Eco-Friendly Flea Remedies

Category Fleas
Most flea remedies use harsh and sometimes toxic chemicals. There are some eco-friendly options that are safer for your pet and the environment. This is a guide about eco-friendly flea remedies.

To keep fleas at bay, you can spray your pet and the bedding and carpets with Wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol. It's an easy, inexpensive solution for an occasional flea. I use a topical flea preventative, but I still saw a few fleas from time to time until I tried this.

Source: A friend

By Kathy J. from Plymouth, CT

Give your dog brewers yeast daily. Use 1 tsp per 30 pound dog. Mix in food. Brewer's yeast can be found at most health food stores. It works really good.

By Angel C. from Brockville

Cut 6 lemons in half, boil a quart of water, add lemons to water and let steep for a few hours. Then strain the solution into a spray bottle. Spray on pet's fur; do not use on the face. You can also apply spray to your hand and rub on your pet's fur.

By coville123

For inexpensive flea prevention blend equal amounts of dried chamomile and dried pennyroyal. Stuff the mixture into homemade fabric bags. Place these pillows in kitty's bed, on their favourite windowsill, floor area, or other popular spots. It is a refreshing, chemical-free way to keep the fleas away from our precious pets. (Pennyroyal can be purchased at the health food store, usually in bulk.)

Source: The Workbasket magazine, September, 1991

By Leanne from Williams Lake, BC

The simplest way to get rid of fleas on your pet is to shampoo it. It doesn't have to be a special flea shampoo. Any shampoo (or liquid soap, like Dawn) will do since any shampoo will suffocate the fleas. We've used both baby shampoo and regular dog shampoo with great success. Remember to start with the head so that the fleas can't run into your pet's ears and nose.

Also, I highly recommend a raw diet for your pets. Cutting out the carbohydrates and other useless ingredients contained in pet "food" will make your pet less tasty to both fleas and mosquitoes.

Source: Shampoo tip from our experience. To learn about raw diets, please see

By Sherry and Three Rescue Westies from Dallas, TX

For a carpeted room: Use 2-3 cups of dry 20 Mule Team Borax in a colander to sift it in carpeted rooms. Leave it for 2 weeks for their life cycle to finish before you vacuum. I had no fleas for at least a year and a half. In the late 80s Flea Busters was charging $250 to go through a small house with this very same 20 Mule Team Borax, guaranteeing it to be non toxic.

For an average yard: Scatter cedercide granules (a natural product). A little goes a long way. Five pounds lasts more than a year and you can order it online.

Many commercial flea treatments are made of harsh and sometimes toxic chemicals. There are some natural alternatives. This is a guide about natural flea treatment for dogs.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Does any one have a home remedy for a flea allergy on my dogs tummy? Sally needs something to help her now. I've used sprays and shampoos and she will still scratch and chew. It only takes 3 or 4 fleas to start. I don't have a picture of her, but she is half Border Collie.
Thanks so much for any help,
Sally and mom.
p.s. would oatmeal rub help?

By S L H

Answers

If it's just on her tummy it may not be a flea allergy. It could be a food allergy.

Please read my former posts. You need numerous things. Borax the house for flea control, build immune system, diet change and itch control. One flea can set off a flea allergy that is really miserable. Poisons are not the answer. Poisons enter the liver and kidneys. There are natural solutions that work in the long run. The allergy might have started with a vaccine.

With no disrespect to you or the "post" advise the person you should be talking to is your Veterinarian there are several well recommendable products available but this could be caused by other issues if fleas are only on one particular part of the animals body. Good luck.

Use Frontline or other produce to Prevent fleas before they get there.

How to get rid of fleas from yard and house and pets. Eco friendly remedies, please.

Joe from Georgia

Answers

Dawn dish soap. Works well.

Very I have been putting on the floor shallow bowls of water with a little dish detergent around the House it's amazing how many you can catch this way, I picked up some sergeants cat Shampoo to give my new C.C. Boy a bath, he was covered with Fleas, it seems to be keeping them off of him.1 thing I did since it work so well on him I'd put about 3 tbsp. of the shampoo in a spray bottle of water and I've been misting the carpet in the floors and it has really knocked the flea population down I don't know if it's going to attract dirt eventually but so far I'm pretty much flea free I do a light misting every other day. There are nematodes that you can spray around the yard that will consume the flea and eggs and it even kills a large grubs' of the Green beetles

When we lived in Fl we were bombarded with fleas. The vet told me to give my Chihuahua baths with any dish detergent and the secret was to keep it on and sudsy for at least 10 minutes - which drives the dog nuts - she hates baths, but it works at killing the little beasties.
He also told me to sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on her food. I know many people believe garlic is bad for dogs but it worked for her and she is now 16 years old and as feisty as ever!

Might be worth looking into diatomic earth. I know it works on roaches, but maybe on fleas too? It is NOT a pesticide. It is actually made from the shells of tiny creatures (diatoms) and the sharp edges cut up the shells of insects leading to them drying out and dying. It's non toxic (although not a good idea to breathe the dust, it's physically irritating, just not poisonous.)

I don't think it's all that expensive, and a little goes a long way and would probably be perfect for the house and yard.

Also- I too have heard that a good old fashioned bath with Dawn dish detergent can help, along with getting a flea comb to try to comb some of the critters out!

Hope something works for you!

Put some brewer's yeast and/or garlic into their food. It helps control fleas.

Dry 20 mule team Borax - about 2 to 2 and a half cups in a colander to sift into carpeted rooms. That's the average room. Leave for 2 weeks for life cycle to finish before you vacuum. No fleas for at least a year and a half. Late 80's Flea busters was charging $250 to go through a small house with this very same 20 Mule Team Borax guaranteeing it to be non toxic.

Average yard - scatter cedercide granules, a natural product. A little goes a long way. 5 pounds lasts more than a year. Order online. Build your pets immune system with good foods. Some raw is best but forget the Purina and go specialty foods with no corn wheat or soy. More expensive but they eat less and feel better because their nutritional needs are met.

No vaccines to destroy the immune system. Read any anti vaccine site for ingredients in vaccines. Mercury, aluminum. antifreeze, rotting animal parts and loads of disgusting things. Study how often times parvo vaccine gives parvo. Research is beautiful and lifesaving.

Benefical nemotodes. These are predatories to fleas only. Spray on yard in spring. Pet or vet supply catalogs,and some gardening catalogs sell them. Also plant insect repellant plants like mint, crysanthumums, alliums, maragolds, pennyroyal, rosemary, misquito geranims etc i the yard or in low ground sitting pots. You can also use diatomacious earth sprinkled in yard. Its dusty tho. Hope this helps

My dog has sores from biting at fleas. Will the lemon remedy burn if I put it on her?

By Karen S.

Answers

It probably will if your putting in on raw spots.

If you have only one or 2 pets then by all means cut out something you can do without and buy the spot on treatment for them. There is no better way to save you and the animal from stress and bites.

My cat has sores from scratching where the fleas have bitten her, and these nasty buggers love to bite my kids too. How can I safely treat my cats and kill all the fleas to keep my kids from any further bites?

By atlas