Browsing: Getting Rid of Fleas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Fleas

Fleas reproduce very quickly so it is best to get rid of them as soon as you become aware of them. Not only do you need to get them off your pets, you need to get rid of them in your home too. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas.

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 16, 2011 Flag

We had a flea problem inside and outside our home. A friend of mine gave me a bucket of diatomaceous earth or also called DE. She bought it from the local feed store.

My friend uses it on her livestock, as well as, in her food to keep her wheat berries that she grinds in her mill pest free. It coats the wheat berries, but since it's food safe it's okay that she consumes it.

Make sure the kind you buy is food safe. Some pool companies sell it, but that is NOT the kind I am talking about. When you touch it, it feels like chalk. Its abrasiveness is what kills fleas, ants, cockroaches, and more. It dries them up from the inside out! It is not a chemical and is safe to use in the garden as well!

It is recommended that when you use it wear a mask to avoid breathing in the dust.

How to use: I reused an old baking powder container as it had tiny holes in the container. I sprinkled it lightly into our carpets to let it settle down and then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then, I vacuumed it up. Don't worry about trying to get it all out. The DE will work its way down into the carpet fibers and there will do its work. Anytime a pest comes into contact with it, it will dehydrate them.

One application lasts about a year. It is safe around pets and children. We have not had a single flea found inside or outside our home since. I also used it around our home to get rid of the many ant hills in our yard.

Because it's also food safe, I sprinkle about a half teaspoon in our cat's food dish. When they consume it, it also kills internal parasites.

I called the feed store to see how much it was and they sell a 50 pound bag for $20. It may vary in your neighborhood, but just to give you an idea. The bag she bought has lasted her 7 plus years and the ice cream bucket size she gave me hardly looks touched. A little bit goes a long way.

DE has many more uses. Go here to read more about it. This link (of which I am not affiliated with) has good information: wolfcreekranch

By tasana from MO

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 12, 2015 Flag

We recently moved in with a friend and they have 3 dogs, a Pit Bull and two smaller dogs. The entire house is full of fleas. I have tried washing the animals in Dawn and spraying the whole house with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice with water and nothing I've tried is helping. You can't even sit on the furniture without being covered in fleas. I have a two year old and a 9 month old please help?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sprinkle table salt in carpets, under sheets, and it kills fleas.

Read More Answers...

February 23, 2005 Flag
    Editor's Note: Most veterinarians do not advocate the use of garlic with pets as it can be toxic, especially to small breeds. Please consult with your own vet before trying this home remedy.

• 1 cup cooked hamburger meat
    • 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast
    • 1 clove of fresh garlic, chopped
    • 1 raw egg

Directions:

Cook hamburger meat in skillet until browned, set aside to cool. Combine egg, garlic, and brewer's yeast. Add to hamburger meat, stir until blended well. Feed to dog.

Note: They love it! Use once a month to control fleas and ticks.

By DeAnn C.

May 20, 2010 Flag

Here is one to try for fleas. Take any kind of baby wipes (mark wipes container for pet use only) and add just 1/4 cup of Skin So Soft to the wipes container. This can be used daily for either cats or dogs. Be careful around the face area. I used this trick when I was a dog groomer.

By Theresa from Aston, PA

August 20, 2015 Flag

How do I get rid of fleas? I've tried everything and am lost. My 5 pound Miniature Pinscher has fleas and I can't bear to see her go through any more. Suggestions please. :)

Do not use Frontline, Advantage or flea dips. Deaths have resulted from the use of these chemical products.

Wash the dogs with Dawn. The bedding must be washed, carpet cleaned. Use Diatomaceous earth outside in the yard. The entire environment must be cleaned and sanitized.

Read More Answers...

May 14, 2010 Flag

I finally called the vet today to tell him how bad they are and we have killed some, but they still hatch out daily. Vet's advice: boric acid for inside, Adams Yard Spray to attach to garden hose to spray under our house, and Diatomite for a perimeter around house.

January 20, 2015 Flag

What is the best flea remedy for cats?

By Joanne

I agree with not dipping, and don't use Advantage or Frontline. Deaths have occurred from the use of these chemical products.

Dawn is considered pretty safe for an occasional bath. And you do have to wash all bedding and treat the yard with diatomaceous earth where the pets hang out. You have to treat the environment as well as the pet.

Read More Answers...

September 3, 2015 Flag

My cat ha been sneaking outside and bringing a lot of fleas into the house. What are the best home remedies for a very bad case of fleas?

If you've had the cat checked by a vet and there are no health issues, you could try giving the cat brewers yeast, in either tablet or powder form. Years ago, my vet told me about this, when my cats got fleas from a dog I had groomed. The brewers yeast makes the animal's blood taste bad to the fleas, so that they leave the cat (or dog) alone and go elsewhere. It worked for us, and one of my cats loved the tablet so much, she would pick it out of her food and eat it first! If the pet doesn't like the tablet enough to eat it, try crushing the tablet or using the powdered form, and mixing it into the food. We didn't do anything special to rid the house of fleas, but we had no carpeting for them to hide in, so that might have had a lot to do with it. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

September 18, 2009 Flag

I have 5 dogs in my house as well as 5 children. I have a flea problem. My question is: how to I kill the fleas, eggs, whatever that are on all the piles of clothes in my kids room. They leave all their clothes on the floor and I'm sure they are loaded with fleas, because they are everywhere else. Also what do I do with their stuffed animals?

I am about to go crazy. I have a very large house also (3600 sq. ft. 2 floors) so bombing and spraying is very expensive, and I'm not sure it is working. At the moment, I am sitting with a towel on my head with Dawn detergent rubbed into my head and hair. Please help.

By mammatimes5

Eucalyptus oil is poisonous to cats - do not use as a spray or otherwise around them.

Read More Answers...

June 25, 2013 Flag

Kids with the dog.I have a Lab who is covered in fleas and my home is all hardwood floors. I have read about salt working to kill the fleas in your carpet. I vacuum every day. Can I still use the salt on wood floors?

By Heather

If your dog is covered with fleas home grown remedies are probably not going to work. Get advantage or frontline or one of the monthly treatments. Fleas have a life cyle, and once you get them off the dog, he will just become reinfested. If you use the monthly treatments the hatching fleas do not have a host and the population goes way down. Then, if you dont live in a seriously flea infested area, you might get some control with other methods. Prices on some of the monthly treatments have come down just recently. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

April 14, 2005 Flag

I've got a 5 week old orphaned kitten. She didn't appear to have fleas at first but as I was bathing her, I noticed fleas going into her ear. They were too fast for me to catch. Would a flea remedy work even if the fleas go into her ears?

Aida, TX

Get to a vet quick! My sister's cat had kittens & she didn't know mama cat had fleas & she infected kittens with fleas & couple kittens died. Thanks Cookie 17

Read More Answers...

July 9, 2014 Flag

Our dog, Maggie (Yorki-poo) has fleas and skin allergies. We've taken her to her vet. He gave her an injection + Prednisone. And prescribed 1/2 a pill of Pred every other night. This was about 1 1/2 months ago. They gave us another round of (Pred). She still has fleas. We've sprayed the yard at least 3 times; also inside the house, furniture, drapes, everything. Can you tell me anything else we can do? These vet visits are getting really expensive and I hate seeing her so miserable. Please if you can tell us anything else I would so appreciate it. Our kids, grands, and great grands won't come until they are gone. I miss them all so badly.

By doodle-bug from Southern IN

I would try one of the instant flea control products from your Vet. I have indoor cats, so only used it once 7 years ago. Dogs who go outside are a totally different ballgame. I would sure try the diatomacous earth, and then use the flea control products that your Vet recommends. Also keep in mind that skin irritation can also be a food allergy, and not always fleas.

When the fleas are gone, if your dog still is itching, try some hypoallergenic foods until you find the one that works. There are some good posts on this site. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

July 21, 2013 Flag

I have 3 cats and a dog. The fleas are in the house everywhere and everytime we get the fleas off of one animal the dog brings them back in from our huge front yard.

By Brad

I will tell you three things to do to get a hold of this situation:

First: Vacuum the carpet and then empty the bag or plasic bowl out somewhere outside into a bag and tie it so the critters don't get out.

Second: Get plain old table salt in the cylinder. Pour some in your hands and sprinkle everywhere with it. (Not the pet)

I always put it under cushions all on the floor, and even brush it down into the rug even though I don't brush it in it falls in by itself. Leave it for a day or two and then vacuum up and do it again until your fleas are gone.

Third: If you have a vacuum with a plastic pull out bucket like I do, put a flea collar in the vacuum bag or bucket.

Fourth Change the food your cats are eating. If you are feeding them cheap food with fillers in them they will attract fleas like crazy. It is because the animals immune system is compromised when given corn and by products.

Here is a link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Good-Cat-Food-for-Cats

I am feeding, right now, One Smartblend Chicken and Rice formula but there are lots of great cat foods with great ingredients at farm supply stores like Tractor Supply.

Also look on amazon.com and look cat flea treatments, and you will find a bunch of things you can try.

Mainly try to keep the floor vacuumed up, and a bad infestation would mean vacuuming and then sprinkling the salt again letting the salt stay for a day each time.

Don't forget to sprinkle under your sheets, on the mattress and around the bed.

I have read about putting bowls of water with a little soap on them and having a flashlight or nightlight shine on the water.

Let me know how it goes. I am actually giving this product a try. I got it in the mail today.

http://www.amazon.com/Capsules-flav ... UTF8&refRID=06FA4PG17WBJWP74CDX8

Blessings, Robyn

Read More Answers...

September 7, 2013 Flag

What do you dilute the Skin So Soft with and how much?

By Becky from Rosebud, MO

I spray it on myself straight from the bottle. and smooth it all over. Smells great and keeps skin soft and the fleas hate it.

Read More Answers...

May 17, 2012 Flag

A few ago days my son woke up with a lot of bites. Then I saw little black fleas jumping. What can I do? I got rid of my pet already. Please help.

By Sara from Houston, TX

Wow I also was stunned to hear that you got fleas so rid yourself of the animal? I am an animal lover and I'm having a problem with fleas right now. I've fogged I've treated yard, home, and all animals I couldn't imagine giving up my dog I've had for 12 years! What I did instead was try make us and her comfortable by getting her treated cause he's exactly right these animals don't ask for it.

There just as miserable if not worse than you are. I don't know your circumstances but I would def think about it more in the future if you want an animal. Gotta go kill some more fleas! Lol

Read More Answers...

August 15, 2012 Flag

After treating your dogs, you have to do something to discourage and kill those pesky fleas from hanging around in your yard. I buy the cedar chips and sprinkle it all over the yard

Load More
        Home and Garden Pest Control FleasOctober 14, 2011
        Magnified Image of a Flea against a white background
        Using Borax for Fleas
        Magnified flea against a white background
        Getting Rid of Fleas in an Apartment
        Orange tabby scratching at fleas inside of house
        My Home is Infested With Fleas
        Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 8:10:46 AM on 10.0.0.42 in 928 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.