Buying a Laptop for a College Student

Category Buying
Defining your computer needs is the first step before buying a laptop. This is a guide about buying a laptop for a college student.

I'm wanting to purchase a laptop computer for my son who just graduated from high school, for his future college needs. What are some basic necessities to look for? And how are the wireless expenditures charged? I am clueless!

By ck384 from Huntingtown, MD

Answers

Best Answer

HP is a good dependable brand and not too expensive. My husband bought one over the christmas holidays to have for nursing school. He used it during spring semester and loves it! It has a built in wireless card so internet access is very easy. Be sure and get word processing software, such as Microsoft, so your son will be able to type papers and projects on it.

Best Answer

I would definitely involve your son as I am sure he knows exactly what he needs in a laptop and people at Best Buy or other computer stores will talk to you about each feature and allow you to compare prices, etc.

Best Answer

My sons liked Macbooks. You can go to a computer store and talk to the tech guys. They are very helpful.

Apple had tons of discounts and extras that came along with the laptop because my son was enrolled in post-secondary school. This enabled us to buy a really good computer.

What you get depends a lot on what sort of stuff he will need to do on it and your budget.

I need a laptop for college so I can carry it with me. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could find an affordable laptop? I can't afford a new one.

- Emily

Answers:

Laptop for College Student

To locate an inexpensive laptop for college, check the yellow pages of the phone directory for computer stores. Often the smaller stores will sell used computers. Our town has a store that only sells used ones. The company's main business is servicing large corporations and sells the left overs after the corporations upgrade computers. (05/23/2002)

By admin

Laptop for College Student

I have two suggestions for you. First, my husband works for a corporation that likes to keep current on the latest technology. When they upgrade computers or PDAs, they often will sell the older equipment to employees at a reduced rate. The equipment is still good, just maybe not the "latest and greatest". Talk to people you know who might be able to take advantage of a similar opportunity. Second, check out eBay for some great deals on computers and equipment. Just be sure to check the feedback of the seller to make sure you are buying from a reputable source. Good luck! (05/24/2002)

By nicoleellison

Laptop for College Student

Emily, get a copy of Computer Shopper Magazine and look up the True Data Products ad. Maybe they are on the web, I don't know. My brother got one from eBay. Also check Computer Surplus Outlet, they are online. Check Half.com & Overstock.com too. I got my refurbished desktop at PCMall.com. - (05/30/2002)

By admin

Laptop for College Student

Also, a pawn shop is a good place to look. Never know what you might find there. (05/30/2002)

By rachelglogan

Laptop for College Student

Fair warning, watch what you are doing on ebay. Not the site itself but what you are buying. My friend ordered a computer from a place called Bare Bones and that's exactly what it was. She spent more money trying to actually have a working computer. Finally gave up and bought one in our local area. (05/30/2002)

By AZLEADFOOT2

Laptop for College Student

Try ecampus.com. The graphic says they start at $499, but I've seen a few even cheaper than that. If they don't have what you are looking for check back, often they get new stuff in. (06/07/2002)

By admin

Laptop for College Student

Try to look for a Compaq Presario notebook. Those are generally inexpensive. The one I noticed online was about 450 dollars. Not too expensive, compared to the general laptops commonly sold. Hopefully, that helps. (07/28/2007)

By Ryan