have "set-in" crayon marks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

While visiting my daughter last week, I discovered a trick for getting crayon from clothes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get crayon out of already dried clothes?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get crayon out of clothes that have been washed and dried?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is it possible to get crayon out of clothes? Crayons were left in the dryer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can anyone help me with wax crayon stains? I must have left an orange one in my wash and I have tried all the usual stain removers.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I washed and dried a load of whites with a purple crayon. Any ideas how to get the crayon stains out?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here are responses to a user that left crayon in her clothes pockets when doing laundry.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 11, 2011
    Girl drawing with crayons on microfiber.
    Removing Crayon From Microfiber
    Picture of crayon stains on a dryer door.
    Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer
    Crayon marks on a wall.
    Removing Crayon From Walls
    Photo of melted yellow crayon on a car seat.
    Cleaning Melted Crayons Off a Car Seat
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 3:08:00 PM on 10.0.1.65 in 692 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.