Laptop for a College Student

I'm wanting to purchase a laptop computer for my son who just graduated from high school, for his future college needs. What are some basic necessities to look for? And how are the wireless expenditures charged? I am clueless!

By ck384 from Huntingtown, MD

Best Answer

HP is a good dependable brand and not too expensive. My husband bought one over the christmas holidays to have for nursing school. He used it during spring semester and loves it! It has a built in wireless card so internet access is very easy. Be sure and get word processing software, such as Microsoft, so your son will be able to type papers and projects on it.

Best Answer

I would definitely involve your son as I am sure he knows exactly what he needs in a laptop and people at Best Buy or other computer stores will talk to you about each feature and allow you to compare prices, etc.

Best Answer

My sons liked Macbooks. You can go to a computer store and talk to the tech guys. They are very helpful.

Apple had tons of discounts and extras that came along with the laptop because my son was enrolled in post-secondary school. This enabled us to buy a really good computer.

What you get depends a lot on what sort of stuff he will need to do on it and your budget.

My laptop is a relatively cheap one, and it's new. I paid $350 for it this past Dec. It's an EEE PC and it works great. It's a 10-inch PC but I don't think it's too small. It only weighs about three pounds, and I love it.

Open Office is an office software program that is free and downloadable from the internet.

Also, Verizon has their mini PC that's a little cheaper (and smaller) than mine and it comes with their 3G network if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Thank you all for your help. My son will definitely be involved in the purchase. I've never purchased a laptop before, and wanted some advice prior to shopping. You all are awesome!

I like hp computers, you can not go wrong with them and they have a good 24/7 support systems, I just want to say all 4 computer I have ever own has all been hp, I broght my 2 daughters a emachine last summer and they were pretty good also. My in-laws have a Gateway and they have had a lot of problem with their system. And if you are going to buy a lap top please buy that extra warrity that they offer.

Young woman at a dorm room desk using a laptop
Buying a Laptop for a College Student
Computers BuyingJune 25, 2009
College Student
Gift Ideas for a College Student
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
Black laptop on a white background.
Buying a Laptop