Flea Remedies in England

Category Fleas
While brand name products are not necessarily available in all countries, there are many common products you can use to get rid of fleas in your home. Some examples are salt, diatomaceous earth, and boric acid. Not all of these are used on the pet, some are for the home and yard only. This is a guide about flea remedies in England.

I live in England and we do not have things called bombs here but as my friend's dog has been in my home she brings fleas. I have been bitten raw this week ang help for your English friends would be welcome as my friend will not admit her dog has fleas. I have had to ban the dog from my home but how can I get rid of them with a household cure. And if my friend comes round and brings them on her clothes I need some thing that I can use after she has gone. if she wants to have bites all over her so be it but not me. So something potent but safe please that I can get in England.

Answers

Best Answer

This works but it's gritty. Sprinkle your floors and carpet with salt. Be liberal. Leave there for a few days. Of course you'll have to walk on it and it doesn't feel that great but the fleas will try to eat it and they'll die. Any eggs will not hatch because the salt dries them out and they can't survive. After a few days vaccum it all up. You might have to repeat the whole thing. I've done it twice before and it works every time. Plus it's cheap and non-toxic.

You can also make a flea trap. Take a baking pan and put in some water that is mixed with a little dishwashing liquid. Put it on the floor. Using a light socket and extention cords, or even a small lamp, with no shade, hang it over the pan. It should be about one and a half feet from the water. At night turn the light on, turn all the other lights off, and go to bed. In the morning you'll have a lot of dead, drowned fleas in the pan. They jump towards the heat of the lightbulb and fall in the water. Oh, by the way, the dishwashing liquid weakens the surface tension of the water, otherwise the fleas would just be standing on it, haha.

By Karen (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Pure Boric Acid works like a charm. Just sprinkle it on your dry carpets and floors, scrub in with a broom, leave for about 4 hours and then vacuum up. This is guranteed to kill fleas and any other bugs. What is great is that the boric acid is a drying agent. It kills adult fleas and also sucks the moisture out of any eggs therefor effectively ending the life cycle of any new fleas. Get your friend to do this to her house and her dog will get rid of its fleas also.

The fleas do no live on the dog. They feed on the dog and then jump off into the carpet or floor where they wait until a host comes by. The boric acid residue in your carpet will continue to work until you shampoo it. After that you will need to re treat your carpet. It's a good idea to also sprinkle on furniture and then vacuum up just like your carpet. TRY IT YOU WILL BE AMAZED. I never had to put a flea collar on any of my pets after doing this. Karen

By Kim (Guest Post)

Do you have access to Diatamaceous Earth? This is what i use for pest control. You sprinkle it around, but I haven't tried it on carpet. Make sure you don't get pool grade.

Good luck!

By Vic (Guest Post)

I used to use diatamaceous earth but I noticed it says not to breath it. I still use it outside for ants & put something on it so the dogs can't breathe it. I know it's crushed seashells but I'm just a very careful person.

The salt should work. I'm wondering why your friend isn't bothered by the fleas. And her poor dog is miserable. Plus it can make the dog very sick. I think I would lean on her for the dog's sake. That's just ridiculous.