Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets

Please test your cat for allergies to flea meds by applying only one drop at a time. Flea meds almost killed my cat. I've been up all night, every hour force-feeding water to my cat. He was so sick, he went 48 hours without eating or drinking anything and had a fever after I applied the recommended dosage of "Advantage" flea drops to his neck (which I bought at the vet).

Thankfully today, he's feeling much better and is eating and drinking again. What a scare that was. I've since heard many stories of seizures and foaming at the mouth in cats with allergies or sensitivities. My friend tried just one 1 drop and his cat started foaming at the mouth!

I believe the dosage on these "once monthly" flea drops (for the back of the neck) should read: Apply half now then the other half in 2 weeks. This way their little bodies won't be overwhelmed with so much toxic poison at once. My cat is allergic to the "natural" flea drops (they contain strong peppermint and eucalyptus oils). So next time I will try just one drop of "Revolution" (a different brand) and if he has no reaction after 24 hours, I'll only apply half the dose and the other half 2 weeks later. After calling my vet, they say these products can shut down their organs (like kidneys and liver) and also cause seizures in many cats. I wonder why you don't hear about this until it happens to your cat? I hate to give him anything toxic like this, but I'm extremely allergic to fleas.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

3 More Solutions

Use a comb to part and hold up the dog/cat's fur when applying spot-on flea treatment. I comb the fur in the opposite direction from the way it grows. In other words, I comb it upwards to expose a good line of the skin.

I followed the package directions when applying flea treatment to my Numi cat and placed it between the shoulder blades. Well, Mr. Flexible had no trouble twisting around to lick the spot, sigh.

I put flea and tick squeeze-on on my dog. How fast does it work? My dog has been scratching like crazy! That's why I put the medicine on him.

By Renae M.

Answers

The squeeze on will certainly help but is only a temporary remedy. You will still need to thoroughly clean his bed, use flea powder on the carpet and vacuum, and treat the ground outside where he spends time.

Answer this Question
Pets CatsDecember 3, 2012
🎉
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Applying-Topical-Flea-Medication-on-Cats.html