Kitten in the Planter Boxes...

Could someone give me some ideas on how to keep our baby kitten out of the planter boxes with flowers. We have taken in a baby kitten (3 mos old) and she loves to get up in my planter boxes on our railings with flowers in them and just sit.

First of all we live on the 2nd floor and am afraid she is going to fall to the ground below. She seems to have no fear of height. Also how do you train a kitten to quit using a planter sitting on our porch for the potty ? I have cat litter in a box for her and she does not seem to understand what it is for.

As you can tell we have never had kittens before only dogs so all of this is new. Long time ago I read where you could put some kind of spice in the flowers to keep out cats...wish now I would have paid more attention...isn't that always the way.

PLEASE send any advise of what I can do....and thank you
- Jodi

One of my cats does the same exact thing. I got really tired of it until I decided to put some rocks in the planter. For something delicate like flowers, I'd go with some gravel. You can also try spraying the plants with Bitter Apple (available in most pet stores) or you can try using a spray of water mixed with red or cayenne pepper. Also to discourage anything you don't want the kitten to do, keep a water bottle handy for quick action. Cats hate getting sprayed in the face with water. Nowadays, I just have to pick it up when they are thinking of doing something naughty and its enough to keep them from getting into trouble.

When you're home, train your kitten by picking her up about ever hour whether she has to go or not, put her in the litter box and take her paw and rub it in the litter- simulating what cats do when they use the litter box. When she goes on the floor or anywhere else, pick her up-show her what she did on the floor, then put her in the litter box and do the same thing again- rub her paw in the litter, etc. Make sure you do not place the litter box too close to her food bowl- cats do not like to go where they eat. Also, do not put the litter box near a high- traffic area where a lot of people are- they like their privacy. There are lots of things you can rub or spray on the plants to keep her off- check the pet stores or online. Spray her with a water gun when she misbehaves. Also, consider adopting a cat from the local shelter. She's probably lonely without any other cats in the house and the older cat can show her what to do. Do not let her outside either- get a screen. If the cats want to go outside, I walk them with a leash like the dogs. That keeps them healthy and fit also. Since you're a first-time kitty owner, I would recommend getting a book.

Cats LOVE high places. Try getting a catbed or nice, comfy pillow or blanket, put catnip on it and place it on a bookshelf or other nice high- but safe place. She'll have an alternative place to hang out.

Kitties do not like citrus scents. I have used orange peels to keep them out of forbidden areas.

Good luck.

- Claudia

A mixture of coffee grounds and cut up orange peels scattered over the soil will keep your kitty from using it as a litter box. This also works well for the garden.

- Susan

First of all I wanted to thank everyone that answered my question about the kitten in the planter boxes. To KIMDEDO..mama kitty took that upon herself to give little one a friend ..8 more little ones. I have called Animal Control which will pick them up and hopefully give them a good home, mama and the babies. Living in an apartment we just cant keep all of them. At least mama kitty knew that they would be safe from any harm which she was right. We had no idea that cats would multipuly so fast..one batch in Jan. and now another in April. Its so funny now the one from the first litter in Jan. watches over the new little ones..big sister I guess..haha Thanks for all your answers ! an yes I will know what to do in the future as you all were so helpful..thanks again all

jodi

Try mixing a little dirt in the litter box.She may just not know that litter is the place to go. The Pet Guy on Martha Stewart's show said to put Foil where you don't want them to go. Apparently they don't like the crackly noise & feel. I haven't tried it but I use water sprays all the time.I even take one in the car as it works on strays as well .

- Linne Dodds

Jodi: get your kitten spayed soon or you will be calling the shelter again soon and the outcome will likely not be good.That's all I can bear to say.

- Linne

Pets CatsMay 1, 2002
Geraniums in old wheelbarrow planter.
Making a Wheelbarrow Planter
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes
🎉
🎄