Getting Rid of Fleas

Fleas reproduce very quickly so it is best to get rid of them as soon as you become aware of them. Not only do you need to get them off your pets, you need to get rid of them in your home too. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas.

December 16, 2011 Flag

We had a flea problem inside and outside our home. A friend of mine gave me a bucket of diatomaceous earth or also called DE. She bought it from the local feed store.

My friend uses it on her livestock, as well as, in her food to keep her wheat berries that she grinds in her mill pest free. It coats the wheat berries, but since it's food safe it's okay that she consumes it.

Make sure the kind you buy is food safe. Some pool companies sell it, but that is NOT the kind I am talking about. When you touch it, it feels like chalk. Its abrasiveness is what kills fleas, ants, cockroaches, and more. It dries them up from the inside out! It is not a chemical and is safe to use in the garden as well!

It is recommended that when you use it wear a mask to avoid breathing in the dust.

How to use: I reused an old baking powder container as it had tiny holes in the container. I sprinkled it lightly into our carpets to let it settle down and then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then, I vacuumed it up. Don't worry about trying to get it all out. The DE will work its way down into the carpet fibers and there will do its work. Anytime a pest comes into contact with it, it will dehydrate them.

One application lasts about a year. It is safe around pets and children. We have not had a single flea found inside or outside our home since. I also used it around our home to get rid of the many ant hills in our yard.

Because it's also food safe, I sprinkle about a half teaspoon in our cat's food dish. When they consume it, it also kills internal parasites.

I called the feed store to see how much it was and they sell a 50 pound bag for $20. It may vary in your neighborhood, but just to give you an idea. The bag she bought has lasted her 7 plus years and the ice cream bucket size she gave me hardly looks touched. A little bit goes a long way.

DE has many more uses. Go here to read more about it. This link (of which I am not affiliated with) has good information: wolfcreekranch

By tasana from MO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

February 23, 2005 Flag
Editor's Note: Most veterinarians do not advocate the use of garlic with pets as it can be toxic, especially to small breeds. Please consult with your own vet before trying this home remedy.

• 1 cup cooked hamburger meat
  • 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast
  • 1 clove of fresh garlic, chopped
  • 1 raw egg

Directions:

Cook hamburger meat in skillet until browned, set aside to cool. Combine egg, garlic, and brewer's yeast. Add to hamburger meat, stir until blended well. Feed to dog.

Note: They love it! Use once a month to control fleas and ticks.

By DeAnn C.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 14 Comments

May 20, 2010 Flag

Here is one to try for fleas. Take any kind of baby wipes (mark wipes container for pet use only) and add just 1/4 cup of Skin So Soft to the wipes container. This can be used daily for either cats or dogs. Be careful around the face area. I used this trick when I was a dog groomer.

By Theresa from Aston, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

May 14, 2010 Flag

Well, it's Springtime which means it's also flea season in central Florida. We bought store brand flea poison from Wal-Mart for the sprayer and have sprayed twice a day for 3 weeks around the house and sprayed indoor flea spray in the house for the same amount of time. We treated our cat twice this month (with vet's knowledge and advice). We are still overrun with fleas.

I finally called the vet today to tell him how bad they are and we have killed some but they still hatch out daily. Vet's advice: boric acid for inside (rugs and tile), Adams Yard Spray to attach to garden hose to spray under our house, and Diatomite (aka diatomaceous earth) for a perimeter around house. We just finished with our 4-prong assault against fleas! I will post again next week for an update. Good luck to all who are facing same problem.

By Lynda from Tampa Bay, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

September 22, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about my dog is infested with fleas. Fleas left untreated can infest your pet and then your home.

My Dog is Infested With Fleas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 15, 2012 Flag

After treating your dogs, you have to do something to discourage and kill those pesky fleas from hanging around in your yard. I buy the cedar chips and sprinkle it all over the yard

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 10, 2006 Flag

Spring is here and flea and tick season will soon be in full swing. I see many people writing in and asking what to do to avoid buying the medicine that the vet prescribes for keeping them away from their animals and subsequently, out of their homes. . .

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 3, 2004 Flag

Here are listed the many recipes, cures, treatments for flea infestation that I could find. This may sound like a weird subject for a recipe site, however, this can be a very serious problem.

Link: http://www.angelfire.com/ms/familydownhome/fleas.html

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 13, 2005 Flag

Borax has a skull and crossbones on it for a reason. It is very dangerous to animals. Please remember that our pets are so much closer to the ground than we are and that they have to lick themselves to get clean.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 8, 2009 Flag

If you are in the country and find you have fleas, add Sergents to Original Irish Spring. You will see that both are the same color and basically the same thickness.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 30, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about getting rid of fleas on kittens. While topical flea treatments are readily available for older cats, young kittens will require alternative methods to rid them of these biting pests.

kitten with fleas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 31, 2007 Flag

For a contact flea control in your yard, a pest control product called Evercide works great.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 12, 2015 Flag

We recently moved in with a friend and they have 3 dogs, a Pit Bull and two smaller dogs. The entire house is full of fleas. I have tried washing the animals in Dawn and spraying the whole house with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice with water and nothing I've tried is helping. You can't even sit on the furniture without being covered in fleas. I have a two year old and a 9 month old please help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Diatomaceous earth may help in some situations, however, do not use anywhere near babies and toddlers! It kills bugs by causing the bug exoskeletin to dry out and the bug dies. Kids and babies can breath the dust in affecting their lungs, as well as creating skin problems.

October 1, 2016 Flag

I have recently discovered fleas in my house. I am treating my pets and house at the same time. I have 3 cats that sleep wherever they want. I need to find something to kill the fleas in my closets because there are too many places for them to hide where I might not be able to get them all, ie. my suitcases, shoes, and laundry baskets.

If I put mothballs in them up off the floor where my cats won't get them will they still kill the fleas? Would this work under my beds also? My cats cannot get under my beds to the moth balls. Also, if I use mothballs how many do I need to use?

Please help. I have had cats all my life and never ever had fleas in my house, or fleas on my pets, that one flea bath didn't take care of. I'm going on the 3rd week of flea baths and they are also wearing flea collars and nothing is helping there either.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unfortunately, the only effective way to avoid fleas in the home is to either not have pets or have only inside pets; humans can bring fleas inside also. Cats and dogs carry fleas from the outside-other animals, yards, etc., and then bring fleas and flea eggs into the house. You can kill the existing live fleas but the eggs survive easily and a female flea can lay 50-60 eggs per day!

If you find live fleas in your house, you will also find flea eggs in the thousands in your house, as well. Flea eggs are very hard to kill as they are tiny and do not stick to anything; even an insect bomb is useless against the eggs.

So, essentially, you are always fighting an uphill battle against fleas. You can spray a chair or sofa and kill some fleas, however, in minutes or hours, new flea babies are born on a sofa or your pet climbs on the chair and leaves new live fleas and flea eggs.

The best flea guard you can achieve with pets is to maintain them inside only, keep up with prescription flea medication, if needed, and spray the furniture, etc., when you see fleas. The only way you can win (mostly) a flea battle is: no pets.

*

My husband is an entomologist so I speak with first hand knowledge and experience.

The first and very important step is to take your pet to your veterinarian to make certain the only problem is fleas. There are many other medical problems that could be affecting your pet in addition to a flea infestation.

The humble cat (cat, dog, etc.) flea is one of the most abundant and widespread species on Earth. You may have noticed that your dog and cat often choose different places to sleep in your house and outside. Your cat may have five or six favorite inside spots (usually in the sun) and outside even more. Many animals choose several places to sleep to avoid fleas. They might sleep in one spot for a few days and then another for a day or two. This sleep pattern breaks the flea life cycle and does reduce the effectiveness of flea attacks as adult fleas only live for a few days. However, some can live up to one hundred days in a good food environment. As you will see, the flea has a complicated life and you and your pet are invited!

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house hatched from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet. Flea eggs are tiny and opaque white or almost colorless. The fleas you may see on your cat or dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatched into fleas and jumped back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea feces.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off into your house and outside so, either way, your dog or cat will then again attract the immature and adult fleas both inside and outside which are the children from flea parents that may still be living on your cat or dog.

Any dish detergent bath may wash away or possibly kill some fleas on your pet, however, not all fleas are killed. In a bath many migrate up to the head and ear area and then, once the bath is over, travel back to their favorite spots, usually on the back. If you use dish detergent, you can seriously dry the animals skin and may cause skin rashes, an allergic reaction, etc., and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that exist all the time in your house and outside hatch and then jump back onto your dog or cat (and you!). So, you and your pets are locked into the everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your dog a bath.

The only way you will become flea free is to treat the cats/dogs and your home with flea killers. It will take time for the flea treatments to work and money for the medications. I strongly suggest having the cats/dogs checked for fleas and any other medical problems and then treat them with prescription medication. Over the counter flea products are not strong enough to deal with the uncontrolled flea infestation in the house.

http://www.theb  et-rid-of-fleas/

*

August 20, 2015 Flag

How do I get rid of fleas? I've tried everything and am lost. My 5 pound Miniature Pinscher has fleas and I can't bear to see her go through any more. Suggestions please. :)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Comfortis works sometimes. I tried Comfortis Generic which can be gotten off the internet. And it DID NOT WORK AT ALL. The tough part is begging your vet for a prescription for Comfortis. Especially if the vet does not sell it. I am a multi-pet person. This treatment is very expensive and you still need to treat the house. I also have birds. And a 3400 Sq. ft. house. Fleas can be a nightmare and you need to treat everything, check the safety of what you are using, and you may need to use more than one or two products at a time. Get an early start when fleas appear!

June 25, 2013 Flag

I have a Lab who is covered in fleas and my home is all hardwood floors. I have read about salt working to kill the fleas in your carpet. I vacuum every day. Can I still use the salt on wood floors?

By Heather

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use borax on anything, even grass outside. Wash dog bedding with it too. 20 Mule Team Borax works wonders in the yard. Dawn dish detergent will kill them on your dog - just bathe with a big lather you leave on a few minutes, rinse, and if it has dry skin, use hair conditioner afterwards.

September 3, 2015 Flag

My cat ha been sneaking outside and bringing a lot of fleas into the house. What are the best home remedies for a very bad case of fleas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is almost impossible to get rid of fleas from your house. They are tiny but a pain, as well as the itch! The following answer is a bit lengthy but explains why fleas will always be a problem. It also explains what you can try to keep ahead of fleas in your house.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your cat or dog a bath.

http://www.theb  et-rid-of-fleas/

September 17, 2016 Flag

My neighbor is setting off a flea bomb; do I need to leave my apartment with my cat or is it safe to stay?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2013 Flag

I have 3 cats and a dog. The fleas are in the house everywhere and everytime we get the fleas off of one animal the dog brings them back in from our huge front yard.

By Brad

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Depending on where you live, you probably have an infestation of sand fleas in your yard.

The only way to keep the fleas off your pets and out of the house is to treat yard, house, and pets on a regular basis - usually once every three-four weeks.

You can buy a mixer-spray (look for one that holds two gallons of water because it will save you time and the hassle of reloading too often during the spraying session), and a large bottle of concentrated Liquid-Sevin at most of the big-box discount stores or feed ' seeds. Also at Tractor Supply.

Follow the pesticide labelled directions to the letter for best results and to avoid killing off beneficial insects like bees.

Or you can contract with a pest control firm to come out once a month. I have done it myself for so long (since the late 80s) that I have no idea what the current cost is but if you are not comfortable doing the spraying yourself, the companies are a very good deal considering.

Either way it can seem a little expensive (the sprayer and concentrate will set you back around $75USD, with the concentrate lasting about three months and then needing replacement at about $25 a bottle) but then so are the vet bills from flea induced worms in your pets and family members.

May 17, 2012 Flag

A few ago days my son woke up with a lot of bites. Then I saw little black fleas jumping. What can I do? I got rid of my pet already. Please help.

By Sara from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you mind telling us why you "got rid of your pet" and where you re-homed it?

July 9, 2014 Flag

Our dog, Maggie (Yorki-poo) has fleas and skin allergies. We've taken her to her vet. He gave her an injection + Prednisone. And prescribed 1/2 a pill of Pred every other night. This was about 1 1/2 months ago. They gave us another round of (Pred). She still has fleas. We've sprayed the yard at least 3 times; also inside the house, furniture, drapes, everything. Can you tell me anything else we can do? These vet visits are getting really expensive and I hate seeing her so miserable. Please if you can tell us anything else I would so appreciate it. Our kids, grands, and great grands won't come until they are gone. I miss them all so badly.

By doodle-bug from Southern IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) is a natural substance. Sprinkle this on your pet, avoiding eyes and nose. Sprinkle it where you and your pet enter and exit the home, as well as on furniture, between cushions, etc. Hardwood is best: if you have it mop frequently. Carpeting: vacuum at least daily, getting rid of the bag/what's been vacuumed immediately in a secure bag.

Vigilence and persistence will help. You really have to work at getting rid of these for your poor little pet's life! Use a yard spray when your pet has just come in for the night so that it works overnight and does not poison your pet.

September 7, 2013 Flag

What do you dilute the Skin So Soft with and how much?

By Becky from Rosebud, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.beck  m/skinsosoft.htm

Should answer your questions.

December 10, 2011 Flag

I was wondering what is a great idea to control fleas on a small dog (9lb)? I have never had an issue until this year; he gets 1 to 3 on him a week. I bathe him weekly in flea soap. Not only is Frontline Plus very pricey, but I am scared of putting chemicals on him.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasOctober 14, 2011
Magnified Image of a Flea against a white background
Using Borax for Fleas
kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Magnified flea against a white background
Getting Rid of Fleas in an Apartment
Orange tabby scratching at fleas inside of house
My Home is Infested With Fleas
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 12:39:53 PM on 10.0.2.62 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.