Getting Rid of Fleas

Category Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Fleas reproduce very quickly so it is best to get rid of them as soon as you become aware of them. Not only do you need to get them off your pets, you need to get rid of them in your home too. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas.

We had a flea problem inside and outside our home. A friend of mine gave me a bucket of diatomaceous earth or also called DE. She bought it from the local feed store.

My friend uses it on her livestock, as well as, in her food to keep her wheat berries that she grinds in her mill pest free. It coats the wheat berries, but since it's food safe it's okay that she consumes it.

Make sure the kind you buy is food safe. Some pool companies sell it, but that is NOT the kind I am talking about. When you touch it, it feels like chalk. Its abrasiveness is what kills fleas, ants, cockroaches, and more. It dries them up from the inside out! It is not a chemical and is safe to use in the garden as well!

It is recommended that when you use it wear a mask to avoid breathing in the dust.

How to use: I reused an old baking powder container as it had tiny holes in the container. I sprinkled it lightly into our carpets to let it settle down and then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then, I vacuumed it up. Don't worry about trying to get it all out. The DE will work its way down into the carpet fibers and there will do its work. Anytime a pest comes into contact with it, it will dehydrate them.

One application lasts about a year. It is safe around pets and children. We have not had a single flea found inside or outside our home since. I also used it around our home to get rid of the many ant hills in our yard.

Because it's also food safe, I sprinkle about a half teaspoon in our cat's food dish. When they consume it, it also kills internal parasites.

I called the feed store to see how much it was and they sell a 50 pound bag for $20. It may vary in your neighborhood, but just to give you an idea. The bag she bought has lasted her 7 plus years and the ice cream bucket size she gave me hardly looks touched. A little bit goes a long way.

DE has many more uses. Go here to read more about it. This link (of which I am not affiliated with) has good information: wolfcreekranch

By tasana from MO

Editor's Note: Most veterinarians do not advocate the use of garlic with pets as it can be toxic, especially to small breeds. Please consult with your own vet before trying this home remedy.

• 1 cup cooked hamburger meat
  • 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast
  • 1 clove of fresh garlic, chopped
  • 1 raw egg

Directions:

Cook hamburger meat in skillet until browned, set aside to cool. Combine egg, garlic, and brewer's yeast. Add to hamburger meat, stir until blended well. Feed to dog.

Note: They love it! Use once a month to control fleas and ticks.

By DeAnn C.

Here is one to try for fleas. Take any kind of baby wipes (mark wipes container for pet use only) and add just 1/4 cup of Skin So Soft to the wipes container. This can be used daily for either cats or dogs. Be careful around the face area. I used this trick when I was a dog groomer.

By Theresa from Aston, PA

Well, it's Springtime which means it's also flea season in central Florida. We bought store brand flea poison from Wal-Mart for the sprayer and have sprayed twice a day for 3 weeks around the house and sprayed indoor flea spray in the house for the same amount of time. We treated our cat twice this month (with vet's knowledge and advice). We are still overrun with fleas.

I finally called the vet today to tell him how bad they are and we have killed some but they still hatch out daily. Vet's advice: boric acid for inside (rugs and tile), Adams Yard Spray to attach to garden hose to spray under our house, and Diatomite (aka diatomaceous earth) for a perimeter around house. We just finished with our 4-prong assault against fleas! I will post again next week for an update. Good luck to all who are facing same problem.

By Lynda from Tampa Bay, FL

Spring is here and flea and tick season will soon be in full swing. I see many people writing in and asking what to do to avoid buying the medicine that the vet prescribes for keeping them away from their animals and subsequently, out of their homes. There is nothing that works better than what you get at your vet!

I know it's expensive, but when you weigh the cost of the medicine against buying or using something cheaper and having to hire an exterminator to come and rid your home of fleas, as well as having to possibly pay for sick animals because they have had fleas and ticks on them, it makes way more sense to just bite the bullet and buy the stuff from the vet that you know will work. We had to have an exterminator one year. They don't just come once, they have to come at least twice and it is VERY expensive!

Sometimes paying a little, or even a lot more for a good product will end up saving you a lot more money in the long-run. It will also save your pet's health.

By Robin from Washington, IA

After treating your dogs, you have to do something to discourage and kill those pesky fleas from hanging around in your yard. I buy the cedar chips and sprinkle it all over the yard

Here are listed the many recipes, cures, treatments for flea infestation that I could find. This may sound like a weird subject for a recipe site, however, this can be a very serious problem.

Link: http://www.angelfire.com/ms/familydownhome/fleas.html

Borax has a skull and crossbones on it for a reason. It is very dangerous to animals. Please remember that our pets are so much closer to the ground than we are and that they have to lick themselves to get clean.

If you are in the country and find you have fleas, add Sergents to Original Irish Spring. You will see that both are the same color and basically the same thickness.

This is a guide about my dog is infested with fleas. Fleas left untreated can infest your pet and then your home.

My Dog is Infested With Fleas

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about my home is infested with fleas. Even if you do not personally have pets, your home can still become infested with fleas that you need to get rid of.

Orange tabby scratching at fleas inside of house

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about getting rid of fleas in an apartment. Whether your pet has picked up fleas or they were resident in your new apartment before you moved in it can be a chore to get rid of them.

Magnified flea against a white background

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about borax for fleas. Pet owners are frequently searching for alternatives to commercial chemical products for controlling and eliminating fleas.

Magnified Image of a Flea against a white background

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about getting rid of fleas on kittens. While topical flea treatments are readily available for older cats, young kittens will require alternative methods to rid them of these biting pests.

kitten with fleas

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

For a contact flea control in your yard, a pest control product called Evercide works great.

I have 3 cats and a dog. The fleas are in the house everywhere and everytime we get the fleas off of one animal the dog brings them back in from our huge front yard.

By Brad

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Depending on where you live, you probably have an infestation of sand fleas in your yard.

The only way to keep the fleas off your pets and out of the house is to treat yard, house, and pets on a regular basis - usually once every three-four weeks.

You can buy a mixer-spray (look for one that holds two gallons of water because it will save you time and the hassle of reloading too often during the spraying session), and a large bottle of concentrated Liquid-Sevin at most of the big-box discount stores or feed ' seeds. Also at Tractor Supply.

Follow the pesticide labelled directions to the letter for best results and to avoid killing off beneficial insects like bees.

Or you can contract with a pest control firm to come out once a month. I have done it myself for so long (since the late 80s) that I have no idea what the current cost is but if you are not comfortable doing the spraying yourself, the companies are a very good deal considering.

Either way it can seem a little expensive (the sprayer and concentrate will set you back around $75USD, with the concentrate lasting about three months and then needing replacement at about $25 a bottle) but then so are the vet bills from flea induced worms in your pets and family members.

Best Answer

I will tell you three things to do to get a hold of this situation:

First: Vacuum the carpet and then empty the bag or plasic bowl out somewhere outside into a bag and tie it so the critters don't get out.

Second: Get plain old table salt in the cylinder. Pour some in your hands and sprinkle everywhere with it. (Not the pet)

I always put it under cushions all on the floor, and even brush it down into the rug even though I don't brush it in it falls in by itself. Leave it for a day or two and then vacuum up and do it again until your fleas are gone.

Third: If you have a vacuum with a plastic pull out bucket like I do, put a flea collar in the vacuum bag or bucket.

Fourth Change the food your cats are eating. If you are feeding them cheap food with fillers in them they will attract fleas like crazy. It is because the animals immune system is compromised when given corn and by products.

I am feeding, right now, One Smartblend Chicken and Rice formula but there are lots of great cat foods with great ingredients at farm supply stores like Tractor Supply.

Also look on amazon.com and look cat flea treatments, and you will find a bunch of things you can try.

Mainly try to keep the floor vacuumed up, and a bad infestation would mean vacuuming and then sprinkling the salt again letting the salt stay for a day each time.

Don't forget to sprinkle under your sheets, on the mattress and around the bed.

I have read about putting bowls of water with a little soap on them and having a flashlight or nightlight shine on the water.

Let me know how it goes. I am actually giving this product a try. I got it in the mail today.

http://www.amaz  4PG17WBJWP74CDX8

Best Answer

First and foremost, all the pets, bedding, house, and yard need to be treated at the same time. It's the only way to completely get rid of the fleas. I would do the yard with diatomaceous earth, be sure it is food grade not the swimming pool stuff, last time I bought some at the feed store it was about $12 for a 20# bag. You can use a seed spreader, but this is like a powder so don't do it on a windy day.

Then, bath your pets in soapy water, doesn't have to be flea shampoo, any soap will kill active living fleas and comb them with a flea comb. Comb them daily for several weeks to keep the fleas off. Vacuum. Vacuum. Vacuum and then vacuum some more everyday, be sure to use the hose and get all the nooks and crannies where the eggs like to hide. Check out Motherearthnews.com for other natural flea control methods.

I read the post about the mosquito trap and wonder if something like that would work for fleas. My sister has an infestation of fleas that she cannot get rid of.

By K Callahan

Best Answer

Fill pie tins with water and a squirt of dish soap. Instead of pie tins you can use any shallow bowl. Instead of dish soap you can use any soap. Put night lights or small lamps next to each bowl. Use very low wattage bulbs, like those in night lights, or Christmas lights. You can use extension cords with the night lights if you want to place the bowls somewhere that is not close to an outlet.

If fire is not a concern, you can even use floating candles or candles in a holder that will sit inside the middle of the dish. The fleas will jump to the light and fall into the soapy water and die.

You will see a lot of fleas at first and then as the population goes down you will see fewer and fewer fleas until they are all gone. Use just a small squirt of soap. You don't want to see soap bubbles. The soap breaks the surface tension of the water so the fleas cannot stay on top of the water.

If you have pets who might want to drink the water you can put the tins in a bird cage or dog crate on the floor. You can use any type of caging. The fleas will only come to the bowls at night. Make sure the lights are dim like a nightlight. If the whole room is lit up the fleas will not know where to go.

As the fleas start to diminish you may still have fleas hiding in the woodwork. Vibrations make the fleas come out. You can use a vacuum cleaner which will cause vibrations in the floor, or just stomp around a lot before you go to bed.

Make sure that you take all the sheets off your bed once in a while to let any fleas that are trapped underneath get out. After bombing three times without success this is the only thing that worked for me. I'm not sure if the fleas are jumping towards the heat or the light. Nightlights worked fine for me. Let us know how you do.

I have a Lab who is covered in fleas and my home is all hardwood floors. I have read about salt working to kill the fleas in your carpet. I vacuum every day. Can I still use the salt on wood floors?

By Heather

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I live in England and we do not have things called bombs here but as my friend's dog has been in my home she brings fleas. I have been bitten raw this week ang help for your English friends would be welcome as my friend will not admit her dog has fleas. I have had to ban the dog from my home but how can I get rid of them with a household cure. And if my friend comes round and brings them on her clothes I need some thing that I can use after she has gone. if she wants to have bites all over her so be it but not me. So something potent but safe please that I can get in England.

This works but it's gritty. Sprinkle your floors and carpet with salt. Be liberal. Leave there for a few days. Of course you'll have to walk on it and it doesn't feel that great but the fleas will try to eat it and they'll die. Any eggs will not hatch because the salt dries them out and they can't survive. After a few days vaccum it all up. You might have to repeat the whole thing. I've done it twice before and it works every time. Plus it's cheap and non-toxic.

You can also make a flea trap. Take a baking pan and put in some water that is mixed with a little dishwashing liquid. Put it on the floor. Using a light socket and extention cords, or even a small lamp, with no shade, hang it over the pan. It should be about one and a half feet from the water. At night turn the light on, turn all the other lights off, and go to bed. In the morning you'll have a lot of dead, drowned fleas in the pan. They jump towards the heat of the lightbulb and fall in the water. Oh, by the way, the dishwashing liquid weakens the surface tension of the water, otherwise the fleas would just be standing on it, haha.

Do you have access to Diatamaceous Earth? This is what i use for pest control. You sprinkle it around, but I haven't tried it on carpet. Make sure you don't get pool grade.

Good luck!

I used to use diatamaceous earth but I noticed it says not to breath it. I still use it outside for ants & put something on it so the dogs can't breathe it. I know it's crushed seashells but I'm just a very careful person. The salt should work. I'm wondering why your friend isn't bothered by the fleas. And her poor dog is miserable. Plus it can make the dog very sick. I think I would lean on her for the dog's sake. That's just ridiculous.

Your friend needs to take that poor dog to the Vet, pronto. He or she will give the dog a preventative like Frontline or Advantage. Fleas suck the life out of an animal, they become anemic and eventually they will die.

I cannot imagine letting an animal suffer.

If you don't have a pet or small children you can sprinkle borax all around and this will kill the fleas

Pure Boric Acid works like a charm. Just sprinkle it on your dry carpets and floors, scrub in with a broom, leave for about 4 hours and then vacuum up. This is guranteed to kill fleas and any other bugs. What is great is that the boric acid is a drying agent. It kills adult fleas and also sucks the moisture out of any eggs therefor effectively ending the life cycle of any new fleas. Get your friend to do this to her house and her dog will get rid of its fleas also. The fleas do no live on the dog. They feed on the dog and then jump off into the carpet or floor where they wait until a host comes by. The boric acid residue in your carpet will continue to work until you shampoo it. After that you will need to re treat your carpet. It's a good idea to also sprinkle on furniture and then vacuum up just like your carpet. TRY IT YOU WILL BE AMAZED. I never had to put a flea collar on any of my pets after doing this. Karen

Don't know if you can buy SEVEN dust in England. It's for gardens and it's totaly safe to use in the house and on pets.

I have bad flea problems i found that brewers yeast tablets seem to work best for keeping fleas off pets they make natural ones for pets you can order them online. This is safest way i know to prevent fleas.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE WHAT BORAX IS? AS I WOULDLIKE TO GET SOME FOR MY HOME.

Cedar oil products. I have 2 dogs and all my friends have animals. I buy my products from Wondercide www.wondercide.com they just started the website. Stephanie is the owner located in Seabrook, TX and she can provide you with answers to all your questions (email link on webpage). Feel free to contact me and I can send you a detailed brochure that I have rec'd from her.

I treat the inside of the house, the yard, my animals and of course me. Cedar oil will kill the whole flea cycle as well as roaches, termites, silverfish, and just about any non-beneficial insect. It's 100% biodegradable and non-toxic. I don't even move my dishes from the cabinets to treat the inside.

We recently moved in with a friend and they have 3 dogs, a Pit Bull and two smaller dogs. The entire house is full of fleas. I have tried washing the animals in Dawn and spraying the whole house with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice with water and nothing I've tried is helping. You can't even sit on the furniture without being covered in fleas. I have a two year old and a 9 month old please help?

A few ago days my son woke up with a lot of bites. Then I saw little black fleas jumping. What can I do? I got rid of my pet already. Please help.

By Sara from Houston, TX

I was wondering what is a great idea to control fleas on a small dog (9lb)? I have never had an issue until this year and he gets 1 to 3 on him a week. I bathe him weekly in flea soap. Not only is Frontline Plus very pricey, but I am scared of putting chemicals on him. Does anyone know a safe way to keep fleas off of him?

By Peggy

I keep getting bitten. I'm a diabetic and this is not a good thing.

By VickieBerry from Madison,TN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Does anyone have a tried-true method of getting rid of fleas and keeping them off my dog?

By Joyce

What is the best way to get rid of fleas?

By Tammy

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How do I get rid of fleas? I've tried everything and am lost. My 5 pound Miniature Pinscher has fleas and I can't bear to see her go through any more. Suggestions please. :)

What do you dilute the Skin So Soft with and how much?

By Becky from Rosebud, MO

I have a Jack Russel/Chi, he is allergic to fleas. If one gets on him he scratches himself until he is bald and sore, I have tried everything except taking him to the vet, which right now I can't afford. Please can someone help? He has a smell to him and scratches himself so badly it scabs up. I have done Benadryl. I even use Advantage every month, but that also makes him itch an irritates him a lot. I tried the Comfortis pill, but it doesn't work. So I just need some advice. I will try anything, home remedies or whatever.

By Heather

I have a 7 week old Poodle/Chihuahua puppy named Liberace and he has fleas. I used hamster flea spray since I have hamster. It's not working! I give him a bath every day, but there's still fleas. I don't have a lot of money, so is there another way to get rid of them? The poor lil' thing is always itching.

By Khera from Sarasota, FL

What do fleas look like? How do I get rid of them?

By Laurie

Read former posts. 2 cups dry Borax for average size carpeted room. Leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum. Eggs, larvae and adults life cycle of fleas is about 2 weeks. Yard need cedercide granules. No poisons please.

I was gone for two weeks and I came back to my house and my dog covered in fleas. I need to know a cheap way of getting rid of them asap. My niece is here everyday and I can't let her get flea bites!

By EmilieRA from Lebanon, IL

Powdered Borax sprinkled all over your floors left on several days before vaccuming kills fleas but not their eggs. After vaccuming, if you still have the problem, repeat the process until the fleas are gone.

We had the same situation. First I sprayed everything in the house that could harbor fleas with vinegar several times, the I used salt (after everything dried) sprinkled it over all the carpeting and left for several days. Vacuumed it up - did it again. Borax also works! Just leave it long enough to do it's thing!

Get Frontline or Advantage, one dose, treat your dog. The fleas on him/her will die in one day and those left in the house will die quickly since they have no host. You can use the Borax and stuff, but the fleas will continue to live on the dog. You will save money in the long run buy actually treating the dog. Hopefully, it will not re-infest as the treatment kills the fleas and larvae. We had to do this earlier this summer and it worked like a charm.

Leave the 20 mule team borax for 2 weeks before vacuuming. Thats how long for eggs, larvae and adults. 2 to 2 and a half cups per carpeted room sifted. I like putting some in dogs bed, the couch, the chairs, the throw rugs. I like cedercide granules for natural elimination in the yard. I like a bath for my dog using 2 soapings left on for about 5 minutes each time.

My neighbor is setting off a flea bomb; do I need to leave my apartment with my cat or is it safe to stay?

Our dog, Maggie (Yorki-poo) has fleas and skin allergies. We've taken her to her vet. He gave her an injection + Prednisone. And prescribed 1/2 a pill of Pred every other night. This was about 1 1/2 months ago. They gave us another round of (Pred). She still has fleas. We've sprayed the yard at least 3 times; also inside the house, furniture, drapes, everything. Can you tell me anything else we can do? These vet visits are getting really expensive and I hate seeing her so miserable. Please if you can tell us anything else I would so appreciate it. Our kids, grands, and great grands won't come until they are gone. I miss them all so badly.

By doodle-bug from Southern IN

Load More