Getting Rid of Fleas

Category Fleas
Fleas reproduce very quickly so it is best to get rid of them as soon as you become aware of them. Not only do you need to get them off your pets, you need to get rid of them in your home too. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas.

We had a flea problem inside and outside our home. A friend of mine gave me a bucket of diatomaceous earth or also called DE. She bought it from the local feed store.

My friend uses it on her livestock, as well as, in her food to keep her wheat berries that she grinds in her mill pest free. It coats the wheat berries, but since it's food safe it's okay that she consumes it.

Make sure the kind you buy is food safe. Some pool companies sell it, but that is NOT the kind I am talking about. When you touch it, it feels like chalk. Its abrasiveness is what kills fleas, ants, cockroaches, and more. It dries them up from the inside out! It is not a chemical and is safe to use in the garden as well!

It is recommended that when you use it wear a mask to avoid breathing in the dust.

How to use: I reused an old baking powder container as it had tiny holes in the container. I sprinkled it lightly into our carpets to let it settle down and then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then, I vacuumed it up. Don't worry about trying to get it all out. The DE will work its way down into the carpet fibers and there will do its work. Anytime a pest comes into contact with it, it will dehydrate them.

One application lasts about a year. It is safe around pets and children. We have not had a single flea found inside or outside our home since. I also used it around our home to get rid of the many ant hills in our yard.

Because it's also food safe, I sprinkle about a half teaspoon in our cat's food dish. When they consume it, it also kills internal parasites.

I called the feed store to see how much it was and they sell a 50 pound bag for $20. It may vary in your neighborhood, but just to give you an idea. The bag she bought has lasted her 7 plus years and the ice cream bucket size she gave me hardly looks touched. A little bit goes a long way.

DE has many more uses. Go here to read more about it. This link (of which I am not affiliated with) has good information: wolfcreekranch

By tasana from MO

Diatomaceous earth is great, BUT, I find that when even a bit of it remains in a piece of furniture or in anything or anywhere in the room, it's hard to breathe.

Editor's Note: Most veterinarians do not advocate the use of garlic with pets as it can be toxic, especially to small breeds. Please consult with your own vet before trying this home remedy.

• 1 cup cooked hamburger meat
  • 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast
  • 1 clove of fresh garlic, chopped
  • 1 raw egg

Directions:

Cook hamburger meat in skillet until browned, set aside to cool. Combine egg, garlic, and brewer's yeast. Add to hamburger meat, stir until blended well. Feed to dog.

Note: They love it! Use once a month to control fleas and ticks.

By DeAnn C.

Under NO circumstances should you ever feed dogs or cats garlic or onions in any quantity. Both are extremely toxic and can be fatal even in small amounts. Even if your dog or cat may have eaten some in the past with no adverse effects, every single time you do it you are playing Russian Roulette with their lives. This is a completely unsafe way to control fleas and downright irresponsible. Their are many, many known safe ways control fleas on your pets, this is not one of them.

No respected vet would ever advocate this as we are very aware of the consequences. Treating an animal that is fighting for its life or having them die because their owner gave them garlic/onions is not a pleasant part of the job and happens far more frequently than you may think.

Raw eggs are not advisable either. Many people give their dogs raw eggs with no ill effects but there is always a risk of Salmonella or E. coli poisoning which can also be fatal. It's really not worth taking the chance. As the owner of this blog you should really remove this particular part of the post - the advice is dangerous.

Here is one to try for fleas. Take any kind of baby wipes (mark wipes container for pet use only) and add just 1/4 cup of Skin So Soft to the wipes container. This can be used daily for either cats or dogs.

I finally called the vet today to tell him how bad they are and we have killed some, but they still hatch out daily. Vet's advice: boric acid for inside, Adams Yard Spray to attach to garden hose to spray under our house, and Diatomite for a perimeter around house.

After treating your dogs, you have to do something to discourage and kill those pesky fleas from hanging around in your yard. I buy the cedar chips and sprinkle it all over the yard

Spring is here and flea and tick season will soon be in full swing. I see many people writing in and asking what to do to avoid buying the medicine that the vet prescribes for keeping them away from their animals and subsequently, out of their homes. . .

My Dog is Infested With Fleas

This is a guide about my dog is infested with fleas. Fleas left untreated can infest your pet and then your home.

Orange tabby scratching at fleas inside of house

This is a guide about my home is infested with fleas. Even if you do not personally have pets, your home can still become infested with fleas that you need to get rid of.

Magnified Image of a Flea against a white background

This is a guide about borax for fleas. Pet owners are frequently searching for alternatives to commercial chemical products for controlling and eliminating fleas.

Magnified flea against a white background

This is a guide about getting rid of fleas in an apartment. Whether your pet has picked up fleas or they were resident in your new apartment before you moved in it can be a chore to get rid of them.

Here are listed the many recipes, cures, treatments for flea infestation that I could find. This may sound like a weird subject for a recipe site, however, this can be a very serious problem.

Link: http://www.angelfire.com/ms/familydownhome/fleas.html

If you are in the country and find you have fleas, add Sergents to Original Irish Spring. You will see that both are the same color and basically the same thickness.

kitten with fleas

This is a guide about getting rid of fleas on kittens. While topical flea treatments are readily available for older cats, young kittens will require alternative methods to rid them of these biting pests.

Borax has a skull and crossbones on it for a reason. It is very dangerous to animals. Please remember that our pets are so much closer to the ground than we are and that they have to lick themselves to get clean.

For a contact flea control in your yard, a pest control product called Evercide works great.

I have 3 cats and a dog. The fleas are in the house everywhere and everytime we get the fleas off of one animal the dog brings them back in from our huge front yard.

By Brad

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I will tell you three things to do to get a hold of this situation:

First: Vacuum the carpet and then empty the bag or plasic bowl out somewhere outside into a bag and tie it so the critters don't get out.

Second: Get plain old table salt in the cylinder. Pour some in your hands and sprinkle everywhere with it. (Not the pet)

I always put it under cushions all on the floor, and even brush it down into the rug even though I don't brush it in it falls in by itself. Leave it for a day or two and then vacuum up and do it again until your fleas are gone.

Third: If you have a vacuum with a plastic pull out bucket like I do, put a flea collar in the vacuum bag or bucket.

Fourth Change the food your cats are eating. If you are feeding them cheap food with fillers in them they will attract fleas like crazy. It is because the animals immune system is compromised when given corn and by products.

I am feeding, right now, One Smartblend Chicken and Rice formula but there are lots of great cat foods with great ingredients at farm supply stores like Tractor Supply.

Also look on amazon.com and look cat flea treatments, and you will find a bunch of things you can try.

Mainly try to keep the floor vacuumed up, and a bad infestation would mean vacuuming and then sprinkling the salt again letting the salt stay for a day each time.

Don't forget to sprinkle under your sheets, on the mattress and around the bed.

I have read about putting bowls of water with a little soap on them and having a flashlight or nightlight shine on the water.

Let me know how it goes. I am actually giving this product a try. I got it in the mail today.

http://www.amaz  4PG17WBJWP74CDX8

My neighbor is setting off a flea bomb; do I need to leave my apartment with my cat or is it safe to stay?

The bomb is not in your house. If it were, you would have to leave for 8 hours. I would open windows either a little or a lot,

depending on the weather, for ventilation.

We recently moved in with a friend and they have 3 dogs, a Pit Bull and two smaller dogs. The entire house is full of fleas. I have tried washing the animals in Dawn and spraying the whole house with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice with water and nothing I've tried is helping. You can't even sit on the furniture without being covered in fleas. I have a two year old and a 9 month old please help?

Diatomaceous earth may help in some situations, however, do not use anywhere near babies and toddlers! It kills bugs by causing the bug exoskeletin to dry out and the bug dies. Kids and babies can breath the dust in affecting their lungs, as well as creating skin problems.

I have recently discovered fleas in my house. I am treating my pets and house at the same time. I have 3 cats that sleep wherever they want. I need to find something to kill the fleas in my closets because there are too many places for them to hide where I might not be able to get them all, ie. my suitcases, shoes, and laundry baskets.

If I put mothballs in them up off the floor where my cats won't get them will they still kill the fleas? Would this work under my beds also? My cats cannot get under my beds to the moth balls. Also, if I use mothballs how many do I need to use?

Please help. I have had cats all my life and never ever had fleas in my house, or fleas on my pets, that one flea bath didn't take care of. I'm going on the 3rd week of flea baths and they are also wearing flea collars and nothing is helping there either.

Unfortunately, the only effective way to avoid fleas in the home is to either not have pets or have only inside pets; humans can bring fleas inside also. Cats and dogs carry fleas from the outside-other animals, yards, etc., and then bring fleas and flea eggs into the house. You can kill the existing live fleas but the eggs survive easily and a female flea can lay 50-60 eggs per day!

If you find live fleas in your house, you will also find flea eggs in the thousands in your house, as well. Flea eggs are very hard to kill as they are tiny and do not stick to anything; even an insect bomb is useless against the eggs.

So, essentially, you are always fighting an uphill battle against fleas. You can spray a chair or sofa and kill some fleas, however, in minutes or hours, new flea babies are born on a sofa or your pet climbs on the chair and leaves new live fleas and flea eggs.

The best flea guard you can achieve with pets is to maintain them inside only, keep up with prescription flea medication, if needed, and spray the furniture, etc., when you see fleas. The only way you can win (mostly) a flea battle is: no pets.

*

My husband is an entomologist so I speak with first hand knowledge and experience.

The first and very important step is to take your pet to your veterinarian to make certain the only problem is fleas. There are many other medical problems that could be affecting your pet in addition to a flea infestation.

The humble cat (cat, dog, etc.) flea is one of the most abundant and widespread species on Earth. You may have noticed that your dog and cat often choose different places to sleep in your house and outside. Your cat may have five or six favorite inside spots (usually in the sun) and outside even more. Many animals choose several places to sleep to avoid fleas. They might sleep in one spot for a few days and then another for a day or two. This sleep pattern breaks the flea life cycle and does reduce the effectiveness of flea attacks as adult fleas only live for a few days. However, some can live up to one hundred days in a good food environment. As you will see, the flea has a complicated life and you and your pet are invited!

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house hatched from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet. Flea eggs are tiny and opaque white or almost colorless. The fleas you may see on your cat or dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatched into fleas and jumped back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea feces.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off into your house and outside so, either way, your dog or cat will then again attract the immature and adult fleas both inside and outside which are the children from flea parents that may still be living on your cat or dog.

Any dish detergent bath may wash away or possibly kill some fleas on your pet, however, not all fleas are killed. In a bath many migrate up to the head and ear area and then, once the bath is over, travel back to their favorite spots, usually on the back. If you use dish detergent, you can seriously dry the animals skin and may cause skin rashes, an allergic reaction, etc., and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that exist all the time in your house and outside hatch and then jump back onto your dog or cat (and you!). So, you and your pets are locked into the everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your dog a bath.

The only way you will become flea free is to treat the cats/dogs and your home with flea killers. It will take time for the flea treatments to work and money for the medications. I strongly suggest having the cats/dogs checked for fleas and any other medical problems and then treat them with prescription medication. Over the counter flea products are not strong enough to deal with the uncontrolled flea infestation in the house.

http://www.theb  et-rid-of-fleas/

*

I read the post about the mosquito trap and wonder if something like that would work for fleas. My sister has an infestation of fleas that she cannot get rid of.

By K Callahan

Best Answer

Fill pie tins with water and a squirt of dish soap. Instead of pie tins you can use any shallow bowl. Instead of dish soap you can use any soap. Put night lights or small lamps next to each bowl. Use very low wattage bulbs, like those in night lights, or Christmas lights. You can use extension cords with the night lights if you want to place the bowls somewhere that is not close to an outlet.

If fire is not a concern, you can even use floating candles or candles in a holder that will sit inside the middle of the dish. The fleas will jump to the light and fall into the soapy water and die.

You will see a lot of fleas at first and then as the population goes down you will see fewer and fewer fleas until they are all gone. Use just a small squirt of soap. You don't want to see soap bubbles. The soap breaks the surface tension of the water so the fleas cannot stay on top of the water.

If you have pets who might want to drink the water you can put the tins in a bird cage or dog crate on the floor. You can use any type of caging. The fleas will only come to the bowls at night. Make sure the lights are dim like a nightlight. If the whole room is lit up the fleas will not know where to go.

As the fleas start to diminish you may still have fleas hiding in the woodwork. Vibrations make the fleas come out. You can use a vacuum cleaner which will cause vibrations in the floor, or just stomp around a lot before you go to bed.

Make sure that you take all the sheets off your bed once in a while to let any fleas that are trapped underneath get out. After bombing three times without success this is the only thing that worked for me. I'm not sure if the fleas are jumping towards the heat or the light. Nightlights worked fine for me. Let us know how you do.

I have a Lab who is covered in fleas and my home is all hardwood floors. I have read about salt working to kill the fleas in your carpet. I vacuum every day. Can I still use the salt on wood floors?

By Heather

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You can use borax on anything, even grass outside. Wash dog bedding with it too. 20 Mule Team Borax works wonders in the yard. Dawn dish detergent will kill them on your dog - just bathe with a big lather you leave on a few minutes, rinse, and if it has dry skin, use hair conditioner afterwards.

How do I get rid of fleas? I've tried everything and am lost. My 5 pound Miniature Pinscher has fleas and I can't bear to see her go through any more. Suggestions please. :)

Comfortis works sometimes. I tried Comfortis Generic which can be gotten off the internet. And it DID NOT WORK AT ALL. The tough part is begging your vet for a prescription for Comfortis. Especially if the vet does not sell it. I am a multi-pet person. This treatment is very expensive and you still need to treat the house. I also have birds. And a 3400 Sq. ft. house. Fleas can be a nightmare and you need to treat everything, check the safety of what you are using, and you may need to use more than one or two products at a time. Get an early start when fleas appear!

My cat ha been sneaking outside and bringing a lot of fleas into the house. What are the best home remedies for a very bad case of fleas?

It is almost impossible to get rid of fleas from your house. They are tiny but a pain, as well as the itch! The following answer is a bit lengthy but explains why fleas will always be a problem. It also explains what you can try to keep ahead of fleas in your house.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your cat or dog a bath.

http://www.theb  et-rid-of-fleas/

I keep getting bitten. I'm a diabetic and this is not a good thing.

By VickieBerry from Madison,TN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

We have had an abundance of fleas too this year. Rid A Bug makes a flea spray you can use on furniture and on dogs, that works very well. Also, you can sprinkle either salt or borax on your carpets and leave overnight, then vaccuum next day, which will kill and vaccuum up the fleas. Borax works great in the yard too, to kill the fleas. That is the main ingredient in yard flea stuff you would buy. Meanwhile, spray down with Skin So Soft bath oil and follow up with their lotion, and you won't get bitten. I have used 2 24oz bottles spraying myself and my dogs this summer. A stray cat just keeps bringing them to us.

Our dog, Maggie (Yorki-poo) has fleas and skin allergies. We've taken her to her vet. He gave her an injection + Prednisone. And prescribed 1/2 a pill of Pred every other night. This was about 1 1/2 months ago. They gave us another round of (Pred). She still has fleas. We've sprayed the yard at least 3 times; also inside the house, furniture, drapes, everything. Can you tell me anything else we can do? These vet visits are getting really expensive and I hate seeing her so miserable. Please if you can tell us anything else I would so appreciate it. Our kids, grands, and great grands won't come until they are gone. I miss them all so badly.

By doodle-bug from Southern IN

Food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) is a natural substance. Sprinkle this on your pet, avoiding eyes and nose. Sprinkle it where you and your pet enter and exit the home, as well as on furniture, between cushions, etc. Hardwood is best: if you have it mop frequently. Carpeting: vacuum at least daily, getting rid of the bag/what's been vacuumed immediately in a secure bag.

Vigilence and persistence will help. You really have to work at getting rid of these for your poor little pet's life! Use a yard spray when your pet has just come in for the night so that it works overnight and does not poison your pet.

Load More